• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Am I too laid back?

SirCharlesDave

Time of past OR future Camino
Autumn 2017
Hi,
I'm going to start the Camino next week - not sure which day as I'm travelling overland from the UK. Also not sure where I'll start from, but maybe Roncesvalle or Pamplona.
As you can see I tend to be relatively unstructured in my approach.

I've noticed however, that people seem particularly exercised about accommodation. I wasn't counting on booking (or planning) ahead, as I want to stop when I'm tired, take my time, and not feel obligated to undertake specific 'stages' To be honest with my level of fitness I think I'll be very slow!
Is this a mistake?
I understand I may get caught out every now and then with full Albergues and 'no room at the Inn' - but I hope this isn't often and I will carry a bivvy bag for use if I'm really caught short!
But I'll be happy enough to stay at random Albergues, or pretty much whatever I can find.
But am I likely to get caught out more often than I think? Can I expect most Albergues to be full by 2pm?

Advice gratefully received.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is this a mistake?
If it turns out to be a mistake, it is one that is easily corrected by making a reservation the next day.
But am I likely to get caught out more often than I think?
I understand that the crowds often occur in waves, and by holding back a day or two you may be able to get rid of them. (This is worse when you start at a major point with a weekend crowd.) If you keep getting caught out, then I'd say you should learn to make a reservation! :p:D:p:D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did it just as you described. Many people might find this stressful, I found it liberating. When you feel like walking; walk. When you feel like stopping; stop. If there is no bed then walk on. It worked well for me and I hope it does for you too. As to your original question; if you were too laid back then other people's opinions would not matter enough for you to even ask the question. :p

Buen Camino SirCharlesDave!

Im currently on the camino, and the only bed issues I faced were in roncesvalles (had to walk 5 painful kms after the Pyrénées!) and in zubiri (not an issue because I didn't want to stop anyway :p )

But other than that I always find places! Granted I sometimes book ahead at around 12pm if I know ill be arriving late (long walk or very long breakfast breaks...)

I also might recommend you book ahead in major cities like Burgos and Leon (and if u plan on staying in Pamplona)
Burgos municipal is nice with 150 beds but if u arrive at around 4pm or later you might not find places...

I stay in in-between stages and usually the alberge is never full! Few times we were very very few people and once I was on my own :D

Buen Camino

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will be doing my 4th Camino this September. I fly in from the UK as well. Have only ever pre booked accommodation for the first night on all of these walk.
Struggled once for accommodation about 2 days from Santiago on a Sunday night( but in the end stayed in a very nice small hotel a short walk from the Camino) and also had had to sleep on the floor in a sports hall and the floor in the living room in another on the second and third night out of St Jean. But it was all pretty uneventful and easily sorted - I speak very little Spanish and was by myself. I just think booking ahead is such a bind as you have to walk that far regardless on how good or bad the day is weather wise and what sort of lunch you have. I found accommodation in the Albergues fairly easily and there is plenty of small hotels around at very reasonable prices - plus they are so pleased to see you.
Like you I carry a small bivy bag but have never had to use it.
So my recommendation is to stay chilled .

Have a great Camino.

I've noticed however, that people seem particularly exercised about accommodation. I wasn't counting on booking (or planning) ahead, as I want to stop when I'm tired, take my time, and not feel obligated to undertake specific 'stages' ...
Is this a mistake?
But am I likely to get caught out more often than I think? Can I expect most Albergues to be full by 2pm?
No, it's not a mistake. Some places won't take reservations because of the number of people that guess wrong how far they can go. Where I was for several months, we were often full, but rarely at two PM. More like five or six. And some days (not often) only half full.

If you're carrying a good bivy bag+sleeping bag and are willing to use it, you won't have a problem. If Roncesvalles is full, you can sleep outside (saw people with a tent there and at many other places, regretted sending home my own tent in St Jean!). Often Albergues with a garden/yard will allow you to sleep outside with tent/bivy bag if you ask, especially when they're already full. You can still use kitchen/bathroom (same price as a bed, of course, but more privacy and no snorers or bed bugs).

During 1800kms only once I had to walk to the next town because there was no place to sleep (Triacastela), and it was only 2km plus. So, enjoy your liberty, don't book, just walk. You'll be fine.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,
I'm going to start the Camino next week - not sure which day as I'm travelling overland from the UK. Also not sure where I'll start from, but maybe Roncesvalle or Pamplona.

I've noticed however, that people seem particularly exercised about accommodation. I wasn't counting on booking (or planning) ahead, as I want to stop when I'm tired, take my time, and not feel obligated to undertake specific 'stages' To be honest with my level of fitness I think I'll be very slow!
Is this a mistake?
I understand I may get caught out every now and then with full Albergues and 'no room at the Inn' - but I hope this isn't often and I will carry a bivvy bag for use if I'm really caught short!
But I'll be happy enough to stay at random Albergues, or pretty much whatever I can find.

You'll be fine. Are you walking a pilgrimage or taking a cheap vacation? This is what you need to ask yourself. If it's the former, the Camino provides. I never planned anything. It was the best decision I ever made. I slept out a few times by choice. Two trips on the Frances and never stayed in Romcesvalles. One alburgue you DON't want to miss is Grañon. Just past Santo Domingo. I worked as hospitalera there in 2014. Father Jesus (how ironic) would not turn anyone away.
Buen Camino!

Hi,

Is this a mistake?

My husband and I have never booked ahead in Spain or Italy, we like not being tied to a particular time or place to stop, and we like the element of relying on fate - and it does turn up some very interesting and memorable surprises. It was different in the Le Puy route we took in France - we were walking as a foursome and in a busy time of year for French hikers and we found we needed to book one day ahead. But I much prefer doing it the other way. And we have never ended up sleeping on a park bench (although it would be kinda fun just once to need to - it would add another interesting memory).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks so much.
Even asking the question was a bit of a departure for me, so I shall trust my instincts now and in the future!
I'm in Paris right now - heading south tomorrow!
Buen Camino everyone!

SirCharlesDave,

May I share with you these timeless wishes written by Sir Walter Raleigh in the 16th century in His Pilgrimage

"GIVE me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My scrip of joy, immortal diet,
My bottle of salvation,
My gown of glory, hope's true guage;
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage....
"

May your journey be "laid back" and wonder-filled!
Good luck and Buen camino!

SirCharlesDave,

May I share with you these timeless wishes written by Sir Walter Raleigh in the 16th century in His Pilgrimage

"GIVE me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My scrip of joy, immortal diet,
My bottle of salvation,
My gown of glory, hope's true guage;
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage....
"

May your journey be "laid back" and wonder-filled!
Good luck and Buen camino!

That's perfect!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi,

Is this a mistake?

I made no reservations and always found a bed.. That was from SPDP. You will find people who have to know ahead where they are going and exactly where they will stay. Someone told me we all have different disabilities. I was older with blisters. She was younger with anxiety over where she would stay, I believe she sometimes got a taxi to be assured. We all need to do our own Camino and deal with our own selves! Have a blast on your Camino. Done your way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The time has finally arrived SirCharlesDave,

Safe travels and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back