Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Amazing night at municipal albergue in Borres

LavanyaLea

Time of past OR future Camino
N Wales, Frances, Salvador, Primitivo 2022
15E54FCF-04FF-436C-B2A2-F17E16793759.jpegDD8DA268-216B-4100-B850-64858BA20B92.jpegHi guys,

So, I have been dreading the stage coming into Borres, because travelling with Fuji, the only place that accepts a dog is the municipal albergue in Borres. The nearest places before was 28-30km before (in La Espina, Bodenaya, and Fontenonaya) and 30km after in La Mesa.

I was worried about not getting a bed at the municipal because it can’t be reserved, so we started early and arrived at 12pm, and was the first one to arrive (by a few hours).

Then I found out that while humans can sleep in the bedroom downstairs, it’s warm, it has mosquito net to keep insects away, and for colder nights there is an electric heater…. For the dog, we sleep “outside” in the upstairs porch. Basically the building is over 2 floors with the stairs outside in the terrace. So even though there is a roof, but there is no wall… the door to get inside the building upstairs is locked. We were given a bunk bed and a blanket, there is a light bulb but no power socket. To be honest, I wanted to cry because it looked like a prison. It was full of flies and mosquitos that I couldn’t even lie still, and the flies were bothering Fuji too and she tried to catch/bite the flies. As it grew darker, it became very cold as well!

But thanks to all the other peregrinos staying here tonight, 8 others in total, we had an agreement that I can sleep downstairs with Fuji! Amazing….. everyone happened to like dogs and Fuji is such a friendly dog who would sleep on my lap and not bothered anyone…..

What’s even more amazing is that after walking almost 30km, one of the pilgrims walked back to the previous village in Campiello to buy food and wine to cook in the private albergue next door, and we all gathered under the horreos, enjoying pasta made by @Richard of York and wine.

Thank you everyone for being so nice to Fuji and I!!! 😍😍😍😍😍🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶

PS: for those who wonder about the municipal albergue in Borres…. Yes, it’s basic, but it’s very comfy. There are 2 showers with good power and hot water. For kitchen there’s only a microwave. It’s about 600m from the bar and the other albergue, via either a muddy footpath or highway road. At first I felt it was quite isolated, but the spirit and camaraderie of all the pilgrims totally made it such an amazing night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
View attachment 134278View attachment 134279Hi guys,

So, I have been dreading the stage coming into Borres, because travelling with Fuji, the only place that accepts a dog is the municipal albergue in Borres. The nearest places before was 28-30km before (in La Espina, Bodenaya, and Fontenonaya) and 30km after in La Mesa.

I was worried about not getting a bed at the municipal because it can’t be reserved, so we started early and arrived at 12pm, and was the first one to arrive (by a few hours).

Then I found out that while humans can sleep in the bedroom downstairs, it’s warm, it has mosquito net to keep insects away, and for colder nights there is an electric heater…. For the dog, we sleep “outside” in the upstairs porch. Basically the building is over 2 floors with the stairs outside in the terrace. So even though there is a roof, but there is no wall… the door to get inside the building upstairs is locked. We were given a bunk bed and a blanket, there is a light bulb but no power socket. To be honest, I wanted to cry because it looked like a prison. It was full of flies and mosquitos that I couldn’t even lie still, and the flies were bothering Fuji too and she tried to catch/bite the flies. As it grew darker, it became very cold as well!

But thanks to all the other peregrinos staying here tonight, 8 others in total, we had an agreement that I can sleep downstairs with Fuji! Amazing….. everyone happened to like dogs and Fuji is such a friendly dog who would sleep on my lap and not bothered anyone…..

What’s even more amazing is that after walking almost 30km, one of the pilgrims walked back to the previous village in Campiello to buy food and wine to cook in the private albergue next door, and we all gathered under the horreos, enjoying pasta made by @Richard of York and wine.

Thank you everyone for being so nice to Fuji and I!!! 😍😍😍😍😍🐶🐶🐶🐶🐶

PS: for those who wonder about the municipal albergue in Borres…. Yes, it’s basic, but it’s very comfy. There are 2 showers with good power and hot water. For kitchen there’s only a microwave. It’s about 600m from the bar and the other albergue, via either a muddy footpath or highway road. At first I felt it was quite isolated, but the spirit and camaraderie of all the pilgrims totally made it such an amazing night.
Glad it worked out for you both in the end!
I had fun walking back to the albergue in Samblismo in the dark from that bar!
The bar owner thought I was nuts!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This reminded me of my night at Borres - on a mattress on the floor tucked under a bunk! One of my children was on a mattress on the floor by the toilets - and we were all delighted to be there and not be turned away due to lack of beds! Having walked from Bodenaya, I didn't really want to push my 8 year old daughter any farther, although she was happy to go on if we needed to. The lovely hospitalera in the bar told us not to pay because we wouldn't have beds (of course we ignored her!!), and then she gave two of the kids enormous chocolate bars later. A lovely Dutch gentleman made sure the door was locked once everyone had gone to bed so that my daughter would be safe. We felt so cared for....in a place that had a string of bad reviews online!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Everyone on this Camino has been super nice to Fuji! The next night at La Mesa, Albergue Miguelin, we were put up in the horreo, where inside there are 2 bunk beds and 1 single with spare mattress tucked underneath (so max 6 people occupancy). Everyone in the horreo was very kind to Fuji too…

At Grandas de Salime, we also stay in a private albergue, this time we got a very nice private room, but later we saw a mother-daughter pilgrim combo arriving with their tiny terrier! They would be staying in the dorm…

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.