• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An "unofficial" Pilgrim Passport?

smallove

Time of past OR future Camino
19 DEC 2016 from SJPP
Hello everyone,

My friend asked me a question and I'm not sure about the answer. Therefore, I hope someone here can help.

Quesion: My friend would like to walk the camino while using his favorite small notebook for daily stamping. Someone told him he can use any kind of paper / notebook / A4 paper to replace the "official pilgrim passport". Is that true? Is the unofficial pilgrim passport acceptable in the Santiago pilgrim office?

Hope someone could answer this because I am curious about this as well.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• 12350154-smaller-green-notebook-with-pencil-for-note--Stock-Photo.jpg
    12350154-smaller-green-notebook-with-pencil-for-note--Stock-Photo.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 14
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No and no. Your friend can pick up an official credencial in SJPP. Nothing to stop your friend getting their favourite notebook stamped along the way too, but the pilgrims office requires an official one.

Last edited:
In the past, most credentials were accepted by the Pilgrim Officein Santiago.
For a number of reasons...this was changed a few years back (maybe more than a few). Now only the official credential is accepted. There are credentials issued by national Pilgrim Associations which have been authorized as well. Homemade or those offered by tour groups or other commercial businesses are not.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can add an ‘extension’ to the official credencial using anything including plain paper. With a bit of enthusiasm you could fill a credencial with sellos in the first couple of days and continue thereafter as you see fit. I half filled one in a single memorable* evening in the barrio humido of Leon.

* actually only ‘potentially memorable’ as I can’t remember anything but the hangover, but the sellos record the evening for me.

As others have said, you must have an officially recognized credential to get a compostela. One year in addition to the credential I carried a small notebook that I got stamped. The day after I received my compostela I returned to the pilgrim office, presented the notebook and received the alternative document that is given to those who walk for non religious or spiritual reasons.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What a lovely idea! As you see above, it will be necessary to show an official pilgrim passport, one stamp per day until the final 100km, when two stamps are required for the last 100km.
However - there is nothing to stop your friend getting a set of parallel stamps in his own notebook.
May he walk safely and soon!

I met a Polish gentleman on the Meseta in early October 2021 who had left his home in Gdansk in June and had been walking continuously with just a notebook for his stamps.

None of the albergues had any problem with stamping his notebook, but he pulled ahead of me after Foncebadon and I didn't see him again until Fisterra. He may have acquired a Pilgrim Passport for the last 100km for all I know, but he arrived in Santiago on 21 October and did get a Compostela, as well as a distance certificate for over 3,700km!

Hello everyone,

My friend asked me a question and I'm not sure about the answer. Therefore, I hope someone here can help.

Quesion: My friend would like to walk the camino while using his favorite small notebook for daily stamping. Someone told him he can use any kind of paper / notebook / A4 paper to replace the "official pilgrim passport". Is that true? Is the unofficial pilgrim passport acceptable in the Santiago pilgrim office?

The authoritative answer to your question lies here: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-credencial/ all other answers are speculation or hearsay ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everyone,

Your profile doesn't indicate where you live, but if in the U.S., the American Pilgrims on the Camino is the recognized national confraternity. As such, APOC issues approved credentials on their website at https://americanpilgrims.org/request-a-credential/. Be sure to read all the instructions on that page, and consider ordering at least two credentials to ensure you have enough space for all your sellos.

If you live outside the U.S., check your country's confraternity to see if they issue an approved credential. Or you can also order the official Cathedral credential from Ivar, our forum host, at https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...passport-from-the-pilgrims-office-in-santiago

Hello everyone,

Thank you

Generally they will not issue a compostela unless you have an approved Camino Passport.

As others have said, you must have an officially recognized credential to get a compostela. One year in addition to the credential I carried a small notebook that I got stamped.
This is the way to go. Get the official passport stamped and then get an additional one in the notebook. Let me suggest that you get a few passports but only have them stamped on one side. This will allow you to see all stamps if you tack the passports up on a wall or frame them.

And greetings Steve.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In case anyone is wondering, the Cathedral issues one style of credencial (that is stocked by Ivar). The other national associations have their own versions - they look different but are still officially recognized.

Last edited:
I think the essential point of the credencial is to demonstrate that you began your journey with the intention of making the pilgrimage so an official credencial will be necessary for you to receive a compostella. Other than that, you can get stamps in your diary or journal - few if any will refuse.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes and no.

If you've no intention of obtaining a Compostela, then a notebook is fine.

If you have that intention, then you'd need an officially recognised one for at least the final 100K.

As to collecting stamps on both, this used to be OK ; but it has been frowned upon to a degree in recent decades, as cases of fraud have become more numerous than they were. I suppose one way to do this would be glue your Credencial into the back of the notebook, to make them one document ?

Your profile doesn't indicate where you live, but if in the U.S., the American Pilgrims on the Camino is the recognized national confraternity. As such, APOC issues approved credentials on their website at https://americanpilgrims.org/request-a-credential/. Be sure to read all the instructions on that page, and consider ordering at least two credentials to ensure you have enough space for all your sellos.
I have used the APOC site for obtaining credentials for all five of my Caminos and also have ordered them for those who have accompanied me. It's very simple to do, and the organization sends them in a timely fashion. Although there is no charge for this service, donations are appreciated.

Never had any trouble getting extra stuff stamped.
One year I collected extra stamps on my white desert hat and neck flap. Great looking but eventually all wore off.
But you do need an official credential for a compostela and sometimes for admission to albergues.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As to collecting stamps on both, this used to be OK ; but it has been frowned upon to a degree in recent decades, as cases of fraud have become more numerous than they were.
I'm trying to understand what fraud could be perpetrated by collecting stamps in a notebook.

I'm trying to understand what fraud could be perpetrated by collecting stamps in a notebook.
Trecile, presumably, someone collecting two sets of stamps (one in a credential and one in a notebook) could be collecting for an absentee who wanted a Compostela without walking for it. I suspect that this is what JabbaPapa meant. Tom Hagger

Trecile, presumably, someone collecting two sets of stamps (one in a credential and one in a notebook) could be collecting for an absentee who wanted a Compostela without walking for it. I suspect that this is what JabbaPapa meant. Tom Hagger
Probably but pretty silly since someone collecting stamps for fraudsters can carry 100 passports and get them all stamped at different spots in the morning and then again in the afternoon. And most could be gotten quickly with self-service.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Trecile, presumably, someone collecting two sets of stamps (one in a credential and one in a notebook) could be collecting for an absentee who wanted a Compostela without walking for it. I suspect that this is what JabbaPapa meant.
Indeed.

Probably but pretty silly since someone collecting stamps for fraudsters can carry 100 passports and get them all stamped at different spots in the morning and then again in the afternoon. And most could be gotten quickly with self-service.
I saw someone stamping a whole stack of passports at one of those freestanding, self-service passport kiosks between Sarria and Santiago. It didn't dawn on me til later that he might have been a tour guide or some kind of group leader.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.