• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I crazy to think about walking the Via de la Plata in July-Aug?

Mark Petersen

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés 2014
Norte/Primitivo 2015
VLDP 2016
Yes, I know it will be super hot. But the summer window is the only one I've got. I walked the Francés last summer, then went to Sevilla for a week so I am familiar with how hot the south can be.

Is there anywhere that will tell me how many peregrinos are on the way at that time of year?

Thanks amigos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes it's hot but very doable. I walked last July and there were very few others.It got a bit busier after Zamora but the most people in any albergue was about 15

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, but you must carry a LOT of water.
I tried it and we ran out of water and many of the fountains were dry.
There were VERY long stretches with dry fountains, dry wells, no water, no houses.
It was dangerously hot the year we walked.
I'd never attempt walking in summer again on that route. Nope.

My first V'ia de la Plata was in July, did Sevilla-Zamora. Also did Zamora-Muxia in July.

The first time there were 5 of us in Guillena after day 1, one left a few days after as couldn't stand the heat, another had to stop to heal blisters after day three, one couple went on and I walked with an Italian until Zamora. We were alone in the albergue except for some cyclists here and there.

From Zamora we were a handful and we walked together until Santiago. More pilgrims along the Sanabres in the summer than from Sevilla.

I always had 3.5L water with me from Sevilla. The temps from Zamora were only low 30's.

Most thought us crazy walking from Sevilla in July. It was hot but doable. I would repeat without question.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone for your comments and for sharing your experiences. I get up early so will likely leave at 5 and try to do most of my walking before noon if I do this route.

Thanks everyone for your comments and for sharing your experiences. I get up early so will likely leave at 5 and try to do most of my walking before noon if I do this route.

I did the Via de la Plata last August. I had the same idea to beat the heat by starting early in the morning, but you have to remember that it does not get light out until about 7-8am. The Via de la Plata is much more desolate and not marked as clearly as the Frances, so it will not be so easy to navigate in the dark. Don't worry, however, your body will adjust to the heat-just carry plenty of water. You can spend an extra day in Seville to help get acclimated, too. It is a beautiful hike and you will love it, Buen Camino!

Roderick

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I see you are from Canada and although you have experienced the summer in Sevilla I doubt you really understand what the 45 degree days will entail. You will need to adjust your pack weight to around 8-9 kg before water and you will need at least 2 and on many days 3 litres. I would also have a look at the suggested root stages - there are a number of days when 25-30 km is suggested. So you are going to need to start as early as possible - carry a head torch and start around 5.30 am. We had a post about this some months ago and the poster said that when necessary they stopped for 2 or 3 hours in middle of the day (took a siesta) and finished later in the day. Also have a look at the accommodation available (I will try to find the link and post separately) - you will find that many of the albergue are closed during this period so you may need alternative accommodation.
As reported above do not expect to see any person on the Camino. Also how is your Spanish? If poor may I suggest you do a crash course during the coming months as away from the major towns/cities there is not a lot of English spoken. I would also recommend that you schedule at two rest days - say in Merida and Salamance and maybe Ourense (if time permits). So buen Camino.
PS/BTW take an unlocked mobile and get a Spanish SIM so that you can ring ahead to book accommodation as necessary. :)

Well, even if you walk from 5 in the morning till noon only, bear in mind you might not find it easy to rest and recover during the day, even some nights it might be around 30 degrees, which makes it impossible to have a decent sleep.

Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is no reason for the alberges to be closed (except for the odd ones of the Junta de Extremadura but that is old information).
My pack was 5 kg max (what do you need in the summer?) and 3.5L water usually with a can of Aquarius thrown in. We left between 5.30-6.00 am and didn't need a lamp.
Some people do better in the heat than others but what amancio says is true - sleeping is tough in the heat. It just doesn't cool down, ever. From 10.00 am till you sleep it is hot. It was the first time that I understood why people take a siesta!

I did the Via de la Plata last August. I had the same idea to beat the heat by starting early in the morning, but you have to remember that it does not get light out until about 7-8am. The Via de la Plata is much more desolate and not marked as clearly as the Frances, so it will not be so easy to navigate in the dark. Don't worry, however, your body will adjust to the heat-just carry plenty of water. You can spend an extra day in Seville to help get acclimated, too. It is a beautiful hike and you will love it, Buen Camino!

Roderick

Roderick - thank you for the encouragement.

I see you are from Canada and although you have experienced the summer in Sevilla I doubt you really understand what the 45 degree days will entail. You will need to adjust your pack weight to around 8-9 kg before water and you will need at least 2 and on many days 3 litres. I would also have a look at the suggested root stages - there are a number of days when 25-30 km is suggested. So you are going to need to start as early as possible - carry a head torch and start around 5.30 am. We had a post about this some months ago and the poster said that when necessary they stopped for 2 or 3 hours in middle of the day (took a siesta) and finished later in the day. Also have a look at the accommodation available (I will try to find the link and post separately) - you will find that many of the albergue are closed during this period so you may need alternative accommodation.
As reported above do not expect to see any person on the Camino. Also how is your Spanish? If poor may I suggest you do a crash course during the coming months as away from the major towns/cities there is not a lot of English spoken. I would also recommend that you schedule at two rest days - say in Merida and Salamance and maybe Ourense (if time permits). So buen Camino.
PS/BTW take an unlocked mobile and get a Spanish SIM so that you can ring ahead to book accommodation as necessary. :)

Great advice... thank you St Mike! Good recommendations re pack weight. Fortunately I am fluent in Spanish and lived in the tropics. I am hoping to pause for rest days, and if needed am flexible for accommodation.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'll be on the VDLP starting 9/16. I'm living in Texas where we see a lot of 38° days in summer. I hope training in similar conditions to Andalucia will get me ready. One problem for me will be that I will be train on mostly flat terrain. I found a training program online that includes a lot of core and lower body strengthening exercises and suggestions for treadmill incline. Will see if 3.5 L of water will be enough to walk several hours. As I understand , there are often no water sources between towns on vdlp.

I'll be on the VDLP starting 9/16. I'm living in Texas where we see a lot of 38° days in summer. I hope training in similar conditions to Andalucia will get me ready. One problem for me will be that I will be train on mostly flat terrain. I found a training program online that includes a lot of core and lower body strengthening exercises and suggestions for treadmill incline. Will see if 3.5 L of water will be enough to walk several hours. As I understand , there are often no water sources between towns on vdlp.

I've always worked on needing about 1 litre per hour.
The Larapinta trail website recommends carrying 6 litres in conditions that I expect are quite similar to the harsher days in Extremadura.
I know I used about 0.5l/hr today and it was 30 degrees plus.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just looked up how much water weighs. It's 1 kg or about 2.2 pounds! I've packed most of my gear minus skirts, blouses, and rain jacket and I'm already up to almost 7 kg.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm trying to test out how much water my body needs. Yesterday I did the first warm weather walk I've done since our cool Texas winter weather. At 83 °F/ 28.33C 5 miles/8km at my slow pace, I drank a liter of water. This is just the beginning of the warm weather here so have time to acclimate to warmer and warmer temp. I think physiologically, if not just psychologically, your body/kidneys get used to it. Will bite the bullet and carry whatever it takes on the Vdlp, where water resources are iffy. Lived in San Antonio,where there is an Army base, many years ago where every year at least one recruit died during summer basic training due to kidney failure. Don't know exactly the mechanism but the combination of breaking down of muscle during strenuous physical activity and lack of water wreak havoc on your kidneys. Confusion can set in also leading to errors that could be hazardous if not fatal.

Some of those longer stretches warrant putting some electrolyte powder in the water too. I'm assuming a dry climate similar to Central Australia. Well, there you do not notice the heat because the sweat evaporates straight off your skin and as a result people end up in hospital regularly due to dehydration as they just don't realise they are dry. This morning when I walked to work it was 30 degrees but with a heat index of 37.6 and I was drenched in sweat which tested out the quick dry and the low odour capacity of my clothes to the max. But I drank 500 ml in the hour it took to get there.

http://www.eurometeo.com/english/read/doc_heat is an interesting page with a Humidex table and Thom's discomfort table. Use the historical data from wunderground.com and it's quite interesting. Seems like the humidity really builds up in the afternoon up to the early evening.

I'm just getting an idea of my local conditions. Last Saturday the minimum temperature I experienced was 26 deg at 94% humidity which was warm but pleasant and it got up to 33 deg and 59% humidity which was getting a bit hot and sweaty and I was looking for shady areas to walk in.

So the Humidex suggests strong discomfort for the first and serious danger for the second.
The weekend before it was "strong indisposition sensation" throughout which explains why I stopped at every cafe to test their iced coffee along the way.

I have a friend who is using the Humidex in his medical research and it seems to be a good predictor of susceptibility to some viruses ie reported cases and admissions.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Saint Mike II, I was just reading a book by Tony Kevin titled Walking theCamino, a Modern Pilgrimage to Santiago about his pilgrimage on the Mozarabe. He didn't see many others on his hike but since he knew Spanish he was able to spend time talking to Spaniards. He describes some memorable experiences.

Howdy from another Texan who is planning to walk the VDLP starting in mid-September.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Howdy, santiago_67. Looks like you've had a lot of experience on the camino. Will you be coming off one pilgrimage in July and doing another in September/October?

Yes, I know it will be super hot. But the summer window is the only one I've got. I walked the Francés last summer, then went to Sevilla for a week so I am familiar with how hot the south can be.

Is there anywhere that will tell me how many peregrinos are on the way at that time of year?

Thanks amigos.
We walked from Sevilla to Santiago starting on July 21 2011. I have written a book on our walk called Tortoises on the Via de la Plata. I weighed 17stones, I did no training and I was only used to walking 3-5 miles a couple of times a week. It is hot and it is lonely. But you will only need one change of clothes and, after Salamanca, a jumper because it is freezing in Galicia, and carrying 3 litres of water, which is soon drunk, makes your pack very light. Our packs were 5kg plus water. The other thing is to take dried fruit. Do not take salt as has been suggested. We ate some salted peanuts as a snack on the way to Fuente de cantos and nearly died from dehydration. If you like salt you can eat it in the evening. It is sugar that gives you the boost you need.

Thanks amigos.
Here is the extract from my book regarding eating salt. It is the route from Monasterio to Fuente de Cantos:

"Where’ve you been?” said Alan.

“Huh,” I said.

“You were miles away.”

“Oh. Yeah. I was just thinking.”

“About?”

“Nothing.”

“OK don’t tell me,” he said. “Sun’s up. It looks like we’ve crossed the border.”

I stared at the bleak, empty wilderness around us. At first, I was confused. What a lonely place. Where was everyone? Then I remembered the blog. The one Alan had mentioned this morning. Back in London, when I read it first, I had pictured the vultures circling the sky as they waited to feed on my body. But the vultures, even if they had once been there, had flown. There was nothing left alive in this limitless, homogeneous land. Nothing but parched ochre, an infinity of scorched sand and gravel beneath a stark, distant sky. This was desertification. The end of life looked like the ends of the earth and the end of a world we once knew.

Alan cried out in pain.

“What’s up?” I said.

These stones keep stabbing my feet. They’re killing me.

My heart echoed his painful cries. I felt so alone, even with Alan beside me. Although the path ahead was clear, it was empty. Every sign of life had gone, even my ghosts had deserted me.

Alan wanted some sensible proof that life still existed. He looked at the guidebook. From somewhere outside myself, I hear him speak.

“It says there’s a river around here somewhere.”

I stared into the bleak future. I could see forever.

“That’s rubbish,” I said.

“Alright. I didn’t say it. The guide book did.”

“All that’s here is this pile of rocks.”

Now I had spoken, I realised how much I needed to hear my voice. So I spoke superfluously. I made a joke about a yellow arrow painted on one of the rocks.

“That arrow’s a bit pointless,” I said.

My unnecessary remark fell on its face, flapped and died. It was just more irritation, just another stone in our shoes.

As we settled down into despair, we heard a sound behind us, a strong tapping sound. Krischen appeared to us. Seeing him was like finding the river. If he was with us, we were not alone.

“Hello,” he said, his bright, intelligent voice sang out.

We had met Krischen and Daven the evening before. Krischen was a cherub, born on the same day as Jamie. Krischen was twenty-one and a theology student, a scholar on a mission. This was his fourth Camino. He carried a huge wooden staff, and an equally huge Bible, under his arm, close to his heart.

“Hi,” we said in unified gratitude. And then, so we could linger in the life he offered, “Where’s Daven? Aren’t you two travelling together?”

“No. I only met him yesterday. He was still in bed when I left.”

Krischen talked for a few moments and then with a Buen Camino, he was gone.

He didn’t appear to struggle under the weight of his huge Bible and his huge rucksack. With wings on his heels he crossed the desert sands and disappeared again, leaving us to rub the dust from our eyes in wonder. Though he was gone, his ‘Buen Camino’, the pilgrim’s blessing, and his warm smile lingered.

We found a smidgeon of shade, a tree and a few stones that had once been part of a wall. We had been walking for hours so we decided it was time for breakfast. Our snack, some peanuts and a can of sardines each, was interrupted by Daven, who grinned like the Cheshire cat when he saw us.

“Buen Camino,” he said.

Daven was young as well, in his mid, to late thirties. His blond hair waved from his face and his forget-me-not eyes, framed with long lashes, made him the picture of innocence too. But there was something in his devil-may-care smile that haunted me. His eyes scanned us as we ate. I could feel his disapproval in the merest flicker of a frown which momentarily darkened his bright young features and quickened my pulse. He opened his mouth to say something, but seemed to change his mind. He closed it then opened it again.

“Only seven or eight kilometres left,” he said, sauntering off.

I thought I was annoyed with him.

‘He gets up late,’ I fumed, and then he saunters past, staring at us as though there’s something wrong with us.’

Then I realised I wasn’t annoyed with him at all. He was merely a convenient scapegoat. It was me I was annoyed with. Why couldn’t I walk any faster? He’d only just got up. He’d already passed us. We’d been going for hours. Why couldn’t we keep up with him?

As we walked my thirst ignited. I drunk some water. Then I drunk some more, and then I finished it all. No amount of water could quash my raw, flaming, throat.

“Please, can I have some of your water Al?” I said. “I’ve drunk all mine but I am so thirsty.”

“I’ve drunk all my water too and I’m gagging.”

“We need Krischen,” I said, trying to be witty.

“Huh?”

“With that great big staff he could have done like St. Thomas a Beckettdid on his pilgrimage.”

“What did St. Thomas a Beckett do?”

“Struck the ground and caused a spring to rise, a holy well.”

The desert sand annoyed Alan. He threw my wit back into my face.

“Yeah. Or you could ask God. He gave you a bottle the other day.”

That was the end of the conversation. How dare Alan torment me? I knew it was true even if he didn’t want to believe it. We walked on in strained silence. Then I saw another sign. Two signs in fact.

One said we had walked one hundred and fourteen kilometres from Seville. The other one said we still had eight hundred and eighty-nine kilometres to go. My rucksack kicked me. How could it possibly be that many? I felt as though I’d walked to Santiago, and back, already. My feet were burning, my legs were burning and my throat, well that was on fire. I’d be lucky if I made the next eight hundred and eighty-nine metres.

At the edge of town, as we were gasping our last, we saw three old men sitting on a bench. They reminded me of the three wise monkeys. Perhaps they were. Breaking their customary vow of silence, they chattered away to each other, squealing with excitement as we approached. They looked at us and laughed. Then they looked away and laughed. They kept alternating between looking up and looking away until, when we drew near them, one spoke.

Peregrinos?”

We nodded because we our throats were too dry to speak.

Locos!”

Again they screeched with laughter.

I tried to laugh too, but I couldn’t swallow the lump in my throat.

They were right. We were crazy.

Fortunately the Albergue sold cold beers and, what is more, it was a very nice place to stay.

Jabea, the hospitalero met us at the door of the Albergue.

“Lauro, Aldo and Elena left you some food in the fridge,” he said. “They made dinner last night, and they had some left. There are also two oranges they decided they couldn’t squeeze into their rucksacks. They asked me to say Adios and Buen Camino to you.”

“Thank you Jabea,” I said.

The fridge was a huge, rectangular one, which opened from the top. It was stainless steel, concrete-grey. I slid the lid open and peered inside. It was empty apart from the pan in the bottom and the two oranges standing beside it. I lifted the pan out and removed the lid, short pasta tubes mixed together with ham and tomato sauce, peppers and peas. I was starving and it looked wonderful, so wonderful that I pinched a fingerful from the pan.

“Oi,” said Alan. “That was left for me too. Heat it before you eat it. And get a fork.”

I love food. I like to eat lots. As a kid, I never had enough to eat. Not until I went to live with Auntie. That’s one thing she was good for. She gave me more food than I ever had at home. And we didn’t have to eat it on our laps. We ate it properly, at the table. I loved eating at the table. Auntie spread it with a pretty white cloth embroidered with colourful flowers and a butterfly or two. And I had butter in my own little dish. Butter was unheard of at home. We had bread, but, all that was spread on it was disgusting Echo margarine, sometimes dusted with sugar to help the taste go down, or perhaps dripping. Auntie was different. For breakfast she loaded her table with boiled eggs and bread and jam and a little brown teapot which wore a knitted jumper. I had never seen one before.

“It’s to keep the tea cosy Jacqueline,” she said. “I don’t want my tea getting cold.”

Her evening meals were magic. From her green enamelled pots she conjured up stews and pies and hot savoury puddings that steamed into the air leaving wonderful smells.

“What’s for dinner tonight Auntie?” I hungered to know.

“Wait and see.”

So as the stove burned and the kettle whistled, I sat and waited, my belly fired with anticipation. I ate like a hungry hog. Auntie, on the other hand, although she loaded the table, ate like a bird. And, as I ate, she twittered,

“Slow down, Jacqueline. Stop slopping. You’ll get even fatter than you are already.”

I didn’t listen. Instead I stuffed her voice down with creamy, dreamy mashed potatoes, steak and kidney puddings and fish on Fridays. I was making the most of it, confident in the knowledge that when my Mum came back I wouldn’t be able to eat like that. Then there wouldn’t be enough to go round. Then there would be others to consider.

“Would you like to share our pasta?” I said to Daven as he wandered by.

“No, Danke, I’ve had food” he said. “But Jackie…”

“Yeah.”

“I wanted to say, that, well, you shouldn’t eat like that when you’re walking in the hot sun…”

“I beg your pardon.”

My ire was icy. The temperature dropped.

“That salty food you eat. It’s not good for you in the hot sun.”

The temperature rose rapidly, and the stifling heat burned me up.

Salt. Of course. That was it. I felt so stupid. My fork missed my mouth as the penne dropped. It left a sorry trail of tomato sauce. The colour matched my face.

Thanks Jackie! I bought your book on Amazon and enjoyed reading it very much. You have inspired me!!

As you asked the question, you clearly know the answer. You are crazy.

Your logic that July and August is the only time windows is not sufficient reason to walk at that time. Practically you possibly can, others have. Did they enjoy their experience, or did they do it just to be able to tell their grandchildren of another folly of youth?

I suspect most suffer, nearly dehydrate, then become semi-comatose in the afternoon heat. There is little opportunity to socialise with others nor to wander around and see and enjoy each village you sleep in.

Some do Caminos to get into a state of flow and meditation, or to calmy reflect on life away whilst away from home. In July and August you will be in survival mode. The previous comments are tips on how to survive. Those comments may have come from people trying to be kind.

My comment is to look at the climate data, and also understand each year can be hotter or colder, and to consider another time. So far this year is hot.

If July and August is your only time, think of a few other travel experiences you might enjoy. Anything. Even perhaps a Camino starting on the border between Eastern Germany and the Czech Republic. Or Amsterdam. Walk as long as time permits. Smell the roses on the way. Or riding a bike in Denmark.

Then compare those with the vdlp in August. See how you feel.

Some figures: In December, January, February, March, April and May more people walk the VdlP than the Camino del Norte by July, August and September more than twice as many people walk the Camino del Norte as walk the VdlP.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A little searching indicated that a few years ago when 9,000 walked the vdlp, only 2,200 started in Seville. It would be interesting if anyone knows how many started in Seville by month, as I guess William's comments above about those finishing by month by route only tell part of the story. I am far from fully knowledgeable about this, but from Salamanca north and west is not quite like Seville.

It is hot enough right now in Merida and Caceres.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A suggestion that you may find helpful is to get a euroschirm hands free umbrella. It's expensive but on the meseta where the temperature is so high and there are few trees, I think it's worth it. I read that this year has been especially hot in southern Spain. I had trouble copying the link but if you google it you can find photos of the set up.

The umbrella, which I got on amazon, came with 2 velcroed attachments for left and right backpack chest straps. You attach the expandable umbrella on either side depending on the the position of the sun and run the waist strap through adjustable strap on the handle on your backpack waist belt. The umbrella, before expanding it, is 19 inches and comes with bungee type straps to attach to your backpack when not in use.

I'm checking it and crossing my fingers it doesn't get lost on the flight. If it does, I'll at least have the set up for another umbrella. The umbrella is reflective silver.

I've used it in 32° and it worked well. (Here in Texas, September temps will be up closer to Spain's) And not having to wear a hat makes it cooler too.

I will also use the umbrella for rain but got a very lightweight rain skirt and lightweight rain jacket with pit zips. My Osprey backpack has a built in rain cover.

A suggestion that you may find helpful is to get a euroschirm hands free umbrella. It's expensive but on the meseta where the temperature is so high and there are few trees, I think it's worth it. I read that this year has been especially hot in southern Spain. I had trouble copying the link but if you google it you can find photos of the set up.

You're quite right. On May 13th & 14th this year two temps record was set on Camino de Levante: 42,9C & 44,4C :D
Sorry I can't remember the towns where those temperatures were measured but I think you can get that if you search through Levante section. VdlP is very close to that regarding temeratures as I have read before.

Whether it's hot or not you have to drink enough liquid (preferably plain water) to hydrate your body when working out. Very simple - watch your pee and if it's getting yellow you have to hydrate more. If it's brown, you stop, drink, take a shower, drink, go to supermercado, drink, write your journal, drink, go for a dinner, drink etc.

Suerte!

You're quite right. On May 13th & 14th this year two temps record was set on Camino de Levante: 42,9C & 44,4C :D
Sorry I can't remember the towns where those temperatures were measured

Xàtiva and Carcaixent respectively but both of them were measured on May 14th.

It would be interesting if anyone knows how many started in Seville by month

I can't provide those data but I can provide data about how many arrived to Santiago de Compostela from Sevilla by month (data from 2014 provided by http://peregrinossantiago.es):

January: 6 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=1)
February: 41 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=2)
March: 28 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=3)
April: 182 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=4)
May: 515 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=5)
June: 489 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=6)
July: 168 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=7)
August: 179 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=8)
September: 214 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=9)
October: 227 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=10)
November: 68 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=11)
December: 15 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=12)

I am far from fully knowledgeable about this, but from Salamanca north and west is not quite like Seville.

Average high temperatures are lower (e.g.: in Salamanca something like 3ºC lower than in Cáceres) but record temperatures over 40ºC can be found not just in places like Sevilla and Cáceres but also in Ourense (both in July and August), in Zamora (just in July although the record for August is over 39ºC...). In Salamanca the record temperatures are in the highs 39ºC...

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Xátiva and Carcaixent respectively but both of them were measured on May 14th.

I can't provide that data but I can provide data about how many arrived to Santiago de Compostela from Sevilla by month (data from 2014 provided by http://peregrinossantiago.es):

January: 6 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=1)
February: 41 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=2)
March: 28 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=3)
April: 182 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=4)
May: 515 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=5)
June: 489 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=6)
July: 168 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=7)
August: 179 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=8)
September: 214 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=9)
October: 227 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=10)
November: 68 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=11)
December: 15 (http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/?anio=2014&mes=12)

Average high temperatures are lower (e.g.: in Salamanca something like 3ºC lower than in Cáceres) but record temperatures over 40ºC can be found not just in places like Sevilla and Cáceres but also in Ourense (both in July and August), in Zamora (just in July although the record for August is over 39ºC...). In Salamanca the record temperatures are in the highs 39ºC...

:D
You know why Castilian...

The weather is being a bit bonkers anyway. If you are going to do it, be prepared to be out the door at first light with lots of water. If the weather is super hot I would suggest not doing more than about 20+ km per day especially if there is highway walking involved. Unless there is unexpectedly cool weather when I say push out the mileage while you can! That means you should finish about lunch time and have the afternoon as recovery time to rehydrate. And that WILL take all afternoon. And build in capacity for unexpected rest days. I'm spending an extra day in Galisteo so that I can walk out with friends tomorrow but I felt the day's rest will let my body recuperate a little.

Saint Mike II, I was just reading a book by Tony Kevin titled Walking theCamino, a Modern Pilgrimage to Santiago about his pilgrimage on the Mozarabe. He didn't see many others on his hike but since he knew Spanish he was able to spend time talking to Spaniards. He describes some memorable experiences.
Hola - ricit - I have this book (bought back in 2007) he was the first author that got me interested in the Camino. You see from his book that he walked in the May/June/July period and had problems running out of water on a few days.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In Cea (Galicia) now. 39 deg to 40 predicted for tomorrow. Don't know what it was today leaving Orense but it was very hot! And very early!
Weather COMPLETELY bonkers I'd say! :)

I said it on other thread and I'll say it once again. Temperatures over 40ºC aren't unknown in Ourense (neither in June nor in July nor in August nor in September). That's a warm area of Galicia and on some summer days it can be (really) hot. Temperatures above 35ºC are usually found on some (just some) summer days. Temperatures above 40ºC aren't so usual but aren't either the sort of temperatures you find in one place (in this case Ourense) just once in a life time.

Hi Castilian, sorry I only just read your reply :oops:
My comment about the weather being 'bonkers' was a bit light-hearted, I was on the camino at the time and trying to cope ... From Sevilla onwards, the locals were saying it was very hot much too early, i.e. one month ahead. Then from around Salamanca, it was unseasonly cold and we had much rain. Then again the heatwave....
I really struggled with the weather but of course, living year round in the UK there was no way I could prepare for it.
My reason for posting this time was this I just read : http://www.hoy.es/extremadura/201508/10/estado-grave-peregrino-golpe-20150810214806.html
I don't know if there are any peregrinos on the VdlP at the moment and of course it depends where they come from...
From my (very) limited experience, please take care and take lots of water. In 38 deg temperature, we were going through 3 L each and needing more....
After seeing the weather forecast, I bought -in Sevilla- re-hydrating powder to add to water in case we needed it in Extremadura (and we did!). It really amused the lady in the farmacia who thought I wanted it just to walk around the town.When I explained she said 'take 2 boxes' :D

So this is a 'just in case it is useful to someone post'.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So this is a 'just in case it is useful to someone post'.

I'm sure it'll be useful for some people.

I'd like to say the pilgrim quoted on the news linked on the post above by domigee was on the route at 16:00 what definitely isn't a good idea on hot days (even locals who are used to high temperatures are adviced by the authorities to avoid as much as possible to be out on the streets making outdoors actitivies). If you have to walk on a hot day, start early to end early enough as to avoid the highest temperatures.

My comment about Ourense in my previous post was made because some people thinks that being Ourense in the North it can't be so hot when reality is other (as I described on my previous post).

Hi Mark

H0w did your VDLP go last year in July/August 2015? I am heading there in late August 2016.

Hi Middo...

I ended up not walking the VDLP during the summer. I acquiesced to the smarter people than I here, and ended up walking the Norte/Primitivo which was fantastic... I would still love to walk the VDLP one day, but it likely won't be in the summer.

I hope your walk in late August/Sept goes well! Please let us know how it goes...

HI ,

I am walking the VDLP , starting Mid May . has anyone else started around this time and if so , how did they find the weather conditions ? I have walked 4 other Caminos .

If you are going to walk in July / August, read up on heat exhaustion, recognising the signs, preventative measures, keeping safe etc and don't ignore the information. Heat exhaustion can kill you.

HI , I am walking the VDLP , starting Mid May . has anyone else started around this time and if so , how did they find the weather conditions ? I have walked 4 other Caminos .
Hola - if its an average/normal Spanish Spring then it will be warm/very warm to hot from Sevilla to (say) Carceres or Galisteo. From there on it won't be much different to walking the Frances in June. Of course rain is less likely until your reach Galicia. So carry at least 1.5 litres of water (two if possible) and top up regularly. I would also suggest planning rest days in (say) Merida (an old Roman town) and of course Salamanca and maybe Ourence (if time permits). There was a post here some time ago from a pilgrim walking in June/July - they started early even before 6.00 (had head torches) and when it was too hot took a two hour rest if they needed to reach a particular town that day. One other thing - brush up on your Spanish and do not expect to see the crowds of the Frances. Cheers

€46,-
Thanks for your advice . I appreciate your tips on places to have rest stops . It all helps . Cheers

Thanks amigos.

Hi,

general advice: get up at 05:00 to avoid mid-day heat. First time around, I didn't. Got sick around Cáceres. Luckily I learned from my mistakes so second time around (the following year) I was fine. And if I were you I would choose my albergues carefully: avoid places without air conditioning if there's a heat wave. One doesn't sleep well in 35+ degrees C at night and it's not fun to walk 30 kms the next day...

The tricky section to navigate is the north of Extremadura. The few days around the Arco de Caparra. Another stage to watch is that leading up to to the Embalse and then Canaveral. The walk to the start of the Embalse is very pleasant but can be quite tiring - there is a rest stop about halfway which saved my sanity as we stopped for something to eat and a quick kip there. On a hot summer's day you do not want to walk on highway (and the private albergue/fisherman's lodge is at the other end of the Embalse) so the proper hiking route is preferable. But it is very up and down and probably a bit longer. If the lodge hadn't been open I would have been a very unhappy camper because walking to Canaveral from the Embalse is a decent walk in itself. The distance itself is not hard - it's the hot weather. And there are NO shops along the Embalse until the end. I was fantasizing about ice cream and cans of Aquarius...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The distance itself is not hard - it's the hot weather. And there are NO shops along the Embalse until the end. I was fantasizing about ice cream and cans of Aquarius...

We stayed at the 'fishing lodge' which I had booked by phone as the albergue was closed. One pilgrim arrived well after us, having got lost somehow and very dehydrated. We'd all run out of water on the way.
I worried about him but he managed to be up before any of us and left at 4 am the following morning.
The heat was definitively a problem for me. (us).
But then I 'trained' in the UK where the temperature that Spring didn't go much over 13/14 deg...

I am a little amazed at reading this whole post over several years about people being concerned about the heat and not enough water. Not one mention of replenishing your electrolytes on a regular basis. I live in Texas where the summer temperatures are regularly in the +35 C all of the summer and did my marathon training during these times. It is extremely important to keep your balance of electrolytes ( sodium, potassium, Calcium etc) especially when your sweating and drinking lots of water. These substances dissolved in water are what facilitates electrical conduction charge that runs your body. You really should supplement your water by drinking gatorade (powder mix) or some other electrolyte addition to your water. I usually drink one bottle of gatorade for every 2 bottles of water. Most complaints about extended time in the heat is not always about lack of water but the electric system of the body shutting down.

I would normally carry about 2 litres of water and on known long/very hot days, carry three. And I am used to hot weather having lived in the Aussie desert as well as the tropics for almost 20 years. But I would also chuck the odd can of Aquarius in the supplies because it is an isotonic sports drink. Even a can of normal Coke/ juice or flavoured milk poppers can be useful as the sugar is metabolised to water and the glucose doesn't go astray at all in the hot temperatures. And on hot days I would order an Aquarius first on a hot day and then have my cafe con hielo.

€46,-
I am a little amazed at reading this whole post over several years about people being concerned about the heat and not enough water. Not one mention of replenishing your electrolytes on a regular basis. I live in Texas where the summer temperatures are regularly in the +35 C all of the summer and did my marathon training during these times. It is extremely important to keep your balance of electrolytes ( sodium, potassium, Calcium etc) especially when your sweating and drinking lots of water. These substances dissolved in water are what facilitates electrical conduction charge that runs your body. You really should supplement your water by drinking gatorade (powder mix) or some other electrolyte addition to your water. I usually drink one bottle of gatorade for every 2 bottles of water. Most complaints about extended time in the heat is not always about lack of water but the electric system of the body shutting down.

We did, I bought the stuff in Sevilla and it worked wonders. Except that after a few hours, the water (with the powder added) is extremely hot and
difficult to drink - let alone keep down....

I forgot to mention electrolytes it also prevents cramping. Bananas, pickles, pickle juice are other excellent additions of potassium.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back