• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I crazy or does this happen to all peregrinos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElizabethB8246

It's now just under 3 mos until I leave for Spain. Arriving in Madrid, my plan is to train to Burgos and start the next day. Anticipating 19 days of walking, leaving 2 'extra' days as just in case options.

So, as my type-A tendencies illustrate for you above, I was feeling all prepared and excited.

Then I started reading some of the posts on the forum.

So now I have doubts (or perhaps, better phrased as questions?) - things like:

1) have I thought realistically about the time to walk from Burgos to Santiago?
2) what if someone flashes/harasses me on the Camino? (you did note that I said I had been reading A LOT of the posts, right?)
3) do I have the right gear?
4) what happens if I end up bringing bedbugs home?
5) can I really do this?

Of course I realize that the closer I get, the more natural that my fears/anxieties are trying to dominate the experience for me.

And some things I cannot help - one example is that one of my dearest friends and her husband bought me my backpack for the trip as a gift. (Gregory women's Jade 50). It's bigger than what I have seen recommended, but I know I don't have to pack it full.

There have been so many good experiences in planning up to this point, that I think maybe the cure to my anxiety is just to focus on the kindness and support of my friends and family. And to get all the rest of the things I need for my trip in September.

And if it's not a cure, then at least I've shared my anxieties with however many folks take a few minutes to read this.

There's the one thing it seems I'll really need to have a lot of on the Camino - humility. That and a good sense of humor. Oh, and no bedbugs... And maybe...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

If not, you can adjust your trip on the road. Don't worry.. be happy!

2) what if someone flashes/harasses me on the Camino? (you did note that I said I had been reading A LOT of the posts, right?)
First of all, this has happened to a VERY SMALL NUMBER OF PEOPLE. We're talking 3 to 5 out of thousands. It just doesn't happen that often. If someone flashes you, take his photo, report him to the police, or point and laugh,depending on your mood. Don't worry... be happy!

If you do not, you will drop some in the FREE BOX, and pick up some in the FREE BOX or purchase it at one of the many sporting goods stores along the way. Don't worry.. be happy!

I have never heard of one pilgrim bringing bedbugs home, although it could have happened. Just read the literature they give you at the albergues, read my blog on bedbugs and if you DO get bugs, take care of it immediately. That way you'll be sure not to bring them home. Don't worry... be happy!

5) can I really do this?
YES! Just go and DON"T WORRY! BE HAPPY!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dear Elizabeth,

Just go for it! It will all work out! Remember... The Camino will provide.
Pack light! You don't need a lot of stuff.
Just think of yourself as the woman who is going to turn her head to the west and tell
yourself that you can do it, and then do it!!!

Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is about 490 km from Burgos to Santiago. Covering that distance in 19 days is going to be a challenging task. You won't know if you can do it until you have done it, so try to calm your nerves by accepting the possibility that you will cover part of the distance on buses. After about a week, you will know if you can keep up the pace you will need. There are plenty of opportunities to skip portions from Leon to Sarria. The two extra days will help you a lot, so it is good that you have them available.

falcon269 said:
. There are plenty of opportunities to skip portions

Falcon is quite right - take it easy - no need to race - you can always get a bus or taxi to catch up.

Make sure that you do have a whole day in Santiago and that it is not a 10 minute rush through the cathedral and straight on to a flight - after all , you have walked almost 3 weeks to get there.

The Fab new albergue at Burgos is a good place to start - I guarantee you that you will make a friend on your first night -

Deep breaths - and relax - and enjoy ....... there is an experience of a lifetime awaiting you. :)

And some things I cannot help - one example is that one of my dearest friends and her husband bought me my backpack for the trip as a gift. (Gregory women's Jade 50). It's bigger than what I have seen recommended, but I know I don't have to pack it full.

I have chosen the Gregory women's Jade 50 because it "fits" me. If you focus on weight of the pack instead of capacity, you will find you still have a challenge. From what I have read, a number of others have chosen this pack also. Thank your friends for the gift that saved you a considerable amount of money!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
best solution to kit and distance is doing some preparatory walking
put all your stuff in the bag and walk for 8 hours, and see how far you get
this will be the daily distance you can cover
cant assist with the fear of being flashed - perhaps you can ask family and friends to acclimatize you so the shock is not so great if it happens
re the bedbugs, unfortunately this is not allowed - theres an EU ruling against the importation of domestic pets across borders
re humidity - do be careful here, theres lots of it on the camino

Hi Elizabeth
in a way I envy you your fears its normal after all it is a big thing you do,all of us who walked have felt like this on our first Camino-now us repeat offenders just take it in our stride and lose a little of the magic,and have nothing else to do but big it up on our posts and moan about how its not what it was-how better it was in passed years the bed bugs-the litter-the flashers-the crowds ect.
trust me it will be the same for you as it was for us-a life changing uplifting experiance you will remember for the rest of your life.
on the bed bugs I have walked 4 Camino's and only been bitten by them once-the rule on getting home is never take your pack inside your home before washing every thing including your gear first-either that or visit a friends or someone whose not a friends house first :wink:
try and enjoy your wait you will certainly enjoy the way
buen camino
Ian

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"The Camino will provide".

Before my first camino, that sentance would not make any sense to me - I'm the analytical type. But after at least 1,000 miles is makes absolute sense.

Don't rush. Take advantage of all the pilgrams who want to help, talk to hositaleros, enjoy the art, eat lots of ham. Most importantly, be open to all sorts of new experiences.

On my first camino, I only stayed at a few albuerges thinking I needed my privacy. Since then I have stay exclusively at albuerges. I didn't need what I thought I couldn;t live without. Each trip has been different and staying and sharing with other pilgrams has become critical important to me.

Who knows what the next camino will bring? Walking into the (mostly!) unknown is a big part of the experience.

Have fun, don't rush, don't worry. There is so much wonder and simple kindness on the Camino.

Buen Camino,

Jeff

5) can I really do this?

1.) No, you are not even close to realistic. Major fantasy
2.) This is very likely, and the trauma will last for years. We're talking waking up screaming. Most perigrinos will agree, they are living with it.
3.)No, that pack will catch the wind and blow you over. Hourly.
4.)Bedbugs will be minor compared to the other diseases.
5.) No. be working on your Spanish. You'll need it for the ambulance.

There---I've guaranteed you a great trip. No matter what, it will be wonderful, compared to what I'm predicting. :) Have a buen camino, and enjoy proving me wrong!

Newf, not fair! I want to say that being flashed is a joke! It is not something to be concerned about, as flashers are just that. Being flashed for the first time is indeed somthing that is shocking but waking up at night screaming! I don't think so.
I have a plan for bedbugs, take your stuff and put it in a dryer. The heat will kill the bugs before you take them home or at least as soon as you get home. What other diseases! Now really.
Your pack should be light, if you think you MIGHT need something, leave it at home as you can get whatever it is there. You likely won't need it.
Take a Spanish language guide with you. The locals across the Camino know what Pilgrims need and want, it is not difficult to be understood.

I leave for my third Camino on Tuesday across the Del Norte. Would I be going back if things were that bad?
Buen Camino dear Pelegrina!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Elizabeth, can you exchange your pack for a smaller one? I was happy with my 40 liter pack. The only thing I wished for more of was clean underpants. 4 pair was not enough, and they are so light.

Flashing: I think asking friends to acclimatize you is funny but probably not helpful. Or maybe it would be asking to much? I dunno...

Bon cami!

@Ellen the Pesto you have been caught out by an old thread! All the posts before yours were back in 2011. I think Elizabeth's camino has well and truly finished by now.

I'll close the thread, just so others don't get similarly caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back