• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I packing too much?

Well done!! Sounds like a good list for clothes.
Tops - I usually take one warmer long sleeve, one medium weight short sleeve and one very light weight sleeveless merino shirts. I don’t wear long sleeve for the sun. You don’t have to wash merino every day.
Pullover? Do you mean fleece? A wind proof fleece is good. Or your rain jacket can be a layer for the wind.
I only took two bras. Two undies.
Watch out for the extras - toiletries etc. they can add more weight than clothes.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Jodean - Please say more about the reason for a knee-length fleece jacket.
I'll be on the CF Sept 20 to Nov. 1 and I am trying to decide on my warmest layer.
Thanks!

I bought gloves and found to my dismay that they were there only to warm hands without being waterproof. I was wringing those gloves every 30 minutes the other day when it was pouring.
Another possibility with cotton gloves is to find a pair of latex/rubber gloves to wear over top the cotton. Not breathable but hey, I'd rather be warm than cold. Of course that doesn't take into account the potential for sweat. One trick I learned with any cold appendage is to rotate/swing it about quickly. So with cold hands, swing your arms like a propeller 360 degrees, and this will warm them up really well :).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another possibility with cotton gloves is to find a pair of latex/rubber gloves to wear over top the cotton. Not breathable but hey, I'd rather be warm than cold. Of course that doesn't take into account the potential for sweat. One trick I learned with any cold appendage is to rotate/swing it about quickly. So with cold hands, swing your arms like a propeller 360 degrees, and this will warm them up really well :).
That’s an excellent idea. Thank you.

I realise that each individual is different in terms of likes and dislikes. I walked the Camino Aragonese and it poured down two days in a row. Knowing that Galicia and northern Spain has a tendency to have rainfall during many months, I would suggest KEEPING the rain pants.

Hi everyone! I am walking the Camino Frances in two weeks for ten days! My worst fear is packing too much and making my pack too heavy. I’m going to list what I have planned and any thoughts on if it’s too much, too little, or just right is greatly appreciated!

Edit for clarity on some things!! ***

1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants - not super heavy.
1 pair of leggings - for evenings and for sleeping
2 long sleeve shirts - 1 merino wool and one dry fit.
1 cotton t shirt - for sleeping and the airplane ride over.
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
4 pairs of merino wool socks
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
Looks about right for 10 days.

Things I wouldn't do the Camino again without:

- Tape to strap my feet (I religiously strapped my feet every morning. The blisters still came but they weren't so bad)
- Gators (stops sand getting in your shoes. I had this problem after the first two weeks when my legs were tired and my stride got lazy. Sand/Pebbles + blisters were hell. May not be needed for a shorter walk)
- Good earplugs (and spares, those things get lost in the night)
- a pillowcase (I didn't take one and wished I had)
- a bum bag (to keep phone, passport, credit card and money separate with easy access. It went down to the bottom of my sleeping bag by my feet when I slept at night)
- my water bottle attachment (image attached) so I could keep my water bottle in my side pouch and drink without taking my backpack off)
- hat
- dry sacks (I had three sizes: small medium and large, allowed me to compartmentalize everything in my back pack and everything stayed dry)
- sunscreen
- a length of washing line and pegs (I would string it round my lower bunk bed and hang my washing out to dry)

Enjoy it! Buen Camino!
Hi everyone! I am walking the Camino Frances in two weeks for ten days! My worst fear is packing too much and making my pack too heavy. I’m going to list what I have planned and any thoughts on if it’s too much, too little, or just right is greatly appreciated!

1 sleeping bag
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!

1 sleeping bag
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20141003_174849.jpg
    20141003_174849.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230512_121104_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230512_121104_Gallery.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20141020_123808.jpg
    20141020_123808.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 20141010_090235.jpg
    20141010_090235.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.