• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

And The Wife Went SPLAT!

rector

ONE HALF
Time of past OR future Camino
SJ-Sdc MAY (2011)
SJ-Sdc MAY (2014)
Sar-Sdc Oct (2015)
Pon-Sdc Ju (2016)
SJ-Log (2018)
It was Mid-May and in the office in St Jean we were told it is no go for the Napoleon, so it had to be Valcarlos. Now we have walked it before and I have said several times before on this forum, having walked both routes, the Napoleon is so much easier, especially in fine weather.
So there we were wet and and as we are not the youngest, quite tired, when we reached the narrow path near the summit, the one with the barbed wire fence separating you from the drop on the other side. There was a complication though, a tree had fallen across the path, flattening the fence and blocking the way. The space under would have meant that we would have had to crawl in the mud, so I simply stepped over the end of the tree, which over hung the drop, now cleared of the protecting fence. That meant that I was stepping over the drop, but all went well, that is until Linda stepped over, it was a simple step but she did not see the barbed wire coiled up. Her nice new Merrils caught the wire and she went Splat into 3 inches of watery mud, over her coat, up her arms, into her mouth, into her glasses, and up her nose. Not very dignified for someone the other side of mid-sixties. Later after the receptionist in the Hotel Roncesvalles had very diplomatically suggested that we might want to clean up before we formally booked in, we laughed until we cried, but that may be because we were standing in a luxurious shower wearing various bits of Linda's mud incrusted walking gear. Can I take this opportunity to thank the staff of the hotel who are always the best and most considerate and helpful of people, and indeed the vast majority of staff on the Pilgrimage.
On another note though, it could, if Linda had fallen two feet earlier, been a lot less funny and indeed deadly. So once again folks, take nothing for granted, and as they used to say on an old Police drama, be careful out there.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It was Mid-May and in the office in St Jean we were told it is no go for the Napoleon, so it had to be Valcarlos. Now we have walked it before and I have said several times before on this forum, having walked both routes, the Napoleon is so much easier, especially in fine weather.
So there we were wet and and as we are not the youngest, quite tired, when we reached the narrow path near the summit, the one with the barbed wire fence separating you from the drop on the other side. There was a complication though, a tree had fallen across the path, flattening the fence and blocking the way. The space under would have meant that we would have had to crawl in the mud, so I simply stepped over the end of the tree, which over hung the drop, now cleared of the protecting fence. That meant that I was stepping over the drop, but all went well, that is until Linda stepped over, it was a simple step but she did not see the barbed wire coiled up. Her nice new Merrils caught the wire and she went Splat into 3 inches of watery mud, over her coat, up her arms, into her mouth, into her glasses, and up her nose. Not very dignified for someone the other side of mid-sixties. Later after the receptionist in the Hotel Roncesvalles had very diplomatically suggested that we might want to clean up before we formally booked in, we laughed until we cried, but that may be because we were standing in a luxurious shower wearing various bits of Linda's mud incrusted walking gear. Can I take this opportunity to thank the staff of the hotel who are always the best and most considerate and helpful of people, and indeed the vast majority of staff on the Pilgrimage.
On another note though, it could, if Linda had fallen two feet earlier, been a lot less funny and indeed deadly. So once again folks, take nothing for granted, and as they used to say on an old Police drama, be careful out there.

Glad you made it safely! A sense of humor goes a long way!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bah boom!

Congratulations.

Next time go later so your wife can enjoy Napolean.
We are doing a wee job in Santiago on the first three Sundays in September in Santiago, so not this year, but THE WIFE, Linda is so keen to go over the Napoleon that we are going to rent a little apartment in St Jean that we know for 4 days and go over on a good day perhaps in July next year

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Glad, you an your wife made it safely, but I'm a bit surprised reading that you find the Napoleon route easier than Valcarlos. Being a newbie I thougt the latter is supposed to be easier to walk, having read that here quite often. Could you please explain why the Napoleon route ist easier in your eyes?

Glad, you an your wife made it safely, but I'm a bit surprised reading that you find the Napoleon route easier than Valcarlos. Being a newbie I thougt the latter is supposed to be easier to walk, having read that here quite often. Could you please explain why the Napoleon route ist easier in your eyes?

There is no doubt that our three experiences of St Jean to Roncesvalles tell us that the Napoleon feels like an easier walk. The reason why though is more speculative, if look at a comparison incline and elevation map, the first place would tell you that you do not climb as high on the Valcarlos route and that is correct and there is a steep 7km climb as you start off on the Napoleon, but the surface is good and after that initial climb to Orrison it is a long Sunday walk until the drop into Roncesvalles ( which can be avoided by a right turn at the right point).
The Valcarlos route is fine until you come off the side roads and enter the forest in wet weather the paths are poor maintained and have poor surfaces often mud choked with potentially dangerous drops into the river.
The real problem though is that I would argue this point. I believe the accumulated ups and downs make for more accent per km and the real killer is that the steep accent when you are fresh on the Napoleon is replaced by a steeper, though shorter incline at the end and that is the joy robber that is the killer.
Put simply, we are in our late sixties St Jean to Roncessvalles x Valcarlos twice 9.5Hrs St Jean to Roncessvalles by Napoleon once 7.5Hrs I rest my case However there will be disagreement over this But I am sure that I am right

Last edited:
I am surprised to hear that the Napoleon was a no-go in May, so late in the year. Is this normal? We had hoped to do our Camino starting in mid to late April and ending in May to avoid the heat and the worst of the crowds.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have not walked the Napoleon route, but I agree with @rector 's description of Valcarlos. From the village of Valcarlos (one of my favorites!) to Roncesvalles it is a very steep incline, over a short distance. And the off-road sections, which make up most of it in good weather, are more like genuine back country hiking trails than just about anywhere else I've experienced along the Camino Francés.

It is a beautiful trail, and I'm very glad I took it. But I was also very glad I wore boots. And after walking it, I bought poles at the very first opportunity.

Incidentally, it is also the historic path, the route that Charlemagne himself took (although in the opposite direction). The so-called Napoleon route is of more recent vintage, and from everything I've read, there is no indication that Napoleon ever set foot on it. :eek::)

I am surprised to hear that the Napoleon was a no-go in May, so late in the year. Is this normal? We had hoped to do our Camino starting in mid to late April and ending in May to avoid the heat and the worst of the crowds.
It was snow and we had left on the same day two years ago and went over in brilliant sunshine, the day before it had snowed if you check my posts above you will see that in order to make sure my wife gets her Napoleon we are going to spend 3 days in St Jean in July and pick the best day

The most important thing is that you got the mud washed off, and no harm done. But the best thing is, you reminded me of one of my favourite programmes from the days when I used to watch tele! It was such a good programme!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is no doubt that our three experiences of St Jean to Roncesvalles tell us that the Napoleon feels like an easier walk. The reason why though is more speculative, if look at a comparison incline and elevation map, the first place would tell you that you do not climb as high on the Valcarlos route and that is correct and there is a steep 7km climb as you start off on the Napoleon, but the surface is good and after that initial climb to Orrison it is a long Sunday walk until the drop into Roncesvalles ( which can be avoided by a right turn at the right point).
The Valcarlos route is fine until you come off the side roads and enter the forest in wet weather the paths are poor maintained and have poor surfaces often mud choked with potentially dangerous drops into the river.
The real problem though is that I would argue this point. I believe the accumulated ups and downs make for more accent per km and the real killer is that the steep accent when you are fresh on the Napoleon is replaced by a steeper, though shorter incline at the end and that is the joy robber that is the killer.
Thanks very much for your detailed answer. I've checked on both trails via YouTube, but one couldn't really compare the paths - especially since they were both taken at dry, sunny weather.

I did already think about that last part from Valcarlos to Roncevalles, because I checked the profile - quite long and always uphill - and compared it to one close to the place I'm living and was already wondering which way would be the right one for me.

So, at the moment I've got some new informations to chew on.

The most important thing is that you got the mud washed off, and no harm done. But the best thing is, you reminded me of one of my favourite programmes from the days when I used to watch tele! It was such a good programme!
Question kirkie What was the program?

Thanks very much for your detailed answer. I've checked on both trails via YouTube, but one couldn't really compare the paths - especially since they were both taken at dry, sunny weather.

I did already think about that last part from Valcarlos to Roncevalles, because I checked the profile - quite long and always uphill - and compared it to one close to the place I'm living and was already wondering which way would be the right one for me.

So, at the moment I've got some new informations to chew on.
Hi Sugargypsy If you had a copy of any of the guides most have an elevation silhouette side by side for comparison and you can see what I mean all the best anyway

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't have the detailed information at hand but I've sent GPS tracks of the two routes from SJPdP to the route's high points to a profile drawing program that also computed elevation gain and the cumlative elevation gain for the routes are very close. This is due to the ups and downs of the Valcarlos valley route and the relatively smooth curve of the ridge on the Napoleon Route.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't have the detailed information at hand but I've sent GPS tracks of the two routes from SJPdP to the route's high points to a profile drawing program that also computed elevation gain and the cumlative elevation gain for the routes are very close. This is due to the ups and downs of the Valcarlos valley route and the relatively smooth curve of the ridge on the Napoleon Route.
You my friend are a class act well done So it is down to the difficulty of the surface and the fact that the incline is at the end in Valcarlos as opposed the beginning when you are fresh on the Napoleon well done Rick

Hello Rector and spouse, I know exactly what your wife went through as I went Splat 4 time this year while doing the Del Norte. It was wet, ankle deep mud and freezing cold but as soon as hubby and i came to our next albergue our fellow pilgrims and the hospitalero/a's made it all worth while. A good laugh seems to
clear the mind.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello Rector and spouse, I know exactly what your wife went through as I went Splat 4 time this year while doing the Del Norte. It was wet, ankle deep mud and freezing cold but as soon as hubby and i came to our next albergue our fellow pilgrims and the hospitalero/a's made it all worth while. A good laugh seems to
clear the mind.
Thats right everyone talks about what you need to pack for the camino but that should be the first thing in the bag

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back