• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An electric plug strip?

Older Guy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis -May 2016 by bike---Loved it
One of the things that always amazes me when I travel in Europe is that in some places I stay overnight there are not many electrical outlets. Often I want to recharge a camera battery, a cell phone, my laptop computer, a fit bit, and a GPS while I sleep. I confess, I am a technology nerd, but this is 2016. Because of this and past travels to Europe, I have a European 3 to 1 plug strip with 2 USB charging slots. It doesn't weigh that much.

What are peoples thoughts on taking something like this. Would the people at the hostels and A's say no you can't do that. Would I make friends who also want to plug their stuff in?

Any opinions? Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One of the things that always amazes me when I travel in Europe is that in some places I stay overnight there are not many electrical outlets. Often I want to recharge a camera battery, a cell phone, my laptop computer, a fit bit, and a GPS while I sleep. I confess, I am a technology nerd, but this is 2016. Because of this and past travels to Europe, I have a European 3 to 1 plug strip with 2 USB charging slots. It doesn't weigh that much.

What are peoples thoughts on taking something like this. Would the people at the hostels and A's say no you can't do that. Would I make friends who also want to plug their stuff in?

Any opinions? Thanks.

No, no, no, no, no!

Surely you've got room for a portable generator as well!

I have a small cube that plugs into the wall, it can plug into any type of plug in hundreds of countries and contains three UK sockets as well as 4 USB fast charge ports. It's tiny, very light and doesn't take up much room, surely something like that is all you need?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
...Often I want to recharge a camera battery, a cell phone, my laptop computer, a fit bit, and a GPS while I sleep. I confess, I am a technology nerd, but this is 2016. Because of this and past travels to Europe, I have a European 3 to 1 plug strip with 2 USB charging slots. It doesn't weigh that much.

Any opinions? Thanks.

Hospitaleros wouldn't mind and some fellow pilgrims might perhaps appreciate it, but your back might just mind carrying all that additional weight ....
Buen Camino, SY

I have a small cube that plugs into the wall, it can plug into any type of plug in hundreds of countries and contains three UK sockets as well as 4 USB fast charge ports. It's tiny, very light and doesn't take up much room, surely something like that is all you need?

Hi, thanks and can you please provide the brand / model / online address. And tells us the weight?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The USB cubes and multi socket thingies are so cheap at the euro bizarre stores that you could pick one up and then after a day or two decide whether or not it was too heavy to cart for more KMs. I bought a multi socket - I think it had 3 places to plug stuff in and got a lot of use out of it. Paid 2.5e. I gave it to one of my hostel mates in Madrid before I left.

USB cubes and multi socket thingies are so cheap at the euro bizarre stores

Thanks. I am obsessively at the light weight end.

I currently have a device with one USB supplying 5 v / 2.1 amp at one end. At the other end is an arrangement to fit one of four plates to connect to EU, NZ, UK or US mains outlets respectively. All up, including a bag, it weighs 110 grams.

And I have a tablet (5 v / 2.1 amp), phone (5 v / 1 amp) and a camera (5 v / 1.5 amp). So no problem with any one device.

Conscious of the oft proffered advice to never leave your equipment when charging I am looking for equally light weight alternatives that will do two at once at the quickest rate. This would be the phone and tablet.

So my quest is for a device with two USB outlets each offering 5 v / 2.1 amps (4.2 amps or more in total) and weighing well under 100 grams. I appreciate these might be region specific.

I suspect my strategy is to look for something when I arrive in France, ditch that on leaving Spain, and repeat the process on arrival in the UK.

While an electric plug strip might itself be light I would need a USB mains charger for each device. All up that might be relatively quite heavy.

I personally use a device by a Swiss company called Skross, I purchased it duty free on a transatlantic flight, it's extremely high quality and has taken quite a battering but still works perfectly which amazes me. I love being able to plug my iPad, phone and two laptops into one socket when I'm travelling, it's also fused so safe. It's about the size of my fist clenched which is basically as small as a multi socket can possibly be to accommodate three pin plugs. It works in every country I've been to which is now well over 100, what's great about it is not only will it go into any foreign socket, but you can also plug foreign sockets into it alongside your normal three pin plug devices and USB devices, for example charging a toothbrush or razor.

Skross make several small cube shaped adapters that would suit your needs perfectly. If you search "SKROSS 1.302150 World Adapter MUV USB" in Amazon you'll find one very similar to mine, except mine is black and has an extra three pin socket. You can also pick them up at many shops on the high street and duty free at airports.

Other companies do make them too but I've never really needed to look into it. I'd avoid the cheaper Chinese ones if I were you because that could be lethal, especially charging multiple devices from one socket, and in the some countries as I'm sure you know the wiring isn't great to start with.

Sorry this is a bit long and rambly, but I hope it helps.

41Ir8UexJTL.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I carry a ... splitter? The thing you plug into the wall so that two people can charge their stuff at the same time.

I definitely have made friends when using it, and it cost virtually nothing, so I'm not afraid of letting someone borrow it when I og out to eat.

"Cube taps" or "3-way plug adapters," 1 to 3 plug splitters are available in any ferreteria (hardware) shop (tienda), DIY, department store that sells small electronics, or travel supply store in Europe or Spain (as this is the Camino forum). Most all European countries use the same, two-round pin Schuko plug.

If you bring your camera, phone, or tablet charger from home, and that charger is rated at 110-240 volts (VAC) and 50-60 Hz, all you need is a small, inexpensive plug adapter to convert from your home plug pin configuration to the two-round pin Schuko configuration.

Below linked, is the US pin-adapter I use on all my European travels.

http://www.world-import.com/WMU5.htm

The fit into any grounded or ungrounded Euro socket. I buy these things a dozen at a time as they are so cheap. The equality is first-rate. I consume them by giving them away to other travelers (I usually carry two) or losing them. But as you can see, they are very inexpensive here.

On one of my trips to Europe or Spain, I forget right now, I found a cube tap that has two plugs coming in from the 3 o'clock and 9 0'clock positions and one coming straight in from the front. The pins plug into any grounded or non-grounded European outlet using the Schuko configuration. The three shared "outies" are arrayed to maximize the clearance from cube type chargers.

If you find a shop that has several types, I recommend the style that is flattest to the wall, based on my experience. It should be lighter weight and smaller in size.

I found this one on Amazon.com in the US:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K7DYEHA/?tag=casaivar02-20

upload_2016-1-14_8-49-39.png

It will work in any wall outlet, but it may be heavier than the type you can easily find in Europe.

The other type, for a grounded outlet, will NOT fit in the more-present, old style, two-pin non-grounded outlet. Most small electronic in Europe, like in the US have two pin plugs, not three-pin grounded plugs.

upload_2016-1-14_8-46-40.png

However, here are the configurations I find most often across Europe and in Spain:

upload_2016-1-14_8-33-30.png

3-way adapter plug for unearthed 2-pin plugs. This is the lightest weight type I have found...yet...;)

upload_2016-1-14_8-32-55.png

3-way flat style plug adapter

upload_2016-1-14_8-32-10.png

3-way grounded (2-on the Y) and ungrounded (1-straight in) Schuko plug sharing adapter.

Below linked, is the pin-adapter I use on all my European travels.

upload_2016-1-14_8-48-0.png

I buy these things a dozen at a time as they are so cheap. The equality is first-rate. I consume them by giving them away to other travelers (I usually carry two) or losing them. But as you can see, they are very inexpensive here.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-14_8-29-59.png
    upload_2016-1-14_8-29-59.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2016-1-14_8-31-11.png
    upload_2016-1-14_8-31-11.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 1

Any opinions? Thanks.
I think it is a grand idea. I carried a four foot extension cord with multiple plugs on the end. Always remember when people tell you it is too heavy, it is not the weight of any one particular item, but the combined weight that is on your back. So if you want it, don't worry about it. Hey, you can always jetsam things if your pack is to heavy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I also carried a short extension cord on my camino last fall. used it almost every day and often shared it with other pilgrims. love reading this forum every morning with my coffee. guess I'm hooked...can't wait to walk the cmino again. Martha
I think it is a grand idea. I carried a four foot extension cord with multiple plugs on the end. Always remember when people tell you it is too heavy, it is not the weight of any one particular item, but the combined weight that is on your back. So if you want it, don't worry about it. Hey, you can always jetsam things if your pack is to heavy.

Below linked, is the pin-adapter I use on all my European travels.

View attachment 23315
If you use an adapter like this one that @t2andreo recommends, it often happens that the adapter remains in the wall socket when you remove your charger, and you don't notice it's missing until the next time you're ready to charge your phone or whatever (voice of experience speaking). Therefore it's a good idea to to tape your charger to the adapter with electrical tape of duct tape so the two don't come apart in the rush of getting going. Also, as Tom said, these things are so cheap that you can easily carry two or three for your own misfortune or to gift to fellow pilgrims who have made the same mistake.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anker do a 5xUSB charger so more than enough for charging and to offer shares to other. I bought mine via Amazon France so that it comes with a European 2 pin plug so no need for an adapter. Excellent and reasonable weight.
Ultreïa

The USB cubes and multi socket thingies are so cheap at the euro bizarre stores that you could pick one up and then after a day or two decide whether or not it was too heavy to cart for more KMs. I bought a multi socket - I think it had 3 places to plug stuff in and got a lot of use out of it. Paid 2.5e. I gave it to one of my hostel mates in Madrid before I left.
Beware of the multi USB chargers bought at the "Chino" or Dollar Store. Even the staff warned me to keep my receipt. :eek:. Buy one that is quality. It will be less expensive in the ... Short run o_O'

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Beware of the multi USB chargers bought at the "Chino" or Dollar Store. Even the staff warned me to keep my receipt. :eek:. Buy one that is quality. It will be less expensive in the ... Short run o_O'
I bought a multi-USB cube with interchangeable plugs for US, UK, EU and AU a three years ago off Amazon. It at the time had the best reviews. I use it at home, for travel and my camino. "EZOPower 4-Port USB Travel Charger". It's been good to me.

Further to my last post, in which I mentioned the very inexpensive (USD .79) adapters I buy in bulk, I was at a Best Buy electronics superstore today. Here is a photo of THEIR solution to use US power chargers in Europe:

Best Buy adapters.JPG

On the left is the same non-gronded, 2-pin Schuko adapter I pay .79 cents for. Best Buy is charging USD $9.99. On the right is the Schuko grounded adapter I pay about USD $1.20 for. Best Buy is charging $9.99.

Again, my online source is:

I hope this helps.

I've just been looking on Amazon France (amazon.fr) for my own use; if you search USB charger you will see they offer Anker plugs with both 2 and 3 USB ports. Buying from this site offers two pin European plug. Anker are very good and offer intelligent charging so the plug detects the correct charging rate for each device. This is all you need plus your original equipment cables. I'm getting a two port for myself. If you don't read French it will translate. Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.