A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

COVID An infected pilgrim in a group of 17 goes on as if nothing happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.

amancio

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
disturbing news from Arzúa-Palas de Rei

A Spanish pilgrim, a woman from Madrid, was walking the camino in a group of 17 (seriously???? in these days you make a group of 17 pilgrims for doing the Camino?????). She had not been feeling great for a few days, goes to health center in Palas de rei, takes a PCR test and, instead of waiting for results, she just keeps going as if nothing.

She happens to be positive in COVID-19, so they stop her in Arzua, her and the whole group, and now they have to start tracing fellow pilgrims for putting them in preventive quarantine.
I cannot believe how easy we are making things for this stupid virus!!! I feel furious at the moment.

amancio

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
It could happen anywhere, but if you are a sensible caring person, you do not let this happen. No, you do not keep walking despite having all the symptoms of COVID. Can you imagine how her fellow pilgrims must be feeling now?

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
It could happen anywhere, but if you are a sensible caring person, you do not let this happen. No, you do not keep walking despite having all the symptoms of COVID. Can you imagine how her fellow pilgrims must be feeling now?
In my honest opinion the whole group is as quilty as the Pilgrim with the symptoms.

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Not that I know of although in bars/restaurants/terrasses the limit is 10.

Cheers @LTfit . I just checked what the situation is in Belgium regarding non organised walking.
  • met je eigen sociale bubbel met contact, dat wil zeggen met maximum 5 personen naast je gezin (kinderen onder de 12 jaar worden niet meegerekend). Weet ook dat je maar met maximum 10 personen mag samenkomen (kinderen onder de 12 jaar worden niet meegerekend) zowel op privédomein als op openbaar domein. Dus bijvoorbeeld 2 gezinnen met telkens 2 ouders en 3 kinderen boven de 12 jaar mogen samenkomen in bijvoorbeeld een tuin of op straat om te sporten.
      • OF met max. 10 andere personen zonder contact, met hen respecteer je de afstands- en hygiënerichtlijnen

arthur1218

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Tortuga
Is there a limit in Spain in how many people can participate in one group for sports and walking?
Guys, you must know the expression: "the Camino Family" ;). There's no limit on the number of family members walking together, and if I'm not wrong, they don't have to wear masks to protect from each other...

On a serious note, Spain (also Italy) is a Covid's paradise. The locals are virtually unable to walk 1 meter from each other, refrain from touching, hugging, kissing on the cheek, talking superloudly spreading the virus left and right, etc. Oh, and I'm sure this "Camino Family" kept closing the windows tightly in the albergues every night so that the virus had a maximum chance to infect everyone in the group.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
I hope at least they feel embarressed about walking out in a group of 17 in the first place! :rolleyes:
I think her 16 companions will be feeling a lot more emotions than "embarrassed"!!
I can think of a few!

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
My thoughts exactly. Is there a limit in Spain in how many people can participate in one group for sports and walking? Covid restrictions?
There is a limit in Spain of 10 people in the same table, but as far as I know there isn't limit for walking if they wear mask and keep the distance.

cathietherese

Catherine Davis
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP - Finistere May/June 2012
Le-Puy-en-Velay to Cahors/ June 2019
Sad news, unfortunately the failure for humans to recognise that this virus is indiscriminatory is not the preserve of Spanish [or Italian] people, or any ethnic group.
For myself, I wonder if/when some of official public health management systems for Covid19 recognises emerging evidence about the virus suggesting"Covid 19 is about more than Death" for some people first thought to have 'recovered'.
Perhaps the risk of long term damage to quality of life for individuals of all ages might curtail such reckless behaviour.
I pray that harsh long term effects are not the case for this person, her 'group' and the wider cluster from the grave exponential risk this example will have caused.
Stay safe everyone, folow the arrow/guidelines for protecting everyone not just yourself and may we travel safely wherever we are. Catherine.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
So far, 8 more of this group have been "blessed" with CovID:

Sad behaviour...

Edit: Imagine what strain these people put on the health care in a country already overloaded with contamination? And the risk they have represented to the locals on their way, elderly in particular...

Last edited:

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
She had not been feeling great for a few days,
Great. Which means she was probably shedding viruses since at leat Sarria if not days before.
Social irresponsibility? Wishful thinking? Simple obliviousness or the 'It won't happen to me' mind?
Who knows why this person did what they did - there's no telling. All we can do is to not follow their terrible example.

Bristle boy

If not now...when? If not you...who?...........
Camino(s) past & future
I question the wisdom of being on Camino in another country this year.
Whilst the symptoms were indicative of Covid in this case and continuing was irresponsible in the extreme...many cases are asymptomatic and the virus spread (if untested) unknowingly.
Spain has enough to deal with at the moment and it needs everyone to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
The pilgrim in question was in her own country, for whatever that's worth. Both linked articles above say she is from Madrid.
Just taking up the thread from here. I am often trying to understand what happened and why people acted the way they did, even when obviously foolishly imo. We will never know ... were these 17 people a randomly assembled camino family, a pre-established group where everyone belonged to the same club or association or a group formed as clients of the same travel agency? Did the woman just walk on as if nothing had happened? I see that Palas de Rei to Ribadiso (Arzúa) is una etapa - was it the place where a booked room was waiting for her on that day? And as to the 8 other people who apparently tested positive in the group - who knows who infected whom? I'm not excusing the behaviour, just thinking about what possibly happened.

Edited to add: Turns out that the woman didn't walk at all on camino after she had had the test (see post in this thread further down the line.

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
Of course, in this case the person had already progressed to the stage where you go for a PCR test. And then you stay put where while you wait for the result?
I went back to look at the article: the peregrina received the test result on the day she had the test, in the evening, a few hours after the test. Now I wonder how she got so quickly - within a few hours - from Palas de Rei to Arzua which is after all nearly 30 km. Did she have transport to get to a booked room? Was she perhaps less irresponsible than we think?

Edited to add: Turns out that the woman didn't walk at all on camino after she had had the test (see post further down the line).

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Did she have transport to get to a booked room? Was she perhaps less irresponsible than we think?
Sheesh. The online article in the national ABC newspaper that is linked at the beginning of this thread is based on an article in the regional Diario de Pontevedra. This is what this original source actually wrote (Google translation):

Last Monday, a 53-year-old pilgrim from Madrid who was doing the Camino with a group of 17 people appeared at the PAC health station in Palas de Rei stating that she has a fever and had felt unwell for two days. From there, the woman was transferred to the HULA hospital in Lugo for a PCR test, where a sample was taken around noon. Although she had to remain isolated until the test result (it turned out to be positive) was communicated to her, which happened in the late evening, the woman was already in Arzúa by that time where it is believed that she has a family home in which she must now stay until the end of her quarantine.
So this appears to be the story: A woman was walking on camino, about 500 km from her home. One day she did not feel well. The next morning, she still did not feel well and had a fever. She went to a local health provider. She was taken to a hospital in the nearest large town and had a Covid-19 test around noon. She was told to stay isolated until she knew the test result. She had herself taken to a nearby place where family lives. In the evening, she learnt that she had tested positive and she remains now in quarantine at her family's home. The End.

Last edited:

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
It is simple but people are selfish and have no self control whatsoever. I have waited long I have to walk or some other blah blah. There is no excuse, no risk worth taking especially something like this. Even if you are asymptomatic or your walking "inspired" someone else to walk because you didn't get the virus. How do you know that being asymptomatic you didn't infect the old woman in the grocery store in Galicia, or the kid with multiple morbidities as you sat on a bench and he walked by, or the person sitting next to you on your flight home. The number of people we come in contact with especially if you are out daily becomes astronomical after a while. Give me a break. NO ONE SHOULD BE WALKING NOW, PERIOD, END OF SENTENCE!!!!!!!!

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(10,11,17), Vasco(12), Salvador(13), CP(13), CN(14), Madrid (16), Mozarabe (18), VdlP(19)
There are many differing opinions in this thread. It has been interesting to watch it evolve as we added facts to the story.

Terms like reasonable, common sense, responsibly, respectful etc. etc. are very subjective terms. When we use them we assume others define them the same as we do. That, imo, is very unlikely. Most of us in operate in our own little bubbles where we justify or rationalize our actions to meet our own needs.

I am not trying to justify anyone's actions. That said, I also do not think we can make broad statements based on our own opinions.

Each country and it's citizens needs to come up with plans to determine how this will be done and managed. These approaches will vary greatly. ie: New Zealands' approach versus Swedens.

Governance is like an umbrella. The governing body defines the size of the umbrella and penalties of operating outside its' coverage. No umbrella will ever make everyone happy.

The virus is among us. We have to learn to live with it.

Good health to all.

Last edited:

AlexB

Camino(s) past & future
Francés
I read the article in the paper too and she (53 years old) had symptoms of Covid and kept walking. I think both the group for not noticing and her for having symptoms and keep walking. Now they are in quarantine and officials are tracing back all the people they may have contact with. This is one of issues we may find doing the Camino nowadays.

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
The thread may be reopened later, after more facts about the case are known.
At this moment there are some conflicting reports concerning the actual circumstances.
We have had requests to close the thread for a time to allow the situation to become more clear.

Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 29.0%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock