• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I nuts?

Time of past OR future Camino
Ponferrada to Santiago (2019)
Seville to Zafra (2020)
Porto to Santiago (2020)
I am considering walking for just one week the VDP starting on Feb 11th ( seduced by the cheap Easyjet fare from London to Seville). Will I meet anyone? I hope to complete at a later date. Thanks Trish

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nuts for taking the opportunity to go on camino? Surely not!

But what do you want to do? VdlP is quiet, in winter even quieter. if you want to meet people, maybe not the best option. But really, it all depends on your expectations.
Can't be bad to be in Sevilla though.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anytime. And cute doggo! :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Be careful what you wish for! I wrote a blog trishboyington.com for my first Camino Ponferrada to SDC. Maybe read the last page to get the idea of my sense of humour. 2020 I have planned ( after the encouragement) The first stage of the VDLP in February, Porto to SDC in July and Leon to Ponferrada in September

The VDLP is a lonely walk but beautiful in its own right. I walked from Seville to Salamanca and am going to do the rest next year. I would warn you that the first part of the Seville to one week in is not the greatest. It certainly doesn't have some of the historical or religious points of interest (other than Seville), if that's what you are looking for. That said, it is still a good walk. Just set your expectations at the lower end of the scale. The VDLP, in my view, gets better after Merida but that's just my opinion. If you want to see what your going to walk through take a look at the first few stages of the trail on some GoPro footage that I took of the VDLP. It shows the entire stage walked (not entertaining by intent more to be informative of what you'll see). Enjoy the walk.

Thank you so much for your encouragement and for your knowledge. Like so many before me I have been drawn to the various Caminos in a way hard to explain. I know it will give more than I could ask for and leave me wanting more

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, you're nuts @Trishb, we all are. Merry Christmas!

Walking the Via de la Plata in winter has its challenges. Weather conditions can be rather fierce. After arriving in SdC Dec, 2009 I wintered over in a small pueblo near Salamanca. I wrote about it here:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-in-winter.7253/ (scroll down a little )

7 April, 2010 Three months later...
... I am still sporting peregrina garb as I sleep beneath a stack of blankets, clinging to the comfort of a below-zero duck-down sleeping bag. It is fiercely cold at nights and in the mornings there is frost and sometimes ice, but finally Spring has come and there is a little heat in the afternoon sun.

How the peregrinos have suffered this Winter. From December ´til late March every peregrino seeking shelter arrived exhausted with tales of trecherous conditions: chest-high rivers outside of Seville; coping in freezing fogs with knee-deep snow and ice; incessant rain and relentless mud; the horrors of dead and dying cattle floating in lakes of water.

One peregrina slipped and broke her finger and others, we heard, turned back and flew home. One peregrino set out from Seville only to end Day One with torn ligaments. Rather than give up he purchased a donkey and weeks later hobbled into Fuenterroble where he stayed a while, regaling us with funny stories. He is probably still out there somewhere prodding and shoving his stubborn mule, making only 10 kms per day....

Happy planning, @Trishb. Don't forget your woolies!
-Lovingkindness

Last edited:
I am considering walking for just one week the VDP starting on Feb 11th ( seduced by the cheap Easyjet fare from London to Seville). Will I meet anyone? I hope to complete at a later date. Thanks Trish

From my own experience walking the VdlP in February/March - not bl...dy likely as one of your royals liked to say ;-) But I loved it! So, go for it and Buen Camino, SY

Trish

Based on nothing more than the probability that the weather will be better In Andalucía than London - and that you have the time and funds to go - then you seem to have rather loaded the question in favour of ‘go’. This is, of course the correct answer to any question starting ‘should I’,with the exceptions of incest and morris dancing.

D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One week - most likely you will make it from Seville to Zafra (About 150 km). From there you can return to Seville easily with the local bus operator LEDA. So take the opportunity and enjoy.

I walked in February a few years ago. It all depends on the weather what kind of experience you have. If it's sunny and dry it can be like paradise. If it's cold and raining... Well, not so nice.

I would say go for it but have a plan B in case the weather lets you down.

Gerald

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Trish, hope your plans are shaping up well as your depature draws closer. I was reminded of the Vdp today while on my daily walk to check the water levels in our stock troughs. It's the height of summer here at the moment and it hasn't rained for weeks so it's hot and dry and browning off, not as expansive as the Vdp but being out I n the heat of the day brought back memories of this fabulous route. I didn't meet any pilgrams but the local farm dogs joined me on my walk just like the vdp. Your Camino will be different as the weather will be different, but different isn't always bad so strike out and enjoy being on the road again. All the best.

Hi Trish, hope your plans are shaping up well as your depature draws closer. I was reminded of the Vdp today while on my daily walk to check the water levels in our stock troughs. It's the height of summer here at the moment and it hasn't rained for weeks so it's hot and dry and browning off, not as expansive as the Vdp but being out I n the heat of the day brought back memories of this fabulous route. I didn't meet any pilgrams but the local farm dogs joined me on my walk just like the vdp. Your Camino will be different as the weather will be different, but different isn't always bad so strike out and enjoy being on the road again. All the best.
Thank you so much. I am literally counting the days and can hardly wait to start.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The VDLP is a lonely walk but beautiful in its own right. I walked from Seville to Salamanca and am going to do the rest next year. I would warn you that the first part of the Seville to one week in is not the greatest. It certainly doesn't have some of the historical or religious points of interest (other than Seville), if that's what you are looking for. That said, it is still a good walk. Just set your expectations at the lower end of the scale. The VDLP, in my view, gets better after Merida but that's just my opinion. If you want to see what your going to walk through take a look at the first few stages of the trail on some GoPro footage that I took of the VDLP. It shows the entire stage walked (not entertaining by intent more to be informative of what you'll see). Enjoy the walk.

Further filming in May 2020? Im starting in Seville on April 28th ...

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back