• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

And I am IN Valencia!

LAndre83

Time of past OR future Camino
Future: Camino de Levante (September 2018)
Just arrived a few short hours ago after somehow managing to have booked 36 hours of travel. *shrug* It should have been closer to 12 but you know... I didn’t really think through the cost/benefit side. LOL!

I’m going to spend the day tomorrow touristing around Valencia, going to the Pilgrim office, and getting all that squared away. Then, bright and early Thursday, I’m thinking before the sun has risen, hitting the trail and knocking out this big first leg.

Cant believe it’s finally time to do this!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just arrived a few short hours ago after somehow managing to have booked 36 hours of travel. *shrug* It should have been closer to 12 but you know... I didn’t really think through the cost/benefit side. LOL!

I’m going to spend the day tomorrow touristing around Valencia, going to the Pilgrim office, and getting all that squared away. Then, bright and early Thursday, I’m thinking before the sun has risen, hitting the trail and knocking out this big first leg.

Buen Camino @LAndre83
Sounds great though - empty canvas ahead of you . Have you spied any other pilgrims (likeky fellow walkers ) in the area?

Annie

If you get the chance to go to the Mercado Central tomorrow (Plaça de la Ciutat de Bruges) you won't be disappointed - you also might never leave! Open early morning until about 3pm.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Buen Camino @LAndre83
Sounds great though - empty canvas ahead of you . Have you spied any other pilgrims (likeky fellow walkers ) in the area?

Annie

I think I saw a few people that may be peligrinos. Though a lot of people use hiking style bags for just getting around it seems. The ones I saw had very heavy hiking boats though, so that’s why I thought maybe they were doing th Camino as well.

I think I saw a few people that may be peligrinos. Though a lot of people use hiking style bags for just getting around it seems. The ones I saw had very heavy hiking boats though, so that’s why I thought maybe they were doing th Camino as well.
I’m envious as I’d love to visit Valencia and walk out. maybe one day. If you do find wifi and can post a pic of the place ., it would be much appreciated.
Buen Camino and enjoy your day at leisure.
Annie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Well, if you see peregrinos with heavy hiking boots for the Camino de Levante, you can tell them they have chosen the WRONG shoes! This camino has very little of what you would call hard core wilderness trail. I think the first four days on asphalt from Valencia in heavy hiking boots could be the end of those feet.

Anyway, LAndre, I hope you have a wonderful camino. There is a small group of us here who have walked (and loved) the Levante, and we would be so happy to hear how it goes for you. There are a lot of beautiful castles, lovely small cities, and plenty of good food along the way. Are you going to try to stay in albergues where possible? When I walked this route years ago, about half of the stages had albergues, but I think the number is higher now. Buen camino Laurie

Hola, Andre!

I'm one of those that Laurie mentioned who walked the Levante. Apart from Toledo - Avila stretch which I'll walk in one of the planned combo caminos.
If you go to Muxia and/or Fisterra after the Santiago think about starting right out of the Mediterranean Sea and then you can end in Atlantic Ocean ;) It's a special feeling of accomplishment. And in Valencia it only adds (from shore to cathedral) about an hour to your first stage.

Buen Camino!

Hi Andre, How exciting for you. My plans are to walk the Levante in spring 2019. I value all the information I’ve gleaned from folks on the forum, but it would be great to hear from someone currently on the Camino. Will you be posting a blog? If not, I hope you’ll post a picture or two and update us on your adventure in the forum. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I too will be walking this route in early Spring 2019. I’d be interested in following you on a blog if you are doing one.
Buen Camino! And travel safe!

Hello LAndre, you are probably the man from Virginia I saw this morning at the AACS. For your information tomorrow will also start from Valencia a man from here, but he says he walk 40 and more km every day.
Also starting to morrow a couple of seniors from the french south Britanny, for 20-25 km/day.
Of course this is only people who visited us at the Association, it may have more...
Buen Camino
Jean-luc

Yes, JLWV, that was me! Thank you for the heads up. Very nervous to start but I’m sure once I start I’ll be okay. Thank you for everything at the office today!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello LAndre, you are probably the man from Virginia I saw this morning at the AACS. For your information tomorrow will also start from Valencia a man from here, but he says he walk 40 and more km every day.
Also starting to morrow a couple of seniors from the french south Britanny, for 20-25 km/day.
Of course this is only people who visited us at the Association, it may have more...
Buen Camino
Jean-luc
Hey, Jean-Luc, nice to hear from you again and that you are still serving us pilgrims!!!
:)

Moltes Gracies!

Buen Camino
Jean-luc
Hello Jean Luc

A little bird told me that you might have an up to date albergue list ? I would very much appreciate if you could post one here ? I am thinking of walking the Levante at the end of Oct to end of November. Is this a time for terrible weather and torrential rain ? Any links at I would be grateful for. Many thanks,
Mary xx

Last edited:
The Levante is one of my favourite routes. Decided to do it again last year..went from Alicante toZamora then train to Valencia to do it again..then onto Logrono back down to Barcelona. I like walking in summer but didn't find it a problem. Saw 4 other walkers but I didn't stay in albergues except for San Clemente when there was a festa so everthing was closed so I called on the Police who directed me to the albergue..pretty good with 3 bedrooms with single beds with sheets..but no kitchen.
I do like the solitude and stay in hostels/hotels..I likie a bit of comfort!
The stretch from San Bartolome to Avila is a bit of a challenge. I've taken the road twice and a "short cut" through the valley..more picturesque but I thought a bit harder.
Anyway..I great route..blissfully uncrowded.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So this route did not go according to plan. I found I had a very hard time with it, especially since my Spanish was not as good as I thought it was. Physically, it wasn’t particularly terrible, but I found myself sleeping so poorly that it made walking so much harder (even before starting!). The heat was a lot harder than I was expecting and mentally, I was no where close to being prepared.

Also, when I got to Xativa, I was not able to find a room. None of the numbers in the guide or Sheffield James’ post worked. The new number I got at the pilgrim’s office also did not work. When I called it the person who answered said that they were not with the albergue (that much I understood). I tried several hotels, and they were either booked or closed. After walking from Algemesi, I was exhausted and went back to Valencia to re-strategize.

I’m going to switch to the Frances tomorrow. The Levante will be done!... just not on this go around.

My main question is: do I need to get a new Credencial del Peregrino (since the one I have indicates my starting city of Valencia) or am I good to go?

Thank you!

Hi, Andre,

If the credencial and stamps are very important to you as to show "complete" Camino you have walked then get a new one. Or if you want to start again in Xativa in the future the answer would be the same. But otherwise just use the same one.

BTW I'm sorry to hear you couldn't get the right phone numbers. Albergue Turistico El Cigroner is a gem for the price and really easy to find.

Buen Camino

Hi LAndre, I am sorry to hear you had so severe problem, I hope in the future you can walk it again.

As long as you have not the final stamp of Santiago's Pilgrim Office on your credential, you can continue using it.

Buen camino, … on the francés.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.