Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Alvia train Barcelona - Pamplona with Mountain bike.... Bike travel bag needed?

Craig Nolan

Past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances 13/09/2017 ->
Hi All,

I walked Camino de Frances in Sept 2017 but this year I have decided to cycle the same route.

I have a train booked from Barcelona to Pamplona (Alvia train) I am a little confused if I can take my bike onto the train or not?

People tell me it should be no problem but others say I may need to remove wheels and handlebars and place into a bicycle bag.

Has anyone got any info regarding this please as Id rather not have to take apart the bike before getting on the train.

Buen Camino todos
Craig

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Past OR future Camino
Hi All,

I walked Camino de Frances in Sept 2017 but this year I have decided to cycle the same route.

I have a train booked from Barcelona to Pamplona (Alvia train) I am a little confused if I can take my bike onto the train or not?

People tell me it should be no problem but others say I may need to remove wheels and handlebars and place into a bicycle bag.

Has anyone got any info regarding this please as Id rather not have to take apart the bike before getting on the train.

Buen Camino todos
Craig
From the trainline website:
"On Alvia trains, bicycles will be considered hand luggage if they are disassembled and stored in a case with dimensions that do not exceed 180cm when added together.

Those that exceed this measure will be considered “special luggage” and must be disassembled, with the pedals removed and the handlebar turned 90º, and stored in a case of the following maximum dimensions: 120 x 90 x 40 cm."

and from RENFE's FAQ pages:
"Can I travel with a bicycle?
Yes, as long as it is folded and kept in a container not larger than 120 cm x 90 cm (3.9 x 2.9 feet). This is a complimentary service."

Take your spanners ;)

Craig Nolan

Past OR future Camino
From the trainline website:
"On Alvia trains, bicycles will be considered hand luggage if they are disassembled and stored in a case with dimensions that do not exceed 180cm when added together.

Those that exceed this measure will be considered “special luggage” and must be disassembled, with the pedals removed and the handlebar turned 90º, and stored in a case of the following maximum dimensions: 120 x 90 x 40 cm."

and from RENFE's FAQ pages:
"Can I travel with a bicycle?
Yes, as long as it is folded and kept in a container not larger than 120 cm x 90 cm (3.9 x 2.9 feet). This is a complimentary service."

Take your spanners ;)
Very useful thank you, that was something I had not taken into consideration to be honest.

I am struggling to find a bag suitable for 29 inch wheels, any ideas?

Corned Beef

Past OR future Camino
Id rather not have to take apart the bike before getting on the train.

Unassembled bikes can travel on Regional Express, Cercanías (Commuter) lines or Media-Distancia. Don't believe there is an MD line out of Barcelona but here is the list of MD lines

An alternative would be to use a Carrier to get a boxed/dissembled bike from B to P - as most Spanish bike hire companies do. Check this out

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
My experience with packing a bike on a bus was similar but the individual drivers on different lines were able to enforce their own rules several times and refused to allow me to stow the bike and forced me to wait for the next bus.

Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Barbara

Past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte (twice)and Primitivo, Sureste, In France From home Tours and Vézelay, also Le Puy.
I had a bike transported by Correos. Looked as if it had been loaded by dropping it into a container then dropping heavy weights on top. One wheel needed a rebuild and the box was shredded.

Corned Beef

Past OR future Camino
Looked as if it had been loaded by dropping it into a container then dropping heavy weights on top.

The ones in SdC were very good and got mine back in perfect condition.

But as the saying goes "If you are going there (Pamplona), I wouldn't start from here (Barcelona).

Peregrinopaul

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
Hi Craig,
I'm a little confused. You do not say how you are getting to Barcelona, or from where. If you are flying in, is the bike already bagged for the flight?
I have faced a similar problem, flying to Madrid from Australia with my much-loved Scott carbon MTB. I bit the bullet and bought an expensive Evoc soft bag for the trip. I used this for the train journey to Seville, and then forwarded the bag to Santiago while I rode the VdlP. Re-bagged, and flew out.

Craig Nolan

Past OR future Camino
Hi Craig,
I'm a little confused. You do not say how you are getting to Barcelona, or from where. If you are flying in, is the bike already bagged for the flight?
I have faced a similar problem, flying to Madrid from Australia with my much-loved Scott carbon MTB. I bit the bullet and bought an expensive Evoc soft bag for the trip. I used this for the train journey to Seville, and then forwarded the bag to Santiago while I rode the VdlP. Re-bagged, and flew out.
My apologies for not being clear. I live in Barcelona (lucky me). Have train booked from here to Pamplona. I have managed to find a bike bag now. Im contemplating cycling from Pamplona to SJPP and back again the next day.

Learn Spanish for the Camino
Enhance your Camino experience by learning about the Spanish language and culture.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Barbara

Past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte (twice)and Primitivo, Sureste, In France From home Tours and Vézelay, also Le Puy.
The ones in SdC were very good and got mine back in perfect condition.

But as the saying goes "If you are going there (Pamplona), I wouldn't start from here (Barcelona).
Yep, indeed. Correos managed to mangle mine between SdC and Poitiers.

Barbara

Past OR future Camino
My apologies for not being clear. I live in Barcelona (lucky me). Have train booked from here to Pamplona. I have managed to find a bike bag now. Im contemplating cycling from Pamplona to SJPP and back again the next day.
That's an impressive ride. What's wrong with starting from Pamplona?

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads