• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

and after the Olvidado?

MikeJS

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Olvidado/San Salvador/Primitivo 2019
I am planning to walk the Camino Madrid and then go up to the Olvidado to complete the bit of the Olvidado I missed last time when I left the Olvidado to walk the San Salvador/Primitivo. My challenge is that I would really like to walk a different route after the end of the Olvidado as I have walked that part of the Frances many times before and I have walked the Invierno previously so do not really want to repeat that.

Any intrepid hikers have any alternatives?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pulling out my handy dandy IGN map (best Camino map EVER — looks like Ivar is almost out of them again!), I’m sure @LT and @Mike know there’s nothing contiguous. So transport is going to be necessary.

Looking at the caminos up in that neck of the woods, though, I think there are a few to entice you. I walked the Torres/Geira last year and (Salamanca - Braga - Santiago) and either half would be a wonderful walk. But very few albergues. How about the ZAmorano-Portugués from Zamora through Bragança and then back to Spain in Verín? The Castellano-Lebañiego isn’t on the map (though the Blendios looks like it might be a close cousin), but here is some info. It goes from Palencia-Fromista-up through Monasterio de Liébano (and it’s a holy year for them, so that might be very nice).

And one last thought — the Allerano, from León/La Robla to Oviedo, so this might be the easiest to get to. Ender and Co. are in the process of marking it, accommodation may be shaky, but if anyone wants to walk this route, I can contact him and see what the status is as of today.

What a lovely dilemma to have! Would love to hear what you decide.

Pulling out my handy dandy IGN map (best Camino map EVER — looks like Ivar is almost out of them again!), I’m sure @LT and @Mike know there’s nothing contiguous. So transport is going to be necessary.

Looking at the caminos up in that neck of the woods, though, I think there are a few to entice you. I walked the Torres/Geira last year and (Salamanca - Braga - Santiago) and either half would be a wonderful walk. But very few albergues. How about the ZAmorano-Portugués from Zamora through Bragança and then back to Spain in Verín? The Castellano-Lebañiego isn’t on the map (though the Blendios looks like it might be a close cousin), but here is some info. It goes from Palencia-Fromista-up through Monasterio de Liébano (and it’s a holy year for them, so that might be very nice).

And one last thought — the Allerano, from León/La Robla to Oviedo, so this might be the easiest to get to. Ender and Co. are in the process of marking it, accommodation may be shaky, but if anyone wants to walk this route, I can contact him and see what the status is as of today.

What a lovely dilemma to have! Would love to hear what you decide.
Hi peregrina2000, lovely to hear from you again. Lots of great suggestions but I should have made my wishes clearer! I want to continue onto SdC but just walk on from the end of the Olvidado. I did not expect there to be a readymade and established camino. Thinking of trying to find a route from Villafranca de Bierzo to Lugo. Then use the Camino Verde. I have been hunting on wikiloc but nothing jumps out at the moment. It is just a wish at the moment to avoid the crowds!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thinking of trying to find a route from Villafranca de Bierzo to Lugo.
I don’t know if you have the premium version of Wikiloc and use their map feature, but it’s great. You put a circle around Villafranca and one around Lugo and see what pops up to connect them.

Here are the tracks of someone who walked from Médulas to Lugo, so you could intersect with that easily.

The total time is listed as several hours, for 122 kms, so there may be something off here. These may actually not be walking tracks.

One from Ponferrada to Lugo

This second one doesn’t look like a walking track, but the first one does, even though they are both listed as ”hiking.”

I have always found that writing questions to the authors of tracks on wikiloc (there’s a comment section below the actual tracks) produces very quick responses, so you could get a bit more info if these look interesting.

I don’t know if you have the premium version of Wikiloc and use their map feature, but it’s great. You put a circle around Villafranca and one around Lugo and see what pops up to connect them.

Here are the tracks of someone who walked from Médulas to Lugo, so you could intersect with that easily.

The total time is listed as several hours, for 122 kms, so there may be something off here. These may actually not be walking tracks.

One from Ponferrada to Lugo

This second one doesn’t look like a walking track, but the first one does, even though they are both listed as ”hiking.”

I have always found that writing questions to the authors of tracks on wikiloc (there’s a comment section below the actual tracks) produces very quick responses, so you could get a bit more info if these look interesting.
Thank you very much for the info. I have used those features before and will renew my membership to wikiloc when it is nearer my intended departure time and I want to do some detailed planning. The ones you posted look like bike tracks as the bits I looked at seem to follow the road, and the second one has some very suspicious straight lines!

Ultimately, I know I could find my way just using google maps but of course it makes the stops (and places to stay) a bit of guess work……. In the end it all depends on what I find before I travel and how I feel as I reach the end of the Olvidado.

I like the idea of heading to Lugo on that track Laurie posted thet starts in Las Medulas.
A bespoke route sounds just the thing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I like the idea of heading to Lugo on that track Laurie posted thet starts in Las Medulas.
A bespoke route sounds just the thing.
I like the idea as well but that track seems to just follow a main road and has a few suspicious overly straight bits - where they probably forgot to switch their GPS back on.

Mike I was just looking at my OSMand map, which has the Dutch cofraternity camino tracks as an overlay. There is a zig-zaggy track from O Cebreiro to Lugo. Yes, it more or less follows the general route of the main road, but clearly is not on it the whole way.
Screenshot_20230326-071048_OsmAnd.jpg
Here is their link to download the track:
https://www.santiago.nl/downloads
It is also on Wikiloc.

Here is the website for the route:

Edit. Here is what @Thomas1962 has to say here on the Forum:
There is a new camino going from O Cebreiro to Lugo called Via Kunig. With a track you can also walk it backwards.

Another possibility to avoid the Melide-SdC stretch is to go from the Primitivo indeed to the Norte. You don't need to end up in Arzua, but there are now also alternatives which joines the Frances only at SdC airport, 15kms before SdC.

You can see the VIa Kunig and the alternatives untill the airport at the interactive map at the bottom of this page. You can also download al these tracks you see from this page. Both pages are in Dutch, but with some google translate you will understand. If not, let me know

Last edited:
Now that we’ve got VN on this, success seems more likely.

But here’s something weird — I just put Villafranca to Lugo in my googlemaps, and it identified a walking trail that doesn’t seem to go on the road. VN, if you look at this screen shot, can you find a similar route on your OSM map?

07D2736B-1452-4884-A891-309E6EF9C0DF.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OMG, VN, you are a marvel. You not only found a walking route, you found a CAMINO walking route. I never heard of the Via Kunig, but there it is! Stay on the Francés till Las Herrerías. Then when the Francés goes up to O Cebreiro, Mike can go on the Via Kunig!

Lots of info on this route on the web,looks like another route intended to bypass O Cebreiro in wintertime.

VN gets the Forum Gold Star for the day.

You not only found a walking route, you found a CAMINO walking route. I never heard of the Via Kunig, but there it is!
Thank you for the kudos, Laurie. ❤
And. @Thomas1962 and the good people at the Dutch cofraternity should get the credit. AllI did was download 'all Spanish caminos.' Honestly, I never noticed this particilar track until this morning.
Those tracks are an incredible offering to us all!
🙏

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Late to reply, but last summer I walked the Olvidado and connected on the Frances to the Via Kunig.

I did not meet any pilgrims on the Via Kunig so it was a nice quiet route up to Lugo.

I will have videos of the Via Kunig up on my YouTube channel eventually - but I need to finish the Olvidado ones first. hahaha... They are coming, I'll post one up today.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back