• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alvia train Barcelona - Pamplona with Mountain bike.... Bike travel bag needed?

Craig Nolan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances 13/09/2017 ->
Hi All,

I walked Camino de Frances in Sept 2017 but this year I have decided to cycle the same route.

I have a train booked from Barcelona to Pamplona (Alvia train) I am a little confused if I can take my bike onto the train or not?

People tell me it should be no problem but others say I may need to remove wheels and handlebars and place into a bicycle bag.

Has anyone got any info regarding this please as Id rather not have to take apart the bike before getting on the train.

Buen Camino todos
Craig

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi All,

I walked Camino de Frances in Sept 2017 but this year I have decided to cycle the same route.

I have a train booked from Barcelona to Pamplona (Alvia train) I am a little confused if I can take my bike onto the train or not?

People tell me it should be no problem but others say I may need to remove wheels and handlebars and place into a bicycle bag.

Has anyone got any info regarding this please as Id rather not have to take apart the bike before getting on the train.

Buen Camino todos
Craig
From the trainline website:
"On Alvia trains, bicycles will be considered hand luggage if they are disassembled and stored in a case with dimensions that do not exceed 180cm when added together.

Those that exceed this measure will be considered “special luggage” and must be disassembled, with the pedals removed and the handlebar turned 90º, and stored in a case of the following maximum dimensions: 120 x 90 x 40 cm."

and from RENFE's FAQ pages:
"Can I travel with a bicycle?
Yes, as long as it is folded and kept in a container not larger than 120 cm x 90 cm (3.9 x 2.9 feet). This is a complimentary service."

Take your spanners ;)

From the trainline website:
"On Alvia trains, bicycles will be considered hand luggage if they are disassembled and stored in a case with dimensions that do not exceed 180cm when added together.

Those that exceed this measure will be considered “special luggage” and must be disassembled, with the pedals removed and the handlebar turned 90º, and stored in a case of the following maximum dimensions: 120 x 90 x 40 cm."

and from RENFE's FAQ pages:
"Can I travel with a bicycle?
Yes, as long as it is folded and kept in a container not larger than 120 cm x 90 cm (3.9 x 2.9 feet). This is a complimentary service."

Take your spanners ;)
Very useful thank you, that was something I had not taken into consideration to be honest.

I am struggling to find a bag suitable for 29 inch wheels, any ideas?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Id rather not have to take apart the bike before getting on the train.

Unassembled bikes can travel on Regional Express, Cercanías (Commuter) lines or Media-Distancia. Don't believe there is an MD line out of Barcelona but here is the list of MD lines

An alternative would be to use a Carrier to get a boxed/dissembled bike from B to P - as most Spanish bike hire companies do. Check this out

My experience with packing a bike on a bus was similar but the individual drivers on different lines were able to enforce their own rules several times and refused to allow me to stow the bike and forced me to wait for the next bus.

I had a bike transported by Correos. Looked as if it had been loaded by dropping it into a container then dropping heavy weights on top. One wheel needed a rebuild and the box was shredded.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Looked as if it had been loaded by dropping it into a container then dropping heavy weights on top.

The ones in SdC were very good and got mine back in perfect condition.

But as the saying goes "If you are going there (Pamplona), I wouldn't start from here (Barcelona).

Hi Craig,
I'm a little confused. You do not say how you are getting to Barcelona, or from where. If you are flying in, is the bike already bagged for the flight?
I have faced a similar problem, flying to Madrid from Australia with my much-loved Scott carbon MTB. I bit the bullet and bought an expensive Evoc soft bag for the trip. I used this for the train journey to Seville, and then forwarded the bag to Santiago while I rode the VdlP. Re-bagged, and flew out.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Craig,
I'm a little confused. You do not say how you are getting to Barcelona, or from where. If you are flying in, is the bike already bagged for the flight?
I have faced a similar problem, flying to Madrid from Australia with my much-loved Scott carbon MTB. I bit the bullet and bought an expensive Evoc soft bag for the trip. I used this for the train journey to Seville, and then forwarded the bag to Santiago while I rode the VdlP. Re-bagged, and flew out.
My apologies for not being clear. I live in Barcelona (lucky me). Have train booked from here to Pamplona. I have managed to find a bike bag now. Im contemplating cycling from Pamplona to SJPP and back again the next day.

The ones in SdC were very good and got mine back in perfect condition.

But as the saying goes "If you are going there (Pamplona), I wouldn't start from here (Barcelona).
Yep, indeed. Correos managed to mangle mine between SdC and Poitiers.

My apologies for not being clear. I live in Barcelona (lucky me). Have train booked from here to Pamplona. I have managed to find a bike bag now. Im contemplating cycling from Pamplona to SJPP and back again the next day.
That's an impressive ride. What's wrong with starting from Pamplona?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All,

Buen Camino todos
Craig
I’m on an Alvia train from Pamplona to Burgos right now. Good news is we got our bikes on, though I’d have to report a similar experience to an earlier responder in regards to bus drivers.
Regardless of what the website, or the person you buy your ticket from, or the person who checks your ticket on the platform says, the decision will be up to the conductor of the train you get on.
Person at the station who sold us the ticket said we didn’t need a special bike ticket. The lady checking tickets said we had to pay extra for the bikes, so I went back to the ticket window where they said no, they don’t charge extra for that. When we got on the train the conductor asked for the tickets for our bikes!
He also had a differing opinion from all other sources of info on how far the bikes needed to be broken down. We had pedals off, bars turned and front wheel removed and the bikes were covered, which is what the web page and the guy in the ticket office said to do. The conductor said you had to remove both wheels, and that it’s ok this time but next time we would not be allowed on the train. Our bikes ended up in a corridor at the far end of the train, and he was flustered and acted like he’d never seen a bicycle on his train before and generally made us feel like we’d done something wrong.
Bottom line, there isn’t a lot of luggage space on this train. If I had to to do it over again I would take both wheels off and get the bike to be as small as possible.
Hope this can help someone.

Yep, indeed. Correos managed to mangle mine between SdC and Poitiers.
How was your bike packed, was it in Correos’s paq bici ? A strong cardboard box. I’m planning on using them next month. They say on their website bikes are insured for damage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How was your bike packed, was it in Correos’s paq bici ? A strong cardboard box. I’m planning on using them next month. They say on their website bikes are insured for damage.
Yes, dismantled as required. Arrived a lot flatter. Front fork squished, one wheel twisted.

Yes, dismantled as required. Arrived a lot flatter. Front fork squished, one wheel twisted.
Oh that’s a bit disappointing. I’m sending my bike to Sevilla next month using Correos so I’ll take plenty of before and after fotos and post an update. Other options of train or coach all seemed a bit hit and miss and open to their discretion so I’m really hoping Correos ‘deliver’.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.