• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

American debit card in European ATM?

LynneR

Time of past OR future Camino
CF '16, '18
Is this possible? Every time I have traveled internationally I've relied on euros and credit card. I will be on the Camino for about a month and do not want to carry that much cash if I don't have to. I have never tried to use my American debit card (Master Card) oversees because I assumed I could not.

Does anyone have suggestions or, better yet, experience with this? I appreciate your help!
Lynne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is this possible? Every time I have traveled internationally I've relied on euros and credit card. I will be on the Camino for about a month and do not want to carry that much cash if I don't have to. I have never tried to use my American debit card (Master Card) oversees because I assumed I could not.

Does anyone have suggestions or, better yet, experience with this? I appreciate your help!
Lynne
I use my American debit card all over the world. I have a Charles Schwab account, and they refund all my ATM fees. Do make sure to notify the bank that you will be using your card abroad.

It's not only possible, it's no problem at all. Just be sure to let your bank know you are going abroad. Probably a good idea to ask about your daily withdrawal limit (just for information), and then use any ATM in Europe just like you would at home. (My in-laws for some reason had a low withdrawal limit so it was a hassle for them when they could only get $200 out when I could get $400 at a time as we traveled in Spain)

Search on this board for LOTS of conversations and tips about using ATMs (cajero automatico in Spanish). Buen camino to you!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I also use Charles Schwab, an online bank with few brick/mortar offices, for my international travel because they refund ALL ATM fees, as well as exchange fees. You can apply online. The card works fine, as does any ATM card with a 4-digit pin. Just be sure to notify your bank of your travel plans so they don't put a hold on the account when you try to use it in Spain.

No problem with either debit card I used, BofA and another, a back up is a good idea. Used them for years. Notify your bank(s) about your travel itinerary and you may want to increase your daily limit. Buen Camino.

There are the very occasional ATMs that will not work...but not because your card is from the U.S.
Some are locked into a small closed group of cards/users and are not available to anyone except their own group. These are an exception and are slowly disappearing. Don't get stressed if you run into one.

This might be a good place to remind folks that you may be asked if you want to be charged in U.S. Dollars or in Euros. Always opt to be charged in euros. You will get euros either way..but the dispensing bank will charge a much higher exchange rate. There is no advantage to you...only to the bank.

You may also run into this option when using your credit card in various places (all through Europe). The same advice applies. Always decline the U.S. dollar charge as it will not be to your advantage. Simple advice to remember....always go for the euro option.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I set up a separate checking account solely for the purpose of travel. It is linked to my primary account so that I can fund the travel account as needed, but it also keeps my primary account safe from direct hacking. I do carry my primary account debit card, as well as my travel debit card, as a backup in case something happens to the travel card. I also carry a credit card for expensive direct purchases if needed and if a CC is accepted for payment, and for the potential of needing to do something like purchase a plane ticket or have medical treatment.

Currently, I just opened a Charles Schwab account as my travel account -- it's free, pays a bit of interest on balances in the account, reimburses transaction fees on ATMs, and has no foreign currency conversion fees. I did have a Bank of America account, but have closed it because it charges all the fees that Schwab doesn't.

I only use the debit card for my travel account for cash withdrawals of Euros at ATMs. Credit cards tend to treat these types of transactions as 'cash advances' and can incur a fee as well as a higher interest rate on the balance.

Lynne
I’ve used my American debit card all over the world. I just got back from Ethiopia and it worked fine there. I also used it in the CF with no trouble. Just make sure to call your bank and notify them of your travel plans.

I also use Charles Schwab, an online bank with few brick/mortar offices, for my international travel because they refund ALL ATM fees, as well as exchange fees.
Well, they don't refund someone else's (high) exchange fees, but if they do the exchanging, there is no exchange fee.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
More thoughts about ATMs.
1. As said before, not all ATMs are equal. I found one bank which would not accept my ATM. Santandar seemed to work best for me
2. Unless it has changed, be sure your ATM has a four digit PIN. ATMs in Europe do NOT accept 6 digit PINS
3. Only use ATMs that are enclosed in building walls. Do NOT use free standing ATMs
4. Be sure the bank is open when you use an ATM, I used an ATM at 2000 and it ate my card. Don't know why. Fortunately, we were planning to stay in town the next morning and I was able to get my card back. But it was not easy. Also, if the bank is open, then you can go inside and get change for that 50 Euro note.
5. I carry two ATM cards( and 2 credit cards). Just in case one gets eaten or compromised.
6. And don't use ATMs in the airport. I forget the specifics, but they charge a higher fee or a bad exchange rate..

Buen Camino Bob

And don't use ATMs in the airport. I forget the specifics, but they charge a higher fee or a bad exchange rate..
Not true. The bank ATMs at the airport give the same rate as their ATMs outside the airport. What you do want to avoid are the currency exchange booths at the airport, and I believe that some of those same currency exchange companies like Travelex have ATM type machines that you should also avoid.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is a simple five-step process:

1. Make sure your debit or credit card has an IC chip in it, European ATMs expect to encounter a chip and some behave badly when there is no chip.

2. Make sure your four-digit NUMERIC PIN works while in the US. Only four-digit PINs work in EU ATMs...

3. Make sure your bank or credit union knows what dates you will be in what country, so the card(s) will work there. If you fail to do this, fraud prevention computer programs prevent use in foreign countries. I notify about one week in advance of my planned departure.

I did this and was even able to make purchases on Amazon.es, for delivery in Spain, using my US Prime account. Of course, I had to set up a new delivery address. But, it only worked because the bank knew I was in Spain. I could not make the purchase on the Spanish site, from the US, for delivery in Spain.

4. Make sure you have enough funds on hand to cover your ATM withdrawals, factoring in the exchange rate, and any "convenience fees" you might be charged at the ATM. I have been charged a €3 fee for using my Visa Debit card in Spain. But, my credit union refunds these non-native ATM fees, up to four monthly.

5. Relax and enjoy your Camino...

Last edited:
If I buy something in Spain and there are change fees they have reimbursed me.
Schwab has always reimbursed me for "ATM fees" but the few times a store ripped me off by letting their bank do the conversion, I was not reimbursed for the sneaky inflated exchange rate. Then again, that's technically not a "fee." But also, I've had receipts that added a two percent (or more) "commission" and Schwab has never reimbursed those. One time I was especially angry when an ATM warned me about a fee of €2,50 which I agreed to knowing that Schwab would reimburse it, and then the receipt showed an additional €14,00 "commission" that had not been previously disclosed. And Schwab did not reimburse that, but they did reimburse the fee of €2,50.

SO, I recommend you contact Schwab and get them to tell ytou what they will and won't reimburse.

Schwab has always reimbursed me for "ATM fees" but the few times a store ripped me off by letting their bank do the conversion, I was not reimbursed for the sneaky inflated exchange rate. Then again, that's technically not a "fee." But also, I've had receipts that added a two percent (or more) "commission" and Schwab has never reimbursed those. One time I was especially angry when an ATM warned me about a fee of €2,50 which I agreed to knowing that Schwab would reimburse it, and then the receipt showed an additional €14,00 "commission" that had not been previously disclosed. And Schwab did not reimburse that, but they did reimburse the fee of €2,50.

SO, I recommend you contact Schwab and get them to tell ytou what they will and won't reimburse.

All I know is that I've been using the card nearly every year on the Camino since 2004 and all over Western Europe since long before, and haven't had a problem.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Schwab is simply a debit card tied to your Schwab checking account. They refund any fees charged by the dispensing ATM bank and Schwab does not charge any fees.

That said.....Schwab does not extend the fee refund to merchant transactions if you use the card for payment in hotels or stores. You will have to exercise the same level of alertness for those transactions. The fee reimbursement applies to ATM use only.

I also have used Schwab for many years in Europe with no problems. An outstanding service.

I use my American debit card all over the world. I have a Charles Schwab account, and they refund all my ATM fees. Do make sure to notify the bank that you will be using your card abroad.
Totally agree that the Charles Schwab debit card is the one to use. I just finished day 14 on the camino and have used it frequently.

Sometimes I had to try a few ATMs in one town to find one that worked for me. The app, MapsMe, helped me find them. Download the city map while you’re in WiFi BEFORE you need it.

Everyone else seems to have covered this topic pretty thoroughly, so I’ll just add that the back of your card should tell you if your card is linked to Cirrus or PLUS or one of the other international ATM networks. Likewise, ATM’s usually have the logos of those same networks on the front to indicate which cards are accepted.

1. Make sure your debit or credit card has an IC chip in it, European ATMs expect to encounter a chip and some behave badly when there is no chip.

None of my cards had a chip prior to 2018, and they always worked in ATMs in dozens of countries, including all from Barcelona to Santiago and from Madrid to Logroño. Only place it didn't work was an ATM in China that demanded a six-digit PIN, but the same card worked to buy food there.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back