• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I the only one who...

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Hasn't read a Camino book? I did start one - The Year We Seized the Day, but for some reason I stopped part way. I guess that I'm just not that interested in reading other people's Camino stories, since I have my own! People who know that I've done several Caminos keep recommending books to me, and I have one on my shelf that was written by a friend - Pilgrims With Credit Cards, but I haven't cracked it open yet. I was just thinking about this today, with the book club thread, and also because another friend has offered to send me her copy of What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim.

Anyone else?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have read one, I guess I had to in order to decide if I liked it or not. The observations and sentiments in that book were very personal and so different from my own – I felt that it somehow ‘disturbed’ my own perception and mental pictures of my Caminos, which I cherish very much, so that book became the first and probably the last.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hasn't read a Camino book? I did start one - The Year We Seized the Day, but for some reason I stopped part way. I guess that I'm just not that interested in reading other people's Camino stories, since I have my own! People who know that I've done several Caminos keep recommending books to me, and I have one on my shelf that was written by a friend - Pilgrims With Credit Cards, but I haven't cracked it open yet. I was just thinking about this today, with the book club thread, and also because another friend has offered to send me her copy of What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim.

Anyone else?

I'm a bit like you.
I have skimmed a few.
But the audience here is a bit like 'preaching to the choir'......

People keep giving me books and DVDs about the Camino (I also have an extensive collection of Rubber Duckies) and I have tried reading them (man on the Camino with donkey, father who had a very strange relationship with late daughter, German comedian) but they generally end up in a charity shop after about page 17.
I'll stick with the "Real Thing" (even though I'm a Pepsi/Kas drinker).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've only read three: @Rebekah Scott 's translation of Boltix's The Great Westward Walk, and her Furnace Full of God. Also Johnnie Walker's It's About Time.
All wonderful.

I've flicked through Paolo Coelo and Shirley MacLaine standing in front of a shelf of books in the library, but they never left the room with me. Too much woowoo for my taste. And I don't need to read the next book by someone who walked the camino once and has to write about it. I'll Push You is an exception to that and it's on my list.

And I admit to having Gitlitz and Davidson's The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago, but I haven't actually read it like a normal book. I use it as a reference, just opening it where I want some information.

Edit: SO sorry, I forgot that before my first camino I read @SYates's book on (essentially ;) ) what not to carry, Pilgrim Tips & Packing List Camino De Santiago. This one's definitely worth reading. There's a lot in there besides what not to carry, but that's what I took away from it.

[Does Brierley count? If so, I have to add him too. ;)]

Last edited:
Hasn't read a Camino book?
Define Camino book ☺️? I‘ve read a number of books related to pilgrimage and to the Caminos in Spain but none of the titles you quote, and these don’t appeal to me.

I read Kerkeling in German and Rufin in French but more because they are well written entertaining books and not because they are “Camino” books. And a number of other books (Frey, Hitt, Sumption, Gitlitz/Davidson, Péricard-Méa) because I was interested in aspects of medieval and contemporary history, anthropology, or a good guide on Romanesque art along the CF.

BTW, I read the German comedian‘s book long before I walked myself and while I enjoyed it I didn’t entice me to walk. I found it distinctly weird when pilgrims would tell me on the CF that this is where Hape did this and here’s where he did that. And another btw, I doubt that it translates well into another language so don’t start with this one should you ever decide to read a “Camino” book. ☺️

I also admit that I downloaded some of the self-published books of forum members when they were offered for free. I’m sure they have their merits. I speed-read some of them or fleetingly clicked through their pages but now I no longer make use of such offers.

Last edited:
And I admit to having Gitlitz and Davidson's The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago, but I haven't actually read it like a normal book. I use it as a reference, just opening it where I want some information.
Same here! It never occurred to me to read it from beginning to end and there are many pages that I probably have never looked at.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
BTW, I read the German comedian‘s book long before I walked myself and while I enjoyed it I didn’t entice me to walk. I found it distinctly weird when pilgrims would tell me on the CF that this is where Hape did this and here’s where he did that. And another btw, I doubt that it translates well into another language so don’t start with this one should you ever decide to read a “Camino” book. ☺️

Translating is an unappreciated art. You can't just do a word for word job. You need to understand both cultures.
I have read Hape's book in English, and the quality of the translation was poor, to put it mildly. I kept thinking, I bet that was funny in the original, but it just reads awkwardly here. I read it all, and quite liked the ending which I felt was quite 'tidy' compared with another book I read where the man just went back to his small holding and that was it.

I read MacLaine and Coehlo prior to camino; bad idea. I shivered all night in Rabanal del Camino worried about walking through Foncebadon with it’s massive amount of crazed feral dogs.

Post camino read Off the Road and I’ll Push You and Furnace Full Of God.

I enjoy seeing pilgrimage through another’s eyes.

No, none before I walked my first Camino in 2010. I never felt the desire nor need. I also don't have guides, I just use the Gronze website.

Last year I read Reb's book Furnace Full of God which I enjoyed especially since I have had the pleasure of staying at the Peaceable several times and know people she talks about so I guess that counts and John left me a copy of his book It's about Time when he stopped by Albergue Villares de Orbigo while walking the Frances in August which I did read. That's it!

I guess that means that I won't be joining the Forum book club as al the books are Camino related;).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I haven't read any since our first Camino although I did read Tim Moore's Spanish Steps beforehand. This has the advantage of being by a professional travel writer with a quirky sense of humour. I've also enjoyed his books on cycling and crossing the USA in a Model T.

The only camino-related book I read was the book "Ich bin dann mal weg / I'm off then" by Hape Kerkeling, the german comedian.
I recently read a medieval crimestory that partly take place on the Camino francès.

BC
Roland
I am reading Hape's book now.
I assume the Camino crime story may possibly be the one written by @Terry Callery.?

I have read 4 or 5 Camino related books; a couple written by forum members. All had merit in their own way imo. I agree, Tim Moore's "Spanish Steps" was very quirky and humorous.
A fascinating book, "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett, is a novel about the building of a great cathedral in Europe. It has been discussed elsewhere on the forum, but at 1000+ pages too lengthy for discussion as we hopefully will all be walking again before finishing up.🙂

A great thread topic, @trecile and a nice change from the usual.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Perhaps pilgrimage routes can be thought of as pathways for exploring particular parts of a country, a culture, a religion, and a history.

Someone elsewhere on this site recommended Michener's "Iberia", and I enjoyed reading it very much. I found it interesting and it gave me a sense of understanding a little bit more about Spain. For the same reasons I also enjoyed Laurie Lee's "Red Sky at Sunrise", and a so-called "non-credit university undergraduate level" audio podcast course about Spanish history, about 7 years before my first pilgrimage walk.

I certainly want to walk some of the other pilgrimage routes in France and Spain that I have not yet explored.

Although I hope to walk again the classic CF, I am in no rush. (My choice of "walk again", instead of "repeat", was deliberate. Not sure it is possible to repeat one's first pilgrimage.)

The reason for not rushing is that I am still savouring that first profound experience and do not want to spoil or confuse it with second layer of experiences on the exact same route that I took the first time. My thoughts and sensations might become muddled. Also, I do not want "pilgrimage" to become routine or a chore.

The same applies to reading about other folk's travel narratives. Eventually I will be ready, but not yet.

I plan to use this site's book club to expand my reading list for Spanish history and culture, not necessarily focussing specifically on the Camino.

Last edited:
Translating is an unappreciated art. You can't just do a word for word job. You need to understand both cultures.
I have read Hape's book in English, and the quality of the translation was poor, to put it mildly. I kept thinking, I bet that was funny in the original, but it just reads awkwardly here. I read it all, and quite liked the ending which I felt was quite 'tidy' compared with another book I read where the man just went back to his small holding and that was it.
I have read and heard from others about the translation. I am sure it is very good but I don’t think I will read it as much is lost in translation.

I should have clarified what I meant by "Camino books." I'm referring to mostly memoirs, not guidebooks or packing guides.
My friend, who hasn't walked the Camino, was telling me about What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim, and it almost sounded like a "how not to do the Camino" book. I felt like I might get angry at the characters if I read it.

I am interested in books about the history and culture of Spain, but I don't feel the need to read about someone else's blisters, their sleepless nights because of snorers, or their slog in the rain up to O Cebreiro.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Anyone else?
I too have been given e-books as gifts. I find other people’s books boring and repetitive. Much like most of the videos on you tube for the same reason. I can’t get through more than a few pages. I much prefer reading albergue reviews on Gronze. It is much more fun to try to spot type triple A personalities and folks who could find fault looking at the Grand Canyon. I have found some videos good and after checking out a video for 2 minutes or less I can pretty much tell if I will like it. For many they love reading these books and watching these videos, for me not so much and o have even wondered reading an excerpt or two thinking what is this writer talking about? But that is me and to each their own.

I agree with others, interesting thread topic, @trecile. Thinking a bit more about it all, I realise that I have never been keen on reading travelogues, full stop. I can't think of many that I own or have read.

I have Palin's Himalaya but only because it was a gift, and I am not even sure that I read it all. Despite the fact that I love Palin as an actor and love the Himalaya landscapes and people anyway - at least the little that I had a chance to experience myself.

Camino memoirs fall into the category of travelogues for me.

but I don't feel the need to read about someone else's blisters, their sleepless nights because of snorers, or their slog in the rain up to O Cebreiro.
This is what the forum is for...no additional books are needed to learn of these particular things. 🙃

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Am I the only one who...
Hasn't read a Camino book?
I should have clarified what I meant by "Camino books." I'm referring to mostly memoirs, not guidebooks or packing guides.
I haven't read any except for two Camino preparation books prior to our first camino.

That is none in the seven years since The Way set things in motion.

Anyone else?
I’m not sure I want to admit it, but I quit counting how many Camino books I’ve read at 50. Some better than others, a very few are works of art. None can replace or even capture the experience of actually doing it. Looking forward to our third Camino in the Spring of 2022!

Thank heavens for the diversity in the world. I hadn't read any before my first or second Camino (unless one counts the Camino portions of James Michener's Iberia, which I read as a teenager and wasn't much impacted by the Camino bits. I've read and enjoyed a lot of them in the last five years, though, just as I've enjoyed watching YouTube videos of peoples' Caminos (although, for some reason, I'm not attracted to the slideshow videos).

But I am grateful for you folks who don't really enjoy them and keep getting gifted them. One of my best sources for books is the sales table at our local Camino community semi-annual meeting, where I can find the books being passed on at excellent prices. :)

It's a really interesting point.

I think anyone who has walked the Camino could write a book about it, and one in a hundred might rise above the generally haphazard standard of personal travelogue and crossover into the mainstream.

How that ever happens is anyone's guess - like figuring out which social media post might go viral or not.

I do find it fascinating to see a book with lots of 5-star reviews also garner a certain number of 1-star reviews as well. That just demonstrates how difficult it is to define quality.

Overall, reading someone else's Camino book is akin to reading someone else's diary and looking for personal relevance. Unlikely.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One of the people I met on the Camino is from Hong Kong. He wrote a book about his pilgrimage and I'm mentioned several times...with pictures as well! He mailed me a copy-Tao on the Road- and it is truly one of my most treasured possessions. Unfortunately, I can't read it because it's in Mandarin!! How fun is that?

My brother did the Frances the year after I did and he also made it into a book-Un Diaro Peregrino. We can't read that one either, but we did recognize "Tio Jack" when he's mentioned.

I am interested in books about the history and culture of Spain, but I don't feel the need to read about someone else's blisters, their sleepless nights because of snorers, or their slog in the rain up to O Cebreiro.

Estoy de acuerdo. I have read several books on Spanish history and culture (including great ones on the Civil War period) as well as novels and short stories in Spanish – but that’s another ball game.

The only camino-related book I read was the book "Ich bin dann mal weg / I'm off then" by Hape Kerkeling, the german comedian.
I recently read a medieval crimestory that partly take place on the Camino francès.

BC
Roland
Kerkling’s book is considered by many for the massive increase in German interest in walking the Way. The same can be said for the American, New Zealand and Australian interest born from the movie The Way with Martin Sheen.
A book that takes a different tack on the Camino is “Merchant’s List” by A.N.Caird. It's focus is about twarting an attempt to assassinate Pope Benedict XVI at the Cathedral Holy Year 2010. The characters, over a two year period walk the CF, CP and CI. It's very accurate as to what a pilgrim might experience as they make their Way to SDC.
I am reading Hape's book now.
I assume the Camino crime story may possibly be the one written by @Terry Callery.?

Well, @trecile, I'm sorry but I need to move this thread to the Pilgrim Books section of the forum! It sounds very much like a Book Club thread - Junior Version!

My friend, who hasn't walked the Camino, was telling me about What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim
I enjoyed this one, but it was years ago and I might need to read it again. For me, it makes a difference to read a professionally written and edited book (which Psychic is), vs. a self-published memoir. I will happily read both, but most of the latter I speed-read. I admire and enjoy (to varying degrees) the self-published ones, but I don't subject them to the same type of criticism that the "professional" ones can take.
This is what the forum is for...no additional books are needed.
THIS thread and others like it are what the forum is for - a community of people with one primary interest in common, and a number of secondary interests too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Interesting small exercise: typing list of all camino books into Google.

I think that the search algorithms are not the same for every user so you may get different search results than I get. I get a list of images of about 50 book covers - a mixture of a few guidebooks and, predominantly, non-guide books and then further down the results list there is a link to Goodreads.com with a list of about 150 books. The list was created in 2013 and I don't know whether it even includes the output of the last 7 years.

Anyone else?
Hello! I walked the Camino Frances in 2015 after traveling to Spain for a retreat. Months before, I had a remarkably vivid dream in which I was walking on the way through rolling hills in the wind. When I told a friend about it, she gave me a slim book of maps that she had picked up but never used.

I did not prepare at all for the trip and sort of learned along the way. I knew enough to have proper clothes, shoes, a water bottle and a back pack. Most of which, I purchased in Pamploma before sending the rest of my luggage to Ivar in Santiago and heading to SJPDP. I cracked open the book of maps two days before just to get accurate information about where to start. I didn't even know what a camino passport was, or how important it would be on my trip. I used the mapbook every now and then, but pretty much just followed the arrows.

I never made reservations to stay anywhere. Because, I wasn't sure how far I would get. And, while I di wallk to Fisterra, I did not go to watch the sun set. Because I thought that the sun set should never set on the experience that I had.

Along the Way, many people we surprised to learn that I had never seen the film with Martin Sheen or read anything about the way. And, to date, I have never felt compelled to read anyone else's account of their journey, with the exception of Paul Coelho's book, The Pilgrimage. Because I LOVED the Alchemist.

So there is a long answer to your short question. Enjoy the day! rayne

Anyone else?
I am a reader and I read all kinds of books. I enjoy history, philosophy, religion, science fiction, poetry, plays, literature from all eras, and fantasy to name just a few. Our home is filled with books; I collect books and found many to be some treasured friends.

I have read a few books by those who have walked the Camino and I have enjoyed some of them and others not so much. It really is a personal taste issue - I can begin a book and never finish it and then a few years will pass and I will find it again and enjoy it.

It is like reading Herman Melville and just finding it tortuous to read as I did in high school. Or think of Juvenal, which many might find a true slog, but for me, I find great pleasure.

If you don't find it interesting, move on. If you find something you like, then relish it. During this time of COVID, few things are as pleasant as having the time to devote to a great book.

Anyone else?
I didn't read a 'Camino' book before my first Camino and purposefully avoided the movie The Way. Why should I let a movie guide me or influence me? It was my Camino, my experience. There are many fine Camino authors and books out there and I've read a few since. Much more satisfying now.

My wife heard about the Camino from her ladies book club, where the book was actually about the Pacific Coast Trail in the USA. She came home, did some google search, and then approached me with her latest great idea...” you walk across Spain...with your backpack...” she says.
“I have walked across countries with a pack on, and it was no fun”says I.
“dummie, 1.no one is going to shoot at you, 2. There will be crusty bread and red wine...and 3. I think you need a new pack....”.
“I’m in”.
Now try and guess who the real convert was?EED42DDB-B533-4D15-BAE2-3868F5E3BF98.jpeg
Like my shiny new red Gregory pack? It was great on the CF, but the pack did have a bit of it’s own trip when we started the CP, and it took 5 days to have it catch up with me!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Anyone else?

I agree. Make your own stories insted of living other peoples stories.

Anyone else?
I am a ‘sucker’ for Camino books and one of the most interesting I have read is Grandma’s on the Camino written by the granny herself Mary O’Hara Wyman who, at the age of 70, undertook to walk from St Jean to Santiago alone. She decided to leave her phone at home !! And only bought walking poles when she was several days into the walk. I won’t say anymore about it as I do not want to spoil anyone’s pleasure should they buy the book! But, I am reading this for the third time in a year!

I have read 4 or 5 Camino related books; a couple written by forum members. All had merit in their own way imo. I agree, Tim Moore's "Spanish Steps" was very quirky and humorous.
A fascinating book, "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett, is a novel about the building of a great cathedral in Europe. It has been discussed elsewhere on the forum, but at 1000+ pages too lengthy for discussion as we hopefully will all be walking again before finishing up.🙂

A great thread topic, @trecile and a nice change from the usual.
My husband and I read and enjoyed Pillars of the Earth. It was the perfect long story in audio format for our lengthy pilgrimage from Lisbon. We wear a single ear pod from a set so that we can listen from my phone. (Our free ear is for listening to nature, cyclists’ warning bells, and Buen Camino! greetings.)

My husband and I read and enjoyed Pillars of the Earth. It was the perfect long story in audio format for our lengthy pilgrimage from Lisbon. We wear a single ear pod from a set so that we can listen from my phone. (Our free ear is for listening to nature, cyclists’ warning bells, and Buen Camino! greetings.)
What a great idea, especially for such a long book! I have yet to listen to an audio book, by must give it's try in certain situations. A mini series was made based on the book and although I enjoyed it, I preferred the book by far.

Anyone else?
I took John Brierly book on my first Camino and left it in the forest a few days later. The Camino needed to be what I made of it...after all, it was my pilgrimage... I found books distracting for me. The only helpful thing to me was data on my phone when I felt lost in order to reconnect to the path/find an alberge. That was infrequent. I did find one piece of advice given to me by an Outdoor Store owner in Southampton, Ontario. Canada. She never walked the Camino but gave me advise from a customer who did many: Halfway in the day when you stop for lunch/rest, take off your boots and socks, let them dry 15-20 mins or so. Put on a new clean pair of socks, you now have a brand new pair of feet to enjoy the rest of the days walk...IT WAS DEVINE!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took John Brierly book on my first Camino and left it in the forest a few days later. The Camino needed to be what I made of it...after all, it was my pilgrimage... I found books distracting for me. The only helpful thing to me was data on my phone when I felt lost in order to reconnect to the path/find an alberge. That was infrequent. I did find one piece of advice given to me by an Outdoor Store owner in Southampton, Ontario. Canada. She never walked the Camino but gave me advise from a customer who did many: Halfway in the day when you stop for lunch/rest, take off your boots and socks, let them dry 15-20 mins or so. Put on a new clean pair of socks, you now have a brand new pair of feet to enjoy the rest of the days walk...IT WAS DEVINE!
Treat your feet like friends and they will do the same for you.

Anyone else?
I read every book I could get my hands on before my first Camino in 2005. I hate to admit that Shirley Maclean's introduced me to the Camino. I love history so I wanted to know about the places I was going to walk through along the way. Read more as they were published. Also watched some DVDs on returning. I have now donated most of my books to my local Camino chapter. I have hung onto "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago".

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I enjoy doing things two or three times -- 'cause it's interesting to get another "slant" on stuff I've experienced before, and because I'm forever changing. So. I've found the Camino Frances always different, as are the Camino books I've read - I miss a lot the first time, see things differently the second and third times, enjoy SO MUCH many things and people I enjoyed the first time. I did NOT like What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim the first time. Five years later, it was so different! Wait. It was different? Or ...

So grateful for this thread -- have just ordered several that I hadn't heard of (Thanks for @Arn 's suggestion and Johnnie Walker's It's About Time). And I'm finally getting around to reading The Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago by Elías Valiña! I had no idea Laurie Dennett did the translation. Now I want to reread her book A Hug for the Apostle: On Foot from Chartres to Santiago de Compostela.

My Favorite so far - @Rebekah Scott 's translation of Boltix's The Great Westward Walk! Oh my goodness...

I am a reader and I read all kinds of books. I enjoy history, philosophy, religion, science fiction, poetry, plays, literature from all eras, and fantasy to name just a few. Our home is filled with books; I collect books and found many to be some treasured friends.

I have read a few books by those who have walked the Camino and I have enjoyed some of them and others not so much. It really is a personal taste issue - I can begin a book and never finish it and then a few years will pass and I will find it again and enjoy it.

It is like reading Herman Melville and just finding it tortuous to read as I did in high school. Or think of Juvenal, which many might find a true slog, but for me, I find great pleasure.

If you don't find it interesting, move on. If you find something you like, then relish it. During this time of COVID, few things are as pleasant as having the time to devote to a great book.
Yes!!! I'm reading Art of the Pilgrimage right now and one of my favorite lines is

"Stranger, pass by that which you do not love."

Hasn't read a Camino book? I did start one - The Year We Seized the Day, but for some reason I stopped part way. I guess that I'm just not that interested in reading other people's Camino stories, since I have my own! People who know that I've done several Caminos keep recommending books to me, and I have one on my shelf that was written by a friend - Pilgrims With Credit Cards, but I haven't cracked it open yet.

Anyone else?
Yes and no. I've read various books of historical, archaeological and topographical relevance to the Camino, and a select few insightful personal - but not too personal - accounts, but with the notable exception of Kiernan's delightful cartoon production, I've no more interest in diary entries on daily distance, blisters and the dumping of mental and physical baggage than I have in reading anything relating to credit card tourism pilgrimage. The growth industry of such publications seems to reflect the overcrowded paths I'd rather not pursue. In my admittedly prejudicial opinion, the bulk of these 'my camino' books would be better left as as blog posts for family and friends to follow.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Do Camino guidebooks count? lol
I avoid reading other's accounts of walking the Camino because I know they're embellished and at times just plain caca de toro fiction (Maclain and Coelo).
I did get a copy of the Jack Hitt book used at a library book sale. I think it was $1.00. It was ok. I'm sure it has its share of embellishment.

Anyone else?
I finished The Year We Seized the Day and thought Elizabeth Best was honest and changed/uplifted by the Camino, but I thought Colin Bowles was probably insincere and just wrote a cursory "epiphany ending." But I hope he was helped, he needed it.

2 books:
Paulo Coelho "The Piligrimage"- before my 1st "Introductory Camino" which lasted only 3 days from SJPP till Pamplona.
Then there was a pause for 4 years and shortly before continuation of next stage I read above mentioned
"Ich bin dann mal weg / I'm off then" by Hape Kerkeling.
As I 've heard too many stories of movie "Way" which was inspiration for USA, Canada and Australia piligrims, I watched this before my final stage of French way Burgos-Santiago de Compostela. Luckily, this part of the way didn't have many attention in the movie, so I have my own memories :)

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back