• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An introduction to Ferrol

Yoga Girl

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016) Camino Portuguese
(2017) Ingles
(2018) Primitivo
If you’re thinking about doing the Camino Inglés (The English Way), this one’s for you. Anna over at the KilomEATers shares some history, architecture, local cuisine and practical tips on Ferrol in Galicia. This is a starting point for a shorter (6-8 day) Camino, which I might do in 2017. Enjoy!
http://thecaminoprovides.com/2016/01/12/an-introduction-to-ferrol/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you Laurie. I walked it in 6 days in September 2015. Stunning Camino. Would like to do it again. Maybe this March. Buen Camino :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you’re thinking about doing the Camino Inglés (The English Way), this one’s for you. Anna over at the KilomEATers shares some history, architecture, local cuisine and practical tips on Ferrol in Galicia. This is a starting point for a shorter (6-8 day) Camino, which I might do in 2017. Enjoy!
Not the most interesting town. Have been there a few times. But the start of a great camino.!
Get out of town as soon as possible and enjoy the rural area and far more interesting places like Pontedeume and Betanzos.

I did like Ferrol in a certain way. A town that not really has an old picturesque centre but has a working and living feel. I do like cities that you have to explore yourself. A city that makes you work for liking it....:)

i am doing the English Way in March and wondering if you are meant to start in Sarria or Ferrol??

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Laurie, interesting info on Ferrol but curious why it comes with ads.
Why indeed. Excellent question. If you're referring to the 4 small banners at the end of my or KilomEATers posts, they are there because we are using the free version of Wordpress to host our blogs. We bloggers love what we do, but don't get paid for it. I hope to find Camino related sponsors so that I can afford to upgrade my plan to be ad-free. Details:
http://thecaminoprovides.com/sponsorships/
If you have a Camino book, film, website, pilgrim-related, or other Camino service, consider sponsorship on The Camino Provides to support the work that I do. Then those random Wordpress ads will go away! :)

Not the most interesting town. Have been there a few times. But the start of a great camino.!
Get out of town as soon as possible and enjoy the rural area and far more interesting places like Pontedeume and Betanzos.
Thanks for the tip! I'm drawn more to A Coruña, but apparently that wouldn't be enough kilometers from Santiago to get a Compostela.
Does anyone know if I can start in Ferrol, walk a bit, then take a ferry across to A Coruña to continue the Camino from there? I love coastal towns and boats!

Thank you Laurie. I walked it in 6 days in September 2015. Stunning Camino. Would like to do it again. Maybe this March. Buen Camino :)
Purplesage, it sounds wonderful! Do you have photos?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
i am doing the English Way in March and wondering if you are meant to start in Sarria or Ferrol??
Well, you could start in either as both would qualify for a Compostela. Sarria is on the Camino Frances, so if you're doing the English Way, you'll want to start in Ferrol.

Why indeed. Excellent question. If you're referring to the 4 small banners at the end of my or KilomEATers posts, they are there because we are using the free version of Wordpress to host our blogs. We bloggers love what we do, but don't get paid for it. I hope to find Camino related sponsors so that I can afford to upgrade my plan to be ad-free. Details:
http://thecaminoprovides.com/sponsorships/
If you have a Camino book, film, website, pilgrim-related, or other Camino service, consider sponsorship on The Camino Provides to support the work that I do. Then those random Wordpress ads will go away! :)
I may be out of line here and perhaps a bit strong, and mods please do say if I am and edit at will… but Laurie, maybe think of a way whereby Ivar can benefit from the commercial entities…he is doing such an incredible job with this site that is helping thousands of pilgrims old and new; otherwise bloggers' ads are getting the benefit. I have loads of friends who have blogs and don't get paid for them. They do it for the sheer love of writing. We are inundated with ads all around us every day; I'd just rather not see them on this forum unless they are in Ivar's advertising section….

I may be out of line here and perhaps a bit strong, and mods please do say if I am and edit at will… but Laurie, maybe think of a way whereby Ivar can benefit from the commercial entities…he is doing such an incredible job with this site that is helping thousands of pilgrims old and new; otherwise bloggers' ads are getting the benefit. I have loads of friends who have blogs and don't get paid for them. They do it for the sheer love of writing. We are inundated with ads all around us every day; I'd just rather not see them on this forum unless they are in Ivar's advertising section….
Maggie, I'm not sure what you're getting at. What ads are you seeing? Did I miss something?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Laurie, I'll send you a PM, rather than take up forum space going into a different topic….
Thanks! At times I'm confused by this forum.
I see tons of ads on this forum to the point of it being hard to use on an iphone and even on my laptop. Even with my small donation, I still see ads and a big donate button.

Thanks! At times I'm confused by this forum.
I see tons of ads on this forum to the point of it being hard to use on an iphone and even on my laptop. Even with my small donation, I still see ads and a big donate button.
Perhaps one of the mods can explain it better, but depending on how you donate to this forum, will determine the amount of ads you see and for how. I wasn't referring to those, only to those that appear in individual posts…..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When anyone posts a link to an external site, such as their personal blog, there can be ads, depending on their blogging account. That seems unavoidable to me as many of our members have written very informative blogs and we want to hear about them. Even I have a link under my signature. However, weekly posts to promote traffic to an individual's blog and solicit support doesn't seem appropriate. (Edited to correct double negative.)

Last edited:
Thanks Maggie & C Clearly for trying to explain the forum. I still don't see any way the wordpress ads on my blog can appear here when I just post a brief text snippet, link and occasional photo. Now if only the flashing ads would go away with donations. How much does one need to donate for this forum to be ad-free? This can turn into an expensive hobby. :)

Your ads don't appear here. Only when one follows the link. As a donating member I don't get any flashing ads at all. The information about donating to support this forum is here on the site. I can't say exactly where because I'm on my phone and it could be different.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Maggie & C Clearly for trying to explain the forum. I still don't see any way the wordpress ads on my blog can appear here when I just post a brief text snippet, link and occasional photo. Now if only the flashing ads would go away with donations. How much does one need to donate for this forum to be ad-free? This can turn into an expensive hobby. :)
Laurie I just sent a message to your personal mailbox, rather than take up forum space.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back