• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An ounce of prevention...

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra '15; Levante-Invierno '19
I've been trying to increase my walking mileage lately as I start the VDLP in June. I noticed a little tenderness on the top of my left foot which I wondered about. Not what I would call pain or even discomfort just an awareness of that area. And I noticed it in certain shoes.
So I took myself off to the podiatrist to get an assessment. Now I have a weird walk. It's really bouncy and it has always been that way. Over the years on night shift, people have known I was coming down the hallway just from the sound of my walk. It's that distinct.
And the lovely Sophia checked out my runners, shook her head because I have two very different wear patterns on each feet, popped me on the treadmill to analyse my gait and found that I lift my left heel very high when I put my foot down so my poor midfoot gets squished. Which means that my lovely super comfy barefoot runners are not for walking long distances because they don't stop the squish because of the lack of support whereas my hiking shoes are stiffer and stop the worst of the compression.
So I have a couple of heel lifts in my shoes now. And I have to do calf stretches.
But at least I know now before my midfoot gets completely inflamed.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have also had my gait and feet analyzed, but it's been a few years. I know that my backbone's connected to my hip bone, and so on down the line. I have to keep weight down and my midsection strong to avoid back problems, which in turn, affect my feet. Thanks for your post and reminder that we are all unique.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
At least it makes the packing list easier! The Merrells now have been demoted to 'maybe' status.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.