• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino An Irish Camino: The Dingle Way

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
Started my third Camino to Santiago in 4 years from Ireland. This one beginning on the Dingle Way from Tralee, surprised me with its connection to The Camino. In medieval times pilgrims from Ireland would walk to St. James Church in Dingle and set sail for Coruña and walk the Ingles Way( Or should we call it the “Irish” Way.)

In 1992, a pewter scallop shell with a bronze-gilded statue of St James attached and mounted on a brooch was found in Ardfert Cathedral – only a few kilometres from Tralee. This was most likely a pilgrim’s badge brought back from the Camino de Santiago and, when found in a grave, suggests that the person had been a pilgrim to the apostle’s burial place in Santiago.

Setting out this morning at 8:00 and immediately experiencing and feeling these strong connections to The Camino de Santiago made for a most joyous beginning. The walk begins at St. John’s Church in Tralee and you take the back entrance through beautiful Tralee Park with many bright roses and other flowers. The posted signs are calling it the Kerry Camino. Am happy I brought my Irish Camino Society Credentials as they have stamps on this Camino.60517

The first day was from Tralee to Camp. About 20K with the majority of the walk in the hills overlooking Tralee Bay. Staying at a pleasant B&B (Finglas) hosted by the very friendly Kathleen Daly. Good pub food across the street at James Ashe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Started my third Camino to Santiago in 4 years from Ireland. This one beginning on the Dingle Way from Tralee, surprised me with its connection to The Camino. In medieval times pilgrims from Ireland would walk to St. James Church in Dingle and set sail for Coruña and walk the Ingles Way( Or should we call it the “Irish” Way.)

In 1992, a pewter scallop shell with a bronze-gilded statue of St James attached and mounted on a brooch was found in Ardfert Cathedral – only a few kilometres from Tralee. This was most likely a pilgrim’s badge brought back from the Camino de Santiago and, when found in a grave, suggests that the person had been a pilgrim to the apostle’s burial place in Santiago.

Setting out this morning at 8:00 and immediately experiencing and feeling these strong connections to The Camino de Santiago made for a most joyous beginning. The walk begins at St. John’s Church in Tralee and you take the back entrance through beautiful Tralee Park with many bright roses and other flowers. The posted signs are calling it the Kerry Camino. Am happy I brought my Irish Camino Society Credentials as they have stamps on this Camino.View attachment 60517

The first day was from Tralee to Camp. About 20K with the majority of the walk in the hills overlooking Tralee Bay. Staying at a pleasant B&B (Finglas) hosted by the very friendly Kathleen Daly. Good pub food across the street at James Ashe.
Keep posting. I always enjoy your reports. Enjoy. Buen Camino Irlandés.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Setting out this morning at 8:00 and immediately experiencing and feeling these strong connections to The Camino de Santiago made for a most joyous beginning. The walk begins at St. John’s Church in Tralee and you take the back entrance through beautiful Tralee Park with many bright roses and other flowers. The posted signs are calling it the Kerry Camino. Am happy I brought my Irish Camino Society Credentials as they have stamps on this Camino.View attachment 60517

Your post was such good timing! I plan on doing the Camino Kerry next May, and was just talking with a fellow pilgrim about it yesterday about perhaps having him join me. I'll follow up with the Camino Inglese from Coruña. I knew that there was a credencial available - from where did you pick yours up?

Your post was such good timing! I plan on doing the Camino Kerry next May, and was just talking with a fellow pilgrim about it yesterday about perhaps having him join me. I'll follow up with the Camino Inglese from Coruña. I knew that there was a credencial available - from where did you pick yours up?
The Camino Society Credential can be purchased at St. James Church on James Street next to the Guinness Factory. It is only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The cost is €10 but the money is used to support various Camino causes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kathleen is wonderful, we greatly enjoyed her hospitality when we walked the Dingle back in 2016. Very pleased to hear that she is doing well!

B

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

How many miles is it from Dingle to Santiago ?

Check out a book called 'Tóchar' by Darach McDonald. It is a travel book tracing the ancient 'Caminos' around Ireland. A great read.
Thank you Paul. I will try to find this book. I am 67 and want to make a slower camino. I was a bit embarrassed on Facebook when I asked if anyone had such planned routes. But if I keep it under 10 miles a day, I can do it. Also cannot afford group tours, so want to be rested and safe along the way. Thinking of l00 km first time.

I walked for 2 weeks before walking into Kerry from Clare on my way to Santiago and it was 3,000 kilometers more or less to Finisterre and Muxia. I would think Dingle Town to Santiago is about 2650K or so.
How many miles is it from Dingle to Santiago ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.