• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I packing too much?

Alexaklem

Time of past OR future Camino
March -April 2023
Hi everyone! I am walking the Camino Frances in two weeks for ten days! My worst fear is packing too much and making my pack too heavy. I’m going to list what I have planned and any thoughts on if it’s too much, too little, or just right is greatly appreciated!

Edit for clarity on some things!! ***

1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants - not super heavy.
1 pair of leggings - for evenings and for sleeping
2 long sleeve shirts - 1 merino wool and one dry fit.
1 cotton t shirt - for sleeping and the airplane ride over.
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
4 pairs of merino wool socks
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 3C0F4293-5896-4406-8C19-63D58262A5B4.jpeg
    3C0F4293-5896-4406-8C19-63D58262A5B4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13,829
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Would you consider loading up your pack with those items and some food and water and taking a walk around your neighbourhood for a few hours? That would tell you if it's too heavy for YOU or not. I would switch the cotton tshirt for a merino one and only take two bras (but at this time of year I would probably put in gloves - although socks will work for that too)....but if it feels good, then stick with what you have.

Hi everyone! I am walking the Camino Frances in two weeks for ten days! My worst fear is packing too much and making my pack too heavy. I’m going to list what I have planned and any thoughts on if it’s too much, too little, or just right is greatly appreciated!
1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
Hola

1 sleeping bag
1 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings ? (normally one pair of troussers, 1 pair of shorts (or zip off) and maybe 1 pair of yogapants/ sleeping pants)
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt (avoid cotton)
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
2-3 pairs of merino wool socks
3 underwear
3 sports bras (got no clue - i'm a man)
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Just my 5 cents.

• You may consider a rock to unburden yourself off. (if you have anything in your life to be left behind..) It doesnt have to be at Cruz Feror, but can be anywhere really.
• Safety pins for hanging wet cloth on your backpack
• String/ paracord 3-4 meters as washing cord
• A 5-7 L drybag can be used as a washing bag when it is not used as a cointainer

I hope this helps
Buen Camno
Lettinggo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Consider a hydration bag for drinking water..you can drink from it without removing your pack plus 1 ltr of water weighs 1klg ( I normally carry 2 ltrs but from memory there are more Fuentes on the Frances so 1 ltr will probably be fine).
Top Tip a rucksack cover may not be all it is cracked up to be and rain will certainly get in somewhere. I have always packed stuff in plastic bags to ensure they stay dry. Most importantly this applies to your mobile phone as well.
Lastly maybe a plastic mug and spork with a few packet soups /instant noodles as a standby "meal". These have been useful to me in the past and I always carry them ( max gain for very little weight)
Buen Camino for your forthcoming trip.
Don.

1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!

Not a bad list. I would suggest:

1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants (only 1. You are wearing the other)
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts (only 1. You are wearing the other)
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
4 pairs of merino wool socks (are you double socking? If not cut to 2. and you are wearing a third)
3 underwear (only 2. You are wearing the other)
3 sports bras (only 2. You are wearing the other)
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Forgot to point out re plastic bags. If you are staying in an albergue pack the night before you leave so the "scrunching" noise they will make does not wake your fellow pilgrims.
Don

Hi, Alexa - I'm also heading for St Jean PdP soon (22 March), intending to walk the Camino Frances.

I've been doing 20km training walks near Amsterdam (no hills) & steadily increased the weight of my pack to 8kg including 1kg water... this has showed me that I would be MUCH more comfortable carrying at least 1kg, less, ie. 6kg dry weight, preferably 5kg. I should add that I am a 6ft tall man and whilst not at all overweight, definitely somewhat over-age @71🙃.

May I please ask what your present "all-up" pack weight will be? I am of course calculating the weight I will be carrying on warm days, ie. when my fleece etc are all in the pack - the biggest challenge is to ensure that if the wind chill drops to below 0C in high, exposed places, there is still enough clothing to stay warm and dry whilst moving (in my case, this will mean wearing just about everything).

I will walk 20km this weekend with 7kg total and see how it goes, then I have decided to ruthlessly remove gear from my pack until I get down to my target weight.

Lastly, from where are you starting ?

It all depends on your upper body strength as far as I am concerned. I have lots of stamina in my legs, and can walk forever, but I actually have terrible upper body strength so i trek extremely light. I can hardly walk a mile with a pack thats too heavy! !!

As a man, three bras seems excessive judging by how often my female friends change their bras or so they say. Maybe you could throw some away as you advance (i tend to wear old clothes and throw them away as I advance) assuming they are not La Perla or Victoria’s secrets!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

1 sleeping bag
1 pair of leggings
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
4 pairs of merino wool socks (are you double socking? If not cut to 2. and you are wearing a third)
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.
I would suggest that you take no cotton t-shirt unless they are for sleeping due to sweat. I would also suggest a polar instead of a pull over. Just a suggestion.

1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
Follow the rule of wear one to walk, wear the other in the evening while you are washing/drying. There's still room to be ruthless on this list. One pair of pants only, one long sleeved shirt only. Two bras, wear one and wash one, etc. This may cut back socks and undies as well although I take 3 pairs of each of those. Leggings for evening and sleep or leave them out and take the second pair of pants instead.

I'm not the most experienced camino walker around here. I can only say what I've found out during my one camino experience.
I think, packing lists are not a right/wrong thing. Do you absolutely need three shirts? No, I don't think so. Are only two shirts the exact right amount of shirts to take? No, I don't think so, either. Can you happily walk your camino with tho shirts? Yes, you can. Can you with three? Yes, you can, as well :)
I carried three T-shirts with me (wore one, carried two in my pack). Most of the days, I washed the worn one in the afternoon, put on another one, and the washed one dried until morning. But there were some days I didn't feel like washing my clothes (I was tired, or it was too late, or I went for a meal with other pilgrims, or I rather spent the time in the city, stuff like that).
So yes, I had to carry a bit more weight for a month. But I did not absolutely need to wash my clothes, every, single day. So, you can only choose what you sacrifice a bit - either the weight in your pack, or some flexibility with your washing :) And, of course, you might throw away/buy things on the road, if at any point you feel you made the wrong choice ;)
Michal.don

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
At this time of year you will need gloves and a warm hat/beanie of some sort. Also pack another pair of spare socks and think about wet weather gear. Without sufficient cover your legs will soak through and water then runs down your legs and into your boots. It is particularly cold and wet this week, unseasonal but a factor of global climate changes.

Hola

1 sleeping bag
1 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings ? (normally one pair of troussers, 1 pair of shorts (or zip off) and maybe 1 pair of yogapants/ sleeping pants)
2 long sleeve shirts
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.
Hola
I walked the full CF Sept 2022, and the following served me extremely well! I’ll be walking the Le Puy this September and will bring all the same gear (minus the sleeping bag)

1 sleeping bag
1 sleeping bag liner (for super warm evenings and with my sleeping bag when it got quite cool)
3 bottoms
1 pair leggings
2 shorts/skirts
4 tops
2 long sleeve Marino
2 short sleeve Marino
1 very light rain jacket/windbreaker with hood
1 rain poncho that covers you and your pack
2 underwear
2 sports brass
Hat & sun glasses
Evening/lounge dress (something to slip into after your shower/ walk around town in - it’s nice to get out of your hiking clothes!)
Large lightweight scarf (e.g. privacy screen/sarong/something to dress up your “evening wear”)
Hiking shoes
Sandals/ consider waterproof so you can also wear in Albegues & the shower. Crocs are brilliant for this ….ugly for sure, but they tick all the boxes
Quick dry towel
toiletries
Small first aid/ blister kit

Buen Camino!

1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
Looks good.

Many hostels will not permit you to use your own bedding (due to risk of bed bugs). You may be able to go without
the sleeping bag. ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with all the observations ,upon the French way you are never that far from a shop or laundry , the one lesson you will learn as you climb the Pyrenees is how little we actually need .You can purchase anything you dont have on the way .Wear one ,wash one ,and one spare for the essentials only ,everything else 1 to walk ,1 when not walking and if they can be used for multiple purposes ,eg buff or spare socks for gloves ,even better . Cord to hang drying clothes great idea and a light valuables bag to keep with you at all times .
Good luck and buen camino

Looks good.

Many hostels will not permit you to use your own bedding (due to risk of bed bugs). You may be able to go without
the sleeping bag. ;)
No. You need the sleeping bag. In 8 Caminos: Frances, Portugues and Ingles, no albergue, hotel or hostal EVER told me I could not use my own bedding. That also goes for 45 years of travel all over the world. On CF, in the past couple years, Most albergues require and provide a paper mattress cover. Some have blankets, some don’t

The list does not include a hat / toque or a rain poncho? I did see the rain jacket but it will not provide full coverage. And, with a poncho, properly sized, a rain cover for the pack is not required. The poncho can also double as a ground sheet or windbreak, or even a tent. Add a reasonably sized plastic tarp and sleeping just about anywhere is then possible, in a pinch.
On another tack, my personal preference has been to carry not only a poncho but a light, packable wind breaker. Then, I will wear a fleece half zip sweater, the combination of which is enough to keep me warm while walking down topa few degrees below zero...if I wear some mitts or gloves...something that is still a good idea in the month of March.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola

1 sleeping bag
1 hiking pants
2 long sleeve shirts
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Just my 5 cents.

• You may consider a rock to unburden yourself off. (if you have anything in your life to be left behind..) It doesnt have to be at Cruz Feror, but can be anywhere really.
• Safety pins for hanging wet cloth on your backpack
• String/ paracord 3-4 meters as washing cord
• A 5-7 L drybag can be used as a washing bag when it is not used as a cointainer

I hope this helps
Buen Camno
Lettinggo
I second that.

Cord to hang drying clothes great idea
Hi Steve217, up to now, I have read about bringing a cord. I just wonder how frequently albergues do not have a cord to dry clothes, and how long it should be? thanks

Hi Steve217, up to now, I have read about bringing a cord. I just wonder how frequently albergues do not have a cord to dry clothes, and how long it should be? thanks
The cord is probably more for hotels which do not have actual laundry facilities. Most albergues will have a drying rack or line as well as a place to machine or handwash your clothes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If for no other reason cords are useful with a couple of pegs to hang yesterdays socks off your rucksack as you walk , if they arent quite dry, before you set off .
I apologise to all the pilgrims ive walked past with my socks and underwear hanging off the back of my rucksack drying as i walked .

1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
Hiya, a lot depends on if you are using Albergues or going for a Pension-style Camino. (Nothing wrong with that by the way, but means you won't need some items -e.g. sleeping bag, quick dry towel etc ) You won't need 4 pairs of socks - suggest minimum of 2 pair (One pair in wash, one pair on feet.) I personally take a total of 3 pairs so that I have the option of changing half way through the day.
If using albergues a pegless clothes line is invaluable (clothes pegs can be in short supply). An emergency plastic sink plug, sometimes there isn't one fitted. Earplugs for the dreaded snorers!
Some sort of hat - you might get lucky with the weather - likewise sunblock
Raincover for backpack if yours doesn't have one fitted -you might be unlucky with the weather.
Depending on where you plan on starting your Camino - it might be prudent to get your Credencial before you travel (available on this site).
Everyone quotes a maximum backpack weight of no more than 10% of your body weight - but obviously the lighter the better. Include the amount of water you will be carrying on any training walks -water weighs heavy!
You will have a great time. Don't forget Spain has shops! You can always buy things out there if you find you have missed something you find is important.
Buen Camino
Frank x

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looks good.

the sleeping bag. ;)
It is true that there are many Dark-side Albergues where a deal has been done with the native bed-bug populations. No Permethrin treated sleeping bags allowed. And of course the DNA collected from used bedding can be used to clone compliant Peregrinos who will not complain about cold showers and inedible Lomo.

Well, it must be true because I’ve just asserted it on the internet. The only true source of all truths

I did stay at one hostal in East Glacier, Montana, in the US that would not accept bedding/sleeping bags. You had to use theirs. That is the only one I have encountered though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
You are not excessively overpacking - but there are a couple things you could chose to eliminate if you want to. These are the differences I would do:
1 very lightweight down sleeping bag - summer rated but I add a silk liner
1 pair of leggings, 1 pair of shorts, eliminate the hiking pants
1 long sleeve shirt, 1 t-shirt (but I prefer merino wool for all shirts), 1 tank top
Instead of a pullover - I do a down puffy but that is just my personal preference
1 rain jacket
I do bring 4 pairs of socks, but 2 are injinji toe socks with 2 merino wool socks which I layer together. At most - 1 extra pair of socks.
3 underwear
1-2 sports bras (very lightweight/quick dry material). Last summer I ended up skipping the bra during my walks and wore it in the evening which is how I got away with one, otherwise I would bring 2. Not everyone can skip the bra though...
Train runners
Sandals
Quick dry towel
Toiletries
Phone/charger/adapter
very small first aid kit (geared towards blister care)

As you can see - my list is similar to yours - I just do it a little differently. You don't have anything too excessive which is good. Weigh your stuff and see if it is all 15lbs or less... the lighter your gear is, the happier you will be. You might also be able to thin out your toiletry kit depending on what is in it... bring only necessities and double purpose anything you can double purpose. Don't forget a hat and safety pins! They come in very handy for laundry (I prefer safety pins to laundry pins because you can use them on a clothes line OR pin clothes that are still damp to your pack)

Looks good.

the sleeping bag. ;)
I found the opposite to be true - most required you to have your own bedding. I have seen an OCCASSIONAL place that wanted you to use their bedding, but most required you to have your own if you are in a dorm.

On another tack, my personal preference has been to carry not only a poncho but a light, packable wind breaker. Then, I will wear a fleece half zip sweater, the combination of which is enough to keep me warm while walking down topa few degrees below zero
I also found the combination of light fleece, light windbreaker (slightly rain proof as well) and poncho a really good combination. With merino tops and I was good down to 0C. For lower temps have a heavier fleece.

I must admit that packing for mid season hiking through the Pyrenees in mid April is a bit of a headache. the weather seems to be crazy as well: as an example today, I went hiking here in southwest France. When leaving home, it was relatively cool so parka and polar were selected. At midday, the temperature was 22*C (about 72F). Off came the parka and the polar, left with sweat resistant t-shirt.
The weather forecasts are not to be trusted: it was supposed to rain for two weeks with low temperatures, we now have clear and hot weather for the season.
We will have to adapt to the weather…and it’s a headache for packing for the Camino.

As per my weather apps, right now Leon is 10C, Sarria is 10C with rain, and Santiago is 11C with rain. I see a slight variation of 3 degrees from 7am to 7pm and wind around 10 to 13 mph. I hope it gets warmer and less windier by late April....

€83,-
This is my packing list that is pretty much the same for April-May or Sept. Oct.

Sleeping Bag, 830gr
Babimax Z-Fold trekking Poles,
Knee-length fleece jacket 500gr.
Altus Poncho, 340 gr.
UHV hand free umbrella, 390gr.
1 pair hiking pants
1 pair Merino leggings
2 light long-sleeve blouses
1 long sleeve turtle neck t-shirt
Eagle Creek black silk money belt
Hip pouch, waterproof
2 wide-mouth metal bottles
extra pair of eyeglasses
3 pair knee socks
2 pair knee-high nylon hose
mini solar light
mini whistle
carabiner clip
Light, knee-length sleeveless nightgown, 125gr.
Muslin towel - 190gr.
1 camisole bra, 1 sports bra
3 pair underwear
8 plastic clothespins
10 safety pins
2 bootlaces (used to tie up sleeping bag instead of stuff sack, can be used as a clotheline)
Baseball cap
Pillowcase
Crocs for shower and relaxing
Pilgrim Credential from Ivar
Camino Passport/Credential Cover,from Ivar
Guidebook Raimond Joos, (in German)
Travel toiletries (toothpaste, travel toothbrush, shampoo/bodywash/laundry soap, tiny bottle of oil to use on hair, q-tips) in a zip-lock bag
Small de-tangler hairbrush
First aid kit (band-aid strip, Imodium, Benadryl, Medi Nait cold pills, migraine pills) in a zip-lock bag
Bandanna cut into 1/4ths, in a zip lock bag as emergency TP
P-Style FUD in a plastic bag
4 light mesh packing bags
1 pen
I-phone & cables, plug
Ear plugs
Bandana to use a handkerchief
Notebook
Scarf
The weight is 6.5kg minus the clothing I am wearing and what is in my hip pack. I weigh 78kg right now

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is my packing list that is pretty much the same for April-May or Sept. Oct.

Sleeping Bag, 830gr
Babimax Z-Fold trekking Poles,
Knee-length fleece jacket 500gr.
Altus Poncho, 340 gr.
UHV hand free umbrella, 390gr.
1 pair hiking pants
1 pair Merino leggings
2 light long-sleeve blouses
1 long sleeve turtle neck t-shirt
Eagle Creek black silk money belt
Hip pouch, waterproof
2 wide-mouth metal bottles
extra pair of eyeglasses
3 pair knee socks
2 pair knee-high nylon hose
mini solar light
mini whistle
carabiner clip
Light, knee-length sleeveless nightgown, 125gr.
Muslin towel - 190gr.
1 camisole bra, 1 sports bra
3 pair underwear
8 plastic clothespins
10 safety pins
2 bootlaces (used to tie up sleeping bag instead of stuff sack, can be used as a clotheline)
Baseball cap
Pillowcase
Crocs for shower and relaxing
Pilgrim Credential from Ivar
Camino Passport/Credential Cover,from Ivar
Guidebook Raimond Joos, (in German)
Travel toiletries (toothpaste, travel toothbrush, shampoo/bodywash/laundry soap, tiny bottle of oil to use on hair, q-tips) in a zip-lock bag
Small de-tangler hairbrush
First aid kit (band-aid strip, Imodium, Benadryl, Medi Nait cold pills, migraine pills) in a zip-lock bag
Bandanna cut into 1/4ths, in a zip lock bag as emergency TP
P-Style FUD in a plastic bag
4 light mesh packing bags
1 pen
I-phone & cables, plug
Ear plugs
Bandana to use a handkerchief
Notebook
Scarf
The weight is 6.5kg minus the clothing I am wearing and what is in my hip pack. I weigh 78kg right now
What a wonderfully precise list : thank-you so much !

I am 77kg right now, but with a creaking 71 yr old body have targeted 6kg as my max pack weight less water (2 x 500ml, so +1kg); I will just do it…

I’m leaving for StJean in 12 days & today was going to be my final full load 20km training walk, but yesterday I strained my lower back / groin helping a handyman move a very heavy piece of furniture (I know, I know…). It is a magnificent morning with frost on the ground, so I’m heading out with just a 3kg load to both test my lightweight gear in cold weather & see how my body responds once it warms up : will I have to stop or can I keep going (I think this is a useful test as I cannot imagine my body not objecting at various stages of the Camino)? I’ve always been a keep-going kind of guy (the thing is, when you hit 60, people say encouraging things like “60 is the new 40”… but when you hit 70, they just go “Oh…” 😄!).

Onwards & upwards. I will post my finalised packing list next weekend.

There is a lot of good advice here but there is also some equally bad advice for the time of year you are walking. I wish people would always post the season they walked. I have walked all seasons but winter and my earlier spring bag is definitely heavier. It requires layers for warmth including a puffy, beanie and gloves. Many times laundry wasn’t possible, because it was raining or snowing and my clothes wouldn’t dry on the line. Because of this I used a washer/dryer every chance I got. Some years there was lots of precipitation and others none, but be prepared. So don’t ditch the extra pants, keep three pair of socks, but you can go to two bras. Add beanie and gloves and I personally go with the Altus rain coat (it’s not really a poncho) instead of raincoat, pants and pack cover. As mentioned you are missing many little like camp towel, pins for hanging clothes……..
It is a beautiful time of year to walk and I find it easier to climb those hills in cold/cool weather. Buen Camino

1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
Following is my two cents worth:
  • You might want to add a sleeping bag liner but not necessary. Actually the whole sleeping bag may be ditched. Sure, you may have a few times where it would be beneficial but...
  • You should replace the cotton T-Shirt with a synthetic one.
  • You should be ok with 3 pairs of socks - wear one and two as back up.
  • You need a hat.
  • You need Sun Protection Cream.
  • You need a water container - though optional as you can purchase water bottles the whole Way.
  • You need sunglasses.
  • Easy on the toiletries as the weight can add up and you can replenish as you go.
  • Depending on when you are going, you may want to consider a fleece jacket. You may want to replace your pullover with a fleece jacket.
  • Replace the sandals with foam flip flops or crocs as they are lighter and will massage your feet more.
  • Do not forget about your electronics as that can add a lot of weight real fast.
Buen Camino
Ricardo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a lot of good advice here but there is also some equally bad advice for the time of year you are walking. I wish people would always post the season they walked. I have walked all seasons but winter and my earlier spring bag is definitely heavier. It requires layers for warmth including a puffy, beanie and gloves. Many times laundry wasn’t possible, because it was raining or snowing and my clothes wouldn’t dry on the line. Because of this I used a washer/dryer every chance I got. Some years there was lots of precipitation and others none, but be prepared. So don’t ditch the extra pants, keep three pair of socks, but you can go to two bras. Add beanie and gloves and I personally go with the Altus rain coat (it’s not really a poncho) instead of raincoat, pants and pack cover. As mentioned you are missing many little like camp towel, pins for hanging clothes……..
It is a beautiful time of year to walk and I find it easier to climb those hills in cold/cool weather. Buen Camino
One needs to plan a lot more when walking during the winter, early spring and one must take into account the weird weather switching on a day like today with rain, wind and 12C, tomorrow expected sun and 22C here in southwest France. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
I disagree. It's slightly heavier than what I usually carry, but not by much.
There are no prizes for the slightest pack. If someone is comfortable carrying 15 lbs or 20 lbs then they should carry the items that make them comfortable.
I’ve read that the weight of your packed backpack should not exceed 10% of your body weight. I tip the scale at about 153 pounds, so according to those readings, my loaded pack should weigh about 15 lbs. Do you xperienced Camino walkers follow this 10% guideline, or is it just that, a guideline, and people carry what they’re comfortable with/able to? Thanks for the feedback!

I’ve read that the weight of your packed backpack should not exceed 10% of your body weight. I tip the scale at about 153 pounds, so according to those readings, my loaded pack should weigh about 15 lbs. Do you xperienced Camino walkers follow this 10% guideline, or is it just that, a guideline, and people carry what they’re comfortable with/able to? Thanks for the feedback!
This has been extensively debated on the forum, . Here are some threads you might peruse. The simple answer is that 10% is only a guideline, at best, and is especially misguided for people who are overweight.

Of course, people should "carry what they're comfortable with/able to." :rolleyes:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This has been extensively debated on the forum, . Here are some threads you might peruse. The simple answer is that 10% is only a guideline, at best, and is especially misguided for people who are overweight.

Of course, people should "carry what they're comfortable with/able to." :rolleyes:
Yes, thank you. I realize that it had been extensively debated. I have already perused those threads. That’s where I got the info. I was responding to a previous comment that opined that “15 lbs is a heavy pack.” Excuse me for double checking. 🤙🏽

At this time of year you will need gloves and a warm hat/beanie of some sort. Also pack another pair of spare socks and think about wet weather gear. Without sufficient cover your legs will soak through and water then runs down your legs and into your boots. It is particularly cold and wet this week, unseasonal but a factor of global climate changes.
Maybe a pair of lightweight waterproof pants to wear with just underwear so you don’t sweat out in case of really cold rainy days? There were a couple of days in November on the Frances that I was glad I had them but that said I didn’t use them the whole trip obviously so some will caution against this extra weight. Or maybe a rain kilt with your sport leggings?
Also I always brought a set of lightweight long underwear that I would just use to sleep in or on the days that my other pair needed a wash

Following is my two cents worth:
  • You might want to add a sleeping bag liner but not necessary. Actually the whole sleeping bag may be ditched. Sure, you may have a few times where it would be beneficial but...
  • You should replace the cotton T-Shirt with a synthetic one.
  • You should be ok with 3 pairs of socks - wear one and two as back up.
  • You need a hat.
  • You need Sun Protection Cream.
  • You need a water container - though optional as you can purchase water bottles the whole Way.
  • You need sunglasses.
  • Easy on the toiletries as the weight can add up and you can replenish as you go.
  • Depending on when you are going, you may want to consider a fleece jacket. You may want to replace your pullover with a fleece jacket.
  • Replace the sandals with foam flip flops or crocs as they are lighter and will massage your feet more.
  • Do not forget about your electronics as that can add a lot of weight real fast.
Buen Camino
Ricardo
Or replace the cotton T-shirt with a merino sport blend. I use them exclusively - they can be expensive but I’ve never regretted the money spent on them

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
If you are asking you probably are. We all pack too much on our first. Pack less on our second and its still too much. It is always too much. Presume the shoes will be on your feet so they dont count. Were you have 3 and 4 make it 2. Ditch the cotton shirt, cotton not good. Assume one of the hiking pants will be on you and not in the pack. Toiletries need be no more than toothpaste and soap and deodorant. No need for much as its Spain not the jungle so easily replenished. I would add a jar of Vick to smear on your feet each morning to help prevent blisters. You lubricate your car machinery and feet are your machine for 800Km so lubricate them too. Ordinary vaseline will do but that was the one thing I had problems getting in some places. Every farmacia sells vick. Just noticed you said ten days not the whole thing so so cut another 1 off of underwear. And are leggings really necessary on a ten day pilgrimage. Buen Camino

1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!

To me, it’s not bad - but reduce by one bra and swap cotton for synthetic as advised by others.

It’s all the other stuff not listed where the weight starts to add up.

Passport
Phone and charger
Power bank?
Rucksack with rain cover and liner
Sunglasses
Wallet and contents
Sunscreen - at all times
Warm hat and sunny hat
Walking poles

If you were walking in the weather I experienced this week I’d add a bikini an umbrella and a canoe. March can be very unpredictable.

Last edited:
No matter what you pack there will come a time while you are walking that you will know you packed too much. That being said, the only questionable item from my point of view is the sleeping bag. Sleeping sheet could replace or perhaps it is a very light summer bag.

You are no doubt packing too much, but so what? Everyone has packed too much one time or another. Live and learn as they say. It's all part of the experience.

No matter what you pack there will come a time while you are walking that you will know you packed too much. That being said, the only questionable item from my point of view is the sleeping bag. Sleeping sheet could replace or perhaps it is a very light summer bag.
No. You need the sleeping bag. In 8 Caminos: Frances, Portugues and Ingles, no albergue, hotel or hostal EVER told me I could not use my own bedding. That also goes for 45 years of travel all over the world. On CF, in the past couple years, Most albergues require and provide a paper mattress cover. Some have blankets, some don’t
in March I’d suggest a lightweight sleeping bag. In the summer a sleeping bag liner was sufficient for me and I didn’t always get into it but used it as a light sheet often.

I am worried because my rucksack weighs 10 kgs. I have been doing training hikes with a full bag in order to build up my stamina, and my back is killing me. I have emptied the rucksack four times trying to eliminate certain items…to no avail. Mid season hiking though the Pyrenées will be tough.

€83,-
I am worried because my rucksack weighs 10 kgs. I have been doing training hikes with a full bag in order to build up my stamina, and my back is killing me. I have emptied the rucksack four times trying to eliminate certain items…to no avail. Mid season hiking though the Pyrenées will be tough.
Are you talking about walking the Camino Frances? If so, the only section involving the Pyrenees is the first day from SJPdP to Roncesvalles. About 24-25 kilometers I believe. No need to pack anything special for that section except maybe an extra bottle of water and some snacks.

1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
No phone or electronics. look like a reasonable list to me . I’ve walked the Francés 3 times and always think I have too much. If you can comfortably carry it, take it. One thing that’s a bit out there and is never mentioned is one of those small plastic hooks that you can on a shower door. Buy the in a shop that sells all the cheap bits and bobs. Reject Shop in Australia but everywhere has them. Often there is nowhere to hang your stuff and if you combine them with a hanging toiletries bag ( deuter, and others ), it’s happy days. And better than hanging stuff over a door. Little extra weight but worth a look. Whatever you take, you’ll have a ball. Don’t take anything that needs replacing; you just restock along the way, or is that Way.

Super helpful, thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
Does this include what you are wearing? If not and you are really concerned about your pack weight get aggressive: (First add a little extra money in case the following suggestions prove excessive. Also include a bar soap suitable for hand washing clothes as well as your body.) Then pack 1 pair of hiking pants (wear the other on travel to the trail), No cotton t-shirt -- you do not need it and you can probably easily buy one as a souvenir if you want or find that you do. Considering the usual weight of long sleeve shirts make it one-to-wear the other to carry. If they are light quick- dry ignore this next idea that you might leave the pullover from your list especially if by pull-over you mean a shirt with a hood and long sleeves. (A T-shirt with long sleeves could be worn under a short sleeved ( or long sleeved) regular shirts when warmth is needed. If your rain jacket or poncho does not have a hood, buy a head covering before you leave or where you start the trail (another souvenir?). Two pairs of real merino wool socks should be enough --It is claimed that they do not need to be washed but every 6th day. Two sport bras (one to wear, one to carry). Also consider taking a bag liner rather than a regular sleeping bag. If you have an ultralight bag (less than a pound and a half) you might as well carry it. Rather than buying a bag liner you can easily make your own with a silky (unless you are rich, not real silk) sheet that you can sew into a bag.
I guess since you are only going for 10 days that you will not be starting at St Jean Pied de Porte. In two weeks I will be going across the Pyrenees starting there. If I am wrong or you are starting from Pamplona look out for the old guy in the black beret with a small gold colored clam shell on it, and say hello. Bob from Florida

1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
Are you taking something for the rain besides your rain jacket? I personally like rain pants and an umbrella, but others are ok with a poncho--I just think you need something for your bottom half. I would eliminate one set of the underwear, one pair of socks. You can wash stuff out and if it isn't dry by morning, wear it on the outside of your pack. Is the cotton shirt for sleeping--if not, I would not take cotton to wear daytime because it takes too long to dry and is not warm when wet and hiking. Some items I see on your list are things I take, but I take lightweight ones. (My bag is 1 pound; I wear flipflops if I want shower shoes.) So sometimes the items are fine, but the weight is heavier than desirable--for example, the backpack itself. You'd be happier with two pounds or even less. If you are buying everything new, it can be expensive, so sometimes compromise is necessary. Alternatively: if you pack too much and don't need it all, you can ship it ahead to Santiago. Another option many use is transport service--that's not for me, but many prefer it. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

You might have too much weight for your back but that doesn’t mean you have too many things. Lighter versions of what you have Eg fleece instead of jumper, merino tops instead of cotton, will shave a few grams off each item, and all of a sudden you’ve lost a kilo or more. Having said that I would recommend you start as light as possible, ditch what you can - given what you have just said about t your back. You will be fine. It’s only 10 days ….

1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
If you have to ask, I'd say yes! :)
Sorry, I'm just joking, LOL. I feel you! I'm always nervous about what I carry, the quantity, and I've walked 4 Caminos!!
I honestly carried way too much on my first 2 Caminos. You'd think I would have learned after the first! One learns to quickly downsize and either donate to pilgrims in need along the way, or give to the donation bins scattered at different Albergues along the way.
Looking at your list, it looks very reasonable.
  • You might be fine with just 2 or even 1 sports bra.
  • Even 2-3 socks would be fine.
  • 1 long shirt and 1 pair of pants may serve as well for 10 days. Depends on if you mind washing your clothes as often as you feel you need to? I'd personally go with 1 pair of pants and maybe a sarong or shorts for when washing rather than 2 pair of pants. Oh I noticed you also have leggings. 1 pair of pants is fine with leggings. It's all about the layers. End of March/April will still be a bit chilly. Depends on your tolerance to the cold. A buff / beanie / thin gloves might be helpful also. I wore only one pair of pants over 42 days! A sarong and leggings for when I washed, in the height of summer! But you're going early spring. Way different. If you are walking over the Pyrenees, be prepared for any weather. Same for Galicia. Layers is where it is at.
  • A cotton shirt might want to be switched for lightweight but warm poly-merino mix? Or even silk, Something quik-dry. Cotton tends to hold water. Depends on your comfort. It's not too hot yet.
  • Do you have a first aid kit? That can add weight.
Your list looks quite good to be honest! Weight tends to add up in the smaller knick knacks for me, especially electronic gadgets (batteries, camera, phone charger, cables, adaptors, etc). If you're under 9-11 lbs, that's a good weight to aim for, I find, before water and snacks. I ALWAYS carry too much weight in water and food. I dislike going without.
I would suggest a small carry sac/backpack. Otherwise, it's looking quite lean, unless you have unlisted extras, which again can add up.
BTW, what kind of backpack and inner sacs do you have? Plastic, waterproof? Rain cover?

Hope this helps!!! Buen Camino. It'll be amazing!!! And you'll do great. Where are you walking from - to?

Last edited:
Are you taking something for the rain besides your rain jacket? I personally like rain pants and an umbrella, but others are ok with a poncho--I just think you need something for your bottom half. I would eliminate one set of the underwear, one pair of socks. You can wash stuff out and if it isn't dry by morning, wear it on the outside of your pack. Is the cotton shirt for sleeping--if not, I would not take cotton to wear daytime because it takes too long to dry and is not warm when wet and hiking. Some items I see on your list are things I take, but I take lightweight ones. (My bag is 1 pound; I wear flipflops if I want shower shoes.) So sometimes the items are fine, but the weight is heavier than desirable--for example, the backpack itself. You'd be happier with two pounds or even less. If you are buying everything new, it can be expensive, so sometimes compromise is necessary. Alternatively: if you pack too much and don't need it all, you can ship it ahead to Santiago. Another option many use is transport service--that's not for me, but many prefer it. Buen Camino!
I don't think I'd pin up underwear on the outside of my pack, LOL. I'm trying to recall if I ever saw underwear flapping on anyone's pack?? 😆 🙌🏻

1 sleeping bag
2 hiking pants
1 pair of leggings
2 long sleeve shirts
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
To each his own, but I like to have 4 shirts and 4 pair of underwear. That way, I can wear each pair of pants for 2 days thus giving me clothes for 4 days in case I need a break from washing. Technically I (and you) should take just 3 shirts and underwear. If I were you, I would take rain paints also.
I also recommend:
1. Nylon cord and clothes pins to hang inside when it rains or there is not enough clothesline outside, and, of course, detergent for washing clothes
2. I like a hanging toiletry bag AND take a certain type of plastic hook that can hang over a door. These help out to hang over the shower stall doors.
3. I personally store All of my stuff in waterproof bags. If cost is a factor, you could but a strong black trash bags in your back pack. My clothes bag can double as a pillow.
4. Sooo many other non clothing, non toiletry items referred to in other articles, including small sewing kit and/or safety pins, ear plugs,etc

If you have to ask, I'd say yes! :)
Sorry, I'm just joking, LOL. I feel you! I'm always nervous about what I carry, the quantity, and I've walked 4 Caminos!!
I honestly carried way too much on my first 2 Caminos. You'd think I would have learned after the first! One learns to quickly downsize and either donate to pilgrims in need along the way, or give to the donation bins scattered at different Albergues along the way.
Looking at your list, it looks very reasonable.
  • You might be fine with just 2 or even 1 sports bra.
  • Even 2-3 socks would be fine.
  • 1 long shirt and 1 pair of pants may serve as well for 10 days. Depends on if you mind washing your clothes as often as you feel you need to? I'd personally go with 1 pair of pants and maybe a sarong or shorts for when washing rather than 2 pair of pants. Oh I noticed you also have leggings. 1 pair of pants is fine with leggings. It's all about the layers. End of March/April will still be a bit chilly. Depends on your tolerance to the cold. A buff / beanie / thin gloves might be helpful also. I wore only one pair of pants over 42 days! A sarong and leggings for when I washed, in the height of summer! But you're going early spring. Way different. If you are walking over the Pyrenees, be prepared for any weather. Same for Galicia. Layers is where it is at.
  • A cotton shirt might want to be switched for lightweight but warm poly-merino mix? Or even silk, Something quik-dry. Cotton tends to hold water. Depends on your comfort. It's not too hot yet.
  • Do you have a first aid kit? That can add weight.
Your list looks quite good to be honest! Weight tends to add up in the smaller knick knacks for me, especially electronic gadgets (batteries, camera, phone charger, cables, adaptors, etc). If you're under 9-11 lbs, that's a good weight to aim for, I find, before water and snacks. I ALWAYS carry too much weight in water and food. I dislike going without.
I would suggest a small carry sac/backpack. Otherwise, it's looking quite lean, unless you have unlisted extras, which again can add up.
BTW, what kind of backpack and inner sacs do you have? Plastic, waterproof? Rain cover?

Hope this helps!!! Buen Camino. It'll be amazing!!! And you'll do great. Where are you walking from - to?
Thank you so much!
I was thinking that I would have my two hiking pants (they’re not super heavy) for walking and leggings for the evenings and for sleeping. I also tend to get cold so if I need to I could wear the leggings under the pants.
I have 1 merino wool long sleeve and then a typical dry fit long sleeve. The short sleeve is for sleeping and for the airplane. The pullover is because I know I’ll get cold and then the one rain jacket.
I have an osprey pack that came with a rain cover. I started to pack my toiletries and I can tell it will make it heavy. But I also tend to get sinus infections so I want to be prepared. I’ll most likely use plastic zip locks for the inside of my bag.
Thank you!

To each his own, but I like to have 4 shirts and 4 pair of underwear. That way, I can wear each pair of pants for 2 days thus giving me clothes for 4 days in case I need a break from washing. Technically I (and you) should take just 3 shirts and underwear. If I were you, I would take rain paints also.
I also recommend:
1. Nylon cord and clothes pins to hang inside when it rains or there is not enough clothesline outside, and, of course, detergent for washing clothes
2. I like a hanging toiletry bag AND take a certain type of plastic hook that can hang over a door. These help out to hang over the shower stall doors.
3. I personally store All of my stuff in waterproof bags. If cost is a factor, you could but a strong black trash bags in your back pack. My clothes bag can double as a pillow.
4. Sooo many other non clothing, non toiletry items referred to in other articles, including small sewing kit and/or safety pins, ear plugs,etc
are pillows not provided in the albergues? was just going to take a pillowslip.

€83,-
To the OP, I have not read many of the replies, but I'm sure most are filled with good advice.
For tips, from my own experience in walking six Caminos, I would remove one bra and one pair of the socks. I would add a versatile buff and a ball cap.
BTW, I love your "color scheme"! 🙂

The cord is probably more for hotels which do not have actual laundry facilities. Most albergues will have a drying rack or line as well as a place to machine or handwash your clothes.
I always bring a 20 ft clothes line. As suggested it is more likely to be used in hotels, pensions or B&Bs. Also a universal bath/basin plug is indespensible - David

I've honed down my own list over six caminos and aim for a out 4 kg (5 including 1 litre water worst case). This has been light enough that its pretty easy to forget I have a pack on.

As others have said though, If you're ex forces and are happy with 20 kg then knock yourself out :)

Lightweight quick dry fabrics (mine are dry in 30 mins in the sun.)
No cotton (ever)
Pack empty weight <1 kg
One set of clothes worn, carry one extra set, except for socks (3 pairs merino in total - allows one change midday)
Belt with hidden cash zipper (€50 x 2 cash)
Hat, bandana sun glasses plus spf 50 sun protection
Phone plus charger plug and cable(s), earphones
Thin light zippered fleece (layers)
Rain jacket (with armpit vents).
Hike towel
Dry bag
Super light sleeping bag
Exposure blanket
Super mini first aid items
Meds
Deo, travel sized brush and tooth paste
500 ml shop bought water bottle (x2 if hot)
Spork for ad hoc supermarket lunches

(things I've taken in the past but no longer do on the Frances - Pack cover, head lamp, superlight bivy bag, superlight air mat, poncho tarp, water bladdee - However I may take all of these items on my Via de la Plata in two weeks time just for peace of mind (I'm OK with sleeping anywhere outdoors))

I'm also a bald guy and grow a camino full set :)

Buy there: soap, knife, other stuff that can't go in hand luggage. DO NOT check your bag!

€46,-
I've honed down my own list over six caminos and aim for a out 4 kg (5 including 1 litre water worst case). This has been light enough that its pretty easy to forget I have a pack on.

As others have said though, If you're ex forces and are happy with 20 kg then knock yourself out :)

Lightweight quick dry fabrics (mine are dry in 30 mins in the sun.)
No cotton (ever)
Pack empty weight <1 kg
One set of clothes worn, carry one extra set, except for socks (3 pairs merino in total - allows one change midday)
Belt with hidden cash zipper (€50 x 2 cash)
Hat, bandana sun glasses plus spf 50 sun protection
Phone plus charger plug and cable(s), earphones
Thin light zippered fleece (layers)
Rain jacket (with armpit vents).
Hike towel
Dry bag
Super light sleeping bag
Exposure blanket
Super mini first aid items
Meds
Deo, travel sized brush and tooth paste
500 ml shop bought water bottle (x2 if hot)
Spork for ad hoc supermarket lunches

(things I've taken in the past but no longer do on the Frances - Pack cover, head lamp, superlight bivy bag, superlight air mat, poncho tarp, water bladdee - However I may take all of these items on my Via de la Plata in two weeks time just for peace of mind (I'm OK with sleeping anywhere outdoors))

I'm also a bald guy and grow a camino full set :)

Buy there: soap, knife, other stuff that can't go in hand luggage. DO NOT check your bag!
Why does everyone else bring a knife? I never have - D

It does rather sound like your back is telling you clearly to lighten the load. I've just stuffed everything into my backpack, including the clothes that I will wear and I'm down to 6kg. After reading a post here on hydration, I intend to start by carrying just 0.5 litres water, refilling at every opportunity. Will buy another 0.5l if & as required.

My target is now 6.5kg including water and whilst wearing warmer-end-of-the-spectrum April weather clothing (so wearing trousers, T-shirt, phone in pocket, Hoka shoes and socks with the rest in backpack. Basic formula is 2 x socks, 2 x underwear, 2 x T-shirts, 1 x long merino underwear, 1 x merino mid-layer inc hood, 1 x lightweight fleece, 1 x windproof gilet, 1 x beanie, 1 x merino neck buff, 1 x poncho with sleeves, 1 x basic rain trousers, 1 x summer sleeping bag, 1 x silk liner, 1 x towel, 1 x Crocs, 1 x thin gloves. Everything synthetic except me and the three merino items. Almost everything from Decathlon. One possible super-luxury item (85g) : €0.99c IKEA long shoe horn (my back loves it) !!!

Short test walk yesterday in windless, but cloudy 2C temperature: all warm gear on except poncho and rain trousers: MUCH too hot after 2km, so I reckon with everything on I can manage slightly sub-zero wind chill.

Will post full packing list next weekend.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

1 sleeping bag
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
You have a decent list. If I might suggest: I wore my clean clothes to bed and was ready straight away in the morning. No need for a cotton shirt. Wear your hiking gear on the airplane. First aid kit is essential. You can find a good list anywhere. I took 2 short sleeve and 2 long sleeved dry wicking shirts. And a zip up fleece. I used my rain coat for a wind break. An over all poncho is great in a steady rain. 3 socks should do it. Safety pins to hang wet laundry from your pack if necessary. 2 bras will do it. Evenings I just wore my clean clothes for the next day. I hope this helps. Buen Camino

If I might suggest: I wore my clean clothes to bed and was ready straight away in the morning. No need for a cotton shirt. Wear your hiking gear on the airplane.
These were some of the first tips I was given before my first Camino for albergue living. I always packed up my backpack the night before, and was quickly out the door the next morning after a quick bathroom break and face wash while others were racing around doing last minute things.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You have a decent list. If I might suggest: I wore my clean clothes to bed and was ready straight away in the morning. No need for a cotton shirt. Wear your hiking gear on the airplane. First aid kit is essential. You can find a good list anywhere. I took 2 short sleeve and 2 long sleeved dry wicking shirts. And a zip up fleece. I used my rain coat for a wind break. An over all poncho is great in a steady rain. 3 socks should do it. Safety pins to hang wet laundry from your pack if necessary. 2 bras will do it. Evenings I just wore my clean clothes for the next day. I hope this helps. Buen Camino
You have opened my eyes on the shirts, thanks.

If you think you might like to sleep in your clothing, try it at home first.
There is no way that I can do this. Keeping my 125gr. nightgown to sleep in.

I have yet to figure out why cotton is so hated. I have long sleeve cotton blouses that wash and dry easily and quickly. Having worn these on spring and fall Caminos, they have been great. This includes walking in pouring rain, but with a poncho they never got wet. Last spring, mornings were almost consistently 1-3°C. from mid April and all of May, and I wore a long sleeve turtle-neck t-shirt under them for the 1st hour, and then removed it.

For the pillow question, have always had a pillow in every albergue. I do bring a pillowcase from home as my luxury item.

Thank you so much!
I was thinking that I would have my two hiking pants (they’re not super heavy) for walking and leggings for the evenings and for sleeping. I also tend to get cold so if I need to I could wear the leggings under the pants.
I have 1 merino wool long sleeve and then a typical dry fit long sleeve. The short sleeve is for sleeping and for the airplane. The pullover is because I know I’ll get cold and then the one rain jacket.
I have an osprey pack that came with a rain cover. I started to pack my toiletries and I can tell it will make it heavy. But I also tend to get sinus infections so I want to be prepared. I’ll most likely use plastic zip locks for the inside of my bag.
Thank you!
For 10 days, take minimal toiletries. Especially if staying in private accommodation. They often offer. Small things definitely add up. If I had to shave off weight, carry minimal clothing and layer. I’d definitely only do 1 pant, 1 legging especially if you only wear 1 pair at night. Wash 1 when wearing the other if needed! Buen Camino, so exciting!!

For 10 days, take minimal toiletries. Especially if staying in private accommodation. They often offer. Small things definitely add up. If I had to shave off weight, carry minimal clothing and layer. I’d definitely only do 1 pant, 1 legging especially if you only wear 1 pair at night. Wash 1 when wearing the other if needed! Buen Camino, so exciting!!
This assumes hiking during the summer or warm weather, right?

I read this thread with open eyes as I am at this stage too, I have drawn a picture of my rucksack and its pockets and considered what I am going to put where.
Over the last three months I have increased my daily walks, and recently, have had the pull of needing to walk. Practising walking with the hydration bladder full has really helped me ensure I am drinking enough and weeing enough!. I love the idea of taking packet soups, as I was considering what small items I could pack for my first day of walking from SJPP on the 1st April.

As I have already been walking with a loaded pack, it has made me realise what exactly I am comfortable wearing, how my body feels and where it aches when I hit 12 miles, what my mood becomes when I have not eaten enought! etc.

One important item of learning for me is that I get cold hands really quickly and now prize hand warmth as critical to my success and subsequently have liner gloves and thinker gloves so I am not distracted along the way by that simplest of things.
I am walking through to Finisterre, so am mindful of getting quality of clothing right. I am taking 2 bras, one on, the other off. 3 extremely light weight pants, towel for modesty.
I am also going to plait my long hair and only wash it is necessary. Using a multipurpose bar that washes, shampoos, conditions and I am sure can be used for a multitude of other things.

What I have really learned here is that we will all have a different way of approaching what we do and dont pack, and in each shared story, there is a gem of learning for someone out there

Buen camino all
Amanda

I always bring a 20 ft clothes line. As suggested it is more likely to be used in hotels, pensions or B&Bs. Also a universal bath/basin plug is indespensible - David

I take a light stretchy pegless clothes line. Different varieties are available.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The cord is useful if clothes aren’t quite dry at bedtimes you can string up under top bunk and they will dry overnight 😊

I have 2 extra boot laces that I use to tie my sleeping bag, with the idea that if needed, they could be a clothesline. In 4 Caminos, have not needed them for that.

Thank you for your info. I was figuring out that light bunge cords could serve the purpose of hanging and tying up stuff as needed. Thanks again.

€46,-
It’s not that the albergue wont have a cord - they usually will. But sometimes what they have gets full.

It’s not that the albergue wont have a cord - they usually will. But sometimes what they have gets full.
As I mentioned before 20 feet is a good length. I have run a clothes line outside the windows of a pension in a town where all albergues were full - D

1 sleeping bag
1 pair of leggings
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toil

I only bring one bra! During the day, I usually wear several layers and opt not to wear one. I use the one bra for more social situations.

€149,-
are pillows not provided in the albergues? was just going to take a pillowslip.
Usually there is a pillow, though it may be quite flat. I also use a pillow between my knees to help with hip pain I have at night. for my second pillow I either use a blow up pillow or my bag of clothes. A pillow case stuffed with clothes can always be used if there is no pillow, or as a second pillow.

Usually there is a pillow, though it may be quite flat. I also use a pillow between my knees to help with hip pain I have at night. for my second pillow I either use a blow up pillow or my bag of clothes. A pillow case stuffed with clothes can always be used if there is no pillow, or as a second pillow.
Pillow case? Hey, why not..just light enough for a rucksack and very useful.

My target is now 6.5kg including water and whilst wearing warmer-end-of-the-spectrum April weather clothing (so wearing trousers, T-shirt, phone in pocket, Hoka shoes and socks with the rest in backpack. Basic formula is 2 x socks, 2 x underwear, 2 x T-shirts, 1 x long merino underwear, 1 x merino mid-layer inc hood, 1 x lightweight fleece, 1 x windproof gilet, 1 x beanie, 1 x merino neck buff, 1 x poncho with sleeves, 1 x basic rain trousers, 1 x summer sleeping bag, 1 x silk liner, 1 x towel, 1 x Crocs, 1 x thin gloves. Everything synthetic except me and the three merino items. Almost everything from Decathlon.
As above + toiletries, I'm at 5.6kg without water, but have decided to carry 2 x 500ml (one of which will be empty on days with lots of refill options), so 6.1-6.6kg all-up. Could reduce another 250g or so - for example, still have full 240ml Dr Bronner liquid soap, which could replace with 80g soap bar, but toiletries weight will be reducing day by day. My last 20km training walks were with 8kg on my back, so I think losing a little over 1kg will be greatly appreciated by back, hips & knees.

Here's a tip that we read in a book about the Camino before we left: wear your underwear and T-shirt into the shower with you. Use them as a washcloth, and you kill two birds with one stone. The bonus is not having to stand in line at the wash basin except when you wash other items (mainly outerwear). It works, we did it.

I came across the above 2015 post from the Dr Bronner soap thread: I think it's worth a try (might as well add socks) 🙃!

Edit 48 hrs before departure: adding all toiletries, space blanket, medical kit, Brierley book has pushed my departure weight to exactly 6kg without water, so 7kg walking weight, which should reduce daily (I have cut the Dr Bonner soap qty in half).

Last edited:
If for no other reason cords are useful with a couple of pegs to hang yesterdays socks off your rucksack as you walk , if they arent quite dry, before you set off .
I apologise to all the pilgrims ive walked past with my socks and underwear hanging off the back of my rucksack drying as i walked .
I plan to bring safety pins to pin the undried to my pack. I am sure we have all been there.

I have heard to that it's best not exceed 10% of your body weight in your pack. I am 12 days from departure and need to pack up and weigh everything. Bit nervous about that.

I have heard to that it's best not exceed 10% of your body weight in your pack. I am 12 days from departure and need to pack up and weigh everything. Bit nervous about that.
Percentage of pack to body weight isn't as important as how your pack feels. For some people 10% of their body weight is too much, while others can easily carry more.

1 sleeping bag
1 pair of leggings
1 cotton t shirt
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.
In my experience, having something "for sleeping in" that's separate from the clothes just slows down departure in the mornings. I put on my clean clothes for the evening and sleep in them. (I don't move fast when waking up, skipping a change activity helps a lot. I only add my socks and shoes and brush my hair and fill my water bottle before going.)

Sports bras: this is not a high impact activity. I wear one and carry one, and I don't mess with the running type. My first Camino, I had 2 running type bras which had binding on the edges of the straps. The straps happened to be directly under my pack straps. I took one look in the mirror (when I got one) at the deep red marks on my shoulders and "free-boobed" across the rest of the way. No, it's not very comfortable, but it beats the living daylights out of pressure sores. Now I wear the kind of thing called "yoga bras" on the Camino. With very flat straps, or thin straps that don't fall under the pack straps.

Undies: if I wear one and pack one of the general assortment of stuff, I also carry an extra of the undie and of the sock pairs. I don't favor heavy socks, merino or not, because my feet sweat. I have usually walked in Injinji liner socks, or light socks. I might use merino light socks next time.

Instead of the cotton tee, use a merino tee, you can wear it an extra time or even two before needing to wash. It becomes part of your layers if the day is cold. Or a dry fit type of tee, even though it needs washed a little more often it's better than cotton.

When we walked in October into November, we often started the day in: merino tee, long sleeved shirt, fleece pullover, merino hoodie pullover, and windbreaker. After the first half an hour, the windbreaker came off and got stuffed into the pack. A little while later another layer came off. And so on, often ending up in the afternoon in just the merino tee. Layers are your friend, and the layers become outfit options when the weather is nicer, too.

The sandals are good for the evening and the shower both, I assume you're taking a sandal that is slip resistant on the bottom.

When you run out of shampoo, body wash, and clothes wash, I suggest you consider buying the smallest bottle of dish soap in the parfumeria, pour it into the various soap bottles if you still have them, or maybe get some empties in the china store if you don't, as the "friendly to hands" dish soap will do pretty well for everything for as long as you're using it on the Camino. I abandoned the rest of a bottle of dish soap when we left Madrid to fly home the time I ended up doing that. I'm sure the staff found a use for half of a bottle of it!

I don't see any first aid stuff in that list, possibly it's included under "toiletries." I carry paper tape, hand sani (this is alcohol), some gauze, and maybe a band-aide or three. A tiny scissors to cut the gauze and tape if needed, part of the "emergency sewing kit". Pepto or Immodium, ibuprofen, vitamins. (You can get ibuprofen in Spain, Pepto is outright unavailable.)

BC

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I read this thread with open eyes as I am at this stage too, I have drawn a picture of my rucksack and its pockets and considered what I am going to put where.
Over the last three months I have increased my daily walks, and recently, have had the pull of needing to walk. Practising walking with the hydration bladder full has really helped me ensure I am drinking enough and weeing enough!. I love the idea of taking packet soups, as I was considering what small items I could pack for my first day of walking from SJPP on the 1st April.

As I have already been walking with a loaded pack, it has made me realise what exactly I am comfortable wearing, how my body feels and where it aches when I hit 12 miles, what my mood becomes when I have not eaten enought! etc.

One important item of learning for me is that I get cold hands really quickly and now prize hand warmth as critical to my success and subsequently have liner gloves and thinker gloves so I am not distracted along the way by that simplest of things.
I am walking through to Finisterre, so am mindful of getting quality of clothing right. I am taking 2 bras, one on, the other off. 3 extremely light weight pants, towel for modesty.
I am also going to plait my long hair and only wash it is necessary. Using a multipurpose bar that washes, shampoos, conditions and I am sure can be used for a multitude of other things.

What I have really learned here is that we will all have a different way of approaching what we do and dont pack, and in each shared story, there is a gem of learning for someone out there

Buen camino all
Amanda
I bought a cheap pair of cotton gloves for a Euro along the way as I forgot my gloves. Rarely used them but was grateful to have when I did need them ... chilly rainy mornings especially!
Buen Camino

I bought a cheap pair of cotton gloves for a Euro along the way as I forgot my gloves. Rarely used them but was grateful to have when I did need them ... chilly rainy mornings especially!
Buen Camino
I bought gloves and found to my dismay that they were there only to warm hands without being waterproof. I was wringing those gloves every 30 minutes the other day when it was pouring.

1 sleeping bag
1 pull over
1 rain jacket
3 underwear
3 sports bras
Hiking shoes
Sandals
Quick dry towel
toiletries.

Thank you!
I would take 2 more short sleeved shirts and ? Decrease to 1 long sleeved shirts.
You can think of the 2 short sleeve shirts as your base layer--needing 1 per day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.