• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An excess of questions from a first time pilgrim

Anna Shea

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (September/October 2014)
Hello everyone! I am planning to walk the Camino Frances solo starting around the 25th of September. This is a semi-last minute decision and I still have a lot to figure out before I start my adventure so any advice would be truly appreciated! I have questions about a lot of unrelated things but I figured it would be easiest to put them all in one post. I'm sure these are all questions that have been asked before and I'm sorry about that. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Backpack/checking bags: I have a 65L Osprey Ariel that I have been using for about a year. I love this pack but I am concerned that it will be too big. What backpack would you recommend for the camino? I will continue to live out of whatever pack I bring for a couple of months after I finish the walk and having a bag that can be a carry-on would be a huge bonus. PS - Does a swiss army knife need to be checked or can I take it in a carry-on?

Where to start/weather concerns: I'm having trouble deciding whether to start in SJPDP or Burgos. I have no time constraints. Ideally I would begin in SJPDP but because I am not starting until late-September I'm worried that it will be miserably rainy by the end of my journey. I'm thinking that if I started in Burgos I might be able to make it to Santiago before the weather gets too bad. Generally, how bad is the rain in October? And will there still be people to walk with? I like walking by myself sometimes but I'm also really looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims.

What to do with extra supplies: I plan to continue my travels for a couple of months after I finish the camino and I'm guessing I will want to bring more clothes, etc. for after I finish. Is it true that you can ship some stuff to Santiago and pick it up when you get there? How much would this cost? I have a friend who is living near Madrid, would it be easier to leave my stuff with her instead and pick it up when I finish the camino?

Miscellaneous:
  • What kind of camera would you recommend bringing?
  • What is a good guide book to buy?
  • How can I wake up without my alarm disturbing anyone who's still asleep? (I'm not very good at waking up)
  • Will there be many other people close to my age? (19)

I realize I put a lot of questions in this post and I don't expect any single person to answer them all. But if you feel that you can help with one or a few of my questions I'd really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello everyone! I am planning to walk the Camino Frances solo starting around the 25th of September. This is a semi-last minute decision and I still have a lot to figure out before I start my adventure so any advice would be truly appreciated! I have questions about a lot of unrelated things but I figured it would be easiest to put them all in one post. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Backpack/checking bags: I have a 65L Osprey Ariel that I have been using for about a year. I love this pack but I am concerned that it will be too big. What backpack would you recommend for the camino? I will continue to live out of whatever pack I bring for a couple of months after I finish the walk and having a bag that can be a carry-on would be a huge bonus. PS - Does a swiss army knife need to be checked or can I take it in a carry-on?

Where to start/weather concerns: I'm having trouble deciding whether to start in SJPDP or Burgos. I have no time constraints. Ideally I would begin in SJPDP but because I am not starting until late-September I'm worried that it will be miserably rainy by the end of my journey. I'm thinking that if I started in Burgos I might be able to make it to Santiago before the weather gets too bad. Generally, how bad is the rain in October? And will there still be people to walk with? I like walking by myself sometimes but I'm also really looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims.

What to do with extra supplies: I plan to continue my travels for a couple of months after I finish the camino and I'm guessing I will want to bring more clothes, etc. for after I finish. Is it true that you can ship some stuff to Santiago and pick it up when you get there? How much would this cost? I have a friend who is living near Madrid, would it be easier to leave my stuff with her instead and pick it up when I finish the camino?

Miscellaneous:
  • How can I wake up without my alarm disturbing anyone who's still asleep? (I'm not very good at waking up)

I realize I put a lot of questions in this post and I don't expect any single person to answer them all. But if you feel that you can help with one or a few of my questions I'd really appreciate it!

Anna:

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Backpack: I recommend you get something smaller. We all have the tendency to fill up our packs. A 65l pack probably weighs quite a bit more than a smaller pack. I would recommend something in the 35 to 45L range. It also might be a tight fit in carry on. A swiss army knife probably will be confiscated. I send my knife and a couple of other items ahead to my first hotel.

Weather: No one can predict the weather. I would not worry about it. Just bring good rain gear or a poncho. If you have the time, you might as well start in SJPdP. Do not worry about having company. There are still many Pilgrims who walk September/October time frame.

Storage: There is a place that will store your gear in Santiago for a reasonable price. I have never used but I am sure others will direct you to the right thread. You could also leave your stuff with your friend in Madrid. Will that be your entry point.

I just use a small digital camera, It depends on what type of pictures you intend to take.
There are many guide books to choose from. All are helpful but not necessary. Route is well marked. Many will have suggestions.
I do not think you will have any problems waking up. Most folks use their watch or phone alarm.
There will more than likely be young folks your age.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
I'll try to answer some of your questions. Just my humble opinions more than answers of course.

A 65L pack is pretty big, but not too big. It's what you carry in the pack and it's weight that's more of a factor. A light 65L pack is better than an overloaded, heavy 45L pack. You may have a problem with a pack that big if you try to use it as a carry-on for the flight. I would think it would have to be checked luggage. Otherwise, use it but pack wisely. ;)
I don't think they will allow you to have a Swiss Army knife in your carry-on.
I've only done summertime Caminos (June-August). Don't know what the weather is like doing the Camino September through October, but I heard it's not that bad. Personally I would start in St Jean and do the whole thing, especially since you don't have a time constraint. Carry a waterproof cover for your pack and some rain-gear for your body. You will be fine.
You can use your IPhone or Smart phone as a camera if you don't want to bring a separate one. Otherwise I would say there are a lot of cheap, good, small and lightweight digital cameras out there. Make sure you have a case for it and an European adapter for the plug. Easy to keep it charged at the albergues and such.
The Brierley guidebook does the job, and is readily available. There are others out there, but the old dude's book seems to cover all the bases and has good maps and accommodation information on the albergues and such. It's a good detailed book for a first time pilgrim.
Believe me, there will be others waking up probably earlier than you at the albergues. If you have an alarm on your wristwatch, use that. That's what I did.
I know during the summer I saw many peregrinos that were your age. I imagine there are ones during the fall as well.
Don't know anything thing about shipping your gear ahead, but I am sure there are others on this forum that can help you with that and I am sure will be giving you opinions on your other concerns. ;)
Buen Camino

I just completed my first Camino in June. It was a learning experience.
Backpack - I used Gregory 45L. My goal for my next Camino is 30L. My pack without food and water was 22-24 pounds. My goal for my next Camino is 14-16 pounds.

Checking bags: I used an Osprey Bag to check my Backpack and Trekking poles. If I were to carry on my backpack, I would have to leave my pocketknife behind. No worries, you can purchase a simple Opinel knife for 5 euros.

Where to start: You will learn early on, weather makes no difference. You're a pilgrim. You get up each morning and walk - regardless of the weather. If you have time, I would definitely start in SJPP. First, there's a great Pilgrim's store if you need anything. Second, the Pyranees are unique and beautiful. Third, Roncevalles, Zubiri, Pamplona are all worth seeing. The pilgrims you meet in the first few days, you will most likely see the remainder of the trip.

What to do with extra supplies: You can always have Ivar hold a package for you. It's easy and he's very responsible and flexible. Email him for pricing. If you're flying into Madrid and you have a friend there, problem solved, leave it in Madrid.

Miscellaneous:
  • What kind of camera would you recommend bringing? I would bring a good digital camera with a good zoom. If it has WiFi you can upload pictures to Facebook easily. My cell phone photos, Samsung Galaxy, were inferior to my camera photos.
  • What is a good guide book to buy? Brierley -current edition.
  • How can I wake up without my alarm disturbing anyone who's still asleep? (I'm not very good at waking up). You shouldn't have to worry about an alarm because it's unlikely you'll get a full night's sleep. Bunk beds or other pilgrims will get you up.
  • Will there be many other people close to my age? (19) Yes, Pilgrims of all ages are on the Camino.
Google: 'Youtube Camino Invigorates Senses' and you can see the photos and videos from our trip.

Ref 65L pack: You won't save much weight with a smaller pack. I wouldn't go to additional expense for something slightly smaller.

Its unlikely any airline will allow you to bring a sharp object into the cabin. You don't really need a pocket knife either.

I walked late October to mid December. A lot of people left the camino when the weather got colder (frost in the mornings) mid November. I was lucky with rain; the squalls really started just as I got to Fisterra in mid December. I gather the rains usually start a couple of weeks earlier. October shouldn't be a problem though you will certainly get some rain, particularly in Galicia.

I carried a Pentax W60. It takes good pictures.

Brierley has written a good guidebook for Camino Frances. ISBN 978-1-84409-575-9

Set your alarm for 0700. Most albergues want you out by 0800 so an alarm at 0700 isn't going to offend anyone.

You will find people of all ages from all backgrounds imaginable.

Carry less ... less is better!! You don't need much, lightweight quick drying clothes, one change of clothes, and a pair of lightweight shoes for evening ... keep your pack weight 6-7 kilos (I did and I was carrying a straightening iron ... I know... but some things you just gotta have!) Travel size toiletries can be purchased along the way.

NO WAY will you get a knife onto a plane... buy one when you get there (in every pilgrim shop along the way, and I think they are a great idea for lunches on the go... oh and to open the wine!)

No time constraints... start in SJPP ... you will not regret it. Don't worry about the weather .. walk whatever happens. No-one can predict the weather, I have walked in April two years in a row and the weather was completely different both times... take a waterproof jacket (or poncho). In September/October you can also expect some sun.

There will always be fellow pilgrims, in front of you, behind you, beside you.. no shortage!

Extra supplies.. there is an internal post service whereby as a pilgrim you get a discounted rate to on forward a box (which can also be purchased cheaply at Post Office) to Santiago's central Post Office .. we sent a box in April from Astorga to Santiago for less than 10 euros... pick it up on arrival. You can also post to your Hotel or to Ivar's storage facility in Santiago ... many options. (perhaps send some to Santiago, and leave your other travelling clothes at your friends).

Camera - I'm no photographer but to save on weight used my iPhone.. it was my phone, my camera, my computer (emails). I also took a kindle to save on weight..

If you are staying at albergues will not need an alarm... if you want to get a particularly early start use the alarm on your phone.

Age no boundaries... I have met children and people in their 80s walking happily together... you will meet many friends, young and old.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy this amazing journey.

Buen Camino.. Jo

Hi Anna! The search bar at the top of the forum is your new best friend! :) You will find answers (and so SO much info) to all your questions.
I do just want to say- definitely start in SJPP. I have walked once before, starting in St Jean on Oct 3, and this year I will start in Pamplona on Oct 1st. There were a handful of rainy days but walking at that time of year was just wonderful, and not incredibly crowded which was so nice. Also, since you have unlimited time, taking more time on the Camino will help your overall experience I think- the first week or so can be difficult for your feet especially trying to adjust, and once you do adjust it will be nice to have more time ahead of you!

Perhaps I will see you along the Way!!

Hy Anna , when you want to take your pocket knife leave it into your pack in the cargo hole , my wife dith it last year , it was no problem . Don't take it with you in the cabin.
Last year in September the eather was great , this year ??????????

Excellent advice above.
On some days, if you decide to ship your pack forward while you are walking via a service like Jacotrans you will need a day pack. I pack mine inside the top of my 45L bag filled with the stuff I need during the day and each night, thus avoiding unpacking and repacking the large bag every stop.
I have a nice, inexpensive point and shoot Nikon Coolpix camera that fits in my pocket, make sure to buy a larger memory card. I took over 400 photos this year on my second time on the CF, a friend I walked with the first time took over 1000 pix and she skipped 20 stages.
BTW, the weather should be great that time of year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everyone! I am planning to walk the Camino Frances solo starting around the 25th of September. This is a semi-last minute decision and I still have a lot to figure out before I start my adventure so any advice would be truly appreciated! I have questions about a lot of unrelated things but I figured it would be easiest to put them all in one post. I'm sure these are all questions that have been asked before and I'm sorry about that. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Miscellaneous:

Hello Anna,

Here is my two cents... Backpack: no bigger than 45L. Mine was just perfect and still place for some provisions along the way. This is something people don't plan, but some days you can walk for hours without restaurants/café/... You need to have some food in your bag and water each day. I would say 65L is too much, but if it's a good ans light pack, just dont overload it. 13-14 pounds....Check my pack and content below. BE LIGHT!! Some people bring too much and realize the have to leave behind some stuff along the way. Merino wool for everything (socks, t-shirts, undies, long sleeves).

Start: MUST start at SJPDP.... best part of the Camino is probably from SJPDP to Pamplona. And there is where you meet a lot of pilgrims starting their own journey. The feeling in the air at SJPDP is magic. The pilgrim Mass at Roncevalles is one of the best experience I'va had and a must do. You will have plenty people to walk with. A lot of the time you walk with your group, but still can be alone - if you know what I mean.... The photo of the group drinking a beer below is at Roncevalles, so after our first day of walk. I met these people in the morning at SJPDP and we just naturally grouped and walked together. Nobody knew each other. They became my best friends for 26 days!! One I did not see after spending an amazing 3 days with, but the three other we walked to the end, on and off for a few days sometimes....

Camera: I bought a small/slim sony digital camera for my trip ... $100. It was amazing and I now use it as my main. Small, light and tons of memory on it.

Guidebook: A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago: St. Jean • Roncesvalles • Santiago by John Brierley (Jan 1 2014)... Awesome, very detailled and was great for me. (Purchased it on Amazon)

Alarm: I had my watch alarm only. Don't worry about alarms... everybody has them. Unless you want to be very early, you will be waken up by others.... guaranteed! :eek:)

Age: yes some as young as you, but of all ages. Funny thing on the Camino, age is not an issue. Everybody is young and seem to find something interesting from each...

Hopr this helps.... anything else, dont' hesitate... (sorry about this change in font size, not sure what happened :eek:)

Dan

Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 12.07.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 12.20.46 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 12.00.08 PM.png

Miscellaneous:

...also forgot to mention... Have some glove and a tuque for that time of year... never know... this was in november, but....Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 12.31.01 PM.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As said above: go light! The Ariel 65 is huge, tall, stiff and weighs more than 2 kgs, you really don't need that much. With a bit of planning you can stay and travel after the camino without needing more or different clothing, just take warm and practical things and add a silk scarf, a pretty necklace, or colour coordinate your tops and trousers. There are lots of normal looking merino long and short sleeve tops available now, and look for stretchy trousers instead of zip-offs. The lighter you travel the more mobile you are, obviously, and won't need to transport your pack and be tied to an end point in the day or pay to have things sent to Santiago for storage.If you like Osprey packs and they fit you, look at the 30-45 litre models like the Talons, Auras, Sirrus etc. and see if you find a good match. They will go as carry-on too.

Also in my opinion you don't need an alarm, because yes, it will wake others and annoy them if it is set for too early - there are always others moving about rustling to wake you up - please don't pack your stuff in plastic/shopping bags ;) In Sept you don't have to get up that early to beat the heat of the day either, so enjoy your sleep.

Brierley is the classic guidebook for many English speakers, but have a look online at the Michelin (very lightweight), Rother (more detailed, smaller) or Kelly's (PDF/ebook), depending on what you like and what you need. There will always be someone else carrying the Brierley ...

Start where you want, but if you have no time constraints and you want to, why not join the excited masses from St Jean. The weather in Galicia will be completely unpredictable and at some point bad no matter when you get there. If you do start from St Jean, my second best Camino decision of all time (deciding to walk it being the all time best) was to book at Orisson. If you can still get a bed, you won't regret it. And take some snacks - chocolate, nuts, etc - for the 'up and over' walk to Roncesvalles. You'll be glad you did.

Well done on your quick decision and buen camino! You will have a great time!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Camino. I reckon keep your load weight down and do short days to start with until your body is trail-fit. And if anything starts hurting, pay attention and look after yourself or take a rest day. Tortoises trump heroes.

Anna,
If you truly have no time constraints, wonderful. But if you are a North American traveling on a normal tourist visa, you actually do have a fairly rigid time constraint: 90 days out of any 180 in the Schengen area (which includes western Europe but not the British Isles). Since you mention walking the Camino Frances (approx 6 weeks) and also traveling a couple months afterwards, this may be an issue for you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Miscellaneous:

Bless you for asking about a quiet way to wake up. Use an Up24 or any other type of vibrating alarm. I wear my bracelet, linked to my Iphone, and noone needs to suffer with what ever time I opt to wake up at. It's a matter of simple respect. Same thing goes for using plastic bags instead of mesh bags. The quieter you can be, the better.

And do start in SJPP - that day across the mountains and the few following it into and just Pamplona are some of the most beautiful. Past Burgos ... certainly the first 2 days are quite ... ordinary until you get to Astorga: won't bring tears to your eyes like the beauty of the Basque country.

Have a lovely time.

The best advice is to carry less than you think you need, walk at your own pace and carry a Swiss army knife with a corkscrew. The wine in Spain still have corks. Enjoy your Camino, it's going to be a wonderful part of your life.

And do start in SJPP - that day across the mountains and the few following it into and just Pamplona are some of the most beautiful. Past Burgos ... certainly the first 2 days are quite ... ordinary until you get to Astorga: won't bring tears to your eyes like the beauty of the Basque country.
Have a lovely time.
I live in the Pays Basque and wake up every morning with a view of the mountains and the surf. "Tears to your eyes" is understating the beauty of this place.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you've been using that pack for a year and are comfortable with it, I'd say stay with it. You don't have to pack it full, however you do say you plan on continuing to live out of it for another couple of months. You may well need more room for additional clothes for the continuation of your journey. If you are used to the larger pack and used to heavier weights then you probably don't need to get another pack. Most people are only living out of the small packs for 30 to 60 days maximum, JUST doing the Camino, and many of us have never really packed before. We made sure we carried lighter weights to increase our chances of completing the Camino, but that was ALL we were doing. I did come across a couple of pilgrims with much larger packs than the rest of us had, but they had been packing around Europe and then decided to do the Camino. They had been walking for several months as you say you plan on doing.

Yes, your knife will probably be confiscated. Call the airline and explain what you want to do and find out if you need to ship it ahead.

You may well run into more rainy or cold weather, than starting earlier, however there are many who start during times it should be good and wind up with bad weather in the Pyrenees. Sometimes it's just a crap shoot. You just have to find out at the pilgrims office the day before you start, if you should do the Napoleon route, or go around, should you choose to start in SJPDP. If you do start there do yourself a favor and obey the recommendations. You don't want to be the sad story of the pilgrim who got lost in bad weather and died. It DOES happen, and usually to someone who ignores the warning.

When my husband and I walked, we used the service that Ivar Rekve (from this forum) provides in storing packages. He stored ours for two months. It was great and so was he. He let us know, by email when he received it, and we had no problem retrieving it when we arrived in Santiago two months later. It's an amazing service he provides for very little cost.

Miscellaneous:

Start in St Jean and let the weather take care of itself. 35 l bag is big enough. Leave your extra with your friend in Madrid. Brierley is a good guide book.

Miscellaneous:

How exciting! I am re-living my Camino preparation just by reading about yours. Now on to your questions:
-I ended up with a Kyte 36, which was just large enough for my needs and was able to be transported as a carry-on
-I started in SJPDP and loved the first part of the trip but can't speak to the weather at the time your will go
-In Viana, for a special pilgrim's rate, I mailed my extras ahead to Santiago where the post office holds pilgrim's items for up to 30 days now.
-I took a very nice, expensive Sony digital point and shoot which I used for about 10 shots at which point I switched to using my iPhone exclusively. Eventually I sent the Sony ahead to Santiago.
-I didn't take a guide book but wish that I had done so, something with historical information as well as information about alternate routes. I look forward to reading about other people's suggestions.
-Occasionally I used my alarm to get up at five (I liked leaving in time to watch the sunrise and to take pictures of it) but would silence it as soon as it began going off. Usually I asked someone else who was planning to get up early to wake me up.
-When I was on the Camino in June and July 2014, I met great numbers of people in your age range. I imagine that because it was summer vacation, there might have been more than there would be in the fall.

Buen Camino...I am looking forward to reading your blog.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
About your backpack: I do have a big one too, and I'm very happy with it. If I need a lot of stuff, (like extra food) there is no problem to take it. If on a camino, I only take what I need, tighten the side straps and go! The Ariel 65 is big too, but a very good backpack. It also has side straps to make it smaller. In this way you can take all your stuff in one pack to Spain, send the things you don't need to Santiago, make the pack smaller again and walk. With a smaller pack you might have a problem traveling with more stuff after camino.
It also depends on your budget too off course...

About your backpack: I do have a big one too, and I'm very happy with it. If I need a lot of stuff, (like extra food) there is no problem to take it. If on a camino, I only take what I need, tighten the side straps and go! The Ariel 65 is big too, but a very good backpack. It also has side straps to make it smaller. In this way you can take all your stuff in one pack to Spain, send the things you don't need to Santiago, make the pack smaller again and walk. With a smaller pack you might have a problem traveling with more stuff after camino.
It also depends on your budget too off course...
On the "more stuff after Camino" comment. I have found that I have: less tooth paste, less soap, less shampoo, 1 fewer water bottle, less bandaids, less sunscreen, less extra batteries, less ibuprofen and naproxen, less body weight. If all I have additional to carry back is my Compostela in a protective tube...life is good.
Now if you decide to purchase ten t-shirts that say, "Grandpa when on pilgrimage to Santiago and all I got was this shirt." Then...

I love my Zpack with all the extra pouches. I have been walking with it for the last two weeks and it is fantastic. So comfortable, light, and convenient.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
To make what are normally over-long replies from me more condense, here is my erstwhile suggestion:

Use the Google-powered search engine to search this forum for any term. Ask it any question. You will receive links to previous posts.

For example: if you have a question about how to fit hiking boots, type "How to fit hiking boots" and etc. If you want to know the "best" water bottle, search for "best water bottle..."

Every possible question has likely been answered multiple times. Try to sort your replies by date, so you can read reply posts in more or less chronological order.

This should help you sort EVERY issue or question you might have about the Camino Frances out in very little time.

I hope this helps.

Tom, glad to see back. You've been missing for a few months.

Tom, glad to see back. You've been missing for a few months.

I am just in my post-Camino depression. Once the weather turns colder here, I will start thinking and planning for 2015... Feel free to PM or e-mail directly. I do have a few questions for you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Miscellaneous:

Hi, I have researched so much on the net about backpack as you will be carrying this thing for weeks on end, I am a male aged 51 and it was made very clear that the lighter, the better. I'm going to max myself out at just 8kgs, to include rucksack weight. From my research, 45 ltr is perfect, 5 ltrs either side is fine, 60 ltr + will burden you. With everything I have read, and the good advice from the experts, I recently purchased the Osprey Atmos (male) Aura (female) 50 AG at £160, don't be put off by the price, I didn't want to spend any more than £90, but when I tried it on it blew my mind! I have been walking with my 8kg and I have to admit, I forget I'm wearing a rucksack at all, it isn't until I leap a small stream or climb over a stile that I notice. I'm amazed at just how it has taken away so many fears about my trek as I am far from a seasoned hiker. I'm of on 26th April 2015 and I feel ready for battle. Boots, rucksack, socks and poles are my priority, and in that order. I wish you a Buen Comino, hope this helped a little?

@Rob C If you look at the date the OP posted, you'll notice that s/he was referring to a 2014 Camino ;-) SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back