• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

And we made it!!

GettingThere

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Roncesvalles-SdC Apr-Jun 2015
Roncesvalles-Sarria Sep-Oct 2017
C. Frances sections Apr-Jun 2019
Wow, yes! We really did!

Two years ago my mother and I started planning to walk the Camino Francés. We initially planned to go in September 2014, but 10 days before we were due to leave I had a doctor's appointment which led to a diagnosis of endometrial cancer and the need for major surgery (I've mentioned this before on the Forum). So tickets were canceled and surgery was had (along with 2 months off work), with a delayed Camino my major goal, planning for an April departure instead. My recovery was good, although both of us had various other issues through our planning period including Achilles tendinitis (me) and a broken vertebra (my mother). But we persevered and on April 16th we set off from Roncesvalles.

We started with very short days and although we increased our distances a bit we never did manage long stages. We found we walked quite slowly (me especially, mainly due to my Achilles issues and my feet being quite sore after a few km) and our average was only around 12km a day. We had planned a long-ish timeframe but realized after a while that at the pace we were going we would run out of time. It was important to us to get to Santiago so we made the decision to get a train from Burgos to Leon. Not what we had wanted to do, but we would not have reached Santiago otherwise.

Apart from the slowness we were doing pretty well until just before Trabadelo when my mother fell and landed on some fallen branches, bruising her leg badly. She limped on and we actually made it to our destination for that day (Vega) but after that decided the leg needed a few days rest. So we took the next few days by taxi, still staying where we had planned, and starting to walk again just before Sarria. Since then we've plodded along, slow but sure, and finally arrived in Santiago yesterday after staying the previous night in Lavacolla. It was a pretty overwhelming and emotional experience to arrive at last! We went to the Pilgrims Office and were given our final stamp and Compostelas, and were in time to get to the Pilgrims Mass.

The Camino has been an amazing experience for us. The people we have met, the wonderful scenery and all the Spring flowers, the food and all the very different places we have stayed - it will take a while to process it all. We went back again to the Pilgrims Mass today, heard our destination and country of origin called out, saw the botafumeiro swing (yay!) and got just as much if not more from the experience as yesterday. We're going to stay in Santiago for a few days to rest and have some quiet time, before we set off for home.

This Forum has been an invaluable source of advice, encouragement and information, both during the planning stages and during our Camino. Thank you all so much.

And we made it to Santiago! We're really, truly here!!!

EDIT: I must also just add that we had the most amazing weather! Despite it being Spring we hardly had more than an hour of drizzle the entire way. Very pleased not to have to contend with mud!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Congratulations! What a great feeling it must have been walking into Santiago de Compostela. What a gift to have done the the camino with your mother!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You and your Mom sound like two very plucky woman. Yes, I can just imagine how "overwhelming and emotional" it must have felt to finally complete your Camino, after all you have had to contend with. What determination you had to bring your plans to fruition; so inspirational! And as ricitosdeplata said in her post, it is indeed a gift that you and your Mom undertook and completed this journey together. I'm so very happy for you both.

Last edited:
That is fantastic, congratulations!

many congrats to both of you both of you have accomplished a very special thing in both your lives be happy others can only dream

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Congratulations! Your determination is truly inspirational. :)

@GettingThere, as others have said, not only is the determination of you and your mother an inspiration to us all, but also the wonderful experience of walking with a parent - something that I would have loved to have done, if only I had heard of the Camino earlier.
Fabulous - Congratulations.
Suzanne :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wow, yes! We really did!

Two years ago my mother and I started planning to walk the Camino Francés. We initially planned to go in September 2014, but 10 days before we were due to leave I had a doctor's appointment which led to a diagnosis of endometrial cancer and the need for major surgery (I've mentioned this before on the Forum). So tickets were canceled and surgery was had (along with 2 months off work), with a delayed Camino my major goal, planning for an April departure instead. My recovery was good, although both of us had various other issues through our planning period including Achilles tendinitis (me) and a broken vertebra (my mother). But we persevered and on April 16th we set off from Roncesvalles.

We started with very short days and although we increased our distances a bit we never did manage long stages. We found we walked quite slowly (me especially, mainly due to my Achilles issues and my feet being quite sore after a few km) and our average was only around 12km a day. We had planned a long-ish timeframe but realized after a while that at the pace we were going we would run out of time. It was important to us to get to Santiago so we made the decision to get a train from Burgos to Leon. Not what we had wanted to do, but we would not have reached Santiago otherwise.

Apart from the slowness we were doing pretty well until just before Trabadelo when my mother fell and landed on some fallen branches, bruising her leg badly. She limped on and we actually made it to our destination for that day (Vega) but after that decided the leg needed a few days rest. So we took the next few days by taxi, still staying where we had planned, and starting to walk again just before Sarria. Since then we've plodded along, slow but sure, and finally arrived in Santiago yesterday after staying the previous night in Lavacolla. It was a pretty overwhelming and emotional experience to arrive at last! We went to the Pilgrims Office and were given our final stamp and Compostelas, and were in time to get to the Pilgrims Mass.

The Camino has been an amazing experience for us. The people we have met, the wonderful scenery and all the Spring flowers, the food and all the very different places we have stayed - it will take a while to process it all. We went back again to the Pilgrims Mass today, heard our destination and country of origin called out, saw the botafumeiro swing (yay!) and got just as much if not more from the experience as yesterday. We're going to stay in Santiago for a few days to rest and have some quiet time, before we set off for home.

This Forum has been an invaluable source of advice, encouragement and information, both during the planning stages and during our Camino. Thank you all so much.

EDIT: I must also just add that we had the most amazing weather! Despite it being Spring we hardly had more than an hour of drizzle the entire way. Very pleased not to have to contend with mud!
That's great, my congratulations to you both. Wish you both well, Peter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How wonderful that you were able to persevere through some adversity and have such a wonderful experience together!

Thank you for sharing your journey with the Forum. It has not been an easy Camino for you and I'm so glad you made it, congratulations!
Maybe you have another Camino waiting for you!
The best to you and your mother, buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Congrats from a know slow poke. I understand the pain of walking with sore blistered, hot feet. I also understand the joy of a wonderful journey now completed. Enjoy the memories of your journey. Burn Camino.

Wow, yes! We really did!

So glad to read of your Camino , your determination and finish congrats you are truly two strong and determined people and an encouragement to others such as my self ... God Bless you both, have a wonderful time on your reflections and trip home. buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well done to both of you....I know some of the temperatures you may have endured on your journey....and I may have unknowingly passed you along the way.....it certainly was a beautiful time of year to walk....the flowers like an English country cottage garden.....you are both amazing ....what memories you have created together x

Nothing wrong with being a slow walker, you really get to see and enjoy it more, I think. Glad to hear that you perservered despite some hardships. Very well done, Mom and daughter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back