• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

And Another Pair of Sandals

jo webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 9th 2017
I just ordered another pair of hiking sandals. I have purchased 3 pair already. The shower / evening sandals were easy as I won't wear them for long periods. The trekking sandals .... another animal all together. I want soft and bendable, good soles, adjustable straps everywhere and light weight. I have the Ecco Yucatan Sandals and they fit well, don't rub and work well - except my feet feel tired / sore on the bottoms after a 1 mile walk, just the bottoms. This is with or without a light pack. It is also with or without socks. There doesn't seem to be enough cushion to keep my feet happy.

So I will have Teva Tirra Sandals in just a few days. They are lighter weight and are supposed to have more cushion. Wish I could just wear my Clark everyday sandals, they are so comfortable I forget I am wearing shoes.

I guess my question is, do I just keep using the Ecco sandals until I build up callouses or look for an insert? Or just give up on them? The reviews have all been great, maybe I am doing something wrong.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't see how calluses would help with general soreness on the bottom of your feet. Why are your everyday sandals not suitable?
The everyday sandals are just for street wear, they won't hold up well hiking, or getting wet, the bottoms are more smooth. I guess if it comes to using them I could take 3 pair and toss them when they wear out.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No, I think you need a decent grip on your footwear. Do no shoes work for you? What time of the year are you expecting to walk?

No, I think you need a decent grip on your footwear. Do no shoes work for you? What time of the year are you expecting to walk?
We will walk in Sept and Oct of 2017. I have only tried one pair of "good" hiking sandals. 2 pair of evening/shower sandals, the 2nd ones I bought are ok. Teva Original Sandal. The new hiking sandals on order are Teva Tirra Sandals.

I do have an old pair of boy's hiking shoes that fit perfect and are coming apart, they are no longer made. I have narrow heels, wide at the front foot ball and a high arch.

I know walking in sandals is highly praised but...lightweight and soft/bendable is usually not synonymous (in my experience) with good padding and support. Light weight sandals for kicking around town for a couple of hours are one thing, walking miles w or w/o weight is another.

Have you seen someone to determine what type of walking pattern you have (neutral, pronate, supinate) and your arch type...and do your sandals have the correct support for that?
Good luck

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Ecco sandals fit well, no blisters at all in the few months I have been wearing them around the house. They feel like they fit well everywhere. However when I wear then for short walks (half kilometer) my heels and the balls of my feet hurt. I am walking on sidewalks and hard road surfaces. That may be the problem, hiking is usually done on dirt and rocks, not pavement.

there may be a fair amount of pavement walking whichever camino you choose. I hope you find the perfect pair soon!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is there some reason you are wearing sandals and not trail runners, something like New Balance?
I have not tried New Balance. Living in a very warm climate I have always worn sandals or gone barefoot. Most closed toed shoes end up damaging my toe nails or the heals are not narrow enough, I am growing out one of my big toe nails now and did not want any pressure on it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you can find a New Balance Trainer on an SL-2 shoe last, they have a very narrow heel with a wide, deep toe box.
Thank you. I have written down the SL-2 and will see what I can find. I looked at the shoes online and they are different than anything I have ever worn, but if they work my feet will be very happy.

You can order from the New Balance website or from Zappos if you can't find them in a running shoe store near you. I have a wide foot and narrow heel, Saucony used to be my only marathon shoe but after they changed their pattern it is now New Balance all the way. I took New Balance trail running shoes but it ended up raining/snowing too much for me...so I wore my New Balance trail boots instead. I don't remember if I bought from the New Balance site or Zappos, but Zappos has free returns and fast delivery (can't recall NB details)
make sure you order large enough to take pressure off of toes

You can order from the New Balance website or from Zappos if you can't find them in a running shoe store near you. I have a wide foot and narrow heel, Saucony used to be my only marathon shoe but after they changed their pattern it is now New Balance all the way. I took New Balance trail running shoes but it ended up raining/snowing too much for me...so I wore my New Balance trail boots instead. I don't remember if I bought from the New Balance site or Zappos, but Zappos has free returns and fast delivery (can't recall NB details)
make sure you order large enough to take pressure off of toes
I will find a store and try them on. The trail running shoes would be lighter, so I will see if I can find a style in SL-2.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Get them a size larger than you normally wear and take up the space with a second pair of socks if needed. If they are the right shoes, they will need no breaking in at all. You will wear them out of the store and onto the Camino.

I have narrow heels, wide at the front foot ball and a high arch.
Sounds exactly like my feet, and I am on my sixth pair of Salomon shoes and boots (over that many years). I occasionally try on another brand but always go back. Not every Salomon is perfect for me - it depends on the style and the position of the seams, so try different ones. Yes, be sure to get one that fits on the large size.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have you checked out Chacos Z1 Unaweep sandals? They have adjustable straps, a high built-in arch and thick Vibram soles. Last year, due to toe blisters, I ended up walking the Camino in NorthFace sandals that I bought in Logrono out of desperation. The soles were not thick enough and the bottoms of my feet felt bruised by the time I got to Santiago. When I returned, I looked for a heavy duty hiking sandal and found the Unaweeps. I wear a women's 9, bought a Men's 7 and they fit perfectly. I think they would be ideal for the Camino.

Last edited:
I wear Ecco Off-road sandals, similar to your Yucatán - definitely not lightweight and bendable but solid proper hiking sandals. When I first walked in them, like you I found them less cushioning than the Asics I had used on previous caminos. My feet did adjust, and I now love them. The benefit of such tough soles is that they show absolutely no signs of wear after two thousand miles of walking, much of it on hard surfaces.
I do sympathise though with your desire for something a bit softer under foot so it is worth trying alternatives. The New Balance is a good suggestion although they don't suit my feet as the base of the heel is too wide for me and rubs. Hoka One-ones have many fans, as do Teva sandals.
Consider all the brands and styles recommended by forum members - there are so many to try - until you find the one that is right for you .

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've used Tevas for kayaking and rafting for years and have several Zirras (green! red! black!) for warm weather because they are much lighter. The straps are thinner, which I love but others may hate. Tirras are similar but with thicker soles so may feel better for actual hiking. Chacos don't fit my arch so the Tevas work well for me.

I'm a flipflop fan and live in them in the summer but always take Zirras traveling (gasp!) "just in case" I need to hike in them. The thinner straps dry pretty quick so can be used in grungy showers and are comfy after hiking. But even with blisters, I hike in trail runners and a fall Camino may be muddy and gushy.

Mine fit true to size and though I size up in runners, I don't in Tevas. I don't wear socks...because. Just because. o_O

PS: Don't yell at me! I bet that last bit is going to ruffle some feathers!

Sounds exactly like my feet, and I am on my sixth pair of Salomon shoes and boots (over that many years). I occasionally try on another brand but always go back. Not every Salomon is perfect for me - it depends on the style and the position of the seams, so try different ones. Yes, be sure to get one that fits on the large size.

I also love Salamons - but one thing I learned with the last pair: If you find a style you like and that seems like it might work - ask to try on every pair in your size in the store. They vary a lot - probably by half a size in some cases. And the waterproofing does not last (though they will replace your shoes if it gives out before two years).

In terms of trail sandals - have you tried Chacos? They are not the lightest, but they are very comfortable. They are more adjustable than tevas and they are very sturdy. I walked in mine for about a week because of blisters last spring on the vdlp. They also felt like a nice change after having boots on all day and you could wear them in the shower.

Late on this thread but what struck me is the desire for soft, bendable, soles. That may be the issue, as well as support. Have you considered you may need arch support and that not having it may be causing the pain? I would consult a podiatrist to identify any foot problems that may arise on the Camino and take preventative measures now.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm a Keen gal, myself -- I walk a lot on Camino-like trails and roads. And I had very lightweight trail runners, Altra Lone Peaks. You might want to check in to them too.

Priscilla

I hiked all over CT and the TX hill country in Tevas.. a discontinued style. I ordered Teva Tirra sandals for street & trail hiking. Tried them on my treadmill. Could not wear them even 1/2 mile. The Keen Newport H2 have more comfortable straps, but the footbed was an issue unless I wore Wright socks. My only issue was that the strap over my big toe joint rubbed a blister. A little tape (after blister healed) fixed that. Amazon reviews for the Newport H2 and the Keen Whisper sandal mention wearing them on the Camino. A YouTube Camino vlogger has worn her Whispers on two Caminos.

As an over pronator I swear by Vionic Tide 'sandals'. They are essentially orthotic flip flops with arch support some degree of heel cup and substantial soles. I can walk in total comfort for 5-6 miles with no foot, knee, hip, or lower back issues & zero recovery needed. By mile 6 humidity/sweat create a hotspot on the top of one foot. Not saying I would use them as hiking sandals, but definitely as 'relief' sandals & in the evenings. They garner compliments as well.

A couple of years ago on a Camino I was having terrible pain on the top of my foot from my shoe laces, so I switched to wearing my Teva Terra-Fi (the older version, not the Lite) and I blogged that it was like strapping on two big comfy sponges to the bottoms of my feet. I walked the rest of my Camino in the sandals. I've since bought the Terra Lite sandals and noted that they are lighter than the originals, but that's because the straps are narrower and the sole is not as thick. I believe a firmer, thicker sole is more protective of your feet. I don't think you'd really want a sandal that's too flexible as then you'd be feeling every rock underfoot and it wouldn't give you any support. Just my two cents...

My visit with a podiatrist changed my life (and hiking and pain levels). Actually took two docs as the first seemed off track, and was. I think there are a lot of foot, even knee, issues that can be controlled with a correct diagnosis.

That said, I wanted to comment on sandals. The Verra were too flexible, and as someone said, that goes along with less support. I settled on Teva Tirra as it had a more rigid last and good adjustability for foot swelling. I wore them in training for my 12 hour work days and for hiking on asphalt trails with my loaded pack for 8 miles and them seemed ok. The tread was deep enough to grip rock surfaces

BUT! This did not come up to the challenge of the foot and shoes on uneven trail surfaces. The rub spots and slightly imperfect fit with that kind of motion made these only wearable in town after showers.
They would NOT have worked as a replacement for shoes had I needed that. Fortunately no blisters in 900km!
I vowed that the next sandal I got would fit regardless of weight.
( the Cambrian sandal I bought was superb but the D width won't work for my 2E feet- gonna sell these gems )
Some have talked about loving the Zero sandal but like a flip flop, the minimalist support won't work for most people

Like others I recommend knowing your foot size. My true is 7.5 2E and REI carries up to D width. They were totally willing to let me try those and decide if one would fit and often the shoes felt ok in the store. But nothing worked till I got into the correct size (or up)

Know what level support you need. Settling for less even if that worked for others, will only result in pain.

Fit first. Weight second
Nanc

I wore my hiking socks to eliminate any rubbing from the straps. I also noticed that if my pack went over 15-16 lbs (with too much food or water) I'd start to get a small blister under my footpad. 15lbs or less, I'd be fine.

Thank you everyone for the advise and some shoes / sandals to try. I may have a collection for everyday wear and the perfect one for the Comino LOL. I'll just keep trying until I find what truly works for me. I have never spent this much on shoes in so short a time, with maybe more to purchase soon. Hard to do, even though I know it will be well worth it in the long run (hike).

IMG_0113.JPG
I just ordered another pair of hiking sandals. I have purchased 3 pair already. The shower / evening sandals were easy as I won't wear them for long periods. The trekking sandals .... another animal all together. I want soft and bendable, good soles, adjustable straps everywhere and light weight. I have the Ecco Yucatan Sandals and they fit well, don't rub and work well - except my feet feel tired / sore on the bottoms after a 1 mile walk, just the bottoms. This is with or without a light pack. It is also with or without socks. There doesn't seem to be enough cushion to keep my feet happy.

So I will have Teva Tirra Sandals in just a few days. They are lighter weight and are supposed to have more cushion. Wish I could just wear my Clark everyday sandals, they are so comfortable I forget I am wearing shoes.

I guess my question is, do I just keep using the Ecco sandals until I build up callouses or look for an insert? Or just give up on them? The reviews have all been great, maybe I am doing something wrong.

I walked the entire Camino Frances in Keen Sandles...No Blisters...I actually ordered men's, not that I have wide feet...more toe space. No matter what sandle you choose they need to be worked in over time and wore with thick socks.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
I walked the Primitivo in Boots and as I am a long distance walker I usually never have problems.
I just read a blog of another LDW fanatic and they suggest trailrunner shoes. Think I give this a try for the Portugues and they also mention the waterproof and other issues which seem myths to them.

I will write about it.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I mostly wore my Chaco sandals on the Camino. Also occasionally wore my Altra Lone Peaks, but changed into my sandals most days.
Have you checked out Chacos Z1 Unaweep sandals? They have adjustable straps, a high built-in arch and thick Vibram soles. Last year, due to toe blisters, I ended up walking the Camino in NorthFace sandals that I bought in Logrono out of desperation. The soles were not thick enough and the bottoms of my feet felt bruised by the time I got to Santiago. When I returned, I looked for a heavy duty hiking sandal and found the Unaweeps. I wear a women's 9, bought a Men's 7 and they fit perfectly. I think they would be ideal for the Camino.

Absolutely! I wore Chacos most of the time, both CF walks I did. I got a women's wide. Men's would likely work, too.

I'm sorely tempted to wear my Merrell sandals on my next (as yet unplanned) Camino. I wore them almost every day for 7 weeks on my recent trip to Guatemala. I walked an average of 8 miles per day, and did several hikes on terrain much more difficult than the Camino. The only thing stopping me is that they got pretty stinky, and I had to wash them and really scrub my feet most every day. I was wearing them without socks, so I suppose that wearing socks could alleviate that problem.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.