• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An observation

Calisteve

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Camino - Primitivo, Norte, Mozarabe
On the Ingles currently at Sigueiro and it occurred to me while walking this morning that, whilst being comparatively quiet, I've seen a lot more women walking the route than men. Not scientific and a limited sample, but by the end of today I've seen around 30 women and only 10 men. The numbers are 'skewed' by the women walking in pairs and groups of 3 (no similar groups of men) but still the disparity has been noticeable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ha - lies, damn lies and statistics, especially when based on a small sample. Did get me thinking though that experience on previous caminos supports the impression of more cases of women than men walking in pairs and threes. Almost guaranteed therefore thst i will see nothing but men tomorrow and then on to Muxia and Finisterre!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ha - lies, damn lies and statistics, especially when based on a small sample. Did get me thinking though that experience on previous caminos supports the impression of more cases of women than men walking in pairs and threes. Almost guaranteed therefore thst i will see nothing but men tomorrow and then on to Muxia and Finisterre!
Aside from the shorter length, how did you find the difficulty of the Ingles compared with the CF and PC?

Aside from the shorter length, how did you find the difficulty of the Ingles compared with the CF and PC?
Wouldn't say any of it was 'difficult' - although the climb out of Pontedeume was pretty challenging in that it is so steep. I did it last thing in the day and would hate to do it first thing in the morning but thats just me. It seemed to me that there were a lot fewer bars/cafes and water fountains. So the main challenge was ensuring coffee in the mornings and carrying plenty of water during the day. One morning I didn't find a bar until I'd walked 10 kms which dragged and dragged. The next day I made sure I got my Americano first thing and I flew along.

Well when I walked from Alicante to Cuenca this past March it was 50/50. Me being the female 50% contingent and one French male who I met one evening the other 50%;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wouldn't say any of it was 'difficult' - although the climb out of Pontedeume was pretty challenging in that it is so steep. I did it last thing in the day and would hate to do it first thing in the morning but thats just me. It seemed to me that there were a lot fewer bars/cafes and water fountains. So the main challenge was ensuring coffee in the mornings and carrying plenty of water during the day. One morning I didn't find a bar until I'd walked 10 kms which dragged and dragged. The next day I made sure I got my Americano first thing and I flew along.
Thanks. I will be leaving Pontedeume in the morning, so I'm forewarned. Is the climb on a path or a road?

Good advice - take it slowly. Maybe it seemed so bad to me because it was at the end of the day. Anyway it will soon be over!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for the info about the climb out of Pontedeume. My wife and I are doing the Ingles in September and that hill is in our mind. How long is the climb in time and distance. Regards Bruce and Margaret.

Bruce & Margaret - probably short and not long but it seemed a lot worse! It's all in town through narrow streets which seemed to make it a bit of a struggle. But that's me being a bit of a woos. You'll be fine although I'd recommend having a rest and drink before beginning!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No longer on the Ingles (I'm now walking to Muxia and then Finisterre) but on the same theme as my original observation. I'm in Dumbria at the amazing municipal albergue funded by the owner of Zara. It's full (the guidebook says 26 places) and there's a guy sleeping on the floor in the communal area. A quick count as I wander around suggests a ratio of something in the order of 20 women to 6 men. The added issue that there are 4 toilets - 2 for men and 2 for the ladies. So looks like the girls may well be queuing in the morning.

On the Ingles currently at Sigueiro and it occurred to me while walking this morning that, whilst being comparatively quiet, I've seen a lot more women walking the route than men. Not scientific and a limited sample, but by the end of today I've seen around 30 women and only 10 men. The numbers are 'skewed' by the women walking in pairs and groups of 3 (no similar groups of men) but still the disparity has been noticeable.
When I did the Ingles there did seem to be more women walking. However the thing I noticed was the large amount of Polish pilgrims.. Leaving at first light from Hospital De Bruma (Also a big hill), a large group of Polish pilgrims were walking and chanting. It felt a little weird in the dawn light in Late September.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No longer on the Ingles (I'm now walking to Muxia and then Finisterre) but on the same theme as my original observation. I'm in Dumbria at the amazing municipal albergue funded by the owner of Zara. It's full (the guidebook says 26 places) and there's a guy sleeping on the floor in the communal area. A quick count as I wander around suggests a ratio of something in the order of 20 women to 6 men. The added issue that there are 4 toilets - 2 for men and 2 for the ladies. So looks like the girls may well be queuing in the morning.
I'd be invading the men's room. That's a great albergue.

Bruce & Margaret - probably short and not long but it seemed a lot worse! It's all in town through narrow streets which seemed to make it a bit of a struggle. But that's me being a bit of a woos. You'll be fine although I'd recommend having a rest and drink before beginning!
Thank you.

Seriously, aren't the women ALWAYS queueing for los aseos?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back