• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An Alternative Starting Point to St Jean

Time of past OR future Camino
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
A week or so back (I can't find it) there was a discussion about whether St Jean was the only starting point for the Camino Frances. Yesterday I received the bi-monthly update from Cierone - detailing a number of walking trails across the UK and Continental Europe. Included was one about the Camino Aragon - yes the one that includes crossing the Somport Pass. Here is a link if anyone is interested, or wants some background information.

http://www.cicerone-extra.com/trekking-the-camino-aragon
Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have done the walk from Toulouse (Via Tolosana) to Puente la Reina twice. It is a great walk. I diverted down to Lourdes on one walk and rejoined the Tolosana/Aragones at Oloron-Ste. Marie. I highly recommend it.

@falcon269
I am looking forward to walking the route from Oloron Ste Marie through the Aragones to Puenta la Reina and on to Santiago de Compostella, starting on September 15.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Saint Mike II
Very interesting and some lovely photos.
I walked from Lourdes some years back and carried on past Oloron Ste Marie to SJPP. It is a fabulous walk, especially if you like a bit of 'peace and quiet' - only five others walking in September. I would love to go back and take the left turn at Oloron Ste Marie, which brings you on to the Frances very near Eunate which has my favourite albergue of all, though I see here in the past few days confirmation that it has definitely closed. Fascinating church too. A huge loss.

@Saint Mike II - thanks for sharing. My husband and I are planning a March camino starting on the French border but as the Napoleon route will be closed/not recommended until April 1st we were looking for alternatives. I forgot about the Somport pass but luckily I have the info in my Rother guide so we are now looking at that. Not the same mountain vistas but the river walk looks lovely! Then at Obanos we will probably get a taxi to Pamplona, stay there a day and then carry on along the CF.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A week or so back (I can't find it) there was a discussion about whether St Jean was the only starting point for the Camino Frances. Yesterday I received the bi-monthly update from Cierone - detailing a number of walking trails across the UK and Continental Europe. Included was one about the Camino Aragon - yes the one that includes crossing the Somport Pass. Here is a link if anyone is interested, or wants some background information.

http://www.cicerone-extra.com/trekking-the-camino-aragon
Cheers
There is also an excellent video ' Six Ways To The Camino'.

Not the same mountain vistas
@nidarosa
I am not sure what you mean by this. Google Vallee d'Aspe for some incredible photos or try this link: http://www.tourisme-aspe.com/index.php I believe that that Somport Pass is higher than the Route Napoleon. In the winter, it is a popular ski area, reached by a lengthy road tunnel. I do not know whether the GR653 route over the Pyrenees for walkers is open or usable in winter. There is a bus up the valley. I would hesitate to walk the Camino Aragones in winter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I believe that that Somport Pass is higher than the Route Napoleon. In the winter, it is a popular ski area, reached by a lengthy road tunnel. I do not know whether the GR653 route over the Pyrenees for walkers is open or usable in winter.
It is higher, and the climb is continuous. Somport is 1,632 m and Loepedor is 1,441 m elevation. The road N-33A is kept open by snowplows in the winter, but that does not leave much of a shoulder. In the winter you can take the bus to Estacion Canfranc and walk the road to Somport once it is plowed. Again, the shoulder is not great, but it is wider than on the French side. I agree; it is not worth the risk in winter.

... Then at Obanos we will probably get a taxi to Pamplona, stay there a day and then carry on along the CF.

Curious mind wants to know - Why do you want to take the taxi backwards and not simply walk from Obanos to Puente la Reina and onwards? Buen Camino, SY

@Albertagirl @SYates Sorry, we haven't started doing any real research yet and what I should have said is that at that time of year we will start after the pass (if I understood it correctly when I did a quick scan last night and watched some videos and blogs) and walk along the river. I haven't got the Rother guide here now but it gives downward slopes and flats until Obanos. Also going backwards because husband wants to have a day in Pamplona :) I clearly have research to do but that's half the fun!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@Saint Mike II - thanks for sharing. My husband and I are planning a March camino starting on the French border but as the Napoleon route will be closed/not recommended until April 1st we were looking for alternatives. I forgot about the Somport pass but luckily I have the info in my Rother guide so we are now looking at that. Not the same mountain vistas but the river walk looks lovely! Then at Obanos we will probably get a taxi to Pamplona, stay there a day and then carry on along the CF.

The Camino del Baztan is worth considering too - and I understand that the albergues are open all year round. 4-6 days walking from Bayonne to Pamplona. You will probably have the albergues to yourselves at that time of year!

@NualaOC Thanks, that is definitely worth considering. My husband would like to see and walk the places I did but at that time of the year we will have to be flexible. As long as we get to Burgos within three slow weeks all is well.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hola - Given that this route is around 200 metres higher than the Napoleon Route - I suggest that it is quite likely to be snow bound even in late May. Maybe do some weather research (snow depth etc) before making firm plans. Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Saint Mike II Will do! We will weigh up our options as to what is safe and doable, I was just excited to be reminded of a different route into Spain knowing that the Napoleon route will be closed at that time (we start mid March). We are hoping to start near the border somehow but if the weather is bad we wait or move into lower ground or start/stay in Pamplona. We will do our research I promise - I am not one for taking chances or going unprepared.

I walked from Oloron to Santiago via the Somport Pass but in Sept 2011. I doubt that the pass will be open/wise to walk in March, but you could email the tourist bureau in Jaca who are very helpful and speak English. There are buses from Jaca that go all the way up to Somport in clear road conditions. The Aragonnes is a beautiful route, quiet but with enough facilities, and the route is well marked although not with the number of arrows as the Frances.

@falcon269
I am looking forward to walking the route from Oloron Ste Marie through the Aragones to Puenta la Reina and on to Santiago de Compostella, starting on September 15.

I walked from Oloron to Santiago via the Somport Pass but in Sept 2011. I doubt that the pass will be open/wise to walk in March, but you could email the tourist bureau in Jaca who are very helpful and speak English. There are buses from Jaca that go all the way up to Somport in clear road conditions. The Aragonnes is a beautiful route, quiet but with enough facilities, and the route is well marked although not with the number of arrows as the Frances.
Thinking for next year...and doing a search to check out the Aragones--particularly the time when it becomes possible in the spring/early summer. And here is a recent thread! Thanks all. I am assuming March is too early. But May?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

It can still snow in May in Somport. It doesn't mean it'll snow though. It just mean it may/might snow. Basically, your question is: How much will snow next year? And, of course, there's no way we can know it now. OTOH, in May is unlikely to snow so much as to not plow the road so, in the worse case, that might be an alternative... if you find it safe enough. Otherwise, take public transport and start from Jaca.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back