• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An unhurried Camino Portuguese in mind...how many days should I be thinking?

LorneB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues - Porto to Vigo, 2017; Vigo to SDC to Muxia, 2018
Hi, everyone.

I know this is somewhat vague – what is “meaningful” after all? – but I’m hoping the spirit of my question might invite some helpful reflections back.

From what I’ve seen so far, people seem to find that walking the interior CP from Porto takes about ten days, and the coastal route takes about twelve. Would this apply to someone (like me, for instance) who prefers to have time for meaningful interaction with the communities through which I would pass, or should I allow more time? If so, any suggestions as to how much more time?

Thank you.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The more time the better for me. There is plenty to do, plenty to see, good food and even better people. It really depends on where you start and how much of the country you want to experience. Last year I spent 2 days in lisbon, 1 day in Fatima, 1 day in Tomar, and two days in Porto before walking the coastal route to Santiago. This year I will walk the central route but will spend more time in Lisbon, Porto, Braga, Ourense, etc. 5 weeks in all.

Good luck with your decision.

Mike

Splendid idea ... to meander about on your pilgrimage through Portugal.
in May 2014 I stayed about 5 days in the Lisboa area to explore (again) the area and be with friends, also had a rest day in Ponte de Muge, Tomar and Porto (after Porto I kept going without a rest-day... would have loved to stay an extra day in Ponte de Lima, but it did not just rain cats'n'dogs, it was rather the size of tigers'n'horses .... so i kept on to Rubieas (spelling?) - otherwise i would have stayed. lovely town as well.
I was on the camino for exactly 4 weeks, friday to friday. (one section was skipped - aka train-taken, due to a health-hic up) - don't know how long I would have taken had i walked each kilometer. perhaps another 3 days? dunno ... does not matter.
it was a blessed experience either way.
and do allow for some time to de-pilgrim.... in a nice place of your preference after you leave santiago.
at least that's something i'd highly recommend.
best wishes - bom caminho

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To figure this out, you need first to calculate your individual CDA (comfortable daily average). For me, a CDA falls in the low to mid-thirties, in terms of kilometres. That would imply eight walking days, if I were to concentrate on nothing but getting to the destination. An additional three days for rest, exploration or general mooching around would definitely produce an unhurried and leisurely ambience. So if we were to reduce this to a formula: distance divided by CDA, plus 3, will give you a pretty good answer.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back