• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An unexpected day in madrid

trafferty

I believe I'm ready for another adventure!
Time of past OR future Camino
june (2016)
I just realized my flight itinerary leaves me with a day in Madrid I wasn't expecting. I have no interest In the big modern city. Is there an old section or an outdoor marketplace I can visit? Is there a reasonably priced place to stay near it?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last year I stayed in the center of Madrid (Sol) at the Hostal Triana. It was clean, comfortable, great location, and around 40 Euros.
I took the free 3-hour Sandeman walking tour. Started at Plaza Mayor and saw a bunch of historical sights. I would highly recommend it. They ask for an optional donation at the end and I think most gave about 5 Euros. Well worth it for the sights and the history lesson.

I would second jcat's recommendation to stay towards the centre (Sol) of Madrid.
I really enjoyed the 'Prado', but then it is one of the world's great art galleries.
Regards
Gerard

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just realized my flight itinerary leaves me with a day in Madrid I wasn't expecting. I have no interest In the big modern city. Is there an old section or an outdoor marketplace I can visit? Is there a reasonably priced place to stay near it?
PRADO go to the PRADO!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
SOFIA REINA! Go to the SOFIA REINA!
Or perhaps Reina Sofia?

Honneslty, Madrid is far from being a "big modern city", after all it's been there for quite a while, even before any caucasian ever set foot in the Americas. So being from the new continent I would not worry about big and modern. NYC, it ain't, nor with the good or the bad. Just pick up a city map at the airport, get to your pension and walk around.

Or perhaps Reina Sofia?

Honneslty, Madrid is far from being a "big modern city", after all it's been there for quite a while, even before any caucasian ever set foot in the Americas. So being from the new continent I would not worry about big and modern. NYC, it ain't, nor with the good or the bad. Just pick up a city map at the airport, get to your pension and walk around.

Hahaha!
Yes REINA SOFIA!
I'm having one of those backwards days where my brain is foggy.
MCS strikes again! But at least you knew what I was talking about.

Last year I stayed in the center of Madrid (Sol) at the Hostal Triana. It was clean, comfortable, great location, and around 40 Euros.
I took the free 3-hour Sandeman walking tour. ...
Hmmmm, now you have me thinking Hostal Triana for my 2 Madrid nights instead of where I have booked in a 3-bed female room around the corner from Triana. It would cost me twice as much at Triana though!! But a private room. I took one of the free walking tours last trip, I 'd recommend it too. I am skipping the Prado again in favor of the another trip through Museo Reina Sofía and the Thyssen-Bornemisza.

Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum! The second largest private art collection in the world (second only to the English Royal Collection). Absolutely fabulous. Only the very best examples spanning 8 centuries of European art. IMO better than either the Prado or the Reina Sofia.

Look at the collection! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyssen-Bornemisza_Museum#The_collection

I would go to all three museums, but that would take three days. If I could only go to one I would chose the Thyssen.

I've stayed in the Triana for many years. It is clean , low cost and in a fantastic location. Loads to see and do.

The Cathedral and the Royal Palace
The Plaza Mayor and the adjacent market
The Prado of course but also Retiro Park with the boating pond and winter gardens
Many museums and galleries

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What would be considered acceptable attire to the galleries and museums?
I didn't have much choice of attire for my 3 days in Madrid but in general felt too casual in my Macabi (and would have felt even less in hiking pants). Not just in the museums. So this time I am bringing a very light knee length black skirt. That said, Madrid is filled with tourists wearing anything/everything...

I didn't have much choice of attire for my 3 days in Madrid but in general felt too casual in my Macabi (and would have felt even less in hiking pants). Not just in the museums. So this time I am bringing a very light knee length black skirt. That said, Madrid is filled with tourists wearing anything/everything...
Yes, and I am often taken aback by what 'tourists' wear. A soft skirt seems very doable, even on the Camino; thanks. Planning for 2017.

In Madrid I have stayed (at least 5 times) at the Urban Sea Atocha 113, located just a ten-minute walk from the Atocha train station at Calle Atocha 113 (surprise!). I felt very safe walking to the hotel the last time when I arrived at 10:30PM. Friendly, English-speaking staff, and clean & simple rooms. Short walk to Prado and Botanical Gardens, little longer walk up Atocha to the Plaza Mayor. A big modern European city is very different than a big modern American city.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, and I am often taken aback by what 'tourists' wear. A soft skirt seems very doable, even on the Camino; thanks. Planning for 2017.
I will also have a "dressier" very large scarf this year than the paro I took last time (though I did use it as a belt to "dress up").

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We stayed near the Prado on our last Camino. It's an expensive neighborhood to stay, but very nice. We saw the Prado, which was outstanding. But if you're looking for a relaxed time, wander through the huge Retiro park nearby. It's beautiful, you can take your time, and there's lots of opportunity for experiencing Madrid life at an un-rushed pace. Have some ice cream, sit under a tree, and watch life go by. We're staying somewhere less expensive this time, but still plan to take the Metro or Cercanias down to the Retiro park and unwind before our trip home the next day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I found a place through airbnb that was very reasonable (under e30) that was 2 blocks from REINA SOFIA. Enjoyed both the RS and the Prado. Will have to try the Thyssen-Bornemisz as Kanga suggested.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Lucky you!
I'll leave accommodation to others (there are lots of options, but Friday nights can be a bit noisy in some areas), but Madrid boasts three of the greatest Art Galleries in the world. Heartily endorse Kanga's recommendation for the Thyssen-Bornemisza if you are pressed for time and want a mind-boggling kaleidoscope of the history of art. But the Centro de Arte Reina Sofia houses Picasso's La Guernica which is a lifetime to see experience. The Prado is overwhelming, a bit too much to take in in one visit, so I'd visit the others first. The three of them are quite close together.

Otherwise, if you're there on a Sunday, El Rastro, near the centre of town, is another experience, one of the world's best flea markets. And if you're that way inclined you can get your name added to a poster indicating your prowess as a Matador!

De colores

Bogong

Madrid's a great city with an old section and lots of places to wander and explore. Give it half a chance and it just may become your next favourite city. Booking.com for deals in town, where you want to be.
Cheers
Jeff (from Madrid)

... El Rasto to get a bit of a non-tourist experience.

Just my opinion, but I will never return to the Rastro on a Sunday morning. In 1971, when I was a student in Madrid, it was a legitimate open air market with all kinds of antiques, curiosities, etc. In 1994, when I took my kids there, it was a suffocating mass of huge crowds with the majority of the merchandise being junk. Scam artists everywhere (lots of portable "games" where the sucker has to guess which cup the trinket is under, and people lose a lot of money -- these games are put together on top of a bunch of stacked cardboard boxes, so the crooks can disappear when the cops stroll by or someone gets mad), tons of pickpockets, many more than on the Madrid metro. And my impression is definitely that it is more of a tourist attraction than a legit flea market for those who love scavenging through piles of junk to find the one treasure. But the main thing for me was the crush of the crowds, it was awful, IMO.

I love Madrid. I am fortunate enough to go there occasionally for business and always have a fun time. The Thyessen Museum is my favorite. I just love it. The Prado is amazing - and yes, it is overwhelming, so I always just pick some specific galleries to see and go with that, then if I want to see more, I can. Otherwise, I call it done and go do something else.

As for what to wear for museums - you can really wear anything - people in Madrid tend to dress nicer when out and about, but it is also a major city and people have seen everything. Hiking clothes are actually fine. You might feel a bit out of place, but that's internal.

For neighborhoods to wander around - there are a lot of neat little streets in the area of town basically from the Plaza Mayor to the Prado. The Plaza de Santa Ana has a lot of restaurants and cafes with outdoor seating that are great for people watching.

We stayed near the Prado on our last Camino. It's an expensive neighborhood to stay, but very nice. We saw the Prado, which was outstanding. But if you're looking for a relaxed time, wander through the huge Retiro park nearby.

I think if you don't like large cities, you may enjoy spending the entire day in Parque Retiro. Lots of gorgeous walking trails, some interesting structures (the crystal glass palace!) and a lovely little lake where you can sit and enjoy the view or go on a little boat ride. Plenty of cafes to eat when you are hungry. Even though I've been to the Prado, I'm not much of a museum person (nature is my joy), so I always spend as much time in Parque Retiro as possible. And while Madrid is not a "large, modern city" like some in other areas of the world, it feels large to me - lots of people, lots of traffic, lots going on. I prefer walking in the park and getting some extra training before starting my Camino.

I think if you don't like large cities, you may enjoy spending the entire day in Parque Retiro. Lots of gorgeous walking trails, some interesting structures (the crystal glass palace!) and a lovely little lake where you can sit and enjoy the view or go on a little boat ride. Plenty of cafes to eat when you are hungry. Even though I've been to the Prado, I'm not much of a museum person (nature is my joy), so I always spend as much time in Parque Retiro as possible. And while Madrid is not a "large, modern city" like some in other areas of the world, it feels large to me - lots of people, lots of traffic, lots going on. I prefer walking in the park and getting some extra training before starting my Camino.
I only spent a half a day in Madrid last year, but a good part of that time was in Parque Retiro. It is lovely.

I only spent a half a day in Madrid last year, but a good part of that time was in Parque Retiro. It is lovely.
Hi trecile and welcome to the forum. I walked the CF in Sept/Oct and am taking lots of notes for 2017. I plan to take much more time to visit and enjoy places such as you have suggested. Of course the Prado would also be a must. Thanks for your post.

...and when you need a break from the Prado, go eat at La Verónica in Calle Moratinos, on the other side of the Castellana. I still don't understand how homemade pasta with homemade pesto can be so improbably good.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back