• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

...and the Camino gets busier every year

dgallen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (6), Primitivo(3), Finisterre/Muxia (3), Aragones, Norte, Portuguese, Camino del Rey
Subjective title here, but I normally do April Caminos and this one is a busy one. Arrived on the noon train on April 1st and after checking into the pilgrim office headed up to Orisson. Orisson has a renovation underway with an additional 16 beds (underneath the outdoor patio... quite the view). Still a little "fresh" as the showers are not yet completed (you have to use the older showers behind the restaurant) and the washroom stalls lack doors, but probably will be completed before the Easter rush starts.

Napoleon was obviously open and weather was overcast with short drizzles and later in the day some sunny breaks... good walking weather. No snow on the paths and muddy sections very limited with the typical thick leaves on the Roncesvalles downhill side. A lot of Pilgrims followed the signs at the downhill forest or road option b4 RV (Pilgrim office suggests the little road and I agree). The road might be a little longer, but 100% easier on the knees and toes and has the spectacular views of RV. Oh, and the staff at RV warned of caring for valuables and cell phone as they had some thefts last week.

The SJPdP office was at their high efficient best. They do a fantastic service for new and not so new pilgrims.

They were expecting snow today and perhaps the next few days, so they may be shutting the route down for a few days. This report is Monday/Tuesday. Today between RV and Zubiri was ongoing drizzle with some snow pellets and around 2-5c in temperature. Most of the bars and restaurants are in full swing, so lots of places for coffee and zumo along the way. The portable food stand is open at the top of the mountain b4 Zubiri, and was doing booming business.

For early April the Camino is busy! RV was placing pilgrims up into the third floor and pilgrims meals were full in some of the restaurants. Lots of pilgrims on the trail. Seems like an after Easter crowd, rather than 3 weeks before. Zubiri tonight is a noted choke point, but is busy. The restaurants were full so will venture out for dinner Spanish style (ie after 8pm). More pilgrims seem to be prebooking beds these days so apps like Ultreia and a local phone SIM have become par for the course, else that dreaded top bunk!

We'll see how much the crowds thin as options increase along the way. For me, I'm quite happy to switch to the Primitivo at Burgos, if bed racing ensues.

Enough for now... food calls!

P.S. Typos result from this damn tablet!. Oh and I know the Napoleon vs Valcarlos is a touchy subject, but even with some low clouds, I'd choose Napoleon every time (3 time Valcarlos veteran).

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you so much for the “live” update. My girlfriends and I leave for our first Camino in just a few weeks, starting May 1st. Appreciate the detail as we are interested in the Napolean route as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I dont begrudge anyone pre-booking but I also hope it doesn't become the norm for a large majority either. Thanks for the updates!
Why not, JP? My sis and I prebooked on the CP, had no probs and met numerous fellow pilgrims.

Thx Degallen,
Your live post took me right there! I miss so much when I’m State side. My normal conversation is way too predictable. Camino-Camino-Camino. But I must say, I’ve created many new Peregrinos through conversations.
We are in Portugal now ready to start the Porto to SdC portion of the CP. it’s raining!!!
Oh well I’ll let you know how it goes.

Why not, JP? My sis and I prebooked on the CP, had no probs and met numerous fellow pilgrims.

It may just be an antiquated idea I have. I'm glad you had a good camino and as I said I don't begrudge anyone doing what makes them comfortable. It seems like it could be one of those things in life that as word of mouth passes or people read about it the dynamics slowly change and something that was once the rarity among pilgrims becomes the norm. Increasing numbers of pilgrims adds pressure to secure accommodation I'm sure. It is really just a personal opinion of mine and didn't add or take away anything from my camino experience or wish to return one day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It may just be an antiquated idea I have. I'm glad you had a good camino and as I said I don't begrudge anyone doing what makes them comfortable. It seems like it could be one of those things in life that as word of mouth passes or people read about it the dynamics slowly change and something that was once the rarity among pilgrims becomes the norm. Increasing numbers of pilgrims adds pressure to secure accommodation I'm sure. It is really just a personal opinion of mine and didn't add or take away anything from my camino experience or wish to return one day.

Sign of the times. We all like to harken back to the days when muni albergues were the only options but you knew you could take your time, walk without running and get a bed. Not so these days even with all the privates popping up. And since privates run on profits, many are not open b4 easter and certainly not in March. Over my past 10 camino years its easy to notice how April has become the new May, yet all the infrastructure is not in full swing (hence the theme of my posts). Calling ahead for a bed is the new unfortunate reality. The camino changes :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A lot of Pilgrims followed the signs at the downhill forest or road option b4 RV (Pilgrim office suggests the little road and I agree). The road might be a little longer, but 100% easier on the knees and toes and has the spectacular views of RV.
Can you please elaborate? I'll walk StJPP to RV April 20 and am clueless. Thanks!

Subjective title here, but I normally do April Caminos and this one is a busy one. Arrived on the noon train on April 1st and after checking into the pilgrim office headed up to Orisson. Orisson has a renovation underway with an additional 16 beds (underneath the outdoor patio... quite the view). Still a little "fresh" as the showers are not yet completed (you have to use the older showers behind the restaurant) and the washroom stalls lack doors, but probably will be completed before the Easter rush starts.

Napoleon was obviously open and weather was overcast with short drizzles and later in the day some sunny breaks... good walking weather. No snow on the paths and muddy sections very limited with the typical thick leaves on the Roncesvalles downhill side. A lot of Pilgrims followed the signs at the downhill forest or road option b4 RV (Pilgrim office suggests the little road and I agree). The road might be a little longer, but 100% easier on the knees and toes and has the spectacular views of RV. Oh, and the staff at RV warned of caring for valuables and cell phone as they had some thefts last week.

The SJPdP office was at their high efficient best. They do a fantastic service for new and not so new pilgrims.

They were expecting snow today and perhaps the next few days, so they may be shutting the route down for a few days. This report is Monday/Tuesday. Today between RV and Zubiri was ongoing drizzle with some snow pellets and around 2-5c in temperature. Most of the bars and restaurants are in full swing, so lots of places for coffee and zumo along the way. The portable food stand is open at the top of the mountain b4 Zubiri, and was doing booming business.

For early April the Camino is busy! RV was placing pilgrims up into the third floor and pilgrims meals were full in some of the restaurants. Lots of pilgrims on the trail. Seems like an after Easter crowd, rather than 3 weeks before. Zubiri tonight is a noted choke point, but is busy. The restaurants were full so will venture out for dinner Spanish style (ie after 8pm). More pilgrims seem to be prebooking beds these days so apps like Ultreia and a local phone SIM have become par for the course, else that dreaded top bunk!

We'll see how much the crowds thin as options increase along the way. For me, I'm quite happy to switch to the Primitivo at Burgos, if bed racing ensues.

P.S. Typos result from this damn tablet!. Oh and I know the Napoleon vs Valcarlos is a touchy subject, but even with some low clouds, I'd choose Napoleon every time (3 time Valcarlos veteran).

We start at SJPDP in May 1 or 2. I’ve been to SJPDP but I really haven’t seen it, just showed up, slept and walked. Is it worth walking to Orisson for the night? Can you tell me the cost for the night and if it’s full, are we out of luck? Please advise if you know.

MJ

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Calling ahead for a bed is the new unfortunate reality. The camino changes :)
One of the most enjoyable aspects of my first Camino was being able to walk all day without worrying about the bed race confident of finding somewhere to sleep when I eventually stopped for the night. The idea of having to pre-book a bed and therefore commit myself to predetermined daily stages sucks most of the joy out of the journey for me. So I now walk quieter routes and in off-seasons where it is still possible to be spontaneous.

Starting my Camino April 19-20. New. Do you suggest I do book rm inSJPdP?

Hey Caminojack,
I agree not booking gives one the total freedom and feeling of no commitment and the ability to go with the feeling in your gut.
That being said;
I wouldn’t miss staying at Orisson for anything. The experience of the dinner and each Peregrino being asked to stand and share where they’re from and why they are walking The Camino is priceless. At least to me it was.
Nevertheless,
It’s your camino and you have to choose. Orisson gets booked up fast so don’t wait if you decide to stop there.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I read you post..and can feel the excitement and anticipation. That first day-last September, was the hardest for me. It was hot, and by the time I reached Reconsville, I had run out of water, dehydrated and totally spent of energy. But it was exciting, seeing everyone come and go, knowing I had so much more to walk, and wondering what the heck I got myself in to. Did I bite off more then I could chew? I envy you, and pray you have a fun healthy walk. Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Sign of the times. We all like to harken back to the days when muni albergues were the only options but you knew you could take your time, walk without running and get a bed. Not so these days even with all the privates popping up. And since privates run on profits, many are not open b4 easter and certainly not in March. Over my past 10 camino years its easy to notice how April has become the new May, yet all the infrastructure is not in full swing (hence the theme of my posts). Calling ahead for a bed is the new unfortunate reality. The camino changes :)

This was the unfortunate reality that caused me a rude awakening in my rant on pre-bookers. The Camino has become a real possibility for me again but I hadn't been active on the forums for seven years so I was shocked at how much pre-booking had become a reality in one of the Camino FB groups I had recently begun following.

It seems like it could be one of those things in life that as word of mouth passes or people read about it the dynamics slowly change and something that was once the rarity among pilgrims becomes the norm. Increasing numbers of pilgrims adds pressure to secure accommodation I'm sure

That is exactly how the trends happen. Pre-booking is being taught at REI through American Pilgrims on the Camino as what you do. It is only on this forum that the spirit of pilgrimage is being taught to the next generation. After the roasting and education I recieved from my rant on pre-bookers I have gained tolerance for the many reasons why people might need to pre-book: they are a family or group of friends traveling together, they may have disabilities or physical challenges like myself, etc. I still object on principle to pre-booking just because everyone else is doing it. For me the best part of the Camino is the opportunity to let go and let God, allow for those synchronistic moments and meetings and happenings that keep serendipity alive.

Honestly, I think it is up to us as individual pilgrims and especially as forum members to first educate ourselves and then to educate others. For me being Camino-obsessed I have spent hours on the forum reading old threads that were of interest to me and one thing we do best on the forum is to allow for true debate to exist.

I wouldn’t miss staying at Orisson for anything. The experience of the dinner and each Peregrino being asked to stand and share where they’re from and why they are walking The Camino is priceless. At least to me it was.
Buen Camino

The question of why one is walking the camino is a distasteful one, in my humble opinion and is the reason I avoid the touchy-feely places on the route. To me, it's a question I would only ask after I had made some kind of connection with the other person. The answers may be highly personal. I have no issue with people volunteering their reasons for walking the camino, but asking people to stand up and share puts them on the spot and may make them uncomfortable. Introverts hate this.

One more reason, I guess, not to stop at Orisson.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Buen Camino peregrino.

If you would like a quiet Camino, try the Camino from Alicante, on my recent journey, arrived in Santiago 05/04/19, I met only 9 pilgrims over 1150km, 7 of those 9 cane in the last 300km, they where all doing the Via da la Plata.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey Jim,
I agree about the southern routes.2015 a friend and I took the Mozarabe from Granada
And the first 3 days we saw no one and no water stops!! But it was majestic and plenty of solitude.

The experience of the dinner and each Peregrino being asked to stand and share where they’re from and why they are walking The Camino is priceless

This occurred in St JPdP 12 years ago .
We gave our reasons ...we had a holiday home in France and met 20 people at least over the years who walked past our cottage who commenced from their homes as far away as Belgium , Paris and in one case Vienna .
***However 50% present in the albergue did not.
As we found out in the coming month when friendships were formed it would have been too painful .

The Camino has changed over the last decade so i can understand your experience in Orisson.

For me, I'm quite happy to switch to the Primitivo at Burgos, if bed racing ensues.
Commence in Mont St Michel , DG , and when you reach Bordeaux the number will be under a dozen ,
And in our case 1/2 we going the other way.
It was beautiful and peaceful with much warmth shown by the village people in Nth France.

So does this mean if we dont prebook..I start in mid April and only doing parts some in pyranees and then from O'cebreiro/Sarria..am I risking sleeping on the streets??

And can I even hope to stay at Orrisson without prebooking..depart SJPDP on the 14th April..

So does this mean if we dont prebook..I start in mid April and only doing parts some in pyranees and then from O'cebreiro/Sarria..am I risking sleeping on the streets??
It only means that you have the opportunity for unexpected delights and adventures. Perhaps you might have to take a taxi (or walk) a few km off the marked route to a place that might treat you like royalty. The camino is an opportunity to let the universe reveal itself.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't have any great need to be treated like royalty and not sure I can afford it anyway more the problemo! 🙄😂😂

The experience of the dinner and each Peregrino being asked to stand and share where they’re from and why they are walking The Camino is priceless.

I forgot to mention in the early reply Doug that in the Cathedral in Le Put En Velay the Priest says a morning mass for all the Pilgrims leaving that day and each Pilgrim states their place of abode.
Not the reason , just the place they come from .
All leaving that day attend as the end is 1800km away and the commencement is more severe than Frances........so nobody hurries early.
No albergues so no rushing BUT it is very wish to book ahead for the next 2 nights.
Le Puy is magical and 2-3 nights minimum before you depart just seeing this wonderful town.

I booked nothing on the Le Puy and lived to tell the tale.

The cathedral in Le Puy had a stack of letters/prayers in many languages. Those who were heading to Santiago were invited to take along one or two or more to deliver to the tomb of St James. The priest gave a blessing on our boots and packs and selves to keep us safe on the way.

It is truly an amazing cathedral.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Commence in Mont St Michel , DG , and when you reach Bordeaux the number will be under a dozen ,
And in our case 1/2 we going the other way.
It was beautiful and peaceful with much warmth shown by the village people in Nth France.
Thx... Love the Primitivo and just looking for an excuse to switch over :)

Im not saying prebook weeks in advance... If I know the place that day i want to get to is a noted choke point (ie limited beds), i call ahead that morning and see how busy they are. If it is a favourite albergue and they are busy then i book for that night. If i dont care i can just walk to the next town or do a return taxi. I dont do this often as like many others i like the flexibilty

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One of the most enjoyable aspects of my first Camino was being able to walk all day without worrying about the bed race confident of finding somewhere to sleep when I eventually stopped for the night. The idea of having to pre-book a bed and therefore commit myself to predetermined daily stages sucks most of the joy out of the journey for me. So I now walk quieter routes and in off-seasons where it is still possible to be spontaneous.
Yes me too I Not knocking crowds and pre booking etc But I prefer the less travelled caminos where I can pace myself more and stay in a town a couple of nights or do Short Walk one day . Probably age . Things have to change Nd infrastructures a big economical thrust on caminos Spain . Buen caminos to all busy or otherwise it’s still wonderful

It turns out I was more confident of finding a bed on my second Camino than my first. There were a lot more people. But there were also a lot more beds.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can you please elaborate? I'll walk StJPP to RV April 20 and am clueless. Thanks!
Debbi - There's a particular junction point on the descent into Roncesvalles. The Pilgrim Office recommends taking the option which descends more gradually. The alternative is a steep descent through a forested area, notorious for being slippery. If you search for maps on this Forum or check the guidebooks the junction is indicated. Since I have not walked a Camino before, I'm open to receiving advice (but given a choice between road and forest, I have to admit that a forest appeals more...)

It turns out I was more confident of finding a bed on my second Camino than my first. There were a lot more people. But there were also a lot more beds.

I never came across a "full" sign on my first Camino. But I've been reading a few posts in the past few days from people on the early stages of the Frances who are finding full albergues right now and walking much further than they had intended.

Debbi - There's a particular junction point on the descent into Roncesvalles. The Pilgrim Office recommends taking the option which descends more gradually. The alternative is a steep descent through a forested area, notorious for being slippery. If you search for maps on this Forum or check the guidebooks the junction is indicated. Since I have not walked a Camino before, I'm open to receiving advice (but given a choice between road and forest, I have to admit that a forest appeals more...)
The junction is marked, although some blow past without glancing at it. The junction is just after you have started going dowhill. The forest path is straight ahead, the road is to the right.

The forest path is through the woods. The road option still has short cuts through the curves, so you can walk on dirt if you want. The views are lovely. You'll pass the chapel at Ibañeta Pass, where the route from Valcarlos connects with you. My understanding is this 'longer' road route is only 400 metres longer than the forest path. Your knees will thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started my first Camino from St Jean mid September 2016, walked the whole route without prebooking anywhere. The only folk who did then were Americans.
Set off next week 17th from St Jean and believe my decision to start so close to Easter maybe a bad one as the last thing I fancy is a bed race and I don’t intend to prebook anywhere! 🤞 Fingers crossed I won’t be sleeping in The streets. 🙈

last thing I fancy is a bed race and I don’t intend to prebook anywhere! 🤞 Fingers crossed I won’t be sleeping in The streets. 🙈

Take a few extra quid , good exchange rate ;)
If you have to upgrade , just a fraction , to secure a bed , don't hesitate in the early stages.

I never came across a "full" sign on my first Camino. But I've been reading a few posts in the past few days from people on the early stages of the Frances who are finding full albergues right now and walking much further than they had intended.
O Cebreiro was "full" on my first camino. It was before the albergue was built. But they did let me lay out my sleeping bag in the common room floor in front of the fireplace when I entreated them. It was one of those times I really felt like a medieval pilgrim.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
O Cebreiro was "full" on my first camino. It was before the albergue was built. But they did let me lay out my sleeping bag in the common room floor in front of the fireplace when I entreated them. It was one of those times I really felt like a medieval pilgrim.
I felt like a very upmarket medieval pilgrim in O Cebreiro. I stayed in the hostal :cool: I do remember one peculiar event there. For postre at dinner I asked for fruit and was given some small green grapes. I was eating them with my left hand while scribbling in my diary with my right. Bad habit! Only halfway paying attention but one of the grapes felt a little hard. I looked at it and discovered it was a small green snail almost identical to the grapes and already starting to crawl down my finger :) I waved at the waiter who came over. I held up my finger for him to see. Then he nodded, picked off the snail and took my grapes to the kitchen and came back a minute later with some big black ones :)

I have walked both directions after the split and I prefer the road to the right. If there has been any recent rain the leaves on the floor of the forest are very difficult not to slip on. The road has some great views and doesn't take that much longer. You will have no problem finding the split, it is just after you reach the summit and start down hill.
Regarding Orisson, I would almost assure you that you will not find a bed without making a reservation; there is always the chance someone makes a late cancellation but the idea of arriving there and waiting for that to happen would probably find you having to take a taxi back to SJPdP.
The question about making a reservation in SJPdP is dependent on the time of day and day of the week you are arriving there. The Pilgrims' Office can make reservations for you but there is no assurance there will be vacant rooms. There are a few hotels in town which are large enough to handle a crowded day but they aren't inexpensive.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back