• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An Easy Way to Help (at least a little)

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking a lot about those in Camino-land who are being negatively affected by the ongoing public health emergency. I know some are exploring ways to support financially, or in other ways. There's one easy thing that all of us can do now, though, while we're sheltering-in-place, that can help albergues (and other accommodations), restaurants, authors, and others involved with the pilgrimage: write positive reviews of places and resources you love. Write accommodation reviews on Gronze, Google, and Booking. Write book reviews here in the forum bookstore and on Amazon. Review restaurants on Google and Yelp. People are relying on these more and more to shape their choices, so a big push in support could help a place get back on its feet once we're back on ours.

(And yeah, I recognize this could be a self-serving post, as an author. The guidebooks are just a hobby for me, though, and I have nothing financially riding on them. I do worry about how my publisher, Cicerone, will manage a multi-month cessation of travel, though, and I also have concerns for my fellow guidebook authors and publishers who are more reliant on this income. Please support them all.)

Dave

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Great ideas here. I just heard of another, from a local-to-me sporting goods shop - buy gift certificates for friends, family now, to be redeemed when the world engages again. Applied to the Camino, I already have a daily listing of planned Albergues for my postponed Via de la Plata......is it possible to prepay Municipal Albergues, as a sign of faith and support along the Way? And do you think it would help the economy there? I don't believe Perochial Albergues need it as costs are negligible once they close doors there. Municipals may want to compensate staff on leave. Your thoughts?

is it possible to prepay Municipal Albergues
While the gesture is very kind, I can't imagine that the municipalities would want to set up and manage a payment system for this amount of income. Some of those albergues are being used as shelters for emergency purposes. I think that we pilgrims are not at the forefront of their minds, at the moment. Hopefully there will be a time in the not-too-distant future when we can help support the pilgrim infrastructure again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While the gesture is very kind, I can't imagine that the municipalities would want to set up and manage a payment system for this amount of income. Some of those albergues are being used as shelters for emergency purposes. I think that we pilgrims are not at the forefront of their minds, at the moment. Hopefully there will be a time in the not-too-distant future when we can help support the pilgrim infrastructure again.

Of course, thanks for clarity. Good intentions ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back