• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I missing anything?

MCFearnley

Time of past OR future Camino
Ponferrada to Santiago (September 2016)
Hi all,

Here is my packing list for my Camino in a couple of weeks (mid-September 2016) - distance 200km to SdC on the Frances. Am I missing anything? Should I leave anything at home? I plan on sleeping in my next-day clothes instead of packing PJs. I have listed food as I need to know that in the event I cannot find sustaining gluten free food locally, I will have some with me.

On me
- Clothes (pants, shirt, socks (polypro liner and wool), underwear/bra)
- Hat
- Sunglasses
- Hiking shoes
- Hiking poles w/ removeable rubber tips
- Buff
- Whistle on lanyard
- Watch/activity tracker

In backpack
- Change of clothes (pants, shirt, socks (polypro liner and wool), underwear/bra)
- 2l Platypus hydration system
- Rain jacket + pack cover + gaiters
- Fleece vest
- Crocs
- Toiletries (toothbrush/paste, multipurpose liquid soap, deodorant, hairbrush, sunscreen)
- Prescription medication + ibuprophen, Benadryl, Robax, Rub-A525, Imodium)
- FUD
- Cat hole trowel + toilet paper + small ziploc bags for toting out used TP
- First aid kit + moleskin patches
- Vaseline + anti-friction powder
- Fleece sleeping bag liner + inflatable pillow
- Microfiber towel
- Journal + pen, small bible, Spanish phrase book
- 4 Freeze-dried backpacker gluten free meals, 12 just-add-water gluten free oatmeal packets, 24 gluten free energy bars
- Penknife
- Headlamp + extra batteries
- Cord + clothes pegs (or would I be better with safety pins? They'd be smaller and lighter)
- S-hooks for hanging stuff
- Phone adapter + plug adapter

In my Packsafe tummy tote
- Smartphone (acts also as camera and guide) + memory cards
- Reading glasses
- Wallet with money, Visa, bank card, health insurance cards, driver's license (kept in RFID pocket)
- Passport, travel papers, airline ticket (in ziploc bag) (kept inside zippered pocket)
- Credencial
- Lip balm

For airline travelling
- Fold-onto-itself tote bag as my carry-on bag (very light)
- Backpack overbag to protect backpack and poles in transit (600g)
(I know, I know, I will have to carry those with me in my backpack during my pilgrimage)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The meals are they so you have something if no gluten free food is available? They aren't heavy but they take up space.
I took 2 wooden clothes hangers but my s hooks worked just as good. What I really liked using was I would adjust my walking sticks to the windows by my bunk & hang my clothes next to my stuff. You can't always find that but I would say 75% I could. Used my bit of light close line 2x

Hi all,

Here is my packing list for my Camino in a couple of weeks (mid-September 2016) - distance 200km to SdC on the Frances. Am I missing anything? Should I leave anything at home? I plan on sleeping in my next-day clothes instead of packing PJs. I have listed food as I need to know that in the event I cannot find sustaining gluten free food locally, I will have some with me.

On me
- Clothes (pants, shirt, socks (polypro liner and wool), underwear/bra)
- Hat
- Sunglasses
- Hiking shoes
- Hiking poles w/ removeable rubber tips
- Buff
- Whistle on lanyard
- Watch/activity tracker

In backpack
- Change of clothes (pants, shirt, socks (polypro liner and wool), underwear/bra)
- Rain jacket + pack cover + gaiters
- Fleece vest
- Crocs
- Toiletries (toothbrush/paste, multipurpose liquid soap, deodorant, hairbrush, sunscreen)
- Prescription medication + ibuprophen, Benadryl, Robax, Rub-A525, Imodium)
- FUD
- Fleece sleeping bag liner + inflatable pillow
- Microfiber towel
- Journal + pen, small bible, Spanish phrase book
- 4 Freeze-dried backpacker gluten free meals, 12 just-add-water gluten free oatmeal packets, 24 gluten free energy bars
- Penknife
- Cord + clothes pegs (or would I be better with safety pins? They'd be smaller and lighter)
- S-hooks for hanging stuff
- Phone adapter + plug adapter

In my Packsafe tummy tote
- Smartphone (acts also as camera and guide) + memory cards
- Reading glasses
- Wallet with money, Visa, bank card, health insurance cards, driver's license (kept in RFID pocket)
- Passport, travel papers, airline ticket (in ziploc bag) (kept inside zippered pocket)
- Credencial
- Lip balm

For airline travelling
- Fold-onto-itself tote bag as my carry-on bag (very light)
- Backpack overbag to protect backpack and poles in transit (600g)
(I know, I know, I will have to carry those with me in my backpack during my pilgrimage)

I wouldn't take trowel, nor blow up pillow. Also I wouldn't check my bag on way over; just the poles.

Safety pins is the way to go. Outstanding list overall. I love careful planning and you've done it well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@cher99840 My backpack will not pass as carry-on luggage, so it needs to be checked, sigh. The poles will be firmly attached to the bag. The reason I am taking a blow up pillow is that I sleep very badly on single pillows. I need good height for my head (it's quite light, the pillow, not my head). I am a side sleeper and the height helps me from having my neck kink and my hands going numb during the night. What would you suggest instead of the trowel in the event I need to poop en-route when there are no toilets available? I will not leave my leavings above ground ;-)

@MTtoCamino Yes, the food is in the event that I am stuck without access to gluten free meals. I am only taking 4 dinners. At first I had thought of taking 50% of dinners, then thought better of it. The oatmeal is to start the day with something safe every day. I have enough room in my pack for them.

Oooops! I forgot to add to my list EARPLUGS!!! and an eye shade.

No cord, and yes to safety pins rather than laundry pins.
No to the trowel: there are many cafes to stop and visit the little girls' room so you will not have to use the trowel.
No to the S hooks.
No to the blow up pillow: but add a pillow cover.
No to the 600 gram bag to protect your bag. Use the wrapping serives if you must.
No to the driver's license: you won't use it, so might as well not risk losing it.

Huzzah! I have just learned about the SafeBag service that is now available at the Montreal-Trudeau airport. It is also available at the Paris-CDG airport. I will not need to use the overbag for transit!! Eliminated 600g from my pack! Yay!
Thanks @Anemone del Camino for setting me on the track to look into wrapping services.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@cher99840 My backpack will not pass as carry-on luggage, so it needs to be checked, sigh. The poles will be firmly attached to the bag. The reason I am taking a blow up pillow is that I sleep very badly on single pillows. I need good height for my head (it's quite light, the pillow, not my head). I am a side sleeper and the height helps me from having my neck kink and my hands going numb during the night. What would you suggest instead of the trowel in the event I need to poop en-route when there are no toilets available? I will not leave my leavings above ground ;-)

@MTtoCamino Yes, the food is in the event that I am stuck without access to gluten free meals. I am only taking 4 dinners. At first I had thought of taking 50% of dinners, then thought better of it. The oatmeal is to start the day with something safe every day. I have enough room in my pack for them.

Oooops! I forgot to add to my list EARPLUGS!!! and an eye shade.
I assume you can eat eggs as well. For some crazy reason I had a heck of a time finding a simple boiled egg, so I started buying them & boiling using the kitchens. Great energy early morning. Seemed hard to find small amounts but if you share the rewards are great. Earplugs even if loose them you will be tired enough to get past it. I would say surround yourself with women but there is no defense by sex. As both can make a room shake.

@MTtoCamino I am used to packing earplugs as my hubby sounds like a John Deere tractor when he sleeps. I forgot to put them on my list :rolleyes: I can eat eggs, cheese, nuts, fruits, veg, fish, meat and the like and I will concentrate on those for my meals. I will hit every grocery store from Ponferrada to Santiago instead of relying on restaurants and cafés.

Montreal airport allows you to bring collapsable poles on board. I asked them last May went going through the security check point. So you may not even have to have your bag wrapped with your poles. In case they change their minds, just pop your head in and ask for confirmation before you check your bag.

Alas, if you fly out of Santiago, there is NO way they will let you take your poles on board. I can't recall if they wrap.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@MTtoCamino I am used to packing earplugs as my hubby sounds like a John Deere tractor when he sleeps. I forgot to put them on my list :rolleyes: I can eat eggs, cheese, nuts, fruits, veg, fish, meat and the like and I will concentrate on those for my meals. I will hit every grocery store from Ponferrada to Santiago instead of relying on restaurants and cafés.
Your food budget will be very low. Something I was surprised by was that they have shops that just sell fruit the pairs are to dream about. The meat shops are worth a look as it is like nothing I have ever seen. The blood sausage is not something to eat a lot of, but the Yamon is fantastic. The general markets or general stores have just about everything you need you just have to look carefully. When you get to the Meseta or when looking at your guide the night before look at the size of villages many will not have a market easy to identify. Some are in individual homes so you have to ask, but they are amazing finds plus it gives you a window on how some get along. I wish you the best as Spain is a place I could easily live.
Buen Camino

Sounds like a very comprehensive list. The only thing that I am going to add to my list from now on is a series of small dry bags that will allow me to fold up and compartmentalise all the various things like tomorrow's clothes, clothes that haven't fully dried and clothes that need to be washed to cut down a lot of the packing, repacking and searching in the bagpack. A few little karabiners(which might be the same as your s-hooks) to attach these at various times to the outside of the backpack might be useful too,

Sounds like a very comprehensive list. The only thing that I am going to add to my list from now on is a series of small dry bags that will allow me to fold up and compartmentalise all the various things like tomorrow's clothes, clothes that haven't fully dried and clothes that need to be washed to cut down a lot of the packing, repacking and searching in the bagpack. A few little karabiners(which might be the same as your s-hooks) to attach these at various times to the outside of the backpack might be useful too,
Yes to the karabiners they work great to dry socks/clothes on your pack without puting holes in the clothes just snap shut. For some reason people don't like seeing skivvies hanging . Must be they don't hang in the same social groups...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Overall a good list. I agree about there not being any need for a trowel, though a small roll of toilet paper and some a few lightweight waste bags (I took doggy bags :) ) can come in very handy. But overall, unless you have a particularly touchy system, you will need to use these far less often than you think! Clean bathrooms are aplenty in Spain, so there really isn't any need...

By far the best bit of packing advice I got from this forum before leaving on my partial camino was to take a large muslin square instead of a microfibre towel! I never liked those synthetic fibres and personally never found them to dry particularly quickly, plus they're bulky when packed. Muslin (think old fashioned nappy/diaper fabric) is superfine cotton and hence packs down really small, is highly absorbent, easy to wash and dries really, really quickly. You can get some extra large ones (mine was 1 meter/40inch square).

I personally did find having a washing line useful (I actually got that Sea-to-Summit one that comes in its own pouch and weighs very little), as it provided a good place to hang my stuff across my bunk at night if there was any doubt that stuff would dry otherwise (think damp nights, which you will get in some places, and overloaded indoor clothes airers), and it acted as a bit of a privacy screen, which I did appreciate having on one or two occasions (such as a couple of albergues with bunks next to each other or just half a meter apart!). Admittedly, it really needs a bottom bunk or careful top bunk selection. Also useful if you do end up staying in a hotel, casa rural, pension etc where they don't really cater for people washing their own stuff.

I also used a few dry/compression sacks to compartmentalise clothes into nightwear, non-walking clothes, rain gear, dirty clothes. It made it a hell of lot easier to organise my pack and find stuff with minimum disruption to others. There are some very lightweight ones available...

I also took an inflatable pillow, which was one of the first things I posted back.... wouldn't bother next time.

Don't take any spares, you won't need spare batteries for your headlamp unless you plan to read for an hour every night...

Not sure whether you really need a whistle...

You may need to check in the bag with the pen knife... either one way or the other.... it might go through security once but not a second time...

On the other hand, YES to earplugs (get the wax ones, and take just 3 in little container) and a simple little sleep mask - worth their weight in ethically sourced diamonds!!!!

Remembered one other thing: I used one of those cheap checkered Chinese bags to protect my backpack and hiking poles on the journey out - just binned it when I got there. These are available in Santiago, too, but I actually used the liner bag I'd used on the inside to protect the backpack on the outside on the way back (just bought some sello tape to secure it), and bought a cardboard tube for a few Euros in a Stationery shop for the hiking poles on their journey back. That worked for me. If you can take poles on board on the outward journey so much the better, but I wouldn't assume you can for the journey back....

Last edited:
Add 2 Quart size Zip Lock Freezer bags, might want 1 or 2 Gallon size Zip Lock Freezer bags too. They come in handy, keep things dry, etc.
- Buff
- Whistle on lanyard

- Penknife

Wife, daughter and I all took BUFFs. None of us used them. Some will say they are essential. I say they are useless weight.

WHISTLE can stay at home. Not needed. If you feel unsafe anywhere just find someone else to walk with/near. There are plenty of people on the trail the last 200km, and that number will quadruple the last 100km.

No need for MOLESKINS, no need for VASELINE and Anti-Friction powder. Studies are showing that cheap PAPER Surgical Tape (about $2 at CVS for 2 rolls) taped on your foot/toes in pressure spots works better than all the other options. It is available in NARROW (1") and WIDE (2") rolls, take a couple rolls of the NARROW, its easier to use. BTW, I dislike the COMPEED that people rave about too.

Don't bother with the HEADLAMP you will just make everyone else mad. Pack your bag before you got to bed for the night, wake up, grab your bag, boots, etc and walk to the bathroom. Get dressed and leave. You can do that with minimal fuss and do it in near total darkness.

No TROWEL, etc. for pooping along the trail is needed. Just don't do it. There are ample cafes along the route. Beside your body will become accustomed the new schedule and it should not be an issue. Especially in the last 100km you will see plenty of toilet paper along the trail. It is disgusting and foul.

No PEN KNIFE needed. TSA may frown on it. If you really want a knife while you are there you can find a China Bazaar or hardware store and buy a cheap one. Its not really needed.

I'm a big fan of 2 Liter hydration BLADDER systems for short routes but on this route I would omit it and simply buy a 1.5 liter bottle of water at a local store. They sell for about 1 Euro. Refill & re-use it for 3 days then buy a new one. Its LIGHTER and much easier to keep clean/germ free than a bladder which should be washed/sanitized every 3-4 days.

Last edited:
I found a headlamp useful but always used it cupped in my hand so I wouldn't disturb others.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I found a headlamp useful but always used it cupped in my hand so I wouldn't disturb others.
Then why not simply use a tiny LED flashlight? The type that has 1 bulb and attaches to a keychain. They can be found for about $1 and, if you buy one with a directional beam you won't disturb others. They also weigh less and take up less space than a headlamp.

That said, I have a couple different headlamps for hiking/backpacking. But took none on the Camino. Never had a use for it.

Thank you. I gripe quite a bit about using headlamps inside the albergues. I usually used one of small keychain red LED lights but I did have to use a headlamp (like you with cupped hands) to help someone with a messy midnight cleanup. Red lights are nice because if you do shine the light in someone's eyes it doesn't affect their vision as much.

Then why not simply use a tiny LED flashlight? The type that has 1 bulb and attaches to a keychain. They can be found for about $1 and, if you buy one with a directional beam you won't disturb others. They also weigh less and take up less space than a headlamp.

That said, I have a couple different headlamps for hiking/backpacking. But took none on the Camino. Never had a use for it.

A number of reasons.

Even for a dollar, why buy a less superior replacement for something I have already?

I camped a few nights on the Camino.

I also walked in the dark a couple of mornings.

I am all into carrying less weight but I am not obsessive about it.

A number of reasons.

Even for a dollar, why buy a less superior replacement for something I have already?

I camped a few nights on the Camino.

I also walked in the dark a couple of mornings.

I am all into carrying less weight but I am not obsessive about it.
I agree we know when not to use a light in the alburgues. Having a decent light gives you options like a night I practically ran out of the alburgue because everyone was ill & walked on til daylight. I actually had both as Melensdad described, what I wished I had was my law enforcement light as it reaches out for 200m to search for markers. But I got along just fine.

I like the idea of a red light and purchased an itty bitty red LED light for within the albergue at night. It adds nothing to the weight of my pack and I will not blind anyone with it.

I didn't think that I would use a headlamp, but with the recent heat I found it necessary for those mornings that I started walking before dawn, which is at about 7:30 in Spain. So I'm glad that I threw one in my pack at the last minute. I also have a small red light.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My thoughts in italics, for what they are worth:

On me
- Clothes socks (polypro liner and wool). This system was designed for backpackers carrying 50+ pound packs. Not necessary. I started out using it, but is was too hot on the Camino and quickly went to just a single sock (like a liner). The decrease in heat was critical in blister prevention.

In backpack
- 2l Platypus hydration system--Just get a plastic bottle of water. If you want the hydration tube (I do), get the Bluewater adapter.
- Rain jacket + pack cover + gaiters--No rain pants, but gaiters? Very old school (mid 80's backpackers). Light rain pants might be better and not much heavier (look at Monte Bell Torrent Shell). Also, lose the pack cover. Get a garbage compactor bag and use it as a pack liner. Saves a couple of ounces and does a better job.
- Fleece vest--go with down. Much lighter for the warmth. And you are not camping. If it gets wet, you'll be able to dry out in an alburgue.
- Cat hole trowel + toilet paper + small ziploc bags for toting out used TP--Leave the trowel. Take hand sanitzer (many bathrooms we found did not have soap).
-
- Fleece sleeping bag liner + inflatable pillow--lose the pillow. Alburgues have them.
-
- Journal + pen, small bible, Spanish phrase book--lose the phrase book. Too heavy. You'll get by without it.
- 4 Freeze-dried backpacker gluten free meals, 12 just-add-water gluten free oatmeal packets, 24 gluten free energy bars--this is really heavy. I think this is packing your fears.
- Cord + clothes pegs (or would I be better with safety pins? They'd be smaller and lighter)--safety pins. Take extras. You'll lose some.
- S-hooks for hanging stuff--not necessary. Cut a bit of the cord if you need. Little pieces of metal are too heavy.

I would add:

A couple of 2 gallon Ziploc bags (for keeping clothes and electronics dry while showering).

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

I also have a small red light.

Sorry for quoting your post TreciLe, it's nothing personal! :D

I just don't understand those red lights!!!
Shared an albergue room with peeps who got up at 4 am and proceeded to pack their bags :rolleyes: all the time using a red light. They probably thought it was OK, it was NOT. Withing 5 minutes we were all awake, that red glow is HORRIBLE. And being worn on the head, it means every move you make...it goes into someone's eyes....

Sorry for quoting your post TreciLe, it's nothing personal! :D

I just don't understand those red lights!!!
Shared an albergue room with peeps who got up at 4 am and proceeded to pack their bags :rolleyes: all the time using a red light. They probably thought it was OK, it was NOT. Withing 5 minutes we were all awake, that red glow is HORRIBLE. And being worn on the head, it means every move you make...it goes into someone's eyes....
I've only used the red light to navigate to the bathroom in the dark. Mine isn't a head lamp, but a small light that can attach to a keychain.
And there's usually no need to pack your bags in your room. You can take your things out to a common room and rustle away all you'd like.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've only used the red light to navigate to the bathroom in the dark. Mine isn't a head lamp, but a small light that can attach to a keychain.
And there's usually no need to pack your bags in your room. You can take your things out to a common room and rustle away all you'd like.
AGREED!

Best bet is to pack 95% of your stuff the night before.

Get out of bed, take your sleep sack in one hand, your backpack in the other and tip-toe quietly out of the sleeping room. Pack the nighttime goods into your pack in the foyer, lobby or bathroom area where nobody else is disturbed. I saw many people do this and they become my role models.

As I traveled with a CPAP machine that needed to be plugged in I was unable to do what I just described but made the choice to stay in bed at albergues until most/all of the other pilgrims were awake before I'd start packing up my CPAP, its associated hose, mask, etc. No way I could do that quietly in the dark. Its also one of several reasons why I chose to sleep in private rooms on nights before we knew we were waking up extra early.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.