• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Andalucian Coast-to-coast Walk

Helen1

Time of past OR future Camino
London to Santiago (2014)
Narbonne to Oloron (2015)
Camino Portugues (2016)
Sentier Cathar (2017)
This isn't a pilgrimage route but it is in Spain so hopefully no one will mind too much about me posting this... Has anyone walked the Andalucian Coast-to-coast Walk and have an experience to share? Any other routes in the area that you would recommend as an alternative?

Author/Publisher description of the guidebook:

“I wanted the route to link as many of southern Spain’s Natural Parks as possible and for each leg to be structured so that it could be comfortably covered in a full day by anyone in reasonably good health,” he continues. “And, above all, I wanted to avoid tarmac at all costs.” The result of months of research, trail-bashing and many a doubling-back is a stunning, 21 day trail which traverses no less than seven of Andalucía’s most beautiful protected areas. The trail begins on the lovely stretch of sand beneath Maro, just east of Nerja. Cutting inland via the incredible Liman trail – an amazing first day of walking – the route leads on through stunning hilltop villages including Frigiliana, Alcaucín, Carratraca, Jimena and Castillo de Castellar. The walk takes in fascinating towns, like Ronda and Tarifa and key archaeological sites like Barbastro, the Cueva de Nerja and the Roman ruins of Baelo Claudio. It also follows long sections of Roman and Berber footpaths and leads you through deep gorges and over high passes. The final section of the walk follows a sinuous mountain trail down to the Atlantic Ocean where the walk ends beside the beautiful beach of Bolonia. Over the course of this 430 kilometre trail you’ll see ibex and deer, mongoose and foxes, vultures and eagles, yet will meet with few other walkers along the way."

Guide book on Amazon

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Helen, we spent six weeks walking all of the Guy Hunter-Watts Coast-to-Coast route from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic three years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has a lot of variety in terms of the types of terrain, it takes you though beautiful areas, the stages are manageable distances, and the people you meet in the small villages are friendly and helpful. We stayed two nights in each place so that we could explore the area, visit the museums, etc. If you contact Guy directly, he will send you the GPS files for the route. If you have any questions about it, I'd be glad to help any way I can. Some of this route also coincides with the TransAndalus mountain bike route and there is a great deal of information on their website, http://www.transandalus.es
Elaine

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My coast to coast walk was from Malaga and the Mediterranean to Finisterre and the Atlantic. Seven weeks of walking heaven!

My coast to coast walk was from Malaga and the Mediterranean to Finisterre and the Atlantic. Seven weeks of walking heaven!
This does indeed sound "heavenly", and I would love to make this my next camino, but.... the "deep gorges and high passes" worry me. I will walk on my own, 72 year old female, fit but anything can happen, will I be able to contact emergency services etc. Are there albergues within reasonable distance between villages and towns?

This was also a question I had, what are the accents like, I don't mind the descents, not a problem for me, but with the old ticker problem anything worse than the Frances could be a problem.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back