• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Analog Maps in the Digital Age

Wokabaut_Meri

somewhere along the Way
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2015
Pilgrims Way 2018
Via Francigena #1 Canterbury-Dover 2018
Having been born BC (before computers and calculators) I learnt to navigate with paper maps and they are still my preference even though I am an avid user of modern technology. One of my first careers was as a Drafting Officer with the Lands Department hand painting maps of the State. My last was designing and managing websites and databases.

Recently I came across an article about Tom Harrison who makes wilderness paper maps by hand and this paragraph really resonated for me:

When we look at a paper map, Harrison told me, we see more of the surroundings and less of ourselves, whereas digital is the other way around. A digital map, downloaded onto a phone or found on an app, can be revised quickly and cheaply but eliminates the need to locate yourself in the landscape. The premise is that you are the center of everything; there is no map without you.

Isn't this a really interesting point of view - locating/losing yourself in a landscape as opposed to being central to the map. It was one thing I really missed on the Camino - a map with enough detail and distance to satisfy my curiosity in the surrounding vistas. We bought a relief map of the entire Francés in Santiago which gave our journey the deeper and added perspective described in the article.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I grew up around "analog maps" some of which dated back to early 1600's that were in my grandfather's house. I almost came to grief at the start of my academic career when my kindergarten summoned my mother to voice her concerns about me, a 5 year old. The central issue was my painting - the teacher showed my mother my peers' work - trees like green lollipops, suns like big smiling circles, then mine, areas of green, blue, black lines. My mother started laughing which concerned my teacher who told her she was worried I was retarded. My mother said "Johnny, what is this?" I said "It's a map. These are fields, these are mountains, these are roads and that's a lake!" End of parent-teacher conference, start of a lifelong love of maps.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.