• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Amazing albergue - don’t miss it!

Lulumom

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2018
The municipal albergue in Cavabelos is not to be missed. It’s a semi circle of rooms with two beds facing a central courtyard around a church! The women who run it explained it used to be a horse stable. Gorgeous, sunny and staffed by really nice people. 5 euros! Looks outside of town on the map but is actually just on the edge of town. Easy restaurant access. We loved it! Stone walls and the whole deal. There are a few public photos on my Facebook page: Kim Bowman. Don’t miss this albergue!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wanted to go there... it was closed :-(. Schlepped back into town, exhausted, and ended up staying in a hostel/albergue which had repurposed some of its hotel rooms as albergue space. Two pairs of bunk beds, sharing a room with a hotel bathroom attached - nice compensation for the wasted trip!

Stayed there in 2015 and enjoyed it. Wouldn't want to stay there in bad weather as bathroom access is across an open courtyard.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
:::whispering::: I disagree

But I guess that's the thing - depending on a lot of factors (who is hospitalero, weather, time of year) reviews can be positive or negative.

My experience has been that on 3 different occasions, 3 different years, we found bedbugs.
And so though I realize this makes hospitaleros bang their heads against the wall because you can clean the place up on day and a pilgrim carries the bugs in the next, I still won't stay there again.

It is a rather cool-looking albergue, though, and one of the few that have only 2 beds per room, which is nice.

This place is not on my top ten, not even my top 20. I stayed there once. It was raining and the comment about a long wet walk to the restroom also reminded me there was only a small vending machine area at which to eat. The roofing system of this amazing semicircle is wide open and so you can hear the convesrations of other pilgrims at least 5 or 6 or 10 doors down. The night I stayed there I had two Italians in heat next door, who thought they had some personal privacy in their little cubicle, wink, wink, I shared every bit of their intimacy.
I stay there specifically so I could eat dinner at Moncloa de San Lazaro. That was a 5 star meal. The next time I visited Cacbelos I stayed at Hotel Moncloa and had dinner again.
The next time I am on the CF I will trundle on to Villafranca, it looks a lot more interesting.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last spring I stayed in Cacabelos at the "motel" as I called it. I wouldn't say it was anywhere near a favorite of mine, but I found it unique and an interesting experience. I agree with both the positive and negative comments. I did have a rainy morning heading over to the bathrooms and although I never saw any bedbugs, for some reason I kept thinking about them the whole night. Maybe if my room had been next to the Italians in heat, like Don experienced, possibly it might have taken my mind off bedbugs! ;)

The municipal albergue in Cavabelos is not to be missed. It’s a semi circle of rooms with two beds facing a central courtyard around a church! The women who run it explained it used to be a horse stable. Gorgeous, sunny and staffed by really nice people. 5 euros! Looks outside of town on the map but is actually just on the edge of town. Easy restaurant access. We loved it! Stone walls and the whole deal. There are a few public photos on my Facebook page: Kim Bowman. Don’t miss this albergue!
Do you mean "Cacabelos", near Pieros?

From memory when I was there in 2014 the toilet paper in the women’s was outside the actual cubicle which meant a good deal of guessing about aniticated requirements .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had a good stay and great conversations with fellow pilgrims in the central courtyard, and enjoyed good hospitality from the owner. But I felt the sleeping arrangement was awkward. Just me and whatever stranger they put with me in a dark little cubicle. Fortunately I was with a pilgrim I had met earlier on the route. I may think twice about staying there again because of that.

Last edited:
I was with my son or would have felt awkward with a stranger too. Hopefully they only put same sexes together in those tiny rooms.

I was with my son or would have felt awkward with a stranger too. Hopefully they only put same sexes together in those tiny rooms.
Another albergue put me in a four-person room with three men I didn’t know. I didn’t find out until it was time for bed. Just wrong.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Another albergue put me in a four-person room with three men I didn’t know. I didn’t find out until it was time for bed. Just wrong.

It sounds perfectly normal to me - I hostelled around Europe years ago and most dorms were mixed

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Why?
I had the most quiet night at Mansilla's muni where I shared a six bed dorm with two real gentlemen.
And I remember a night in Triacastela where I shared the dorm with three selfcentred women.
Guess what I preferred...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
F22EA41A-0B7B-4235-8C18-D513485DDE07.jpegF22EA41A-0B7B-4235-8C18-D513485DDE07.jpegI stayed there last night in pouring rain. I can imagine it would be lovely in good weather by, uh ...

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back