• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alzheimer's

My wife has developed Alzheimer's. She has walked over 1000 km on the Frances, Portuguese, and Inglese carrying her pack, but now she is having a hard time walking. I don't want to leave her behind when I walk. I want to go back with her. I would like to walk the Finisterre/Muxia route or the Sanabres route from Ourense. I would like to have someone walk with us to help me with my wife. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you very much.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
@robwalker Are there people in your family or in your group of close friends who would be able to help you out? This would mean that your wife might feel more safe with people she " remembers " than meeting new people.

But yes it is doable. I know of a couple where the husband developed young dementia and he and his wife walked the Frances but stayed in private places all the way.

All the best!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just to say that pursuant to a PM with @robwalker, I have added him to the private group “Caregivers and the Camino.” We are a small group of forum members with caregiving challenges in our daily lives and ongoing yearnings to be back on the camino. If anyone else is in the same situation, and would like to join our little group, PM me.

Non-members of the sub-group can see that in fact there is a “members only” private group for caregivers, but the threads and our posts are not visible outside the sub-group in order to preserve the privacy of the members.

Buen camino, Laurie

@robwalker -

Several years ago, a friend of 40 years wanted to walk the Camino Frances. He had, however, been diagnosed with Frontotemporal Dementia a handful of years earlier. He had actually been featured in an article in Forbes about the disease a couple years before.

His wife, knowing that I had walked, asked me how his wishes could be fulfilled...basically the question that you ask in the OP. Hmmmmm...

After some back-and-forth with his doctors, she gave me a list of potential problem situations and what parts of daily life/routine did not pose a problem at all. That empowered me to suggest myself as a guide. For both my friend and I, it turned out to be one of the most important events in our lives. So, my advice is simply, "Fear not!"

For relevant (maybe) background, my Camigo had three major needs of me: 1) His diminished executive function put me in charge of timely "getting out of town" in the morning and the "keeper of routine" upon arrival in the afternoon/evening. 2) For the same reason as above, I was totally in charge of his mix of medications on a daily basis. 3) His fine motor skills were slightly impacted and impacted both his gait and ability to listen to his body...so I provided a lot of first aid on his feet between SJPP and Moratinos.

PLEASE feel free to PM me (via the envelope icon just right of your sign-in avatar and look there to start a new conversation) if you wish to share concerns, pre-trip logistics, etc. The topic might tend to a more intimate conversation than you wish to have in a public forum.

I may not come back to you immediately but your post now has my full attention and I will look for any response as time permits.

B

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@robwalker -

Several years ago, a friend of 40 years wanted to walk the Camino Frances. He had, however, been diagnosed with Frontotemporal Dementia a handful of years earlier. He had actually been featured in an article in Forbes about the disease a couple years before.

His wife, knowing that I had walked, asked me how his wishes could be fulfilled...basically the question that you ask in the OP. Hmmmmm...

After some back-and-forth with his doctors, she gave me a list of potential problem situations and what parts of daily life/routine did not pose a problem at all. That empowered me to suggest myself as a guide. For both my friend and I, it turned out to be one of the most important events in our lives. So, my advice is simply, "Fear not!"

For relevant (maybe) background, my Camigo had three major needs of me: 1) His diminished executive function put me in charge of timely "getting out of town" in the morning and the "keeper of routine" upon arrival in the afternoon/evening. 2) For the same reason as above, I was totally in charge of his mix of medications on a daily basis. 3) His fine motor skills were slightly impacted and impacted both his gait and ability to listen to his body...so I provided a lot of first aid on his feet between SJPP and Moratinos.

PLEASE feel free to PM me (via the envelope icon just right of your sign-in avatar and look there to start a new conversation) if you wish to share concerns, pre-trip logistics, etc. The topic might tend to a more intimate conversation than you wish to have in a public forum.

I may not come back to you immediately but your post now has my full attention and I will look for any response as time permits.

B
I don't know how to PM you. I don't see the envelope icon where you say it is. sorry for my ignorance.

Okay, I will send you one then just to establish connection.

Come back to this thread and let me know if you have trouble following through....

I have to now prepare dinner for the bride and myself but will try and check later this evening...tomorrow morning at latest. (I am in the USA, Pacific time zone.)

B

Hi, @robwalker. This might help you. I put my mouse on your picture and up comes the bigger picture with your details. There is a button at the bottom of that picture that says start conversation. That lets you have a pm, private message, with whoever you choose. The person will get an email message and go to their messages on the top bar of the forum sections, and will be able to read your message, and reply. Hope this is useful.

Screenshot 2020-05-27 at 08.53.48.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello robwalker,
Are there alzheimers organisations local to you that might have volunteer contacts? I can imagine a young person, or any age actually, who might welcome such an adventure where they can walk in company and be of help, doing something they might never do otherwise. If you can afford to sub some of their expenses in return it might be a solution. I think similar things happen on a larger scale with organised groups going to Lourdes etc where volunteers give assistance to those with disabilities, but the catch might be that they get their trip funded in return. This might well be an issue for you, but you never know, there could be someone who would fund themselves but lean on you for the past experience, organisation of the trip and having someone to walk with if they wouldnt do it alone.
You sound positive and a can-do person so i think you will find a way, meanwhile, best wishes to you both.

Hi robwalker!

I sent you a message yesterday, posting here in case you didn't see it.

Cheers, Sara

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My wife has developed Alzheimer's. She has walked over 1000 km on the Frances, Portuguese, and Inglese carrying her pack, but now she is having a hard time walking. I don't want to leave her behind when I walk. I want to go back with her. I would like to walk the Finisterre/Muxia route or the Sanabres route from Ourense. I would like to have someone walk with us to help me with my wife. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you very much.
Hi Rob.
When are you planning to go?
I know what you are going through, my mother (96) has vascular dementia, a wicked condition.
I am a recently retired nurse and completed my 3rd Camino last October.
If the time was right for both of us, I would certainly come along and help.
I stress the time would have to be right for the both of us, as we are both fully aware what we have to contend with.
I will try and send you a private message, but I'm not that hot on technology.... 😂
Stay safe.....😉

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back