• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An Auspicious Week

Aloha From Kauai

A Lifetime of Journeys
Time of past OR future Camino
April 3rd - June 3rd, 2022
On the same day I received my passport and my Pilgrim's Passport AND my third backpack I decided to try. Three for three, third times a charm, however you look at it, it was a good day and the third pack is the winner (Six Moon Minimalist). It was also the week I made my reservations on TAP, reservations at Montserrat Monastery to spend some quiet time to get my head right and listen to the famous boys' choir.

It was also the week that I made my husband sit down and accept that I was going to be gone April 3 - June 3. He's never liked the idea, has no interest in going, and for the longest time refused to talk about it. It was a huge relief to get that part over with and finally find some acceptance (this has been a 7-8 year conversation mind you). Anyway, after the sheer terror of finally pulling the trigger, I'm leaning into "I think I'm really doing this!" 6mos, 3wks...and counting. Warm Aloha from Kauai, Hawaii to all.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Let us know how you like your pack and congrats!
My second pack I thought I'd like had the benefit of zipping open fully around like a clamshell, which was the one feature I was sad about losing; this one is deep and narrow and I can tell will be a bit of a pain; I'll just need to find the organization system that works for me because if the harness feature does what I hope it will, it will take the pressure off of my thin-skin chest area (breast cancer radiation), which more than makes up for it.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Sometime what we write or say has a specific resonnance for some people, it’s what happen with what you wrote, I felt your strong determination and it was the final’drop for me to make the decision to walk next spring. Thanks, and have a great encounter with yourself.
Well Stellamaris, how fabulous is that? Let's stay in touch and share a glass of wine somewhere along The Way! Congratulations to YOU!

Why is it, do you think, that we feel so very proud of you?
Sometimes, when we hear of someone planning carefully, and bravely facing their unknown with strength and determination, it also lifts our spirits.
That rather strange exhortation comes to mind.
"You Go Girl!"
Or, as we say in the land of OZ.
"Sock it to em cobber!"

Regards
Gerard

On the same day I received my passport and my Pilgrim's Passport AND my third backpack I decided to try. Three for three, third times a charm, however you look at it, it was a good day and the third pack is the winner (Six Moon Minimalist). It was also the week I made my reservations on TAP, reservations at Montserrat Monastery to spend some quiet time to get my head right and listen to the famous boys' choir.

It was also the week that I made my husband sit down and accept that I was going to be gone April 3 - June 3. He's never liked the idea, has no interest in going, and for the longest time refused to talk about it. It was a huge relief to get that part over with and finally find some acceptance (this has been a 7-8 year conversation mind you). Anyway, after the sheer terror of finally pulling the trigger, I'm leaning into "I think I'm really doing this!" 6mos, 3wks...and counting. Warm Aloha from Kauai, Hawaii to all.
This may not happen to you, but I'm just throwing it out there so you'll be ready for it, if it does.

Either before or during your Camino walk, sudden doubts may beset you. You'll remember your husband's misgivings and have second thoughts. The many years of build-up will add to the anxiety. "What the h*&^ am I doing here? I should be home for X,Y,Z reasons! This was a bad idea!"

When and if this happens, notice the thoughts and your feelings about them, and then carry on! It will pass. Walking the Camino is NOT a bad idea.

This doubt/fear/regret/guilt hits me suddenly at some point just before and/or during the Camino at least once. Often it's when I think about how my husband always has to take care of all my animals and other responsibilities while I'm gone and I feel guilty. I see a dog and remember my dog at home and I know he misses me and doesn't know where I went.

This always goes away; sometimes within an hour, and always by the next day. Do others have this happen, too?

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This may not happen to you, but I'm just throwing it out there so you'll be ready for it, if it does.

Either before or during your Camino walk, sudden doubts may beset you. You'll remember your husband's misgivings and have second thoughts. The many years of build-up will add to the anxiety. "What the h*&^ am I doing here? I should be home for X,Y,Z reasons! This was a bad idea!"

When and if this happens, notice the thoughts, experience your feelings about them, and then carry on! It will pass. Walking the Camino is NOT a bad idea.

This doubt/fear/regret/guilt hits me suddenly at some point just before and/or during the Camino. Often it's when I think about how my husband always has to take care of all my animals and other responsibilities while I'm gone and I feel guilty. I see a dog and remember my dog at home and I know he misses me and doesn't know where I went.

This always goes away; sometimes within an hour, and always by the next day. Do others have this happen, too?
So nice to meet a kindred spirit and another Jill. Animals, sigh... My husband is a good sport; he gave up fighting the animal argument knowing I'm apt to bring home just about anything in need. A few months ago when we were visiting California family, he even helped me save a tiny baby raccoon all balled up in a plastic fence and hanging upside down exhausted and crying for its mama, at two in the morning. Now mind you, he stood back and held the flashlight and had a running commentary on "don't get too close, be careful" and such, lol. I'm happy to report that both the husband and the raccoon survived the experience, lol.

I worry about my animals all of the time because while he does take care of them, he doesn't "watch out" for them the way I do. For this reason and others, I will most certainly go through those feelings, and honestly already have, but I will push myself through them as I would hate myself for not doing what I have spent so long working towards. Thanks so much for your encouragement!!!

So nice to meet a kindred spirit and another Jill. Animals, sigh... My husband is a good sport; he gave up fighting the animal argument knowing I'm apt to bring home just about anything in need. A few months ago when we were visiting California family, he even helped me save a tiny baby raccoon all balled up in a plastic fence and hanging upside down exhausted and crying for its mama, at two in the morning. Now mind you, he stood back and held the flashlight and had a running commentary on "don't get too close, be careful" and such, lol. I'm happy to report that both the husband and the raccoon survived the experience, lol.

I worry about my animals all of the time because while he does take care of them, he doesn't "watch out" for them the way I do. For this reason and others, I will most certainly go through those feelings, and honestly already have, but I will push myself through them as I would hate myself for not doing what I have spent so long working towards. Thanks so much for your encouragement!!!
Hah, the name "Jill" is relatively uncommon in my experience in the US, but we are thick as flies here on this Camino board, for some reason.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure many of you like me have followed the writing of Anton Pombo, who is currently lecturing in the United States. See this interview...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back