• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An Historical Inquiry with a Special Treat for our Scottish Brethren

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I am very much attracted to all things historical and archeological, Roman Medieval, Jewish and Christian - especially those concerning Saint James and would ask some few moments of your time and experience for the following inquiry. I recently watched a short video from the English Channel 4 appearing on YouTube and concerning the history and archeology of a forgotten town in Scotland, now vanished. Roxburgh was an important trading center in High Medieval to early modern Scotland. In the Middle Ages it had at least as much importance as Edinburgh, Stirling, Perth, or Berwick-upon-Tweed, for a time acting as de facto capital (as royal residence of Scottish King David I). The town thrived during these several hundred years from the production and sale of wool and cattle hides sold to merchants and industry in Flanders (then ruled by the Dukes of Burgandy) until the perfidious English conquered the town and then the port of Berwick effectively strangling this trade route and the abandonment of the town.
The producers of this video knew that the most important streets in this town were called Royal Street and Market Street. Further, that the busiest and most important market days occurred during the last week of July and the first of August. Lastly, that the church/cathedral in Roxburg was dedicated to…Saint James. They didn't reveal or didn't know that this important market, setting the financial base for the next entire year for all of Southern Scotland over several hundred years, was directly connected to Saint James' feast day.
My question. Was there a similar custom in Santiago or other parts of Galicia, or anywhere else for that matter dating from modern or historical times, of an all-important yearly market day around July 25? I know the cathedral in Santiago was supported historically, and in part, by that special tax raised all over Spain, a tax like many other, that is, not really appreciated by those far from Galicia. To anyones knowledge, was there a special celebration, market, or holiday beyond the festivities of July 25? Thank you for your interest.

PS Saint James plays but a very small part in this video though a small part of the cathedral was discovered, it may be seen here:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am very much attracted to all things historical and archeological, Roman Medieval, Jewish and Christian - especially those concerning Saint James and would ask some few moments of your time and experience for the following inquiry. I recently watched a short video from the English Channel 4 appearing on YouTube and concerning the history and archeology of a forgotten town in Scotland, now vanished. Roxburgh was an important trading center in High Medieval to early modern Scotland. In the Middle Ages it had at least as much importance as Edinburgh, Stirling, Perth, or Berwick-upon-Tweed, for a time acting as de facto capital (as royal residence of Scottish King David I). The town thrived during these several hundred years from the production and sale of wool and cattle hides sold to merchants and industry in Flanders (then ruled by the Dukes of Burgandy) until the perfidious English conquered the town and then the port of Berwick effectively strangling this trade route and the abandonment of the town.
The producers of this video knew that the most important streets in this town were called Royal Street and Market Street. Further, that the busiest and most important market days occurred during the last week of July and the first of August. Lastly, that the church/cathedral in Roxburg was dedicated to…Saint James. They didn't reveal or didn't know that this important market, setting the financial base for the next entire year for all of Southern Scotland over several hundred years, was directly connected to Saint James' feast day.
My question. Was there a similar custom in Santiago or other parts of Galicia, or anywhere else for that matter dating from modern or historical times, of an all-important yearly market day around July 25? I know the cathedral in Santiago was supported historically, and in part, by that special tax raised all over Spain, a tax like many other, that is, not really appreciated by those far from Galicia. To anyones knowledge, was there a special celebration, market, or holiday beyond the festivities of July 25? Thank you for your interest.

PS Saint James plays but a very small part in this video though a small part of the cathedral was discovered, it may be seen here:

Sorry I can't help with your query @scruffy1 but, having visited Scotland (the highlands only) a few years ago and fallen in love with the country, I found this video and your post most interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Scruffy 1 - I inherited a book from my mother who was a genealogist. She's studied and lectured on Scotland / England and the Borderlands. You should see if you can find a book called "The Steel Bonnets" The story of the Anglo-Scottish Border Reivers. By George Macdonald Fraser. It's an amazing book of the history of this very period. I just read that there were several towns burned and Roxburgh was one. I absolutely loved this Discover Episode and thanks so very much for posting it. I don't have an answer to your question.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Scruffy1 -- I can't answer your question. But I loved you post of the time team video. We lived in London for part of the year in 2013 and became addicted to that show! Watching the video brought back good memories!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back