• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"And then there were 4"

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
This spring I will be starting the Frances route again from SJPdP, only this time I will be traveling with three additional family members. Since we are a group of four, I am wondering how difficult it may be to find albergues, (both munis and private) along the way that can accomodate all of us without booking ahead. We will be starting our Caminoon Holy Week and have prebooked those days, but we are hoping to wing it for the majority.

Could I get some input from those of you who have travelled with four family members or friends...did you have problems all finding beds together?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You'll have a far better idea than other members will by the time you have walked through Holy Week. You'll know how many are out & about and the size of the 'pilgrim-wave' you are in. You will know about your own groups walking speeds and distances, and their accommodation preferences. At that point you can start booking a day or so ahead if you feel its necessary or will provide you with comfort. The only time I ever booked accommodation on camino was in Villafranca del Bierzo to meet The Beloved. I arrived two days early. :p

While I was walking alone, I never had a problem finding a bed. With friends, it was harder. I have wondered if it would make sense to just stay at different albergues in a town if you need to. It's only for sleeping and you can meet up the next morning. Otherwise, planning and booking ahead and/or being open to more expensive options than albergues would be the way to go.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
While I was walking alone, I never had a problem finding a bed. With friends, it was harder. I have wondered if it would make sense to just stay at different albergues in a town if you need to. It's only for sleeping and you can meet up the next morning. Otherwise, planning and booking ahead and/or being open to more expensive options than albergues would be the way to go.
Thank you for your opinion and ideas. I guess our best idea then if we prefer to usually wing it most days would be to make sure we end daily in towns that have 2 or more albergues as options.

This spring I will be starting the Frances route again from SJPdP, only this time I will be traveling with three additional family members. Since we are a group of four, I am wondering how difficult it may be to find albergues, (both munis and private) along the way that can accomodate all of us without booking ahead. We will be starting our Caminoon Holy Week and have prebooked those days, but we are hoping to wing it for the majority.

Could I get some input from those of you who have travelled with four family members or friends...did you have problems all finding beds together?
In June 2015, three of us walked from Burgos to Santiago. Because we walked slow, we found it difficult to find beds for 3 in the same albergue at the end of a long day. I think we were also walking around a wave of pilgrims. So we did decide for peace of mind to call in the morning to reserve a private albergue. This was especially true after Sarria when the crowd of pilgrims becomes an army.

In June 2015, three of us walked from Burgos to Santiago. Because we walked slow, we found it difficult to find beds for 3 in the same albergue at the end of a long day. I think we were also walking around a wave of pilgrims. So we did decide for peace of mind to call in the morning to reserve a private albergue. This was especially true after Sarria when the crowd of pilgrims becomes an army.
Thank you. Good to know we will need to be vigilant and flexible if we hope to stay together in albergues.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Four of us. Me, a niece, and her two sons, 15 and 16.
Not a problem.
We started each September day 7.30-ish, finished by 2pm.
Zubiri, being a choke point, we went to three before finding plenty of beds available in the fourth.
Regards
Gerard

I have walked with four kids and also with all eight kids and hubby and Grandpa (11 in total). We always got beds. Then again, we always finished at a reasonable time and were happy to wait in a queue outside an albergue if necessary.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes, one very important factor is what time you decide to stop for the day. If you get to town around 1pm, you should mostly be okay. I averaged 20K a day and almost always arrived before 1pm. I also had the WisePilgrim app on my phone which was easy to use to find out about albergues and it even connects you to booking.com if you want to book ahead. Simple to use.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back