• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD American travelers dodge the EU travel ban—for now!

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeranimo

Time of past OR future Camino
"The European Union decided not to reinstate restrictions on non-essential travel from the U.S. despite new Covid-19 cases there exceeding the bloc’s threshold." For those that are traveling to France and Spain, this is good news for now!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The European Union is not very happy that invited the Americans to visit Europe almost 2 months ago, but the USA have not returned the favor - EU citizens still can't visit the USA (not sure about Canada).

So the present game is to convince US authorities to let the European visitors in, much more than stop Americans from coming to Europe, which wouldn't be good for the economy. But if USA won't change their policy soon, there is a potential chance that at the end of August the United States (possibly Canada as well) can be removed from the list of 'safe countries'.

That doesn't automatically mean that Spain will ban Americans from coming. It is only recommendation from Brussels for the EU countries, not a binding law.

But if I were an American planning to come to walk the Camino in Spain in September, I would probably try to choose a flight directly to Spain, rather than transiting France, just to cut the risk of any possible problems by half (one EU country instead of two)

But let's hope for the best 🙏 There's good chance that USA soon let the vaccinated Europeans in, and this transatlantic tug of war will have a happy ending 🍸🍾:)

FYI - Canadian borders open for international non-essential travel starting September 7 for fully vaccinated travelers. These bulletins are always subject to change of course - see link below.

Canada opened its borders to fully vaccinated US Citizens August 9 and the US has not reciprocated yet.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
FYI - Canadian borders open for international non-essential travel starting September 7 for fully vaccinated travelers. These bulletins are always subject to change of course - see link below.

Canada opened its borders to fully vaccinated US Citizens August 9 and the US has not reciprocated yet.

Canadian citizens are also under a travel advisory making difficult to get insurance and direct flights. Our vaccine roll out has surpassed most, if not all other countries and our positive case numbers are no where near what they are in the U.S.

SGood for you, my American friends. Looking forward to seeing some of you very soon on the Camino. 😀
We are headed over from US tomorrow - the US Embassy says we do not need vaccine or negative covid test to get in. Anyone have any info on when you arrive in Spain what the protocol is? I know you need the Health QR code - anything else? And then we need to find a place to get a covid test for return trip? Any help would be great

Sue

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We are headed over from US tomorrow - the US Embassy says we do not need vaccine or negative covid test to get in. Anyone have any info on when you arrive in Spain what the protocol is? I know you need the Health QR code - anything else? And then we need to find a place to get a covid test for return trip? Any help would be great

Sue
I just returned from Barcelona (sort of a small consolation for cancelling my May-July CF)
48 hours prior to arriving to Spain I filled out required forms at Spanish Health Center for both my wife and I (both fully vaccinated) and received QR codes
You can store them on the phone or print out
After deplaning at BCN they asked for QRs even before passport control and that was that 👍
Did some homework even before leaving on the trip and zeroed in on a given lab not far away from our hotel with only 40.00 Euro charge for Antigen test
Went there bright and early morning the day before departure back home and was done probably within 45 minutes or so. Again you can save the results on the phone or ask for printed copy (takes extra 30 minutes)
We opted for latter, checked out a nearby free museum and came back to get the papers
Had to scan them into United Airlines app in order to get the boarding passes and still had to show them couple more times at the airport but at the end that was that as well
Granted this is Barcelona after all and not, say, Finisterre but in a nutshell those are jumping through the hoops steps
Of course no idea what tomorrow may bring....

The European Union is not very happy that invited the Americans to visit Europe almost 2 months ago, but the USA have not returned the favor - EU citizens still can't visit the USA (not sure about Canada).

So the present game is to convince US authorities to let the European visitors in, much more than stop Americans from coming to Europe, which wouldn't be good for the economy. But if USA won't change their policy soon, there is a potential chance that at the end of August the United States (possibly Canada as well) can be removed from the list of 'safe countries'.

That doesn't automatically mean that Spain will ban Americans from coming. It is only recommendation from Brussels for the EU countries, not a binding law.

But if I were an American planning to come to walk the Camino in Spain in September, I would probably try to choose a flight directly to Spain, rather than transiting France, just to cut the risk of any possible problems by half (one EU country instead of two)

But let's hope for the best 🙏 There's good chance that USA soon let the vaccinated Europeans in, and this transatlantic tug of war will have a happy ending 🍸🍾:)
Canada opened its border, but USA has not opened land border.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back