• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Amazon rain forest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bristle Boy

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Another day and another catastrophe.
My lungs are burning. Not from walking or running but from the fires raging in the Brazilian, Amazonian rain forest.
I am no exponent of globalisation but sometimes a potential catastrophe needs to be met by a global response. Like every aerobic organism I like to breathe!
Isn’t it time to realise that when faced with an “accident” of catastrophic proportions we need to “hit the brakes...hard”.
Might I suggest the ultimate crowd funding exercise and the rain forest is purchased from the government and people’s of Brazil by the people of this world.....
protected globally for the indigenous people, animals,plantlife and minerals that
exist there.
It’s about time there was a radical rethink of the mess we are making and a need to protect this world.
We are not the owners....merely the custodians.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I understand your concern and I wholeheartedly agree in the need to focus on protecting the world that we share, but I am not sure that purchasing the rain forest will prevent forest fires or that this would be the right solution in the first place. It is true that some wildfires are accidentally started by people when clearing land for agriculture, by carelessness, etc., but many are started ’naturally’ primarily by strike of lightning and forest fires have always been a natural part of the cycle of nature, fertilizing and renewing the forests and landscapes. As we are slowly starting to realize, we should be careful before we begin to intervene with nature. There are indications though that forest fires are getting more frequent and larger in recent time due to climate changes so maybe this is where we need to focus –much more than we do. This, of course, will also need a global response and that, alas, seems to be the greatest obstacle, as always…

(In addition, for other reasons, I have mixed feelings about the thought of purchasing another country 🙂 )

I understand your concern and I wholeheartedly agree in the need to focus on protecting the world that we share, but I am not sure that purchasing the rain forest will prevent forest fires or that this would be the right solution in the first place. It is true that some wildfires are accidentally started by people when clearing land for agriculture, by carelessness, etc., but many are started ’naturally’ primarily by strike of lightning and forest fires have always been a natural part of the cycle of nature, fertilizing and renewing the forests and landscapes. As we are slowly starting to realize, we should be careful before we begin to intervene with nature. There are indications though that forest fires are getting more frequent and larger in recent time due to climate changes so maybe this is where we need to focus –much more than we do. This, of course, will also need a global response and that, alas, seems to be the greatest obstacle, as always…

(In addition, for other reasons, I have mixed feelings about the thought of purchasing another country 🙂 )
Hi Turgs,
I have absolutely no intention of interfering with nature...quite the opposite. I am suggesting interfering with the stupidity of mankind.
Apparently, the Amazonian rainforest provides 20% of the worlds oxygen. I don’t know how much that equates to mankind ( I am no mathematician) but it’s a lot.
My suggestion is this.
It is such a vital resource that it should not be just left to Brazil to fight the fires (natural or otherwise)...it should be shared.
Secondly, an area the size of a football pitch is lost by Man’s destruction every minute. How do you stop this?
Firstly, you could stop the demand or you could make Brazil and the loggers an offer.
How much does it take you to stop and take the responsibility away from you...after all..Brazilians breathe.
My suggestion is to make it s global “ownership” and responsibility. It is that important.
Logging and deforestation is done for the benefit of the Brazilian economy, be it agriculture or logging.
How much do I value the air that I breathe? How much do I value the carbon monoxide removal that the forest provides? How much do I value the habitat of all that live there?
There are alternatives..they just have to be found and quickly.
I was glad that President Macron put the crisis at the top of the agenda for the G7.
Crowd funding worked for Norte Dame....

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Turgs,
I have absolutely no intention of interfering with nature...quite the opposite. I am suggesting interfering with the stupidity of mankind.
Apparently, the Amazonian rainforest provides 20% of the worlds oxygen. I don’t know how much that equates to mankind ( I am no mathematician) but it’s a lot.
My suggestion is this.
It is such a vital resource that it should not be just left to Brazil to fight the fires (natural or otherwise)...it should be shared.
Secondly, an area the size of a football pitch is lost by Man’s destruction every minute. How do you stop this?
Firstly, you could stop the demand or you could make Brazil and the loggers an offer.
How much does it take you to stop and take the responsibility away from you...after all..Brazilians breathe.
My suggestion is to make it s global “ownership” and responsibility. It is that important.
Logging and deforestation is done for the benefit of the Brazilian economy, be it agriculture or logging.
How much do I value the air that I breathe? How much do I value the carbon monoxide removal that the forest provides? How much do I value the habitat of all that live there?
There are alternatives..they just have to be found and quickly.
I was glad that President Macron put the crisis at the top of the agenda for the G7.
Crowd funding worked for Norte Dame....
Bristle boy, I do understand your suggestion. Your energy, your anger, your hope. I support that you are calling us to be alert and active. Thanks for the wake up call. No, we can’t buy what is not ours. We can be alert though, and once more, just thanks for your reminder, and a call to try to find our way in this current world of greed and profit at whatever cost.

Bristle boy, I do understand your suggestion. Your energy, your anger, your hope. I support that you are calling us to be alert and active. Thanks for the wake up call. No, we can’t buy what is not ours. We can be alert though, and once more, just thanks for your reminder, and a call to try to find our way in this current world of greed and profit at whatever cost.
Kirkie...you treasure,
I was not offering to buy the rain forest. I was just looking at what makes people clear the forest and destroy. It is people making a living, an income from their activities.
How do you make it stop. It should be protected and by a shared responsibility.
If I donated what do I want and get in return..
Nothing! I already get it!
There are things you cannot put a price on but one thing is for sure...it needs a solution.

There are things you cannot put a price on but one thing is for sure...it needs a solution.

As I said, I agree in what I believe is your main concern: That it is high time to turn things around in order to preserve the conditions for all living creatures in this beautiful world of ours. All I say is that perhaps we should consider the issues from a different angle.

Until we change our basic thinking (and acting), all good initiatives will only be ‘patching’ and not lasting solutions (because some will disagree and counteract, if for nothing else then for ‘commercial reasons’). That is not to say that we should not try, that we should not do whatever is possible, but that we also need to consider things in a wider perspective.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am not really sure about what to say, but here goes:
I have just read that Notre Dame may have been weakened by the recent heatwave.. This leads me to ask: what might we learn from this disaster? We have a call to care for the earth, for our patrimony, for each other. Of course, and I do not mean to diminish the tragedy, it is a blot on the canvas of world endeavour, it is more than sad that the fire happened. How much more the tragedy of our failure to protect the breathing patrimony of this poor world of ours? I ask, and accuse myself, in my ignorance, what am I doing to give life to those who also live in my world? Thanks, Bristle Boy, and Turga, for taking on this conversation. Every little word contributes to a change of heart, of understanding.

I find these posts all very interesting to read, yet can not add my own two cents. I've studied nothing about this global problem, but I do appreciate the opinions and passion you all have.
As I've said recently in another thread..."There are those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who don't know anything is happening at all." I am just starting to "watch" at the moment and those who "make" usually start out with a pipe dream...Bristle Boy is drawing awareness to the issue; possibly the reason for his thread.

not just oxygen .... animals and indigenous people ... we can help put out fires, but it would probably be a long-term and more effective to start with yourself - consumption is what causes Brazilian entrepreneurs to deforestate. As long as they can sell what is profitable to them, they will be deforestation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
not just oxygen .... animals and indigenous people ... we can help put out fires, but it would probably be a long-term and more effective to start with yourself - consumption is what causes Brazilian entrepreneurs to deforestate. As long as they can sell what is profitable to them, they will be deforestation.
Quite right. If there was no demand alternative methods of income would need to be sought. It is complicated....but a solution needs to be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back