A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

American Pilgrim dies on Camino

Santiago Photo Book

Bob from L.A. !

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
I just came across a news report of an American Pilgrim named James William Siedlecki, 63 of South Hampton New York passing away while on his 3rd Camino.
The news story went on to say he was walking with his 24 year old son when he died near Pamplona on May 3, 2019. The news story was minimal in it's further detail, but did provide that he was married, that he was a Navy veteran and that he, his wife and son were an inseparable trio in life.

RIP Pilgrim !

jerbear

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de madrid, camino francis, camino inverino (2012, 2013,2014)
CdM, Francis, San salvador, primativo june 2015 CDM , francis, inverino 2016
Camino madrid, via de Plata. Santiago.
Coast of the dead malpica to muxia
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
I just came across a news report of an American Pilgrim named James William Siedlecki, 63 of South Hampton New York passing away while on his 3rd Camino.
The news story went on to say he was walking with his 24 year old son when he died near Pamplona on May 3, 2019. The news story was minimal in it's further detail, but did provide that he was married, that he was a Navy veteran and that he, his wife and son were an inseparable trio in life.

RIP Pilgrim !
Thanks for posting, letting us all offer sympathy to the family. RIP.

Paul McAmino

Blue Ridge
Camino(s) past & future
2012 SJPP-Burgos, 2014 Burgos-Leon, 2018 Leon-Santiago
So sad to hear this on a day when I asked for blessing on a young man’s first Camino as he waited for his flight to Madrid.
I feel for the family, sharing the joy and hope of new beginnings and the grief of a life cut short.
Holding them both in my thoughts this beautiful day in May.
Buen Camino, pilgrims. Buen Camino.

lynn

C.F. '07, '09, '18'. Not All Who Wander Are Lost.
Camino(s) past & future
C.F.: July '07, July '09, Sept. '18.
How sad. I'm glad his son was with him. My condolences to his family.

Bob from L.A. !

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
Based on the location, description and date, it just might be. Thanks

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
May Santiago soothe his son.

I can’t imagine what that young man is going through.

RIP pilgrim and his family.

👣😪

SCT

Camino(s) past & future
Porto to Santiago 2014
Camino Frances 2016, 2017
(Astorga to SDC 2019)
Prayers for his family...

Domidom

Camino(s) past & future
Camino frances, 2
camino del Salvador
Camino del Norte
Camino Primitivo
Camino de la Plata
Etc...

RIP Pilgrim !
Buen camino in afterlife!

rowdygirl

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portugues (2019)

RIP Pilgrim !
RIP

Bala

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
May he rest in peace. 🙏

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
I'm always very sad to hear such news.

But I also always remember a video footage/interview with out deceased forum member @Sagalouts in which (one evening in a bar on the Camino) he was talking to an American young woman about his urge to walk so many Caminos. And he said in that video that he would gladly die right that moment while on the Camino. He died that same night. Caminos are so important part of my life and personality that I kind of envy people which die while walking the Camino. Maybe a bit heretic but I really feel it this way.

Buen Camino peregrino!

Deepest condolences to family and friends.

Thomas V

Camino(s) past & future
FRANCES, St. Jean to Santiago, 2016
Camino Frances #2 Pamplona to Leon 2017
My condolences to the family.

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
RIP. A gentle reminder to live each day as our last, do what fills us with joy and tell others how much we love them. God bless James and all the pilgrims walking today, tomorrow and always.

Roy Howard

Camino(s) past & future
I walked Camino Frances in 2015 and plan to walk Camino Primitivo in 2017

RIP Pilgrim !
So sorry. Condolences to his family. When I walked in 2015 a man died on the way toward Orrison. A few days later, his wife, heartbroken, continued to walk her camino with the companions who had come with her and her husband.

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014 & 2015 ),Via San Francesco, Italy (2017 )Camino Portugese (2018 )Camino Ingles(
Walk to God, Dear Pilgrim...Walk to God
May He comfort the family in this trying time, bringing peace when the heartbreak passes .

Leandra

Leandra
Camino(s) past & future
French Way, starting on may 21st 2019

RIP Pilgrim !
I’m so sorry!! RIP

andralynn

Camino(s) past & future
I am leaving for Barcelona May 20th, 2019 and will begin my Camino in San Sebastian May 27th, 2019
I was happy and sad to hear that his son was with him. Happy they
Were together and sad that his son had to go through this
So far from home. How many of us actually get to graduate from this life
while doing what we love with someone we love. PaPa God stay close to this family through their grief and beyond.

MichelleElynHogan

Veteran Member

RIP Pilgrim !
Thoughts and Prayers for the Family.

For me, dying on the Camino would be a good, honourable way to go. We all find the end of our journey, in time.

Coachtolife

Camino(s) past & future
Portugues in September

RIP Pilgrim !
My sympathy goes out to him family. I can’t imagine how that was for his young son 😢. Praying for strength for them all.

FamPed

Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
There are many different Pilgrim Routes and Caminos in life.
RIP pilgrim. My condolences to family and friends. 🕯

Tony Bobcat

Camino(s) past & future
May 2017

RIP Pilgrim !
Sad to hear the news , may he Rest In Peace

longwalker60

Camino(s) past & future
09/2018

RIP Pilgrim !
so sad, in my prayers. God Bless.

Bob from L.A. !

Camino(s) past & future
I've said this before.............I couldn't think of a better place to die when my number comes up in the cue !

Thomas@Albany

Camino(s) past & future
First Part Oct. 5 2018 (StJ)-Oct. 19 (Boadillo); 2nd Part May 5 (Boadilla) to May 26, 2019.
May he rest in peace. I came across several memorial crosses/stones along the way, and reflected on the ephemeral nature of our lives.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 44 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 268 24.5%