• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I a vindictive swine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
Used a discount carrier recently. You didn't get thru the gate until your carry-on baggage was both measured and weighed.
1. Quite a few unhappy people about, paying a minimum of $49 for excess.
2. A few resigned people, knowing they had attempted to break the rules and been caught.
3. And some others, like me, who had the correct dimension bag and were within the weight restrictions.

I was really happy to see the restrictions being strictly policed for once.
I wish they'd do it all the time.
Am I a vindictive swine?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hmmmm, I think we need some theologians to contribute their thoughts here. To me, schadenfreude is not an emotion to which many persons would eagerly admit. Sure, I think it is a very human emotion and anyone who is honest with himself would have to own up to feeling it at some point or other, if not admit it to others, at least admit it to himself. Now .... and I'm just mulling this over .... what you refer to, Gerard, as possibly being a 'vindictive swine' and I refer to as 'shades of schadenfreude' is pretty mild (indeed, I laughed at it) but I think we all know that that emotion can become very ugly, very fast and, I'm wondering now...At what point does it become ugly and just downright uncharitable?

And is it okay if, as in this instance, it is directed to non-pilgrims? I'm not sure. Sorry, Gerard, but you did pose the question. ........ Oh, I so miss my dear friend and confidante, a former Catholic priest, who is no longer with us. He would have been able to put all this in wonderful perspective for me.

Last edited:
Well, if the rules were known beforehand, there's nothing to feel vindictive about.
Some people broke them and paid for it. Simple like this.

(If you agree or not with the rules is another matter, but in this case, I don't see why people should NOT comply :p)

Some thoughts..

It seems philosophically,that you followed the suggested rules and as a matter of course were let through as a metaphorical reward for doing so.

Why feel any guilt for following the rules?

It seems that ex.1 and 2 tried gaming the system and lost.

Be at peace within yourself, you did nothing wrong by following the regulations.

Rules
Regulations
Laws

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think there are a some of layers of guilt and righteousness going on here.
The OP feels righteous for being within the regulations.
The OP feels righteous, seeing others who violate the rules are caught, shamed, and fined.
The OP feels ashamed for feeling righteous when others are shamed and fined.
Everyone in the queue feels harassed by "jobsworths" who measure their baggage.
Everyone in the airport knows the arbitrary measurements stem from skinflint, deceptive airline executives who clearly view their customers as cash dispensers.
Everyone, including the jobsworth measuring the luggage, feels exploited by the skinflint executives whose "policies" have all the force of law.
No one feels they can do anything about it, seeing as they paid 30 pounds for the flight...

I thoroughly approve of laws that are designed for the common good. Human flourishing in community!
Assuming the rule is to enable common comfort, there is no need to feel guilty when it is enforced.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
An existential quandary
Is it a metaphorical example of the bigger picture for society and the corrosive effects of living in a system of cultures... slowly falling into darkness?

The few bright stars of a dying galaxy,swallowed slowly by entropy,will shine the brightest... as they are the last.

When final hour comes,oh candle in the firmanent
Will you still shine for us
If not for beacon?
Then votive..in requiem

:D:D Shades of schadenfreude !!!
With all due and gentle respect
Is it Schadenfreude?
In my interpretation of the Op,he took no glee,no pleasure in the misfortune of the other passengers,only the pleasure at not being detained.pleasure being satisfaction at not being detained or inconvenienced by the keepers of the gate of his goal.

Can't comment on other countries, YMMV etc. My experience, living like Gerard the Legend OP, in oz, is that if you buy a ticket online, the rules for carry on luggage are made very clear. There is only so much space in overhead lockers. As Kanga rightly points out, these rules are designed for the common good. IMO the airlines are only to be faulted for not enforcing them. There's a current thread dealing with the frustration and problems this engenders.

Gerard, a vindictive swine would point, laugh loudly and say 'serves you right'. Only a saint could not savour a quiet internal smirk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Schadenfreude, I am embarrassed to say I had not heard this expression before and had to ask Mr. Google what it meant. Yes we all suffer a little from it.
There is a story here about a tourist visiting a little fishing village in Ireland, she saw a bucket with some crabs on the Quay near a boat, she called the fisherman and told him one of the crabs was about to escape, he told her not to worry that these were Irish crabs. When she asked what that meant he told her that when one of the crabs tried to escape over the rim of the bucket the other crabs pulled it back in.
Slightly different from Schadenfreude but there is probably a bit of that in us too.

It's ridiculous the size of some passenger's carry-on bags. I've sat there and watched them stuff bags into the overhead bins bags bigger than my checked-in bag. Not to mention it slows down the whole boarding process.
Yeah, they got busted and paid the pied piper. They knew the regulations and restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Everyone in the queue feels harassed by "jobsworths" who measure their baggage.
there are reasons, for carry on baggage size limits, overhead bins are of a certain size for each passenger to have a bag of a certain size to have a place to put it, a full plane and , yes they need to measure the bags, not a full plane and they are more lenient, if you have ever boarded a plane as the last passenger this is made apparent when everone gets made at you for holding things up while the flight attendants take your bag to be tagged and checked in the cargo hold.

No, Gerard, you weren't a "vindictive swine".

If your fellow passenger's cabin luggage had passed unchecked whilst being over-size and/or over-weight and you had then reported them as such and thereby had them fined/banned.
Now that would have been vindictive.

At worst you were just a bit smug at your own "goodness" and them being caught out!

But as to your porcine state?
Far be it for me to pass comment!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
while the flight attendants take your bag to be tagged and checked in the cargo hold.
On the kind of budget airlines that are the topic of this thread you will never see this happen ;).

I think we are also talking about the kind of budget carriers where you are told, while standing (no seats to be seen anywhere) for a long time in a long line waiting for boarding, to put your purse or tiny handbag into your carry-on case because you are only allowed one item to take with you into the cabin.

This one's been around for a while:

Biff
I LOVE this one! I always have a chuckle when I watch it! Brilliant!

Am I a vindictive swine?
You might well be, but the case isn't made based on your example. Claiming such a serious qualification needs you to have wreaked out a special and consistent revenge, and a single incident where you were not the perpetrator but merely a casual bystander is not sufficient. Please provide more evidence if you really think there is a case to be made :rolleyes:.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
With all due and gentle respect
Is it Schadenfreude?
Probably not. Certainly not in any strict sense anyway. That's why I couched it as "Shades of ......." I like the way @Lachance put it, "Only a saint could not savour a quiet internal smirk."

As to your reference to an 'existential quandary,' I once asked one of my nearest and dearest what is 'existentialism.' The response was that if I had to ask the question, I probably would not understand the answer.

Existentialism.
Oh yeah. I got that figured.
That's like when the Ryanair Purser says to the Pilgrim,
"Your bag is too big. You'll have to pay a 49 euro excess fee."
And the Pilgrim says "No way."
They stand glaring at each other until finally another Pilgrim says "Look cobber, just do what she says, pay the excess!"
And the first Pilgrim replies, "No way, I believe in existentialism. I make my own decisions."

Yeah, I got that.

Nothing wrong with the system, problems are 1) rules are not regularly and rigorously enforced and 2) there is always some idiot/s who insist on trying to avoid the regulations.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We're always in sardine class, and on 14 hour flights it's a real pain if the cabin is cluttered with bags under seats because there is not enough room in the overhead lockers. These flights usually have a generous checked luggage allowance too.

Really? Uh, we are supposed to be grown ups here! Do you really care about this? If more people were concerned about dealing with their own stuff, then the rest doesn't really matter. Gloat as much as you like if it makes you feel better.

Really? Uh, we are supposed to be grown ups here! Do you really care about this? If more people were concerned about dealing with their own stuff, then the rest doesn't really matter. Gloat as much as you like if it makes you feel better.
One could say the same thing about rants on the subject of litter. Some of us are interested in one thing, others another. The forum gives us an opportunity to express our views in a variety of topics knowing that we here are a minority of pilgrims who walk to SDC. Even if we convinced everyone here to behave in a way we would find acceptable, that it would be but a drop in the ocean.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One could say the same thing about rants on the subject of litter. Some of us are interested in one thing, others another. The forum gives us an opportunity to express our views in a variety of topics knowing that we here are a minority of pilgrims who walk to SDC. Even if we convinced everyone here to behave in a way we would find acceptable, that it would be but a drop in the ocean.

How you can equate ranting about litter and wanting other people to affirm one's feelings, which by the way are not on the highest level as gloating about the fact that other people are being penalised for not following the rules while one did follow the rules is infantile - are completely different. So the author of the comment expressed his views, and I expressed mine. We have expressed, as so did you. But then, if we could but change the mind of one person, that would be another drop in the ocean...

Hi, Tangodiver, I think most of these posts are done in good humor and some are quite tongue in cheek. Every now and then it's nice to have a break in the stream of "should I wear boots?" "How do I get to SJPP?" "Should I take a sleeping bag" -- don't give up on us, we rally round the serious questions, too! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Tangodiver, I think most of these posts are done in good humor and some are quite tongue in cheek. Every now and then it's nice to have a break in the stream of "should I wear boots?" "How do I get to SJPP?" "Should I take a sleeping bag" -- don't give up on us, we rally round the serious questions, too! Buen camino, Laurie

Haha! I don't expect there to be always serious questions, but this boggled my mind to the point where I thought 'Are you for real? Do you really want people to tell you that your ok for having these thoughts?' The time I rely on other peoples opinions of me, remind me to slice my wrists. As they say, what other people think of you is none of your business. I think my next post will be what is the best lipstick/lipgloss to wear on the Camino. I might actually get some good ideas for next time when I do The Portuguese Way! :)

€149,-
Haha! I don't expect there to be always serious questions, but this boggled my mind to the point where I thought 'Are you for real? Do you really want people to tell you that your ok for having these thoughts?' The time I rely on other peoples opinions of me, remind me to slice my wrists. As they say, what other people think of you is none of your business. I think my next post will be what is the best lipstick/lipgloss to wear on the Camino. I might actually get some good ideas for next time when I do The Portuguese Way! :)

Well, if you do a search on the forum using the words lipstick and lip gloss you will find that many forum members have already voiced very clear opinions on that topic as well. :)

The other thing is that you should check out some of gerardcarey's posts -- he has a wicked sense of humor and is a truly gifted writer. I think many of us read this post with that context in mind and saw it as a lighthearted lob rather than a serious request for validation.

Some of his writing:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/argumentative-in-ayegui.35295/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/lazarus-rising.33900/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/in-logrono…-where-i-found-jesus.30344/

Buen camino, Laurie

The other thing is that you should check out some of gerardcarey's posts -- he has a wicked sense of humor and is a truly gifted writer. I think many of us read this post with that context in mind and saw it as a lighthearted lob rather than a serious request for validation.
I must admit that I made a light-hearted response to @gerardcarey's post, but I also thought that it was a more general observation about human nature. In this particular case the smugness that one might feel when others are caught out not complying with a rule that we ourselves have obeyed. The question asks us to reflect on whether our own attitudes in similar circumstances represent the best of our nature, or something less. To treat it as superficially seeking some affirmation would be to miss the point entirely.

I wish Airlines would do the measuring of luggage when you check in, it would give people time to stuff their excess stuff in their suitcase or wear it! I think it's awful to see people being humiliated in front of others. Also all Airlines should have the same rules as it's confusing to some people. I flew with Flybe for the first time and was so relieved at how well it went though I was apprehensive beforehand. There is a new Saturday flight from Birmingham to Biarritz. However I prefer flying LHR to Madrid and will be doing that next year, all is included in the price and there are some bargains. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, if you do a search on the forum using the words lipstick and lip gloss you will find that many forum members have already voiced very clear opinions on that topic as well. :)

Some of his writing:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/argumentative-in-ayegui.35295/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/lazarus-rising.33900/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/in-logrono…-where-i-found-jesus.30344/

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for this, I didn't realise I needed to do a background check before I replied to a thread, but will certainly look into that next time. ;) As for lipstick, I'm all for it if it makes you happy. Mine had sunscreen. :)

I must admit that I made a light-hearted response to @gerardcarey's post, but I also thought that it was a more general observation about human nature. In this particular case the smugness that one might feel when others are caught out not complying with a rule that we ourselves have obeyed. The question asks us to reflect on whether our own attitudes in similar circumstances represent the best of our nature, or something less. To treat it as superficially seeking some affirmation would be to miss the point entirely.

Thank you for pointing out what you may consider my shortcoming when I said in my post about litter "I can feel mildly superior because I take my own crap with me!" I do feel good about myself for doing my bit for the environment and not being a pain in the ass in another country. I don't assume that people who post on this forum do the same as there are many who come here who may not have done a camino before. If I feel a little bit smug, it is not at the expense of someone else's discomfort or hardship, and ironically the only people that suffer are the one's that do their bit because the ones who don't are completely oblivious, otherwise they wouldn't do it in the first place. Also, I don't need confirmation from others when karma kicks in and people get what they deserve. You say that the author didn't gloat: Quote:
I was really happy to see the restrictions being strictly policed for once.
I wish they'd do it all the time.
Am I a vindictive swine?

He was happy. How is that not gloating? So what, he gloated. Who really cares? If this is tongue in cheek, then as far as I'm concerned, all comments and replies are fair game. I am now utterly done with this conversation. Sue me if you don't think I got the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
This community is a bit like a big group of friends and acquaintances who meet up at the cafe, bar or break room at work and discuss everything under the sun but mainly Camino related stuff. If it was all serious it would get a bit boring after a while and a bit of humour from time to time is a pleasant relief. We may not always agree with each other on various issues but the main thing to remember here is not to take posts like this too seriously or get too animated by them, these are the fun ones, the ones that make us smile and brighten up our day and we thank @gerardcarey for them, long may he post them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This community is a bit like a big group of friends and acquaintances who meet up at the cafe, bar or break room at work and discuss everything under the sun but mainly Camino related stuff. If it was all serious it would get a bit boring after a while and a bit of humour from time to time is a pleasant relief. We may not always agree with each other on various issues but the main thing to remember here is not to take posts like this too seriously or get too animated by them, these are the fun ones, the ones that make us smile and brighten up our day and we thank @gerardcarey for them, long may he post them.
Here here!

Long live levity!

"Infantile"?

Needy of affirmation? Point was entirely missed.

@Icacos got it right: this was just some good fun Schadenfreude and sanctimony. We feel so self-righteous when the sister or brother get caught doing something "bad"---such a delicious feeling! Ha ha, busted :)

Drink a couple glasses of wine and read this entire thread. It will make you laugh....

Long live levity.

Agreed, CaminoDebrita

Gerard's question was semi-rhetorical and posited in a light-hearted self-mocking way.
Lost in translation

Many years ago I was staying with a family in California
Outside it was hissing down with rain.
Looking out the window I commented in, I thought, an ironic tone:
"Isn't it bl**dy wonderful?"
"Oh, you like it, do you?"
Same problem
Lost in translation.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
After flying so much while working overseas and witnessing all manner of rude, obnoxious, thoughtless, selfish, etc fellow passengers on airliners I have no problem admitting to smirking when I see one get nailed for ignoring a regulation or rule. I could never understand what comes over people when they board an airplane? Are they idiots like that everyday? Huge carry-on's. Ignoring attendants requests to shut off electronics. Whining about the meal (it came out of a microwave, what do you expect?). Passengers getting drunk. And the list goes on. Honestly, I'd just as soon ride on a military transport if I could. Sit on a jump-seat, buckle in. Put on a set of hearing protectors and zone out. Who cares about movies and meals. It's the destination not the flight that counts, right?

Can't comment on other countries, YMMV etc. My experience, living like Gerard the Legend OP, in oz, is that if you buy a ticket online, the rules for carry on luggage are made very clear. There is only so much space in overhead lockers. As Kanga rightly points out, these rules are designed for the common good. IMO the airlines are only to be faulted for not enforcing them. There's a current thread dealing with the frustration and problems this engenders. .

It's not really about "following the rules" it really a matter of safety. Overloaded overhead lockers can (and DO) open it rough weather or very rough landings thus endangering passengers in that area of the plane. Passengers exceeding the carry-on limits contributed to an accident in the US - result around 20 people dead. So YES limit your carry-on baggage to the weight and size allowed. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.