• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An in-depth review of the Osprey Exos 48 backpack

gregdedman

I noticed that there were many requests for gear recommendations on these forums and so I thought I would share my experience with the Osprey Exos 48 litre pack as a possible choice for your own camino.

k1tg1e.jpg
15i68zt.jpg
2j26q6a.jpg

The link below take you to my dropbox where you can download a long, honest review with photography where I have attempted to share each and every quirky feature, some of it's selling points as well as it's practical uses on the trail.
The file is 43mb so was too large to upload as an attachment here I'm afraid.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wzw56jt6lfpc96/Exos review with photos.pdf?dl=0

My background includes 3 Camino de Santiago walks, the John Muir Trail in the U.S.A., several years as a hike guide and manager of an outdoor shop and not forgetting a contributing writer on the practical guide book 'Your Camino'.

I hope some of you find it useful and if you have any feedback, questions then do let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Buen Camino
Greg

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Greg thanks for the review of the 48 it seems that they have listened to the complaints about the 46 and bought out an even better backpack. I have used the original a few times and really like it, apart from when I start to put in excess of 9 kg in it and the straps start to dig in but it seems that has been addressed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Mike,
That was my hope and to see they have over-addressed was a relief. The new straps and hips are wonderfully comfortable now.

Greg. I walked with this pack (sorry I couldn't access your review). It sat perfectly well on me.

My only (potential) complaint about it would be that I would have to repack every morning to have my sleeping bag in the bottom so as to have heavier items higher up. - Maybe they have changed this?

annelise

I have the previous Exos 46 and hated it, sure it was light, but that's about it, the mesh on the lower frame wore through at the hip, and the mesh on the hip belt pockets wore through rubbing against the frame. Maybe I should send it back to Osprey since they have a lifetime guaranty.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you Gregdedman for sharing your experience. Nearly weared out my old Exos 58 I have been looking at the new one. I noticed that my favourite outside zip pockets were missing. Very good for raingear!
On my short camino from Porto this year I used a 66 Osprey Zena. I think the shoulder straps might be the same as the new Exos and yes - my shoulders hurt less. But the straps dried slowly, becoming wet from sweat or rain, and so did the backside, so I missed my old Exos now and then.
Randi

Hi everyone,

Annelise, you're right, the top loading of these packs can be a pain, I guess I just got used to the routine. Besides, for the lightweight hiker, I guess it is thought that you wouldn't have too many items anyway. In my experience, once I unpacked the tent, put all my clothes into a dry bag for a pillow, changed into night clothes and got the sleeping mat and bag out....there was nothing else in the bag anyway.
The bottom of the bag does have sleeping mat/bag straps to allow you to attach it to the outside though.
Also, when it comes to heavier items it is advised to pack them a little lower, kind of in the small of your back if possible.

t5k3uf.jpg
Sorry you couldn't access the review. If you would like a copy, PM me your email and ill send it to you.

Bajaracer, hate is a very strong word. These packs do have some incredibly useful, well thought out features for the thru-hiker that other packs just don't have, one example is the weight. My first camino I used a Berghaus freeflow 50 litre and I love it, it's still with me but it's something like 300g heavier at 1.4kg. That's just too much in my opinion when every gram or ounce is important.
That being said, yes, the hip mesh on mine wore down like yours, I contacted them and they repaired it and returned it within the week. You should do the same.
The new pack has this problem addressed.
If you look closely at the photo where the old and new are side by side you can see the differences. The new pack has done away with the meshing around the hips in favour of light padding. I'm assuming this is because of such a complaint. I can see from having the pack in hand that this is going to be way more comfortable on the hips and shoulders.
2j26q6a.jpg

Ranthr, you're right, sadly the side zip pocket is no more....only Osprey can tell us why as it was a great addition. There is still that front mesh pocket for raingear through.

Last edited:
Hate is too strong of a word, more like I was disappointed with the mesh chafing through the lower frame and the hip belt pocket mesh that wore through due to rubbing on the "wings" on the lower part of the frame. This pack was way too big for what I carried, I could have gotten away with a 25L pack.
It's good to see Osprey correct the issues that plagued my pack.
My new pack for future Caminos is a Gregory Z30. For me, this is the lightest and smallest pack with a decently padded full width hip belt and shoulder straps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It appears to weight 1.2 kg. Is that correct?

The Gregory Z30 is 1.08kg for the medium (which I own) and 1.16kg for the large.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi greg, your dropbox link seems broken. I'm really interested iny our review. Could you check it :)

I noticed that there were many requests for gear recommendations on these forums and so I thought I would share my experience with the Osprey Exos 48 litre pack as a possible choice for your own camino.

k1tg1e.jpg
15i68zt.jpg
2j26q6a.jpg

The link below take you to my dropbox where you can download a long, honest review with photography where I have attempted to share each and every quirky feature, some of it's selling points as well as it's practical uses on the trail.
The file is 43mb so was too large to upload as an attachment here I'm afraid.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wzw56jt6lfpc96/Exos review with photos.pdf?dl=0

My background includes 3 Camino de Santiago walks, the John Muir Trail in the U.S.A., several years as a hike guide and manager of an outdoor shop and not forgetting a contributing writer on the practical guide book 'Your Camino'.

I hope some of you find it useful and if you have any feedback, questions then do let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Buen Camino
Greg

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.