• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An angel on the Camino

Sissy010

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting my first October 21 from Leon, Spain.
I thought I’d share with you what I posted on Facebook yesterday. I have some blisters that caused me to stop for a couple of days in Ponferrada. If you want to stay in cleanest hostal with the kindest owner, I highly recommended Hostal San Miguel. Paco the owner, will take great care of you He was my angel during my lowest point. Anyway, here is my story as of yesterday, October 28. As they say, the Camino provides. It certainly did for me. I plan to walk again tomorrow, I hope my feet will be well enough by then.

“What a day I had. I left Molinaseca and walked 7k to Ponferrada. It was more difficult than my 25k through the mountains yesterday. I arrived at Hostal San Miguel around 1:00 PM. The owner, Paco, was across the street in the restaurant he also owns, with the same name, San Miguel. He doesn’t speak English but I’m sure he understood that I was in pain as I limped in to introduce myself. I asked him where the nearest doctor was...with my translation app. I’m sure he noticed the stress on my face and the tears in my eyes. He immediately motioned me into his car and drove me to the emergency and informed the receptionist what I needed. The doctor saw me and examined my blistered feet. He gave me some antibiotics. There is no infection yet but I guess they are at risk, I was told, again through a translation app. I was also told, warned really, not to walk for 2 days and to just care for my feet. The nurses were so kind, treated my feet and were firm in me staying put for 2 days and told me what I needed to do to care for them... all through Google translation. I asked how to pay for the service and they waved the offer and just gave me a big hug. I immediately cried with gratitude. When I finished, the receptionist told me to sit, called Paco who picked me up and took me back to his restaurant. I was so hungry, I hadn’t eaten since yesterday because my feet were so sore...sounds weird but my pain killed my appetite. I had a wonderful meal at Paco’s restaurant and feel so much better. I hugged him and thanked him. I am going to sleep for a while now. They say the Camino provides... it did in abundance today. I will do something very special for Paco. I will make a point of just being kind. I only took a few pics today, including my newly treated feet. I will explore beautiful Ponferrada in my flip flops tomorrow. Grateful doesn’t express enough how I feel.”

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I thought I’d share with you what I posted on Facebook yesterday. I have some blisters that caused me to stop for a couple of days in Ponferrada. If you want to stay in cleanest hostal with the kindest owner, I highly recommended Hostal San Miguel. Paco the owner, will take great care of you He was my angel during my lowest point. Anyway, here is my story as of yesterday, October 28. As they say, the Camino provides. It certainly did for me. I plan to walk again tomorrow, I hope my feet will be well enough by then.

“What a day I had. I left Molinaseca and walked 7k to Ponferrada. It was more difficult than my 25k through the mountains yesterday. I arrived at Hostal San Miguel around 1:00 PM. The owner, Paco, was across the street in the restaurant he also owns, with the same name, San Miguel. He doesn’t speak English but I’m sure he understood that I was in pain as I limped in to introduce myself. I asked him where the nearest doctor was...with my translation app. I’m sure he noticed the stress on my face and the tears in my eyes. He immediately motioned me into his car and drove me to the emergency and informed the receptionist what I needed. The doctor saw me and examined my blistered feet. He gave me some antibiotics. There is no infection yet but I guess they are at risk, I was told, again through a translation app. I was also told, warned really, not to walk for 2 days and to just care for my feet. The nurses were so kind, treated my feet and were firm in me staying put for 2 days and told me what I needed to do to care for them... all through Google translation. I asked how to pay for the service and they waved the offer and just gave me a big hug. I immediately cried with gratitude. When I finished, the receptionist told me to sit, called Paco who picked me up and took me back to his restaurant. I was so hungry, I hadn’t eaten since yesterday because my feet were so sore...sounds weird but my pain killed my appetite. I had a wonderful meal at Paco’s restaurant and feel so much better. I hugged him and thanked him. I am going to sleep for a while now. They say the Camino provides... it did in abundance today. I will do something very special for Paco. I will make a point of just being kind. I only took a few pics today, including my newly treated feet. I will explore beautiful Ponferrada in my flip flops tomorrow. Grateful doesn’t express enough how I feel.”
I feel your pain! I also suffered from blisters last Summer (for the first time after many kms walked!). Take care of those feet, take it easy.
Lovely to hear you were well looked after.
All the best for the rest of the Camino.

Wonderful story, thanks for sharing it. Now is the tough part (at least for me) listen to their advice and follow it completely. Give your feet a chance to heal a little before you put them back to work.

Safe travels, buen camino, and please take care of your feet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola @Sissy010, you have made a very wise decision. A day or two to rest will do wonders for both your feet and your spirits. The castle will be closed today (Monday) but you should be able to explore it Tuesday morning before heading out. I suggest that you have a couple of shorter days Tuesday and Wednesday as your feet re-adjust to the blisters/dressings/ & socks. If you still want a short day after Villafranca del Bierzo I suggest stopping at Casa Susi in Trabadelo (tel 675 242 114 (Eng number) or Esp number 602 616 968. I can thoroughly recommend this new albergue. Just check that it will still be open after 1 Nov. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Saint Mike. I toured the castle yesterday and much of Ponferrada. It’s such a beautiful city. This morning I tried shopping for alternative footwsre but I can’t put a shoe on my left foot. I’m forced to reevaluate and be realistic about what I do next. To say that I’m upset is a understatement. I’m considering busing it to the 100k mark and walking from there in a few days. Hopefully by then my foot will be well enough. I just have to decide if I should risk it. Thank you for your Albergue suggestion but I will likely stay put for a few more days and rest my feet. Ugh, this sucks so bad. But I’m going to try to find a way. ☘️

Thank you Saint Mike. I toured the castle yesterday and much of Ponferrada. It’s such a beautiful city. This morning I tried shopping for alternative footwsre but I can’t put a shoe on my left foot. I’m forced to reevaluate and be realistic about what I do next. To say that I’m upset is a understatement. I’m considering busing it to the 100k mark and walking from there in a few days. Hopefully by then my foot will be well enough. I just have to decide if I should risk it. Thank you for your Albergue suggestion but I will likely stay put for a few more days and rest my feet. Ugh, this sucks so bad. But I’m going to try to find a way. ☘️
Woollen socks and teva sandals? Does depend on where the sandals straps lie and where your blisters are but these sandals have worked wonders for many pilgrims. I know maybe not the latest fashion look that is unless you are on the camino. ;)
Take care and try not to worry. The camino will be always be there.

Again I sympathise... I found buying new insoles (jelly like...) helped a bit with the pain but really, there's nothing for it other than resting your feet until they heal. I had to take buses/trains for 2 days and yes, it was the most depressing thing but hey! Worse things happen at sea ;)
The one thing you have to check is that the blisters do not get infected but as you are taking antibiotics, it should be ok.
Take care and as @HedaP rightly said, the camino will always be there. Don't let it get you down! (ie 'do as I say, not as I do :oops::D)
Courage, peregrina and again, all my best wishes :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I asked how to pay for the service and they waved the offer and just gave me a big hug. I immediately cried with gratitude. ”

I have just been listening to the news preceded by a current affairs program. There is such a lot of negativity out there in the world between people. So when I read about the nurse who gave you a hug and waived the payment it made me feel so much better than the news; that daily diet of what is wrong with the human condition. You, the nurse and Paco are so much more typical of human beings. You just made me smile and made my day. Thanks.
Aidan

I have just been listening to the news preceded by a current affairs program. There is such a lot of negativity out there in the world between people. So when I read about the nurse who gave you a hug and waived the payment it made me feel so much better than the news; that daily diet of what is wrong with the human condition. You, the nurse and Paco are so much more typical of human beings. You just made me smile and made my day. Thanks.
Aidan
I also stayed at Hostal San Miguel in Ponferrada, for the night of Friday, 18 October. All I needed was some good food. And that was easily provided. All the people I encountered in the cafe were warm and friendly.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Hola Sissy.Las June went to do the camino started in S.J.P.d.P.my knee was not great when I started,so walk to Roncesvalles,and stay in the monastery,so beautiful,place,and very good food,the next day went to Zubiri,and my knee just went,so took a taxi to the hotel as I could not walk,they gave me lot of ice and it got a little better,so the next day took the bus too Pamplona,went to the Hospital there and said it might be bursitis,so with my walking pool manage to walk a little, beutiful Pamplona and the next day took the bus to Bilbao and spend the day there,so only walk the camino for 2 days,but it will be another time to do my four camino, Now i have to have an operation in my knee to to fix the cartilage.Rest yourself if you can no walk it would be another camino for you.

Saludos.

I haven’t turned a TV on or listened to the radio in 8 days. I haven’t missed it and am able to see things and people in a more positive way I feel. I’m glad you enjoyed the story; I’m so pleased it’s non fiction.

Again I sympathise... I found buying new insoles (jelly like...) helped a bit with the pain but really, there's nothing for it other than resting your feet until they heal. I had to take buses/trains for 2 days and yes, it was the most depressing thing but hey! Worse things happen at sea ;)
The one thing you have to check is that the blisters do not get infected but as you are taking antibiotics, it should be ok.
Take care and as @HedaP rightly said, the camino will always be there. Don't let it get you down! (ie 'do as I say, not as I do :oops::D)
Courage, peregrina and again, all my best wishes :)
Hola Sissy.Las June went to do the camino started in S.J.P.d.P.my knee was not great when I started,so walk to Roncesvalles,and stay in the monastery,so beautiful,place,and very good food,the next day went to Zubiri,and my knee just went,so took a taxi to the hotel as I could not walk,they gave me lot of ice and it got a little better,so the next day took the bus too Pamplona,went to the Hospital there and said it might be bursitis,so with my walking pool manage to walk a little, beutiful Pamplona and the next day took the bus to Bilbao and spend the day there,so only walk the camino for 2 days,but it will be another time to do my four camino, Now i have to have an operation in my knee to to fix the cartilage.Rest yourself if you can no walk it would be another camino for you.

Saludos.[/QUOTE

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you for your support and for sharing your story. I’ve decided to stay another day in Ponferrada. (3 days now). It has a good selection of sport shops. I tried on new hiking shoes this morning but my feet wouldn’t hear of it. I plan to try again tomorrow morning, buy a pair and bus to abut 130k outside of Santiago and take my time getting there. I’ve cut the side out of my Keen sandals and will use them if I have to. I don’t want to give up yet. I wish you the best with your surgery.

Aidan

Sissy101,

Heaven has accepted you, offered a short time to visit. There are many Angels out there to help learn and understand Heaven. Yes, there are some lost souls who will do their best to play with your balance. Heaven, aka the Camino is full of challenges and lessons for us.

Once home, many begin to miss the experience, start feeling the blues. But we are here to help with that as well. In fact, last week, one Peregrina released a free ebook to help out. Check it out at nadinewalks.com.

No matter the new issue, we are all here to help, if we can. There is no higher calling than being the best Angel we can be.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
don't punish yourself about it, if you need rest , take it!! the best athletes in the world injure themselves! the Camino is not a punishment ! it's a learning experience and by the sound of it you have learned a lot! In this world of pain and sorrow the Way shows us there is still a load of nice people out there and gives us hope for the future, Buen Camino,

Thanks Gillian, you won’t be disappointed. Paco and company will treat you well.

Patricia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is nothing wrong with that (taking the bus)...do what you can do. I walked from St Jean-Pied-de-Port to Burgos in May of this year with my 22 year old son. He would not take my advice and get good hiking shoes so walked with some city boots he had that he insisted were already broken in since he had them for three years. It was a disaster with his blisters after our third day hiking. We met so many angels on the road...from people giving him wraps, hiking wool, pain meds, etc. He gave his feet a couple of days to rest, bought good boots, started sending his pack ahead of time, and made it to Burgos. There are many ways to do the Camino.

I have just been listening to the news preceded by a current affairs program.
Aidan
Aidan, Dear Aidan,

There is a choice to watch the news, or not. When it effects you in a negative way, there is a button on the remote allowing the channel to be changed, or, turn it off completely.

I find news time to be the best time to schedule my walks.

I couldn’t agree more Michelle. We get choose. I love the walk during news time idea.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.