• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ancient churches on the San Salvador, Primitivo, and Via de la Plata

Bumping this thread, because @Madrood has posed a question best answered by the likes of you who have seen lots of these churches in real life, rather than in photos: do you have any favorites?

(@peregrina2000, @Rebekah Scott, @jungleboy, and @alansykes , @Pelegrin ...)
These aren't on the specific caminos in the title of the thread, but I think my favourites are São Frutuoso on the Geira/Torres outside Braga and Wamba on the Madrid. I'm hoping to see Santa Maria de Lara near Burgos next spring if all goes well!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would have to be Santa Cristina, pictures 1 & 2, 9th century and opened up at 11 am promptly every day. It is just before you get to La Cobertoria on the Salvador. But if you do a little detour to Bendueños and stay at the beautiful albergue run by the wonderful Sandra, you might be lucky ang get to see inside the church next door, pictures 2 & 4 (head straight down the hill to the road next morning).

P1000402.JPGP1000403.JPGP1000391.JPGP1000386.JPG

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wamba does look amazing.
And not only because of the ossuary.

But if you do a little detour to Bendueños and stay at the beautiful albergue run by the wonderful Sandra, you might be lucky ang get to see inside the church next door, pictures 2 & 4 (head straight down the hill to the road next morning).
Oh! Grand idea. Now the challenge is remembering this golden nugget of information. Bookmarked.

The church San Salvador de Valdediós, on the way from Villaviciosa to Oviedo.
Can you backtrack from the San Salvador, or is that a bit long?

It sounds like Oviedo is the centre of the Visigothic universe now, only because much was destroyed in the years that followed the conquista. Santa Maria de Melque near Toledo is one of the more southerly outliers, and looks remarkable. Has anyone been there?

Can you backtrack from the San Salvador, or is that a bit long?

It sounds like Oviedo is the centre of the Visigothic universe now, only because much was destroyed in the years that followed the conquista. Santa Maria de Melque near Toledo is one of the more southerly outliers, and looks remarkable. Has anyone been there?
A bit long, much easier to simply walk the Primitivo: Valdedios is actually on the Primitivo (or one of two variants). The Visigoths ruled all of the Iberian peninsular after the Romans (apart from a brief rule by the Suevi), but were not completely christianised at first so had a fairly small window of time to build churches before the Moorish conquest, so they weren't necessarily destroyed - they simply weren't there in the first place. Asturias and Galicia were just a bit too remote and uninteresting for the Moors. The Visigoths therefore had another 300 years or so of church building in hand, and please let's not, for the sake of peace and sanity get caught up in when 'Romanesque' began. This explains why there are a lot more Visigoth era churches in NW Spain. There are others in the rest of Spain, and not all of those in Asturias and Galicia have survived - one of them is buried deep between a certain large cathedral built on top of it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
😁 🙃
Gosh I wonder where that is.

Thank you for the correction and clarification, @dick bird. I really appreciate it.
Meanwhile...have you a favorite?
I think Santa Catarina, mainly because of personal associations: we were just so lucky to be there when the caretaker turned up and the site is very beautiful. San Julián just outside Oviedo is also remarkable because of the internal decorations that have survived.

Would have to be Santa Cristina, pictures 1 & 2, 9th century and opened up at 11 am promptly every day. It is just before you get to La Cobertoria on the Salvador. But if you do a little detour to Bendueños and stay at the beautiful albergue run by the wonderful Sandra, you might be lucky ang get to see inside the church next door, pictures 2 & 4 (head straight down the hill to the road next morning).

View attachment 110413View attachment 110414
I was in Bendueños about five years ago. Ender and about four of his buddies came for lunch, and afterwards Sandra took us into the church. The paintings were almost impossible to see. One of the group, can’t remember who, said, wow this is a site that needs some government restoration funding. He promised to make the application, and it looks like he did. The paintings are so unusual because they depict black indigenous individuals dressed “exotically.” Maybe one of the priests had a connection with the Caribbean (Cuba sprang to the mind of Ender’s friend). I confirmed on google that yes indeed they did get some funding to restore the paintings.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bumping this thread, because @Madrood has posed a question best answered by the likes of you who have seen lots of these churches in real life, rather than in photos: do you have any favorites?

(@peregrina2000, @Rebekah Scott, @jungleboy, and @alansykes , @Pelegrin ...)
I had to go back and look at all the candidates. So hard to choose, but I saw that my decision in July 2020 was that Santa Cristina and Valdediós were my two favorites. That means I agree with @dick bird and @AJGuillaume, so I am in pretty good company.

All of these places are well worth a visit. I came to my top two, though, because of the combination of spectacular outdoor setting (Santa Cristina lonely on a beautiful hill, Valdediós nestled in a gorgeous valley) as well as the interiors. In my opinion, Santa Cristina would take top honors for stunning interiors, IMO, along with San Miguel de la Escalada — but now I am complicating my list, so I will leave it with those two.

I was in Bendueños about five years ago. Ender and about four of his buddies came for lunch, and afterwards Sandra took us into the church. The paintings were almost impossible to see. One of the group, can’t remember who, said, wow this is a site that needs some government restoration funding. He promised to make the application, and it looks like he did. The paintings are so unusual because they depict black indigenous individuals dressed “exotically.” Maybe one of the priests had a connection with the Caribbean (Cuba sprang to the mind of Ender’s friend). I confirmed on google that yes indeed they did get some funding to restore the paintings.

And they've done a very good job of it, I have to say. I noticed the African figures. There could be all kinds of explanations for this. Spain imported large numbers of slaves into all of its American colonies and this continued after liberation from Spain. Spain also had some involvement in Africa, though not so much under the terms of the Treaty of Tordesillas. By the way, do you have any news of Sandra? How is she? She was so kind and welcoming. We had a feeling she may have been struggling a little, or is that just an impression?

P1000391.JPG

Thanks all for for picking your favorites, I've marked them on my map.

On the African figures; I'm out of my depth here but do they have anything to do with the Black Madonnas?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was going through photos of our walk 3 years ago today, and came across this church, which is in Priesca, before arriving in Villaviciosa, on the Norte. Not quite on the Primitivo, yet, but not far.

IMG_20181005_102205.jpg

By the way, do you have any news of Sandra? How is she? She was so kind and welcoming. We had a feeling she may have been struggling a little, or is that just an impression?
Just this morning I got a message from someone who stayed there last night. She brought them up a pot of food and did not stay. He said she was very friendly, but I didn’t get the sense that she was really engaged like she had been when I was there. But who knows, it is good the albergue is open, and I think peregrinos should make an effort to stay there if it fits in their Salvador stages!

I was going through photos of our walk 3 years ago today, and came across this church, which is in Priesca, before arriving in Villaviciosa, on the Norte. Not quite on the Primitivo, yet, but not far.

View attachment 110514
This is the same church from a different angle but in not such nice weather. As you say, near enough to the Primitivo to count. 9th century with additions? Unfortunately locked up, like nearly all the churches we pass.

Attachments

• DSC00140.JPG
    DSC00140.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Unfortunately locked up, like nearly all the churches we pass.
My notes on the day tell me that somehow I found out that the lady at number 3 across the street has the keys. I think it might have been from the Buen Camino app, and checking the new version, I see that there is a note that Alicia is the name of the lady.
IMG_20181005_102148.jpg
Initially, nobody answered my knock on the door, but when I saw her at the window, I asked her if she could open the church as we were pilgrims, which she kindly did. And this is what it looks like inside:
IMG_4625.JPGIMG_4626.JPGIMG_4627.JPGIMG_4628.JPGIMG_4630.JPG
I didn't take more photos, as I didn't want to take too much of Alicia's time.

And they've done a very good job of it, I have to say. I noticed the African figures. There could be all kinds of explanations for this. Spain imported large numbers of slaves into all of its American colonies and this continued after liberation from Spain. Spain also had some involvement in Africa, though not so much under the terms of the Treaty of Tordesillas. By the way, do you have any news of Sandra? How is she? She was so kind and welcoming. We had a feeling she may have been struggling a little, or is that just an impression?

View attachment 110486
The spelling isn’t quite right but it looks similar to San Geronimo, who if Wikipedia is to be trusted was an Algerian converted to Christianity and martyred by the Moors in Algiers in 1569; his story was recorded by a Spanish Benedictine monk. That would explain the costumes and race but this saint looks too old to be him. Maybe there was some conflation with a better known (and older) St Jerome.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Asking that question is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. :) I have walked to most, and have visited a couple of the off-camino ones by car. IMHO, there is nothing like sitting inside one of these beautiful, irregularly shaped ancient works of love and devotion to get the reflective juices flowing — not that I think great thoughts, but it is such a peaceful place to think about the meaning of it all.

Primitivo — I have never thought of it this way, but in terms of ancient churches, I guess the Primitivo wins hands down. And if you walk into Oviedo from the Norte to start the Primitivo, you can add Valdediós to your itinerary, and it is truly one of the most beautiful. It is a well marked slight off-camino walk from Villaviciosa and on the way to Pola de Siero. So totally worth it.

For me personally, if I were pressed for time in Oviedo, the Naranco sites are far more beautiful (though much more heavily touristed) than San Julián de los Prados. It is the biggest, but its size makes it less human, and less peaceful, I think.

The last time I walked the Primitivo, I thought about trying to find my way to San Pedro de Nora, but in the end didn’t.

Vdlp — Santa Lucía de Trampal is gorgeous. @alansykes‘s detour GPS in between Aljucén and Alcuéscar is all you need. It’s in a beautiful rural setting, so you can enjoy the outside from many angles. The inside has been re-done and there is a visitors’ center with many informational panels, but the church retains the essential simplicity.

Salvador — Santa Cristina de Lena is about 200 m off the Camino after Campomanes, and I cannot imagine how anyone walking the Salvador could bear to miss it. And the environs are incredibly pastoral and peaceful.

Vadiniense (or Francés)— OMG, San Miguel de la Escalada. From Gradefes to Mansilla de las Mulas on the Vadiniense, you pass right by. But it is only about 15 km from Mansilla de las Mulas, and it would be worth moving heaven and earth to get there. In fact, this was how I met Rebekah. Way back years ago, I posted on the forum about wanting to visit San Miguel from León and wondering about transportation. Reb answered that she would pick me up and take me there! She even brought a copy of the beautiful Beatus that was produced there for me to look at. Totally totally worth it. I visited it again on the Vadiniense.

Santa Comba de Bande — I don’t think this is near any camino (at least not any that I know of), but I once spent a glorious weekend in Galicia in that area and took the short drive from Celanova (a very pretty Galician town) to visit the church. And ruins of a Roman fort along the way. Celanova has its own monuments to visit, too!

Thank you so much for the heads up. I think this is probably one of those places where you have to find the señora with the keys. But I would call ahead of time.
Teléfonos de Información: Guías, Nuria 620 923 644. Ayuntamiento de Tricio 941 36 10 57.

So, just to sum it all up with my opinions — of all of these, if you are looking for quiet, contemplative spots, where you will be overwhelmed by the humbling simplicity, I would recommend Valdediós and Santa Cristina de Lena as my “top two.”

Yesterday myself and another hospitalera from the municipal albergue in Nájera took the three km walk to Tricio to see La Basilica de Santa Maria de Arcos on a guided tour, led by Nuria (telephone +34 620 923 644). This is the oldest monument in La Rioja, and surely one of the oldest churches in Spain. The history of the building and its uses is quite complex, and can be traced from Roman times in the various architectural elements integrated in its structure. The earliest was the extensive 3rd century tomb of an unidentified Roman, around which the entire structure was gradually built, beginning with the fifth century church. The massive pillars supporting the church were taken from the Roman forum where the current parish church now stands and moved in pieces to their current positions in the church. From then on, recent excavations have shown that many burials took place in the church, which is bordered by the town cemetery. It is still a consecrated church, surely one of the oldest in Spain and well worth seeing by an interested pilgrim.
I found it difficult to follow the guide's rapid Spanish and certainly missed some of her presentation. You may succeed better. And it is easily accessible on foot from Nájera. An advance booking is essential. The website is:
www.ermitaentricio.com

Thank you so much for this link @Albertagirl.
Here is more information:

I also found this of similar age not so much farther away:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you so much for this link @Albertagirl.
Here is more information:

I also found this of similar age not so much farther away:
But wait, there's more: https://www.arteguias.com/basilica/santamariaarcostricio.htm

The church San Salvador de Valdediós, on the way from Villaviciosa to Oviedo.View attachment 110415
I just discovered this about Valdedios:

This last link speaks of how, when the Visigothic capital of Toledo was being overrun, they took treasures that had been there and secreted them away up here in the mountains:
according to Martínez-Pinna, the study of the fate of practically all the relics that at the time were in the hands of the Visigoths “led me to the conviction that that they had been moved north to seek shelter in the Asturian mountains, and more specifically in the majestic Monsacro ”.
It's pretty amazing, but makes a lot of sense.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you so much @VNwalking. I spent some hours yesterday evening locating and marking all those sites in Oviedo and vicinity on maps.me, as well as the Tourist Office in Oviedo, so I can find out opening hours before going to locations. I shall take a week off from walking the Salvador/Primitivo to wander around Oviedo gorging myself on beauty, wisdom, and history- I'm leaving on camino in a few days.

Thank you so much @VNwalking.
Mostly thanks to @mspath for having done the map in the first place.

I shall take a week off from walking the Salvador/Primitivo to wander around Oviedo gorging myself on beauty, wisdom, and history- I'm leaving on camino in a few days.
Wonderful idea. I'd love to see your impressions and some photos here if you have the chance.
Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here's a link I just stumbled across, that would have saved us a ton of work:
Anyone headed out soon might be interested in the extensive list and links.

Edit quite a while later: Click on the link at your own risk - it is a huge rabbit hole! Don't say I didn't' warn you. 🙃

Last edited:
Looking around online for some information about a virtual Camino de las Asturias, I stumbled across this beautiful article that describes some of the oldest churches in Spain, in detail and with photographs.

Then, as one does, I went down a deep rabbit hole, reading of the few churches that remain from the time before the Conquista. It is fascinating, and tantalizing. These churches are essentially Byzantine, late Roman - called Visigothic as a nod to the Visigoths, the people who had come to rule after the last remnants of the Roman Empire unraveled in Iberia.

Here are some of the more significant rabbit holes, for your enjoyment:
This shows the various churches in Asturias that are recognized by UNESCO, a surprising number.

These other two sites are more general:

The churches the Visigoth kings built predate the Camino itself and are our windows into a deep past, very precious links to ages that we can only glimse from afar. Only a handful of Visigothic churches are left in Spain — most were lost in the Conquista or to later renovations. Much of what remains are in the far North., and many have UNESCO recognition. They are beautiful in a totally different way than we are used to seeing with Romanesque and Gothic architecture.

In Asturias, and around Oviedo in particular, you could easily spend a day or two visiting the several Visigthic churches. So heads-up if you are walking the Primativo or San Salvador. At the very least do not miss to visit San Julian in Oviedo; the Wikipedia article says this:

View attachment 79314
From http://www.spainisculture.com/en/monumentos/asturias/iglesia_de_san_julian_de_los_prados.html

San Tirso is also central, right beside the Cathedral of Oviedo.

About a km North of Oviedo is Santa Maria del Naranco (Left, below), built as a palace in 848, and repurposed later to be used as a church. Santa Cristina de Lena (Right below), about 25 km south of Oviedo and a very short way off the Camino San Salvador, was built adjacent to the Roman road joining the Messta with Asturias. If you walk right by you are missing a jewel!
View attachment 79313 View attachment 79312
L: From https://www.turismoasturias.es/docu...b-305c-4bfc-b6ac-a1687fb2af4a?t=1389204123847
R: From https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._de_Lena.jpg/330px-Santa_Cristina_de_Lena.jpg

The UNESCO report highlights the importance of the remarkable preservation of two of these buildings:

Asturias has most but not all of these churches.
A few days walk from Burgos, on the Camino San Olav, is Santa Maria de Lara. It is a tantalizing fragment of the original structure, with beautiful very natural carvings visible on the outside. The inside is also said to be special but it was closed when I went there a good Friday.
View media item 4874
Santa Lucía del Trampal is much farther to the south on the VdlP, a short detour between Aljucen and Alcuéscar.

If there is one lesson from this rabbit hole, it is the benefit of reading a bit before heading off on any camino. It would be all too easy to waltz right past these remarkable ghosts of the past, oblivious to their importance.
Buen camino when we can, amigx!
aw maaaan, I'm supposed to be working! :cool:

Edit quite a while later: Click on the link at your own risk - it is a huge rabbit hole! Don't say I didn't' warn you. 🙃
and then I scrolled up from my last post..... :eek:

€60,-

You were right. It's almost five in the morning and I'm still here😍

Thanks for bumping this, @Filippo05ff .

I dipped in again and found a Visigothic hermitage, San Juan Bautista, outside Barbadillo del Mercado. It's very close to Contreras, over the hill from Santo Domingo de Silos, and not far from the Visigothic Santa Maria de Lara.

I wish I'd known it was there when I walked to all those places!
Screenshot_20231019_161441_Gallery.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was just visiting the very fine Centro de Recepcion & Interpretacion del Preromanico Asturiano, near Santa Maria de Naranco and San Miguel de Lliño, outside of Oviedo.

They have a pamphlet with a nice map of Asturian Pre-Romanesque sites, that is very useful. Here it is:
20240413_223907.jpg

If you are walking the Primitivo or are coming off the San Salvador, do yourself a big favor and plan a day in Oviedo to take in all the Visigothic treasures there - they are very special.
20240413_111145.jpg 20240413_103918.jpg 20240413_092935.jpg 20240413_164113.jpg

And an update: for the time being both of the Naranco churches are CLOSED for restoration. They were hoping to open them during Semana Santa, but the docent at the centre said wet weather over the winter has delayed progress. Even from the outside they're worth a visit, though.

Most read last week in this forum

One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back