A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Amis et Pelerins de St Jacques de la voie de Vezelay Route

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
2020 Camino Guides
D

Deleted member 3000

This is a Google map of the stages for the Northern Route from the Amis guide in French. Actually, it starts at the train station in Sermizelles on the chance that I may start walking there.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... bc&t=h&z=6

It is not the same as the GR-654 or Peter Robins' (Southern Route) map. But it is close. The guide has excellent maps and accommodation lists. I suspect that the exact route has been mapped to take me to the top of hills for scenic views. The maps are good enough, though, that I will have the option to stick to the valleys!

If internet connections permit, I will try to provide some updated information as I walk. Otherwise, I will post something after I return and gather my notes.

jl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
Hi Falcon, the Amis guide does not take you on a scenic tour (to the highest point so that you can admire the view) as a general rule. I studied both the Topo guide and the Amis guide before leaving last year and decided that the Topo guide does do that, whereas the Amis guide takes you more or less straight to the village but at the same time digressing in order that you don't have to walk on too many major roads. Yes, there are some place where you go over the hills, but that is because your'e crossing over them rather than going up them to admire the scenery.

By the same token - there is quite some road walking on this path compared to the Le Puy path. Hopefully the paths are cleared for you in the Llandes. If not you will have an awful stretch of highway walking for about 7 kms.

Bon courage, Janet

D

Deleted member 3000

On day 18, but Internet is rare, so I will add information when I return. In general, there is a lack of options. Yesterday in Flavignac we stayed in a hut at a campground with only a hot plate. The gite was full. The price was 20E. Today in Chalus we are in the excellent Hotel de Centre with WiFi and breakfast for 46E.

Bridget and Peter

Camino(s) past & future
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
Hi Falcon

Glad to hear from you - have wondered from time to time how you are doing on Voie de Vezelay. You seem to be making good time, 18 days to Flavignac. Did you meet Dr Conquet in Benevent L'Abbaye?

What did you make of the strange creature on the exterior wall of the church in Flavignac?

God bless
Bridget

D

Deleted member 3000

In Flavignac, the Gallo-Roman stone was strange. The trésor was very impressive. The rain detract from visiting both, and the complet at the gite was its usual downer!

We are in Perigueux now. It has rained only one day since Flavignac. The Hotel de la Gare by the train station has been nicely remodeled, so is better than its location might hint. The cathedral is closed for two days for the making of a movie. It is one of three World Heritage churches of its type -- the others are in Paris and Istanbul -- and a major religious icon on the Pilgrimage to Compostela through France. Five hundred kilometers to get here, and it is closed to pilgrims. There is some irony there, once I find it. To anyone locked out because of the Sheen film in Spain, my condolences. I know how you must have felt...

I have sworn off films for the moment, but probably will relent when I get home and my pique has diminished!

Our stop in Sorges, the self-declared truffe capital of France, was very nice. We were greeted by three volunteers for check-in. The gite had beds for five -- two bunks and one bed -- and there were six of us, so a mattress was brought out. The two new pilgrims we met at Sorges raised the total we have met to about 12.

The Truffle Museum was closing after we checked in, so we ate the Pilgrim menu at a hotel that offered a 100 Euro menu with most courses including the truffe. We are not buying too many 100 Euro meals, I must confess, but it was tempting. The pilgrim offering at 17 Euro was superb -- rabbit terrine, veal stew, and a dessert you had to see with its warm chocolate sauce (and wine, bread, and coffee).

In general, the walking is not demanding. The paving is becoming tiresome, but the forest and fields are very pretty. It is rolling terrain, and the path in both forest and on road is thick this time of year with acorns and chestnuts. We saw one sign prohibiting the hunting of mushrooms. After all, it is truffle country. there is the occasional sound of gunfire -- it is hunting season.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 188 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 310 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 89 7.1%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 355 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 150 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock