• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An international no pooping sign? Who knew?

BShea

Time of past OR future Camino
(9/2013) Le Puy
(5/2015) CF
(5/2016) Le Puy
(5/2017) CF
(9/2017) Le Puy
(9/2019) RL Stevenson
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I need one at the corner of my block!
No kidding!
I live in Portland, Oregon, in the city.
Two mornings ago, I was standing at the window, drinking coffee.
A woman walked to the corner,
looked around,
then dropped her pants and well... yup!
Pulled up her pants, adjusted, and kept on walking.
I've now seen everything.
And things I didn't want to see.
So send me that sign please and I'll put it up across the street!

On my way up to Samos, I came to one village with about four of these signs. Talk about overkill! All they had to do was to erect some public toilets. Sooner or later it will be necessary for the authorities to tackle this problem all along the Camino and to mark them on the Guides as is done for water fountains.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also saw that bizarre sign in a town near Samos. And only there...
Due to its odd design someone wih a good sense of humour had written over it:
"No pooping AND dancing at the same time".
Funny.

I must admit that when I saw it a big grin appeared on my face. A similar one with a dog might be useful in the parks around here as some people still don't get it with the written signs.

There is no doubt that there is an increasing need for porta-potties along at least the Camino Frances. The problem with porta-potties is initial and ongoing cost and maintenance. They need to be serviced at least once weekly in the off-season and likely two or more times weekly in the summer, peak season.

This could be a net job creator along the Camino. But, who will subsidize the cost of these units? More importantly, who will pay to ensure that they are maintained in a useable condition, and repair them when they are vandalized?

If those issues can be sorted, then it is a matter of placing one or two of these units every "X" kilometers, in an unobtrusive location so they do not mar the appearance of the Camino.

But, IMHO unless they are adequately funded, and located near where a pumping truck can easily service them, the entire idea will fail.

My suggestion is to have nearby cafes or other commercial or community interests sponsor one or more, in return for advertising on the INSIDE of the unit(s). I am aware that here are also newer models with solar panels mounted on the top of the unit, powering lights inside and USB mobile phone charging outlets on the outside of the "box." But, that is a bit over-the-top...or maybe not...

It is just a thought...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wonder if anyone's considered pay-per-use toilets, and if they might work on the Camino. I believe here in Canada toilets such as these were outlawed way back in the 70's. Perhaps it's the same in Europe. Does anyone know? ........ Hmmmm, on second thought, that's probably not a good idea .... great target for vandalism. :(

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone's considered pay-per-use toilets, and if they might work on the Camino. I believe here in Canada toilets such as these were outlawed way back in the 70's. Perhaps it's the same in Europe. Does anyone know? ........ Hmmmm, on second thought, that's probably not a good idea .... great target for vandalization. :(

Yes, unfortunately, vandalism would be an issue.

One reason I'm packing an initial supply of my dogs' poop bags. So I can 'deal with' my own requirements if nature calls in inopportune places!
Yes it's somewhat unpleasant, but as my dad (a butcher) used to say "it's only sh../ Poop. Nothing a bucket of water won't wash off. If not me, who?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wonder if anyone's considered pay-per-use toilets, and if they might work on the Camino. I believe here in Canada toilets such as these were outlawed way back in the 70's. Perhaps it's the same in Europe. Does anyone know? ........ Hmmmm, on second thought, that's probably not a good idea .... great target for vandalism. :(
Certainly available in Spain, the one that comes to mind is in Oviedo bu the tourism kiosk. On the Primitivo a wônderful farmer has built a little place to sit, rest, have a cold drink, and a loo with a mirror, toilet paper,mpapaer to dry your hands and a real toilet and sink. All for free. Dona Raquel is a true angle of the Camino. As it's on her property and not in the middle of nowhere I assume this keeps vandals away, but then again the primitivo has vending machines in rest areas here and there and they survive.

Not sure where to post this…moderators feel free to move to appropriate thread/topic.

This link has a ‘pooping’ article regarding some changes coming to Parks in the USA.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I also saw that bizarre sign in a town near Samos. And only there...
Due to its odd design someone wih a good sense of humour had written over it:
"No pooping AND dancing at the same time".
Funny.
Ok fellow pilgrims lets be clear what are you to do if mother nature calls?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Did you not read the article that @Lynne (USA/Crete Greece) posted in comment #11, just before your own comment #15 ??? The comment that caused this thread from 2015 to resurface?

The article says:

We ought to begin teaching backcountry users in nearly every location to pack out their poop with WAG bags (the acronym is for “waste alleviation and gelling”) or similar waste-disposal kits. Such kits usually include toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and special, double-layered bags you can poop directly into, complete with chemical crystals that render human waste inert and minimize the smell. (See below in this article for tips on how to use these kits in the backcountry.)
While this refers to wilderness walking in the USA, it ought to apply even more so to Camino walking in the cultivated/cultural landscape of Spain. Because the reasons for this change in advice are the same: too many people in the same space who poop outdoors and, more and more, they are unexperienced in outdoor walking and appropriate behaviour. So no more digging of cat holes to bury your waste and no more surface turds as the article calls it. Pack it in and pack it out all the Camino way. Easy to do on the Camino Francés, you don't have to carry it far, 5-10 km maximum to the next bar's toilets.

Last edited:
Not sure where to post this…moderators feel free to move to appropriate thread/topic. This link has a ‘pooping’ article regarding some changes coming to Parks in the USA.
You may want to ask the moderators by contacting them directly (use the "Report" button that you can see under each comment) to move your post to a thread of its own. In this current thread, people will mainly respond to the thread title and the photos in the first post but not to what this article aims to convey.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And here I thought Nathanael was just making a joke as he replied to the no pooping while dancing post...
I'm not easily disgusted and I even own the book "How to Shit in the Woods" that gets a mention on the forum from time to time. From what I've read on the forum from people who walked and from what I've seen myself - I walked at a time where there were more people walking than when you walked last summer I believe when the trail had had a respite of some 12+ months - the topic of Camino pilgrims and the habits of a considerable number of them - is no longer a joking matter.

We just saw the sign in Lorogño.
Amazing that some thing like this even needs to be said

Attachments

• 8F681285-E44C-4A5B-B533-76C434CE7112.jpeg
    8F681285-E44C-4A5B-B533-76C434CE7112.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm not easily disgusted and I even own the book "How to Shit in the Woods" that gets a mention on the forum from time to time. From what I've read on the forum from people who walked and from what I've seen myself - I walked at a time where there were more people walking than when you walked last summer I believe when the trail had had a respite of some 12+ months - the topic of Camino pilgrims and the habits of a considerable number of them - is no longer a joking matter.
I am sorry - but the no pooping while dancing sign is still funny and worthy of a joking response. But yes - I also do not enjoy walking along a trail littered with poop and toilet paper. And I don't think we should NEED signs that tell people not to poop along the trail (but yes - they are indeed necessary - but it would be nice if everyone realized pooping on the trail - except perhaps in an emergency that can't be helped - is not cool). Doesn't mean I can't have a sense of humor about the subject. And thank you Nathanael for making me giggle this morning (whether that was your intention or not)!

We just saw the sign in Lorogño.
Amazing that some thing like this even needs to be said
Peeing on the street or against buildings has become an issue in towns, especially during public events with many people participating in the event, or in places like Logroño with their touristic attractions (calle Laurel etc)

Pooping on the road or, when we other walkers are lucky, in a place at least a few yards to the left or right of the road and preferably not right next to a bench or in a nice picnic spot, has become an outdoors issue.

The reason is the same in both cases: There are now too many people doing this in a space that is shared by many others.

Last edited:
Generally, I attend to mother nature's call before I leave the albergue in the morning and at bars and cafes along the way. I've been on three Caminos so far with never a need to poop outside of a toilet (although once I will admit it came pretty close).

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back