• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An in-betweener Hotels and Alberques

Rmcgwn

Time of past OR future Camino
nADA
May 2016 I walked from Leon to Santiago. Mid April and Mid May 2018 I plan to walk SJPP to Leon in two sections perhaps SJPP to Burgos in April then Burgos to Leon in May. In 2016 I did the hotel's only with a spanish tour company. I found myself alone almost all of the time. This time I want to do things differently. I want to walk less with having to reach a hotel and stopping early if I want or need to. Also I want more interaction with fellow pilgrims because staying in hotels to some degree separates you from the others. But I love the comforts of a private bath and prefer quiet evenings after dinner alone. I also need my suitcase. I am not a minimalist. So I thought maybe I could figure out a way to say ship my suitcase ahead maybe 2 or 3 days to a hotel that I book. Arrange for them to hold my suitcase for 2 or 3 days based on my confirmed booking. The other nights I could book the night before or maybe 1 day ahead in private Alberques that have private rooms but not all the comforts I like. As a last resort if I want to stop I stay in any alberque available. Knowing that in 2 or 3 days I will have a hotel room and my suitcase. Has anyone done their Camino in this way and what was your experience? Any suggestions as this is a major concern to me.

The people I spoke to were usually working at hotels. I speak Spanish at an intermediate level. I would love to walk with Spanish speakers but I didn't see a lot on the Camino. I have no idea how I could get to walk with Spanish Speakers that may want to also practice English. I thought last time posting something on the back of my backpack to say "Would love to walk with Spanish Speakers". But I thought it might look weird. How could I meet Spanish pilgrims that want to share love of language?

I was really alone a lot last time. I had audio ebooks to listen to which helped. I did meet up with groups but lots of them started at SJPP and their groups were their family on the Camino. I didn't feel they wanted new members for the long haul. And as a senior female despite being fit and energetic younger people and couples didn't seem to encourage extended conversation. And besides at times I loved walking days on my own. Tough balance.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can’t answer your queries from experience but hoping someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to do so. I can’t see why you can’t do what you want to do especially as you can speak a good level of Spanish. Have to say as an older female pilgrim I loved mixing it up. I stayed mostly in municipals or parochials, both of which suited me very well, and when I needed a big towel night I got a private room. I carried my pack so had a bit more flexibility than travelling with a suitcase. But those luggage transfer services are very good. They do transfer from albergue to albergue. Buen camino.

If you want the true Camino experience then I suggest starting at St Jean. As you’ve already highlighted, this is where people establish their “Camino Family”. Excitement is high as for many it is their first time and people will gravitate to you as you have experience of walking the Camino before.

At each Albergue you can forward your suitcase to the next Albergue. Some Albergues have a hotel attached (aka Puente la Reina). So you can experience being with other pilgrims and then retire to the comfort of your hotel room.

Hope that helps.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
May 2016 I walked from Leon to Santiago. Mid April and Mid May 2018 I plan to walk SJPP to Leon in two sections perhaps SJPP to Burgos in April then Burgos to Leon in May. In 2016 I did the hotel's only with a spanish tour company. I found myself alone almost all of the time. This time I want to do things differently. I want to walk less with having to reach a hotel and stopping early if I want or need to. Also I want more interaction with fellow pilgrims because staying in hotels to some degree separates you from the others. But I love the comforts of a private bath and prefer quiet evenings after dinner alone. I also need my suitcase. I am not a minimalist. So I thought maybe I could figure out a way to say ship my suitcase ahead maybe 2 or 3 days to a hotel that I book. Arrange for them to hold my suitcase for 2 or 3 days based on my confirmed booking. The other nights I could book the night before or maybe 1 day ahead in private Alberques that have private rooms but not all the comforts I like. As a last resort if I want to stop I stay in any alberque available. Knowing that in 2 or 3 days I will have a hotel room and my suitcase. Has anyone done their Camino in this way and what was your experience? Any suggestions as this is a major concern to me.

The people I spoke to were usually working at hotels. I speak Spanish at an intermediate level. I would love to walk with Spanish speakers but I didn't see a lot on the Camino. I have no idea how I could get to walk with Spanish Speakers that may want to also practice English. I thought last time posting something on the back of my backpack to say "Would love to walk with Spanish Speakers". But I thought it might look weird. How could I meet Spanish pilgrims that want to share love of language?

I was really alone a lot last time. I had audio ebooks to listen to which helped. I did meet up with groups but lots of them started at SJPP and their groups were their family on the Camino. I didn't feel they wanted new members for the long haul. And as a senior female despite being fit and energetic younger people and couples didn't seem to encourage extended conversation. And besides at times I loved walking days on my own. Tough balance.

You can find many private Albergue that offer single/double rooms with your own bath and be among fellow pilgrims

Try Hostals too

I just did SJPDP to Leon in July 2017 and I will look for my list that had single ( or double rooms that you stay in as a single and pay more) if you wish

Most transport companies have a circa 25-30 K limit when transporting a bag in one day. You may be able to arrange a longer segment at extra cost. Another option would be to book hotels close to post office. There is a service by Correos which allows you to send a bag ahead...it takes 3 days. So if you send it ahead every four days you would be able to pick up the bag locally. Caution...in some of the smaller towns the offices are only open in the mornings. However, in the larger towns, many have afternoon hours. You could pick it up at the post office and then bring it with you a short distance. You would need to drop it off before leaving so if you want to depart early this may not work for you.
http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/el-camino-con-correos.php
Check out PAC PEREGRINO. This service is available all year whereas thesending of a bag from accommodation to accommodation starts in April, with the exception starting in OCebriero to Santiago.

re luggage transport: because of food allergies, I carried my backpack AND met up with my small suitcase (food/supplements) every 3-4 days. I had the suitcase transported by Correos, for which I paid something like 150 euros to cover the entire route SJPDP to Santiago. In other words, you pay for the distance, not for the number of stops. Of course this meant having to book ahead. I met the suitcase at hotels in the larger towns, and made sure it was clear on the transport label that the suitcase should be held for my arrival on x date. I also called each hotel ahead of time to confirm that they would be okay holding the bag until I got there. Speaking with Correos on the phone, and with hotel staff, was always fine (in English or French, as alas I speak no Spanish). There was only one snafu, but I've already forgotten where that was! Oh, if you DO start in SJPDP you have to use an alternate transport service as basically you can't make arrangements with Correos until Pamplona. But your plan has precedent :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

In 2016, I met my husband in Leon. He started in SJPP. Because of a health condition I knew I needed to sleep at the end of a day. I wasn't sure I could do this in an albergue. So I booked hostels/hotels through MACS Adventure. All accommodations were good to excellent. I also had my bags transported which MACS also arranged. In 2017, we did the CdP. We had a reservation for every 3rd night in a hotel. That way, I had the experience of the albergues. In only two instances, did we not have a private room in the albergues. I carried my bag in '17, but won't do that in '18. It was much harder for me. I am 70, in excellent physical condition, but with Lyme Disease I must watch my limits.

Spanish speakers: I took a year of Spanish before I went on my Camino in September/October. I am going to take intermediate Spanish in the spring semester. My Spanish is terrible, but I tried to practice whenever I had a chance. I was fortunate enough to have spent several days with native Spanish speakers. It was a great experience. I got to practice my Spanish, and they practiced their English (although they were already pretty fluent). English did seem to be the predominant language with the people I met and walked with even though they were from many different countries. I thought about seeking out native Spanish speakers, but I just let natural selection takes it course. I would not have changed anything. I enjoyed the variety of people I met. This next comment is meant to be silly and sarcastic, so please keep it in that context without being offended: "Conversation wanted ... Spanish speakers only need apply":confused:

Camino Family: I walked into Santiago with about a dozen people, 4 of which I met the 1st night in Orisson, but we did not walk the entire Camino together. The friends I met were spread out along the Camino. They were in front of me, behind me, and with me. Some I never saw again (in front of or behind me), but maintain contact through facebook etc. It was great to greet the ones that walked in behind me, and to be greeted by the ones that were in front of me. Sometimes we were days apart (some took buses or trains). I met people throughout my Camino, although the strongest relationships were established in the first 2/3 of the Camino (the relationships had time to mature).

I understand the need for solitude, but that may conflict with the socializing that takes place after dinner. I usually had my quiet time early in the morning on the trail, and sought out other peregrinos afterward. I met many peregrinos at my 2nd breakfast, lunch, washing clothes at the albergue, etc. and we hung out after dinner until lights out. It was not a hard balance for me to strike. Try to be flexible, and open.

Buena Suerte!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If I can find the cash, I plan to use the forwarding of a bag and then carry a small day pack for my next Camino. Unfortunately, right now I doubt that I will be able to return for a third walk.

I must saw your idea looks very complicated and time consuming to me. Also, the more you stay in the same type of accommodation, the more often you will meet up with the same kind of people and perhaps become friendly with them. Perhaps it is worth getting out of your comfort zone and just try not to "need your suitcase"? Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi @Rmcgwn, I see that this is your first post. I hope that you find the replies and the different perspectives helpful.

Your reflections on the advantages/disadvantages of tour companies and hotels are interesting. I've met many people who used a tour company for their first Camino, but found the fixed itineraries to be a bit restrictive. From what you say in your post, it sounds like you're right to take a more independent approach next time.

As others have said, you can pre-book accommodation and arrange luggage transfers without using a tour company. To simplify things, I'd suggest that you consider just sending your bag on a daily basis, rather than 2 or 3 days ahead. But if you need to stick with that model, @hillwalker 's advice will be very helpful.

Re. meeting other pilgrims, I agree with previous posts that albergues with private rooms might be the 'in-betweener' that you're looking for. I like albergues, my husband hates them, but we both agree that our most memorable experiences over the years have been in albergues. We have very happy memories of conversations at a communal meal, sitting in the sun or while doing laundry - this doesn't happen to the same extent (for us) in hotels. We've also made some very good friends from those albergue experiences.

I've also walked as a solo peregrina, staying in a mixture of albergues and private accommodation. The albergue nights provided the beginnings of conversations and connections, which were easily continued when I met those people again on the trail. I'm not really a 'Camino family' person, but it's nice to see familiar faces each day and to have people to chat with from time to time.

This is a good time of year to plan and reflect on Caminos past and future. You know that you want to do things differently next time - maybe you're ready to step a little further out of your comfort zone? I'm a planner and scheduler by nature, but with each Camino I've gradually learned to embrace the pure joy of wandering without a fixed itinerary. I still make a few bookings if needed, but mostly just a day or two ahead.

I can't really advise on your question re. Spanish speakers - but I remember a thread here some years ago about an English-speaking group in Pamplona that welcomed pilgrims. I can't find that thread, but wonder if it was about this group. Maybe someone else here will know. On a different but related note, learning a few Basque phrases will really endear you to those from that region. My Spanish is very poor and my Basque is next to non-existent, but my efforts this year with Basque greetings were disproportionately appreciated by locals and Basque pilgrims!

Happy planning and Buen Camino!
Nuala

For more info re transfering luggage from Saint Jean Pied de Port, France across the border to Roncesvalles, Spain and further see http://www.expressbourricot.com/luggage-transport/

mspath...you always have a wealth of sites for people to access the information they need. You are greatly appreciated by the followers of this site. Your knowledge and commitement to assisting others is a godsend for those of us feeling our way around initial walks on the various Caminos. Thank you

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back