• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An interesting article

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you, @Bristle Boy . This fits in nicely, with the MOOC course @jungleboy alerted us all to.
I quote from the article:
TS Eliot captured it best in Little Gidding, written after his visit – not intended as a pilgrimage, though he was a Christian – to the church that once stood at the centre of a high-minded, 17th-century Anglican religious community in the Cambridgeshire countryside. “You would have to put off/ Sense and notion. You are not here to verify,/ Instruct yourself, or inform curiosity/ Or carry report. You are here to kneel/ Where prayer has been valid.”
The facts,
incontrovertible (don't you love that word!) tell us that everywhere, in every place, people cause commerce. That does not take away from the intention that people put into whatever they do. Let us celebrate the prospering of the regions and the individuals who managed to not only exist but make life comfortable for their families and friends. Not to mention the pilgrims, who, having bought the bric a brac associated with the arrival in Santiago, then displayed them at home as proof of having reached their destination.
I think the main thing for me is this, both in reaction to your article, and to the course from Universidad de Santiago, is that if I were 20 years younger, I would try to set off from Roncesvalles and return there. Just because.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Indeed, as Kirkie said above "Just Because"

For those who ask why ?

One answer is "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."
Pascal, Les Pensées

Last edited:
This article may be of interest and discussion.

Thanks for article BB.

I place feet on path for respite and refreshment.

Too, for adventure, seeing another culture in real time, hearing a language I often hear in both Los Angeles and New York yes, but in Spain that’s the idioma.

I relish the quiet reflection and discussion of life shared with other pilgrims on their journey within as we walk, dine, attend Mass, laugh and cry.

Between virus and caregiving it’s going to take a few miracles to step on the path again: praying.

Buen camino to we all: soon, real soon.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I decided to walk The Camino after I discovered all the history behind it. So, it was a tourist attraction that first got me thinking about The Camino. Then when I read that St. Francis walked The Camino de Santiago, I knew I had to walk it, too. But on the way to Santiago I had so many religious experiences on The Camino that I was convinced that there is something to this ancient path. I came back the the USA with my faith completely restored. My body was pretty beat up, but my mind was completely refreshed.

I initially walked the Camino because a friend gave me a book detailing a Camino from Le Puy to SDC, and then my parish priest said, "If you can...go!" I did, and everything began to change in my life. I found new friends, experiences, physical pain, and a new way forward. None of my Caminos have been the same. Not only because the Camino itself was different (CF, CP, CI) but because my inner focus changed. Early on, I started writing a factional novel. Later on, I hoped to find someone outside my usual circle of friends. I did finish the story and discovered that I found that treating myself better might be the honest answer rather than seeing that special someone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It was a good article, although it could have used a little more fact-checking. For example, I noticed he wrote:

Meanwhile, the Spanish city has been formally paired with Japan’s 88-temple Buddhist pilgrim route on the island of Shikoku. It has seen a marked rise in numbers of “foreigner pilgrims” – gaijin henro – plenty of them Camino veterans. One couple, he American and she Japanese, who met on the route in Spain have opened a pilgrims’ hostel on Shikoku.

I believe the Japanese pilgrimage that is paired with the Camino is the Kumano Kodo rather than the Shikoku.

Early on, I started writing a factional novel
Arn, did you finish your novel and if so is it available online or do you have any extras laying around at home? I occasionally purchase books of personalized experiences on the Camino and when I am familiar with a forum member, their stories are all the more interesting to me.

That's a very well-written and perceptive piece, which perhaps should be the final word in the perennial "why we walk the Camino" discussion. Interesting that the author did not mention the significance of "The Way" in bringing attention to the Camino. Did the movie not screen outside the US?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"Did the movie not screen outside the US?" – It has been on BBC.

Interesting that the author did not mention the significance of "The Way" in bringing attention to the Camino. Did the movie not screen outside the US?

The Way did screen outside of the USA.

As why he did not mention it, I can think of two reasons.

1 The article is not just about the increasing popularity of the camino, but of pilgrimage in general.

2 The Way has been a factor explaining the increasing popularity of the camino, the extent of which probably being very different in different countries. Surely it has been influential in the USA, but let's keep things in perspective, as USA pilgrims make up only app. 5 % of pilgrims walking the Camino. For example, 40 % of pilgrims are Spanish and I doubt whether the Way is an important source of inspiration for them. In other countries (like Germany and South Korea) other books and developments made major contributions to the increasing popularity of the camino.

So, as the article was not written from an American perspective, it is understandable why The Way was not mentioned.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back