• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I in Spain or Heaven?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, When we love this country and we cannot go in, a thing we can do it's bring the country to us. For myself the meal brings me to Spain its calamares fritos
🤤

Attachments

• 100669146_674160790097269_1665324073820880896_n.jpg
    100669146_674160790097269_1665324073820880896_n.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 37
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, When we love this country and we cannot go in, a thing we can do it's bring the country to us. For myself the meal brings me to Spain its calamares fritos
🤤

We ae never far from mentions of booze! Methinks Ivar will have to create a new sub-forum entitled " The Sots of Santiago" !! :)

Keep on truckin!

The Malingerer.

:)

Neither actually, but this evening my Pimientos de Padron plants produced a small plate of peppers that we enjoyed with a glass of Yzaguirre vermut. Not Spain, but I can still dream..... 🥰, and we are so looking forward to the day we are able to return safely.

View attachment 78024
Did you get them some are hot and others are not ?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Neither actually, but this evening my Pimientos de Padron plants produced a small plate of peppers that we enjoyed with a glass of Yzaguirre vermut. Not Spain, but I can still dream..... 🥰, and we are so looking forward to the day we are able to return safely.

View attachment 78024
Wow, that looks good. I kept asking for it while I was walking Norte last year. I didn't get any until I went to Padron at my lodging called Casa de Marcelo. They told me it was too early for the season. I shared it in a family-style dinner with 7 other Spaniards. When I told them how I was looking for it, they gave it ALL to me.

Has anybody come across a rogue padron in their food?
We sampled some while on the Portuguese a few years ago - stuffed with goat's cheese - mmmm.
All went well until my friend literally spit half a pepper across the table. Apparently you get the odd one or two that are comparable in heat to a jalapeno. They look the same but are much higher up the Scoville scale than normal.
Haven't been tempted to try one since!

🌶🌶🌶

I know how your friend felt. I found similar looking peppers at the Costco and suffered the same fate😖.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know I would enjoy the pimientos padron because I ate them almost every day on my first camino. We could not find them very frequently the second time around because we were walking too early in the year. I am interested, though, in the vermouth. I think of it as something to give a martini a bit of a different flavor, but I did not realize people drank it straight. Is that popular in Europe?

I know I would enjoy the pimientos padron because I ate them almost every day on my first camino. We could not find them very frequently the second time around because we were walking too early in the year. I am interested, though, in the vermouth. I think of it as something to give a martini a bit of a different flavor, but I did not realize people drank it straight. Is that popular in Europe?

The vermouth was very popular in Spain 40 years ago. There were bars that also served tap vermouth. The custom was going to a bar on weekends before lunch for a vermouth with a tapa (aperitivo). Today is much more popular beer or even wine.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Vermouth is popular and can be found on tap in Spain in bars. It is not the same Vermouth that is used in a martini. It is a fortified, aromatized wine usually served with a slice of orange. There are different recipes depending upon the company, but always includes Artemesia absinthe, this is the herb that gives it the bitter quality. We have taken several city food tours in Spain with Devour Tours, and during this pandemic they offered virtual tours. For Fathers' Day, I gave my husband a Zoom tour that taught us how to make homemade vermut. We are gathering the ingredients and will let you know how it turns out! We have found the Yzaguirre here in the US, but at 5 times price as in Spain, it is a special occasion drink.

Where ever you are in the world,you are doing very well,with one of the best Spanish vermouth,and the pimientos del padron,did you buy the seeds in Spain,let me know.Enjoy your apertivo.

€83,-
I have found them at La Casa del la Miel on Calle Atocha in Madrid as well as hardware stores on my caminos. The only one I remember is on Rua Lugo just after entering Arzua and before the camino goes off to the left Hostal Restaurante Teodora.

Good!!
One hot out of seven?. Then lack of rain is not a problem where you live.
It is getting a bit dry now, but it rained everyday in June except one. I have them in pots so I could move them, but there are sixteen of them and the rain here lately seems to happen fast and unexpectedly!!

Since it is an aperitivo I would think the number for Vermut would be lower. Slow sipping it over a tapa, and even "seco" is sweet to me so I can't drink much. The cerveza I understand the number as my husband and I have contributed more to that amount than Vermut while walking. 😊

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You will read about drinking vermouth in articles and books--both fiction and non fiction--from the Spanish Civil War.

In Madrid is very typical to meet your friends for apertivo,and many of the old bares they will have the vermouth de grifo (tap).

We would be very interested, can you post some links?
I would have to do a search for links, and will when I get some time. You could look at Hemingway's books and stories set in Spain, such as The Sun Also Rises and For Whom the Bell Tolls. And also short stories and reports by Hemingway's third wife and rival journalist Martha Gellhorn.

Last edited:
Has anybody come across a rogue padron in their food?
We sampled some while on the Portuguese a few years ago - stuffed with goat's cheese - mmmm.
All went well until my friend literally spit half a pepper across the table. Apparently you get the odd one or two that are comparable in heat to a jalapeno. They look the same but are much higher up the Scoville scale than normal.
Haven't been tempted to try one since!

🌶🌶🌶

Yes, I have had one or two over the years that made me sweat! And I am a chilli addict. There is much debate if this is even a thing or why it would happen though....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lucky me...I do not like hot and spicy and of all the Padron peppers I have eaten in Spain, I thankfully was not surprised by a hot one!

Yes, I have had one or two over the years that made me sweat! And I am a chilli addict. There is much debate if this is even a thing or why it would happen though....
You only know that it is a "rogue" padron if it is a spicy one! Otherwise it is just a pepper! ;)

I would have to do a search for links, and will when I get some time. You could look at Hemingway's books and stories set in Spain, such as The Sun Also Rises and For Whom the Bell Tolls. And also short stories and reports my Hemingway's third wife and rival journalist Martha Gellhorn.
Hemingway and Michner's "Iberia" led me to study Spanish as a teenager and live in Madrid from Aug. 1975 to Feb. 1976. It was an amazing time. After I came home "life happened", and I did not get to return to Madrid until 2015 and have been back every year since. I still read and re-read those books. 🥰

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lucky me...I do not like hot and spicy and of all the Padron peppers I have eaten in Spain, I thankfully was not surprised by a hot one!
I am not a fan of spicy, but any hot padron I have had could be calmed by a sip of a cana! (And all the mild ones makes the gamble worthwhile!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
T
That got me wondering and Wikipedia (your views may agree . . . or not!) says

Their peculiarity lies on the fact that, while their taste is usually mild, a minority (10-25%) are particularly hot. Whether a given pepper ends up being hot or mild depends on the amount of water and sunlight it receives during its growth, in addition to temperature. It's said that solely watering the soil of the plant is likely to produce milder pimentos, whilst watering the whole plant, leaves and stalks included, produces peppers of the spicier variety.

Padrón peppers are small, with an elongated, conic shape. The taste is mild, but some exemplars can be quite hot, which property has given rise to the popular Galician aphorism Os pementos de Padrón, uns pican e outros non ("Padrón peppers, some are hot, some are not").[6] Typically, there is no way of determining whether a given pepper will be hot or mild, short of actually eating it, though some maintain that smelling each cooked Padrón for spice prior to eating is a good indicator.

T

Their peculiarity lies on the fact that, while their taste is usually mild, a minority (10-25%) are particularly hot. Whether a given pepper ends up being hot or mild depends on the amount of water and sunlight it receives during its growth, in addition to temperature. It's said that solely watering the soil of the plant is likely to produce milder pimentos, whilst watering the whole plant, leaves and stalks included, produces peppers of the spicier variety.

Padrón peppers are small, with an elongated, conic shape. The taste is mild, but some exemplars can be quite hot, which property has given rise to the popular Galician aphorism Os pementos de Padrón, uns pican e outros non ("Padrón peppers, some are hot, some are not").[6] Typically, there is no way of determining whether a given pepper will be hot or mild, short of actually eating it, though some maintain that smelling each cooked Padrón for spice prior to eating is a good indicator.

So it is a thing! That makes sense

T

I have not seen information about differing watering schemes, but in June it poured down rain every day. We had several hot peppers. July has been hot with no rain, just my watering can on the soil. Not so many hot peppers lately, but we are being inundated with them. We can’t keep up with picking them and they hide so well among the leaves that when I do find them they are huge! (Those are the peppers I let stay on until fall so I can save the seeds). 🌶 ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back