• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ancestry town- where roots and i meet up

Novos

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
Hi there,

I was thinking about taking a day off the camino and going to a town called Mide, which might be linked to my ancestors.

Does anyone know this town? I tried to find it on google earth and i just saw a field of crops.

Any information will be highly appreciated!

Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi there,

I was thinking about taking a day off the camino and going to a town called Mide, which might be linked to my ancestors.

Does anyone know this town? I tried to find it on google earth and i just saw a field of crops.

Any information will be highly appreciated!

Thanks.

One place named Mide appears to be a small hamlet roughly 20 km sw from Sarria in Galicia. You might walk there from Sarria in about 4 hours following route LU P 5713.

See a bit more info here.

Last edited:
I found the tiny village Mide in La Coruña - is that it? The word "mide" means "he/she/it measures" in Spanish, so it's a bit complicated to Google it!

From what I can see on the map, there are four or five farms, one of them with a very nice new house. There's a municipal garbage pick-up point, so the village is definitely still inhabited. The neighbouring village, O Xuncal, seems to be slightly bigger, so maybe that's the place to start your search?

It would be really cool to find out if there are still relatives of yours living there. This is the kind of thing I do for fun - I have some of my ancestors tracked back to around 1530.

Genealogical greetings from Norway!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I found the tiny village Mide in La Coruña - is that it? The word "mide" means "he/she/it measures" in Spanish, so it's a bit complicated to Google it!

From what I can see on the map, there are four or five farms, one of them with a very nice new house. There's a municipal garbage pick-up point, so the village is definitely still inhabited. The neighbouring village, O Xuncal, seems to be slightly bigger, so maybe that's the place to start your search?

It would be really cool to find out if there are still relatives of yours living there. This is the kind of thing I do for fun - I have some of my ancestors tracked back to around 1530.

Genealogical greetings from Norway!

Yeah well, i'm deeply inside my genealogical research, there's plenty more to tell when the time comes.

Could you send me a link to the municipal pick up point?

I'm still looking for more information about this village.

Yes, it looks like there are two places with the same name.

Mide, Lugo,Galicia,Spain
Mide, A coruna, Galicia,Spain

Mide.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is another MIDE associated to parish OIA council VIGO.
The name Mide probably has nothing to do with English Measure. I found on Internet that the meaning is "The considered" !?. but don´t explain the origin (Germanic, Latin).

There are four villages called Mide in Spain. All of them are in Galicia.

One of them is in the parish of Goá (municipality of Cospeito, province of Lugo) and has 23 inhabitants.

Other is in the parish of Castro de Rei de Lemos (municipality of Paradela, province of Lugo) and has 3 inhabitants.

Other is in the parish of Oia (municipality of Vigo, province of Pontevedra) and has 296 inhabitants.

And another one is in the parish of Vilarmaior (municipality of Vilarmaior province of A Coruña) and has 5 inhabitants.

Population data from 2015. Source: www.ine.es (i.e.: the web of the Spanish Statistical Office)

Which one is the one of your ancestors?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good luck on your search for ancestors. It can be really exciting when you find the place they lived, and even more exciting if you actually get to visit and meet any current cousins still living there. My wife's grandparents immigrated to the US from northern Italy in the 1880's, and over the intervening years all contact was lost between the families until we were able to locate them and visit them in 2012. They still live adjacent to the 400 year-old ancestral home and attend the same church that was built in 1612. We are now Facebook friends and follow each other regularly. We hope they will visit us in the US sometime as well. Alas, we had no such luck trying to find the Irish branch of my family (Prendergast in County Mayo) when we visited there last year. Some of my fondest Camino memories are going to Mass in the small village churches and sitting among the locals whose ancestors may have built those very churches 600 or 800 years ago. I probably would not have appreciated those experiences as much as I did if it hadn't been for visiting my wife's Italian family and their village church prior to our Camino.

Thanks for the info.
Part of the story is that my ancesors were banished because of Alhambra Decree (also known as Edict of Expulsion), which happend in 1492. I know they used to live there because of my ancestors' family name, plus some other stories that have been told over the years.
I only have information about my ancestors until 1790's. I know this is a significant gap and it might sound naive, but i really hope i will be able to find some more information.

I hope to get it through municipality, but there seems to be like 4 places with the same name so..

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I wish you well on your quest, Novos. :) It certainly adds an exciting dimension to the pilgrimage.

Thanks for the info.
Part of the story is that my ancesors were banished because of Alhambra Decree (also known as Edict of Expulsion), which happend in 1492. I know they used to live there because of my ancestors' family name, plus some other stories that have been told over the years.
I only have information about my ancestors until 1790's. I know this is a significant gap and it might sound naive, but i really hope i will be able to find some more information.

I hope to get it through municipality, but there seems to be like 4 places with the same name so..
Mine were expelled too and ended up in Scotland. I had great delight in walking past the castle of Valdes y Salas in Salas (which was looming out of the mist that day) and saying "But we survived and thrived!"

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back